7.2

1. Apr 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this movie very much. Concept of the movie was great! Special effect was amazing. So i think this movie is better for any kids or animation lovers :) Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that Academy Award, that film was actually creative; I felt that they just gave the film that reward just because it's Pixar...that's it. Besides the Cars films, Brave is one of Pixar's biggest mistakes. I would not recommend it. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2014
    brave is a okay animated film . to much a mother and daughter fight in an animated film sort of like peabody and sherman . but this not like it . this film is a irish jig film thats whats cool about it Grade D
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    "Brave" is darker and more violent than other Pixar movies, and although it's slightly weaker than some other Pixar films, it still delivers plenty of humor, fun and emotion. The film makes a solid family & kids film.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    A safe, average Pixar film which conjures up the usual emotions with its usual plot. It contains some rather surprisingly mature humour and also some good music, and voice acting (although it took me a good few times to register the name Merida as not them exclaiming "murder" every so often) but with its short running time, Brave will make you want and expect more and it doesn't totally deliver.
  6. Feb 16, 2014
    I find "Brave" a very special children's movie, because even though it's humorous and fun, it really stays with you as a deep and smart movie about a mother-daughter relationship. The animation is simply beautiful and the Scottish folk music soundtrack is perfect. I actually like it more than most of the kids who saw it.
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    Very nice. Good plot, good animations. I watched it about a week ago for the first time and I liked it. Cant say I'm impressed, but overall movie is just nice. Reccomended for 7+ kids.
  8. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superficial tripe and missed opportunity to explore the main character! Movie goes south when mom is turned into a bear! Safe non-threatening Pixar output! Expand
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    Although not the best film from Pixar-Disney, Brave is an entertaining movie with its motherhood message mixed with its strong feminist message as well.
  10. Oct 31, 2013
    when i heard about this film for the first time i thought that it isn't going to be so bad as cars 2 was,but i thought that it wouldn't be so close of terms of quality.
  11. Oct 7, 2013
    It lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother's character are frustrating to watch and its climax flat-lines. Merida wields a bow & arrow but not once does she use it for proper situations. Her character is sparingly approached and absent of anything memorable of her. The movie felt rushed and unpolished. It could've been done so much better. Expand
  12. Aug 16, 2013
    Unimpressed with this lackluster effort from pixar. It is about the similar storyline, a princess, a threat and a happy ever after. Boring, and fell asleep in parts, nothing was memorable or interesting, not pixar's best. Probably disliked this because i am a teenage boy, but you like if you are a small girl though. Not one for boys.
  13. Aug 14, 2013
    A charming and beautiful story about the mother-daughter relationship. This animation packs laughs, tears and joy. Something about watching animals with human-like behaviour that really gets me. The characters were quite unique and very well-written. The animation was stunning, even in 2D, which was what I saw. For me, the story itself won the show.
  14. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie tells us a story of a young princess that her mother wants her to marry and the princess doesn't want. they fight all the time as the mother always talks about the marriage and the young girl always gets annoyed and they talk bad to each other. So one day she takes a spell from a witch so as to change her mother's behaviour but the spell actually transformed the mother to a bear. It is a really interesting plot and the movie has some funny moments. Time passes really fast and it is moving in some points as the girl and her mum the get well with each other in that way. Princess Merida is a combination of Katniss everdeen and black widow and i have to say that i really liked that character. The whole movie in general is great and you will laugh and you will get sad in some moments. I don't really like animation but I really liked Brave. I haven't seen the other films which were nominated for an Oscar but Brave was a good film and it obviously deserved an Oscar. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    Brave isn't a typical Pixar film, but that isn't a bad thing because it's a really great film. It's not up there with Pixar's best, but: it's not down there with their worst. It features an enchanting story equipped with emotion and action, it is also charmingly comedic. The voice acting on this film is superb and the dialogue is funny. The characters all have there charms and there designs and detail are terrific, this is matched with skilled and fluid animation. One of the faults of Brave however, is that it's too short, another 20 minutes would fit nicely; also, the ending didn't have to be that stereotypically cheesy and predictable. But, aside from those fairly minor faults Brave is a really great movie. So I give this film a... 86/100! Expand
  16. Jul 4, 2013
    Brave's characters are what shine in the film, and in this case it's great. While Brave's storyline isn't as complex and original as some of top notch storytelling movies do today, its deep relationships with characters make this film feel human. Characters like Merida are wonderfully written: a female teen princess who struggles with the fact that she wants freedom and to do what she wants to, while her mothers constantly wants her to be a normal princess. Merida doesn't want a prince, she doesn't want marriage, she wants to be herself it's a wonderful spin to most of the Disney Princesses, who mostly want to get married (Well, Tiana and Mulan are different, even though they do fall in love in the film). Merida and Elinor (Merida's mother The Queen) are what really make this film emotional and its take on how princes don't always save the day is what makes this film stand out to other Princess films and makes the film great. Expand
  17. Jun 28, 2013
    The first half of this movie is awesome. The protagonist is cool and unique, the setting is great, and the portrayal of all the characters is hilarious. The movie seems to get better and better, up to the point where I said, "hey, this is one of Pixar's best movies yet".

But then it happened. Bears.
    That's right, bears. At that point, the movie turns into a predictable and
    uninteresting child's movie. Every plot point is easy to guess, the characters are less cool, and the story just seems to die. The second half of the movie is like a giant kick in the nuts to the first half, and it really just kills the movie.

That's why I'm giving a 5/10. The first half was great (5/5) and the second half was abysmal (0/5).
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    "Brave" is a good Pixar film but it goes in crescendo although in a filmed midpoint begins fall. Brenda Chapman was the first director and that is prominent because her view is risky and that is what should be a Pixar film. "Monsters University" is great because it's a fun by fun film but "Brave" should be epic and, only, is the first half part.
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    Not the direction I thought it would go.I thought she would go on some different adventure, but it was good. I liked the main character. The story overall was nothing to crazy.
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was a little short, but it was very good. It was funny and emotional. Pixar always does a good job (although I heard Cars 2 wasn't very good, weird Its not as good as Finding Nemo or Up, but its really close. I also like how the princess does not end up falling in love in this movie. I thought that was cool. Expand
  21. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This should not have won best animation(Wreck-It Ralph was much better). While better than Cars 2, I think that the writing was a little weak. It kind of felt like Pirates of the Caribbean 3 when they turned into bears. Not to say I didn't like this movie, but there were better animations in 2012. Expand
  22. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  23. Apr 20, 2013
    Brave is new, is simple. Brave is a touching story about mother-daughter relationships.
  24. Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know why this film rated PG. Bear violence? This should be given an R rating! Nah, just kidding. But however, boys won't like this film like me, and if you expect another masterwork from Pixar, you will be dissapointed.
  25. Apr 19, 2013
    An average movie by Pixar, not reaching as strong as some of their past works, but still managing to hold memorable characters and well delivered morals. The main fault of this film is that it moved far into the realm of cliché, and quite early on the audience became more suited for children, but that does not deduct from the overall standards of the films.
  26. Apr 17, 2013
    Its difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with various call outs to the typical Disney genre, the witch, the bears the princess etc.
    With a Scottish backdrop, Brave is told at a time of magical fantasy with kings, queens and castles, and when flaming red-haired teenager Merida (Kelly MacDonald) tries to be her own person, she comes into conflict with her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) who wants her daughter to be raised the traditional way.
    Brave kicked off proceedings with a very nervy and edgy start, but a start that didn't seem to develop, we see Merida making a fool out of all her potential husbands with a bow and arrow, but nothing seems to develop from her skill with such a weapon, and although the plot that unfolds is pretty thoughtful and detailed, it always seems like the film was started to lead into something different.
    The message within the film refers to the relationship between Merida and her mother, but again this never seems to have time to make enough of an emotional impact to justify the climax of the film.
    Saying that though, Merida is a very intriguing and interesting character, and it was certainly a nice change to see a perhaps male-dominated generation to be upstaged by this flame-haired princess and skilled heroine.
    As usual, Pixar continue to push out the most breathtaking an beautifully animated films in recent memory, and Brave is no exception. The Scottish Highlands are the perfect backdrop for the fairytale feel of a film, with rapturous bagpipe tunes to set the tone of the film and show off its true beauty.
    Comedy-wise, it doesn't disappoint, with Merida's younger brothers, triplets, being the funniest of them all, playing their pranks whether it is with their father or cake stealing off a maid, the humour, topped with the accent, makes for a wonderfully funny 90 mins.
    Yes, 90 mins (if not less) and it does certainly seem so as the film does seem to speed its way through, but although the truly unique feel of a Pixar film perhaps isn't in full force with Brave, there is enough laughter and enough visual spectacle, along with an excellent voice cast that make this enjoyable, if not solely for the adult wanting a previous Pixar effort, then certainly the children.
  27. Apr 3, 2013
    While Brave is certainly smarter than your average animated film, it nonetheless lacks the charm that permeates nearly every other Pixar film. It's still a very solid film that features some fantastic voice work, but Pixar has yet to return to its true form of masterful animation filmmaking.
  28. Mar 30, 2013
    I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt). Not that that’s a bad thing; I still found myself wrapped up in the story as much as I would have been if it had been a more male orientated work. Over all, it’s very enjoyable with some great comic moments. Definitely one for mothers and daughters rather than fathers and sons, but still worth a look if you have the inclination.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.3/10
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked this movie, but up against other Pixar movies it falls short. The beginning of this movie is the best part, but when the twist happens and the story comes together it kind of goes down hill.
  30. Mar 12, 2013
    Enjoyable to watch, this movie is actually a pretty good Disney project. Emotional and funny but for sure, not one of the best. I give "Brave" 7/10, because i think it's great and i recommend this to all kids and teens

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.