7.2

1. Jun 22, 2012
    Brave is a simple story, but told with such depth and magic it is hard not to love this movie. It isn't the studios best but it sure is great. Wonderfully voice acted by Kelly McDonald and the rest of the cast. And it is expertly and beautifully animated with wonderful detail. It is funny, emotionally resonant, and altogether beautiful. I give this movie 95%.
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    i think brave have a place with a pixars movies like the incredibles and monsters inc because of the story of brave is not brilliant like up and wall e but he is exciting and funny enough to be a pixar movie :)
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This does not stand up to Pixar's other work. It's sloppy and poorly executed, in short. It's overstuffed with plot threads and conflict but fails to find resolution for any or find a reasonable way to tie them together. It ended up being thematically contradictory. And maybe worst of all, it ended up being way more boring than it needed to be; the plot was so totally without ambition or surprise, it lacked interest as well. Let's talk specifics.

Who was the main villain? Was it the twisted witch who created the spell that turned the queen into a bear? I guess not, because she disappeared in the middle of the movie. Was it the other clan heads? I don't think so, since they all joined together with the protagonists in the end--after we were told (and never, ever shown) that they had actually been best friends the whole time. So I guess it was the big evil bear who serves as the final boss then, huh?

What was up with that bear anyway? Okay, so he used to be a prince but he tried to change his fate and was inadvertently punished by becoming a bear. So he's like a symbol of how we shouldn't try to change our fate, I guess? And then he attacks the clansmen because of his lingering, ill-advised drive to overtake them and become supreme ruler, right? Well, no, because after he's killed we see his spirit, and his spirit is apparently relieved and thankful that he was freed from the bear. And if the queen is any example, he had long since been acting totally under bear impulses the whole time. So the main villain was basically a wild bear and only ever enters the film because he just happened to be around, we guess? And then we had to kill him? Was anything in the film resolved with his death, besides just one less bear in the forest?

How DID they kill him? Did the main character get to use her archery skills which were pretty heavily established by the first act, and every trailer and poster and promotional artwork for the film? Nope! Did the father finally have his revenge on the evil bear, which is pretty much all he ever talked about doing? Nope! Oh, maybe the clansmen all joined together and showed their renewed unity by defeating the legendary bear monster! Nope, that wasn't it. The mother and daughter join forces kinda but are pretty useless against the final boss, and instead they end up killing him by pushing a stonehedge rock on him. Which is pretty confusing, thematically, since the stonehedge rocks _also_ represented changing of fate in some weird way. And then the traitorous prince spirit gets relief, so... what are we even saying here? That he deserved to go free? Seriously, what point is being made here? Is changing your destiny good or bad?

And hey for that matter why does the heroine always talk about "changing her fate" like that's a real, concrete thing that people can just do? So much of this destiny-speak just honestly comes off sounding like gibberish. And also also what the HECK was up the unbearably cheesy montages over unbearably cheesy female vocals? Where you hear a musical number about reaching for the stars while the daughter rides around on her horse with her hair rushing in the breeze? It's just silly.

There's just so much wrong and so little time to illuminate all of it. Somebody needed to spend more time thinking about this and tightening the script.
  4. Jun 22, 2012
    Love Love Love this movie! this movie is Completely a pixar movie! Amazing story not one of the BRILLIANT pixars movie נוא Delivers the good of the summer and the pixars movie
  5. Sep 7, 2012
    BRAVE is nothing short of an EPIC FAIL.
    I gotta give it to Pixar: even when they screw up, they do it big time. There is no saving this movie, and I have a hard time understanding all the good comments when it's so evident it misses all but the most important spots. Though visually impressive, I've hated it in a way I never expected, even more so because I've loved most of the previous
    Pixar movies, and respected those I didn't. Why? Because time and again, Pixar has always managed to impress me not just with its technical excellency, but most of all with the profound originality of its plots, the charisma of its characters and the beautifully detailed and rich atmosphere of its movies. There is nothing of that here! The characters are completely flat, unbelievable cliches, and Merida itself is the worst of them all, I've stopped tolerating her after like 5 minutes. The movie, more or less, manages to hold itself together in the first part, but it literally commits suicide in the first ten minutes of the second part and from that moment it's a long and painful downfall to the worst Disney story templates. When the script should capitalize on dramatic moments, it trips over itself with several sequences of bad comedy which, other than not funny, are downright irritating. The villain is virtually non-existent and the whole point of the story resolves in a pesky, predictable mother-daughter relationship renewal. The movie also suffers a lot from the celtic atmosphere remaining largely unexploited. Long story short: weak story, nonexistent characters and predictable outcome made this movie a miserable product way under the expectations. It could have been a great movie if only it had been developed more seriously. Expand
  6. Jun 25, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I was looking forward to a great movie, but Brave is very bland. The main heroine is a very unlikeable character, because she's very selfish and even seeks harm to her own mother. All the male characters are bumbling idiots and can't even comprehend something that's being yelled in their face 5 times in a row. The main bear character, without giving away too much about the story, is very repetitive in its manerisms. All the main characters are very unlikeable... and when you reach the point where you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them. The only positives I can say about this film is that the computer graphics were amazing to look at, and the witch and triplets were entertaining (but only had a combined 15 minutes of screen time). I'm sure kids will love this movie, especially little girls who want to see a strong female character. However, for the adult crowd that appreciates a family film that includes feeling and humor, this movie missed the mark by a mile. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, Brave is too thinly plotted to be on the level of animated films like "Up" and "Toy Story 3". Sure, Cars 2 may not have the charm of previous pixar shows, but at least the plot knew where it was going. Brave is a risk that doesn't pay off because Merida doesn't get the narrative she deserves. Merida is a great character, but she deserves more than this.
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    Great movie. Yes, it does not break new ground for the most part, following traditional disney fare. But as a father of a five year old girl, I cringe every time my daughter wants to to see The Little Mermaid, or Beauty and the Beast. Brave has a strong female lead, good story, stunning visuals, and breathtaking score.
  9. Jun 22, 2012
    The digital wizards at Pixar have an incredible dossier of Academy award-winning animated films. Their latest film
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    Last year, Pixar gave us Cars 2. Critics and audience members alike were appalled at the product. It was no where near the masterpieces that Pixar had brought us previously. But while it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed Cars 2. But I definitely didn't want Pixar to keep making movies like Cars 2. I wanted more masterpieces. So Brave comes along. The film that everyone is hoping will save the day and remind us all why we love Pixar.

Unfortunately, many critics aren't all that impressed with Brave, and while MOST of the critics liked it, the reception has been a little disappointing, especially when you consider how well the rest of the Pixar films have done. Brave is being considered one of the worst Pixar films.

But I think this is bizarre. I'm not quite sure why this is being met with such lukewarm reception. Brave is nothing short of a masterpiece. In fact, it's one of Pixar's BETTER films, in my opinion.

Brave (originally titled The Bear and the Bow) is about a princess named Merida who wants to be an archer. Unfortunately for her, Merida's mother, Elinor, wants Merida to be a bit more ladylike. Merida puts up with her mother, but when she's being forced to marry before she's even ready. There's an argument between the Merida and Elinor, a witch, and next thing you know Elinor is a bear. So Merida must change her mother back to a human and at the same time, regain her bond with her mother.

Brave has all the ingredients that every good movie needs. For one, the characters are very memorable. I doubt any of them will replace anyone's favorite Pixar character, but they're funny and well developed. Also, Brave is very funny. It's not as humorous as Up or the Toy Story films, but there's enough gags to entertain adults and kids. Admittedly, some of the humor feels a bit more tilted towards the Dreamworks canon, but I still found myself laughing often.

The last main ingredient; heart. And Brave has heart to spare. Pixar has almost always managed to make me cry, I don't mind saying. But then came Cars 2. Sure it made me laugh, and the animation impressed, but I never felt any real emotional connection with anything going onscreen.

But Brave reminded me why I look forward to Pixar films every year. I did cry at times, and there were times when I held back tears. Brave is one of the most moving pictures I've ever seen. Seeing Merida and Elinor's relationship grow as the film progresses, and the sacrifices they make for each other is particularly moving. Rarely do I feel so engaged with the characters.

Some critics were complaining about the uneven tones. From soft mother-daughter scenes, to boy-ish humor. I actually LIKED the shifts in tone. There were times when things got a little tragic and humor really helped to lighten the mood.

Patrick Doyle composed the score for Brave. This is his first time scoring a Pixar film, and having heard very little of Doyle's scores, I wasn't sure how I'd like his music. Well, Doyle has proved himself a hundred times over. I was extremely impressed with the score, and hope to see Doyle compose more Pixar films in the future.

The voice acting is, as usual for a Pixar film, superb. The voices are a little more recognizable this time around, but in the end, I wouldn't have changed anything. Kelly MacDonald does a more than respectable job as Merida, while Emma Thompson does excellently as mother (though unfortunately, she spends most of the movie as a bear). And Billy Connoly does a hilarious job as Fergus, Merida's rambunctious father.

And naturally, the animation is gorgeous. Easily outdoing any of Pixar's previous films. Trees, water, mist, hair, all of the above. Pixar does an eleven-out-of-ten job on their animation, making Brave the best looking animated film of the year thus far.

Brave is being unfairly labeled as one of Pixar's weaker films, and a merely decent film. Brave is, in fact, a masterpiece and hopefully the so-so reviews and the female protagonist won't stop male audience members from seeing it. Cars 2 was decent, but left me nervous as to Pixar's future. Brave has put all those fears to rest. Pixar is back baby: Hopefully forever.

Note: Brave was preceded by a short film entitled La Luna. This was both imaginative and magical. Don't come late or you'll miss it, and you will not want to miss this.
  11. Jun 22, 2012
    Pixar has made another great animated film! Pixar has come back after their worst reviewed movie, Cars 2. Even though it isn't flawless like Ratatouille and The Incredibles, it still delivers a very comedic and action packed movie. Pixar has definitely made a comeback.
  12. Jun 24, 2012
    Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar. This movie is a fairy tale and you get the feeling you've seen it a hundred times before as you watch it. They even copied the Irish accents from "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek". It has some humor in it, but not much, and the overall look of the film was dark although I saw it in 3D which admittedly darkens the screen a little. I would rank it higher than "The Princess and the Frog", but WAY lower than "Tangled" (a Disney Masterpiece) if comparing to other Princess movies. If comparing to other Pixar films it would be the second worse right before Cars2. This makes two mediocre films in a row for Pixar. Hopefully they will rebound on the next film. Expand
  13. Jun 25, 2012
    I went into this really excited to see a fantastic movie from Pixar. What I got was a very shallow story filled with an agenda to promote but thankfully executed terribly.

From what I've read from other reviewers are some really weird positive feedback like this movie isn't like the typical fairy tale story, but I completely disagree. The whole style of the movie is a complete rip off
    of How to Train your Dragon, then there's a witch that does evil & a girl that is a carbon copy of Ariel from the little Mermaid. (She also has the same red hair but instead it's curly) The worst part about this movie is it's trying to promote singleness which is ok if somebody wants to be single, but it raises the question as to why they want to promote this agenda. It made for a dull movie in the end, there's nothing happy about it. The family model was a very troubled one, & the girl was a medium at best. This is one of those movies that sums itself up well in the trailer. There's really nothing more to the movie except some bears, mixed feminism(which was really strange) perhaps the writer got broken up with or beaten by their father. It had no premise. Ultimately I believe the writer was very simple minded, liked slap stick humor & would choose themselves over sacrifice any chance they got. Expand
  14. Jun 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pixar what were you thinking? Great movie for adults and older teens good story plot ok graphics. I figured some adult type jokes for the rating of PG. Had I KNOWN BEFORE about the 20 ish drunk Scottish clan running across the screen in complete view of their naked cartoon rears on the big screen in 3d I would have never taken my kids to see your movie!! Naked is naked even if it's cartoon naked! Mark your movies correctly with Some NUDITY!! Not a mind reader here! Expand
  15. Jun 22, 2012
    Don't listen to the critics! This movie, although adopting a premise that has been done to death (especially by Disney), is still subversive as much as it is conventional. It's a character-driven story - like every other Pixar movie - that focuses more on the chemistry between the protagonist and her mother than on the adventure. It does so deftly, with theme and emotion and depth all around, as much depth as How To Train Your Dragon (to which it is often compared. Personally I think they're equally great.) What I loved the most was the care they took in portraying Merida realistically - not as a badass action heroine, but as a frightened, desperate child who only wanted her mother back. She doesn't end up with a husband by the end of the movie, but I think it's better that way. We really needed a movie, actually, that reminds us that things like love and occupation don't need to be found when you're so young. Because in the end, this movie is really about a girl who just wants to be the child that she is, while she still can, rather than grow up too fast. And I find that incredibly poignant. Expand
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  17. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People seem to be complaining about Pixar somehow letting themselves down by doing a formulaic Disney/fairytale Princess movie but I didn't see it that way at all. Yes, that's basically what it is. But first of all, what's wrong with that? And secondly, it's not as formulaic as I expected. There are many very familiar elements, as there are in all fairy tales, but what I loved was how Pixar found ways to put a fresh wrinkle on those elements.

Primarily, I loved the fact that here, for once, is a princess movie that absolutely does NOT rely on the princess falling in love with or being rescued by a handsome prince. I've always wondered why fairy tales so consistently teach young girls that they need a man to solve their problems for them. Many modern retellings of fairy tales do take a more contemporary approach by presenting a spunkier, more independent princess who doesn't need the handsome prince, but Brave deviates much further by not having a prince at all. Merida doesn't fall in love, doesn't meet the man of her dreams, because that's not what she needs and it's not what the movie is about. The movie's love story is between the girl and her mother - and how often do you see that? The movie, like Merida, is emotionally independent and follows its own path despite the traditional expectations placed upon it.

Other familiar elements are given fresh takes too. I love that the witch is not evil, she's simply just not very good at being a witch. Even though the movie is set in a romanticized fairy tale version of Scotland it felt very authentic to me. Certainly moreso than How To Train Your Dragon - which I also loved, but I couldn't get past the bizarre decision to have the faux-Nordic heroes speak like Scots, except for the hero who for some reason was American.

The movie also has more than its fair share of hilarious Pixar sight gags and character moments. Oh, and can I just say that I love how Pixar consistently casts ACTORS rather than falling victim to the celebrity-casting trap that so many animation studios do. I need to see it again (just found out there is a Dolby Atmos cinema here in town) but I think it might actually be my favorite Pixar movie already. I could find nothing wrong with it.
  18. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What does Merida do that is so brave? She scurries around looking for the witch Expand
  19. Jul 12, 2012
    Good, but not as good as other Disney/ Pixar collaborations. It ranks above Cars 2, but it's just about the bottom from there. With movies like Wall-E to live up to, that fact is not surprising. I'd say it's one of the greatest animated movies of the year however. The main character is spunky and fun to watch. As are the rest of the family. In fact, most of the characters were interesting. It had a few really good laughs and chuckles throughout. If you have seen the trailers, do not be fooled. It is not really an adventure across the land as advertised. the commercials did a terrible job of showing this movie. their are no hints as to the plot. which in some ways is good, but many would be surprised as to the plot. Interesting, but not the best. That is why I gave it a 7. Expand
  20. Jun 27, 2012
    Better than Cars 2 and Cars. The movie's special effects are new to Pixar but great nonetheless. A fantastic introduction to Future Female Pixar heroines.
  21. Jun 22, 2012
    Excellent movie with wonderful messages. I seldom say that. Exciting for the entire family. Especially heartfelt experience to share with mothers & daughters. If you have a pre-teen daughter who may be asserting her independence in less than positive ways, you'll find this movie to be a wonderful way to illustrate some of the things that are often difficult for them to understand. My daughter has often heard me say that I am her Mama Bear and it's my job to protect her, even from herself. After seeing this movie, she has an entirely new perspective on that. Great flick. Great way to spend some easy time with the kids while teaching such valuable lessons. A must see if you have daughters. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2012
    Brave is a visual delight that misses at too many key points and doesn't take enough chances.

If there's one studio that's absolutely dominated in the past 15 years, it's Pixar. From their 1995 classic Toy Story to the equally heart-warming Up, the company has taken animation to new levels, pulling gems and instant classics with amazing consistency. While animation is their acumen,
    their key has always been in strong storytelling: who would have thought that toys, cars, rats, fish, and monsters would have such wide-ranging appeal. It's Pixar singular ability to breathe real emotions into their animated characters that makes everything they touch turn to box office cash. Well, almost everything: that road has recently been pitted with a few critical disappointments: Cars 2 was unappealing and Toy Story 3 was downright creepy (toys holding hands in the fiery hell of a compactor is weird). With the release of Brave, the animation juggernaut continues with the fun and visual appeal, but ultimately creates a plot that's too predictable, not exciting enough, and fails to take many chances The prologue introduces us to Scottish Princess Merida (Kelly McDonald, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows, Part 2), a wild and energetic girl who is given a bow & arrow for her birthday by father King Fergus (Billy Connolly, Boondock Saints). Merida's mother Elinor (Emma Thompson, MIB3) doesn't approve, and expects Merida to prepare herself to one day be queen. There's a quick action scene of a huge bear attacking their camp, resulting in the loss of Fergus' leg, but we're suddenly thrust into the present, as Merida learns that she must marry soon to an ineligible suitor. The medieval tomboy won't have it, sneaking away to run wild with her horse Angus, perfect her archery skills, and climb tall rock formations, all to her parent's chagrin. It's this independency which returns often in Brave, and ultimately what dooms Merida and the movie itself. After an argument with her mother, Merida runs away and makes a deal with a Disney-like witch (Julie Walters, Harry Potter series) who promises to change Elinor and thus Merida's fate. But, all of that goes wrong when the spell changes Elinor into a bear, who maintains the queen's heart and mind but leaves her without the capacity to speak. Together, she and Merida must find a way to reverse the spell and keep King Fergus The Bear Killer from accidentally murdering his wife.

There's lots to like about Brave: it is stunningly beautiful, showing off the Scottish Highlands and giving even more life-like movements to our characters. Test audiences viewed the film in 3D, and it too looks incredible. Filmgoers might also enjoy the funny short prior to the feature presentation, and should stay for a mildly entertaining post-credits scene. The soundtrack by Patrick Doyle (Thor) is minimal but filled with nice Scottish melodies, and there are genuinely touching and funny scenes as the clumsy Bear Elinor struggles to walk and carry on in her new body. But in matters of story, Brave suffers too much, missing key chances to meaningfully advance the characters, who come off as caricatures of previous Disney films (Think: Merida asAladdin's Princess Jasmine). There's also lost opportunities to address the theme of women in leadership roles, which Brave leaves on the table even as the film concludes. As the suitor's ships sail away, the only real lesson Merida appears to have learned is that she should not trust witches. There's plenty of time for this 93-minute film to stretch its legs, but it's these theme of change and forgiveness which continues to drag things down, never fully exploring them before bear attacks and other funny moments reappear. Some of this could be blamed on the merry-go-round of directors (Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, and Steve Purcell), a recent Pixar trend that should be revisited.

In the end, Brave is a good example of the style-over-substance argument which unfortunately populates most summer films. The plot is easily the flimsiest I've seen from any of the 13 Pixar productions, with the film relying too heavily on action and comedy than addressing its initial interesting premise of the responsibility of women and the relationships between mother and daughter. It's doubtful any of these characters will be remembered a year from now, although Disney will no doubt find a way to keep them marketed beyond the theatrical and home release runs. In this scenario, Brave will be viewed as a failure. Mom and the daughters might find it fun, while Dad and the sons will be looking for the theater playing Avengers. No doubt it will draw large audiences and fill Disney's bank accounts, but with the critical failure of Cars 2, Brave is not good enough to quell insider rumors that Pixar's best creative days might be behind them.
  23. Jun 23, 2012
    The newest addition to the infamous Pixar line-up, Brave, is pure, cinematic magic. It is nothing like any other masterpiece the studio has impressed us with before, but is in no way inferior to its predecessors. The film takes place in the Scottish highlands. As soon as the beautifully crafted scenery graced the silver screen, I was in love. Being at least a quarter Scottish myself, I have a special place in my heart for the stunning country. The film centers on the royal family and their clan, the somewhat dysfunctional yet lovable DunBroch. You can't help but laugh whenever King Fergus is on the screen. Though he has a rough and rugged exterior, he's clearly a secret softie, harboring undying love for his family. The several moments between the king and queen in the film are sweet, heartfelt, and endearing, and the fact that they're complete opposites and still manage to maintain that subtle "spark" in their marriage is extraordinary. Queen Elinor, though it may surprise you, is undoubtedly the character that captured my heart and attention the most. I wish to express my sheer gratitude to the animators that worked on her. One can hardly tell she's animated; every expression she holds is extremely detailed and beautifully sculpted, even on her bear counterpart. Kudos to the animators; I just wish we had seen more of the queen's human form. The three adorable triplet boys, Harris, Hubert, and Hamish, provide a bit of comic relief throughout the movie, and play a key role in the film. And, that brings us to everyone's favorite tomboy, Princess Merida, the spirited and somewhat stubborn daughter of Fergus and Elinor. Her fiery, curly locks are to be admired. They captured my attention and put me under a spell, just as Merida did to her mother. Determined to choose her own path in life, Merida goes against traditional values and seeks the help of a witch in order to sway her mother's opinion of an arranged marriage - an overused topic in fairy tales, but does nothing to diminish the message the film conveys. Though the main storyline is admittedly a bit cliché, it still radiates charm that can undoubtedly be recognized as a Pixar film. Not only is Brave heartwarming, it's also packed with action, complete with a demon bear, a beastly curse, and a race against time to save a beloved member of the clan. The voice actors chosen to portray the characters couldn't be more perfect in their roles. The beautiful and somewhat tearful ending to the film nearly had a stoic movie-goer like myself cry tears of joy, and I enjoyed one last laugh at a final comedic moment within the family. Viewers are provided with closure at the end of the film - the mother and daughter duo we've grown to adore has strengthened their bond as a result of their ordeal, and their friendship is as close as ever. It's the perfect ending to a wonderful and satisfying film. Though I had been slightly disappointed in Pixar after Cars 2, Brave has thoroughly restored my faith in Pixar, and the film has enough classic Disney flair to provide audiences of all ages with a joyous ride through the highlands. Expand
  24. Jul 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an agenda to this movie that I would keep in mind if you decide to attend this movie and If you want to promote it than spend your money on it. the agenda is one of self centered behavior being acceptable and what ever you want to do to promote your own behavior, what ever that is including disrespect of others it is O K. The "heroine" is one of the most rebellious and self centered animated individuals I have ever had the pleasure of watching. In this "Its all about me" styled of movie this agenda most probably fits in, on the other hand if you wish to keep your kids from believing that is is all about them and their disrespect of your authority as a parent is O K t as well as the disrespect of others it is not a movie for your family. The tradition of mate selection represented in this movie is obviously out dated but the rebellious spirit this movie represents is not. . I do not very often think poorly of Pixar movies but this one of them. I must say the animation is well done, it is to bad the story line and the general theme is not. I thought is would be something different than what is was. Expand
  25. Jun 24, 2012
    I literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with a beautiful film. Like i said before, from the action, the comedy, the animation, to the story, and everything in between, it was all perfect. You must see this film, whether you're 4 or 94, you will enjoy this movie. 10/10...Perfection. Expand
  26. Jun 24, 2012
    I will admit up front that I am a big fan of Pixar, and any movie of theirs gets an automatic 10 to begin with. From there, it may lose a point or two (Or more... ahem, Cars 2) but it usually takes a lot to convince me to deduct points from a Pixar film. Brave gets only one complaint from me, and that is simply that I can't give it an 11. What an amazing movie. Granted, it's not your usual Pixar fare, and it certainly isn't for little kids. (My 5 year spent most of the movie under her mom's arm) The story is fairly unique, and the main characters are deep, well written, and well voiced/acted. I have NEVER felt as attached to an animated character as I did to Princess Merida. Lastly, the animation is absolutely mind blowing. Without giving anything away, the animation on the bear when it gets out of the fishing stream is easily the best animation I have ever seen. Robert Bateman would be jealous. Go see this movie, but see it with an open mind and without expectations. You will be glad you did. Expand
  27. Jul 28, 2012
    I thought 'Brave was an okay movie, but it was not as good as 'Up' or 'Toy Story' or several other Pixar films. One of the flaws (which can also be seen as a positive - I'll explain later) is that there is no clearly defined villain. As with a lot of other Disney/Pixar films, the memorable villains often end up stealing the show. The lack of one in 'Brave' really hurts the already kind of boring main story. That is the other flaw of 'Brave'...the story. To be simple, it's boring. However, 'Brave' does have some good things going for it. Where the film really excelled was in it's breaking from tradition. I really appreciated that the main character was female and that she did not fill any of the typical 'female hero' molds. She was not overly tough or overly 'girly', she was a normal human being. As mentioned before, there also really isn't a clearly defined antagonist. This can also be seen as a positive. Every character has a good and a bad side and 'Brave' does a great job in recognizing that. To sum it all up, this is not Pixar's best, but if you have a daughter I would highly suggest taking her to see it. Other than that, the film's opening short 'La Luna' was the highlight for me. Expand
  28. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    It's strange to think that PIXAR's movies were held in such high esteem, that any lesser output from the studio will be held under such scrutiny. BRAVE is such output from the studio; not as 'critically lambasted' as CARS 2 but never reaching the heights that the studio reach in their Toy Story trilogy, Incredibles or reaching such 'artistic' heights as in Wall-E or
    Up. Nevertheless, Being in the same 'quality' as Dreamworks' latest output such as Kung Fu Panda 2 is also worrying for fans. It's good, but never reaching great. It is actually Pixar's interpretation of Disney's 'Princess' genre. Technologically wise, it is incredible as usual Expand
  30. Jun 24, 2012
    This movie completely exceeded my expectations. Honestly, I went into this movie not knowing what to expect. I really didn't know what the plot of the movie was, which is what made me want to go see it even more. I had heard about this movie and had been excited for it for a couple months, and was so happy when it finally came out. Its graphics are absolutely stunning, bright beautiful colors, amazing attention to detail (example, the arrow's shaft wobbling when being shot), wonderful acting, heartwarming and heart-string-tugging, I was completely charmed with this movie. I feel like it should have been released on Mother's Day, with the extremely heavy mother-daughter interactions. It's amazing how Pixar movies can still make me cry like a baby. Bravo, Pixar. Expand
  31. Jul 2, 2012
    I give this movie a 5 because I feel it had a very mediocre plot and screenwriting. It just felt so 'on-par' as if it was written by a team of experts on how-to-make-successful-films. The emotional scenes are forced... the comedy is slapstick and shallow... one of the jokes felt pulled directly out of the Shrek franchise- You'll know it when you see it.

Overall lack of depth and
    effort. It is way too easy to use animation like autotune to mask what is actually an "O-Kay" movie as a masterpiece. Expand
  32. Jun 23, 2012
    The story of BRAVE is the always-poignant tale of "be careful what you wish for because it might come true". Any film with that message will always touch the hearts of audiences because we have all had the desire to change a parent or sibling to our benefit, but we would never think how much we'd miss them as they are. This film also deals with the always perplexing issue of teenager-to-parent communication, which never gets old because teenagers have been a mystery to a adults since the Stone Ages.

These treasured story templates mixed expressed within the Celtic background make for an over-all pleasing film. Some of the critics, both professional and otherwise, have noted that this Pixar film was not ground breaking like their other big hits, but I say that doesn't matter. We can't expect everything Pixar pumps out to be on par with "Toy Story" or "Finding Nemo". BRAVE is a fantastic tale in its own right and in its own way. Definitely a must see for the family!

BRAVE: 3.5 out of 4 stars
  33. Jun 24, 2012
    Pixar's Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and others, always left me with a buzzy feeling of awe and inspiration. This movie, though, left me kind of confused, because I didn't feel like that after watching it. I can't put my finger on it as to why, because everything about the movie seemed right. Despite that, there were moments where I chuckled and laughed, and moments where I got a little dust in me eye. Don't completely take my word for it, or anyone else's; decide for yourself what you think it is. Even if you end up not liking the story, it's Pixar! They make the best movies in the world! The attention to minute detail, the tones and colors of each scene, the thought and care put into every character movement and camera placement, the care put into each word, the accuracy of the Scottish culture etc. is beyond the grasp of just one sitting. Pixar can make drying paint humorous and interesting. On another note, for those believing the movie was all about "women's empowerment", I discourage that perspective. Moreover, I believe it was a much more simple approach: Pixar wanted to try a female lead, for once, and they didn't want to do it like its been done before a gajillion times. The story came about as it did organically after that decision. Having a nontraditional female lead, though, brings its own boat of problems, whether you meant to bring them out or not. People will always bring in their own experiences and justifications whether its true or not. Just the fact that they made a nontraditional female lead was Brave in and of itself.
    Personally, I thought it was really amazing that Merida isn't a girly, pink, blonde princess like in Tangled. It's interesting, and it's badass.

And, although this movie is 3D, if you love paying attention to little details in Pixar movies (ex. looking for Easter Eggs from their other movies) I highly discourage it. The 3D makes it very difficult to focus on minute details because you can only focus on one "layer" of the 3D at a time. Watch it in 2D if you want to really soak in as much details and minutiae as possible. The only reason they made it in 3D was probably because they had to do be competitive with all the other 3D stuff out there.
  34. Aug 15, 2012
    After a dissapointing Cars 2 from Pixar, I hoped Brave would make it up, and it kinda did. The story is simple and not the best thing of this movie. The characters are superb, there is like this girl named Marida who is in my eyes a badass. Than you have his dad who is like a cool dad, and than you have also other characters who are very nice. The animations are very beautiful with so many details. But some thing aren't very good: there isn't very much bow and arrow, especially in the second half of the movie, the worst part and the ending is meh. The movie is good but not as you would expect from a Pixar movie. Expand
  35. Aug 10, 2012
    Not on par with your typical Pixar fare, but this is still incredibly well-animated and affecting as an interesting folklore. Also, the development of new animation technology to add 3D layers to the characters should be noted.
  36. Jul 17, 2012
    Brave is a very strange movie!! It takes off straight out the gate, then introduces its story, throws in way too much slapstick and then its all over. I sat thinking...'what just happened'. The story is very weak and the whole premise is ridiculous!!Pixar seems to have gotten lazier as there waists have gotten bigger. Dont get me wrong, its amazingly beautiful and the cgi is incredible, but the story is boring and could have been told by any other studio!! Maybe Pixars magic couldnt last forever...its a pity but was great while it lasted!! Expand
  37. Jun 30, 2012
    This movie looks wonderful. Unfortunately, that is all it has going for it. Ultimately, Brave is an empty experience. The problem with it lies in the fact that it doesn't really have a point; it has no heart. It feels like they just kind of made a movie without any real thought to how to make it a story worth telling.
  38. Jul 4, 2012
    Although with its uneven pacing and really, really terrible jokes, Pixar is still deliver its best. I found Brave is pure, heart-warming and beautiful. I can't stand to mother-daughter drama, I even cry when the battle scene. One of the best releases so far.
  39. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoy watching Pixar movies with my kids - they're original, appealing to adults and kids alike, and above all fun. I just didn't get this one, I found myself bored mostly, which was a big of a surprise, though it would've been far more of one if I hadn't read some reviews beforehand. IMO, compared to How to train your Dragon, this is a distant second. When you actually compare the characters of those two movies, it's genuinely a shock to find Pixar being the one to roll out such one-dimensional, shallow characters. In How/Dragon the characters have far more depth and like-ability. Expand
  40. Jul 2, 2012
    Gorgeous, but shallow. While visually stunning -- Pixar really outdid themselves with the animation -- the storyline is cliched and unremarkable. There are some great moments, but this film isn't nearly as moving as some of Pixar's other works. The voice acting is solid, the music is great, but they could have done so much more with the story.
  41. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  42. Jul 1, 2012
    Meh!

This does NOT feel like a Pixar movie. It feels like a Dreamworks movie, with less schticky humor. I thought it would have the animation style of Tangled... but Tangled had better animation and 3D models. Not impressed. It's Pixar doing Dreamworks animation and barely making the cut.
  43. Sep 20, 2012
    Brave is an odd one from Pixar, they have never made a movie quite like this one before. Which is strange as it is really rather traditional, but seeing as Pixar has never done traditional before it makes "Brave" really stand out. Due to this fact it is hard to rank Brave up along with the rest of Pixar's films, as it is just too different. Now, the film strongly reminds me of "How To Train Your Dragon", which is no bad thing, but the humour is much more in the veins of the "Aardman cartoons" in its style. Without giving anything away, Brave is about a girl and her mum, learning to love each other: another classic storyline. As per usual in Pixar films Brave's voice acting is top of the line, offering the best of Scottish talent in great and finely tuned characters. There is one problem really, we didn't really get enough time with many of the characters which is a bit of a wasted opportunity as they are all fantastic and many of them provide the comedy throughout the film (like one of the other tribe's son's voice is impossible to comprehend, a very funny recurring joke, as no one else in the film can understand him either). All in all I don't think it's one of Pixar's best, but it does oddly stand out if you know about Pixar films, it is a little too short however, which is a shame as an extra 15 minutes would have worked wonders. 87/100. Expand
  44. Sep 6, 2012
    Disney and Pixar do not deny ever and lead us in our cinemas Brave. Meanwhile, the film manages to give us a vision of the crazy Scottish landscapes with stunning graphics and tells a simple story but what about the family and its importance and how important is the dialogue between different generations.
  45. Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't really live up to the high standard of most Pixar movies, but Brave is still an amazing movie that will be plenty of fun for both kids and adults. The best Brave has to offer is the amazing animation, which may just be the best that's even been done. The colors are vivd and beautiful, and the look/design of the movie is captivating. The film is loaded with great voice actors, lovable characters, and plenty of humor mixed with tension and action. The film falls short, in my opinion, when it comes to story. It follows a rather predictable path of a rebellious girl, who doesn't want to get married so she turns to an old witch. However, it does put the focus on the relationship between mothers and daughters for a change, something I don't think I've ever seen in an animated movie. Overall, it's worth watching, but it doesn't join the ranks of great animated films like WALL-E, Up, or Toy Story. Expand
  46. Jun 24, 2012
    There was much potential in this movie, having hilariously designed people in kilts, a beatiful selection for scenery, a well animated protaganist that doesn't want to be a princess.

But the story was a significant let down. This is not some bias decision I have made in spite of the designers, or in let down of being over hyped, this seems to also be a general feel for the people whom I
    have talked with who have also seen the movie. Expand
  47. Jun 25, 2012
    Pixar has really outdone itself on this one. Brave is a fantastically animated picture, with something for pretty much anyone! It's not going to be a surprise that Pixar's got another big success on their hands. The story is fantastic, the humor is solid, and the characters are believable and loveable. Overall the film is a jolly good, arrow-launching 9.5/10.
  48. Jul 6, 2012
    Brave Is A Solid Good Movie. I Don't Like How This Can Be The Most Popular Childrens Movie Of 2012 And Then Studiuo Ghibli Is Stuck In The Ground. Watch A Studio Ghibli VS Pixar. GHIBLI ALLWAYS WINS IN MY BOOK!
  49. Jun 23, 2012
    While it may not be Pixar's best, "Brave" sets a courageous journey into the relationships between mother, daughter, expectations and aspirations. With a delightful visuals, an inspiring soundtrack and a loveable protagonist, "Brave" encapsulates that Pixar magic, and everything they achieve so well. Just don't expect it to match the grand adventure of "Tangled" or "How To Train Your Dragon" - it is perhaps an adventure for the child in us, rather than our children. Expand
  50. Jun 29, 2012
    I found this movie extremely refreshing. Seldom in 'hero' stories are audiences allowed a female lead, and while Merida is a Disney princess, she is also the hero of her own story. It's also nice to see a mother-daughter relationship explored in a children's movie. Brave has plenty of laughs and charm for the whole family, and the breathtaking scenery (and hair rendering!) are a must-see. It's nice that the previews didn't give away the main plot, and while the movie carries similar themes as other Disney films, this one feels new. Expand
  51. Jul 2, 2012
    BRAVE is an amazing, emotional and funny movie!!! I really loved it! It is the best animated film i have seen all year!! What i love most about this movie is that even if Merida is a princess, she is not a classic one. AMAZING MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  52. Apr 19, 2013
    An average movie by Pixar, not reaching as strong as some of their past works, but still managing to hold memorable characters and well delivered morals. The main fault of this film is that it moved far into the realm of cliché, and quite early on the audience became more suited for children, but that does not deduct from the overall standards of the films.
  53. Nov 16, 2012
    Plot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough and tomboyish but it felt like that was all the movie was and that simply isn't enough for it to be a great movie. Pixar isn't the only studio in town anymore, with rivals making masterpieces such as Rio and Bee Movie. I hope that this is only a 1 time hit and miss from Pixar because it would be a shame if this is when they start going downhill. Expand
  54. Feb 5, 2013
    Of all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages to be very charming and delivers a movie worthy of Disney Pixar. If anything this is the first Pixar film I can say is a perfect example of the two studios working together as one. Animation is spectacular. Voice acting is excellent. Writing is. Is! Is? A little disjointed but that aside still rather charming. Overall: A real shame that the movie wasn't "Brave" enough to be a bit more daring and take the leap that it looked like it was going to. Still, the Disney route was still allot of fun too. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2012
    Pixar is one of my most beloved studios in the movie industry. They have created the most memorable animated movies ever. So its fair to say that Brave, Pixar's latest, had a good wealth of expectation given the brilliant record of great movies the studio has produced. The movie had a lot to live up to, and sadly it doesnt quite get there, but nevertheless it ends up being irresistibly charming. The reason I believe Brave doesnt quite capture the essence of the other Pixar movies like Up or Nemo, relies on the fact that its story develops mostly on the same place. There seems to be a lack of progression that other Pixar movies seem to develop with such mastery, a sense of discovery. Still, as already expressed, Brave is a very nice movie to see. Its story, while simple, is told with class and mastery. Its visuals are some of the best the studio has ever produced too. Its funny, its interesting and overall it is a worthwhile movie to watch. Certainly better than Ice Age 4 or Madagascar 3! Expand
  56. Feb 3, 2013
    Overall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I saw this year it was still good. If you want to see a film with a female protagonist set in Irealnd with decent story and characters check Brave out. While I cannot gurantee you will love this film as much Up or Toy Story 3 you will at least like it and who knows maybe you will love it more than I did because this is a good film. Expand
  57. Jun 25, 2012
    I honestly don't understand all the so so reviews. This was a great movie. Fast paced, emotionally stirring; this movie was very good. It may not be as good as WALLE or UP but it was one of the better Pixar films.
  58. Dec 9, 2012
    It looks as beautiful as you expect it to be and the story is top notch but Disney's influence is clear. It's a bit too sickeningly sweet in places. It's a safe film, nothing off the wall or unique/intriguing about it like Wall-E or Up. I couldn't sit through it all.
  59. Jan 26, 2013
    Pixar has done it again. This movie is simply magical, and great for families. It's beautifully animated, has excellent voice acting, and a heart-warming story. I have to admit after watching Cars 2 I was a little worried that this movie might flop, but Pixar has once again struck gold.
  60. Jul 3, 2012
    While this is not Pixar's greatest film. It looks incredible and the simple story allows the tension and depth of the characters show through. Every character is given room to breathe, and the story is more fun and scary (at times) because of it. Very enjoyable.
  61. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect her to take. In many ways, she is one of the strongest and most realistic Disney princesses we've seen in a long time. Expand
  62. Jun 27, 2012
    The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.) Though, as I said, it does not feel like a Pixar movie - it is still one of their best ones yet. So thumbs up for Brave. Expand
  63. Jan 7, 2013
    i liked brave, but ot as much as i'd hoped. granted, the last pixar movie i've seen is up, and that one is in my top 10 movies ever seen. brave played out like a sort of standard fantasy adventure movie, but as one of those, it's still a good movie.
  64. Nov 29, 2012
    Kind of a disappointment when I watched Brave. I didnt enjoy the animations, I was looking forward to high detailed computer animations. But the background trees were very genertic looking. Close ups, were done very well. The accents really annoyed me as well! They should of made the story more of a fantasy as well.
  65. Jun 28, 2012
    An improved Scottish version of Brother Bear, but disappointingly does not live up to expectations. The movie is enjoyable, but just not up to par with other Pixar films.
  66. Jul 3, 2012
    Brave's story is a simple and even sometimes predictable one. Pixar played it safe. The characters however, are some of Pixar's deepest, most believable and loveable yet, made only more so by the excellent voice cast and fantastic animation. The excellent characterisation results in some of Pixar's most poignant, beautiful character moments to date, and there will be more than a few times you'll wipe tears from your eyes. The plot might be a familiar setup, but the characters and their relationships and their triumphs and tragedies is what Brave is REALLY about. Expand
  67. Dec 30, 2012
    Brave was a film set up to fail. During the time Disney was coming back from Cars 2 and John Carter so this wasn't looked at in the best light. Also its something entirely different for Pixar. But as soon as watch in awe the first act you are set up for a classic....you don't get a classic but you get a very very good movie. The visuals are spectacular....also one of the best examples for 3D. The story is also very good...a nod to the mother-daughter relationship. As you can see this movie is set around the women...the men are well idiots to say the least, except for the triplets they are on a class of their own. The plot is great the only thing that it lacks is that edge. Even if its something new for Pixar its not entirely new for Disney. Expand
  68. Jan 9, 2013
    Brave, as to expected from Pixar, is a visually stunning animated family film with fluid action scenes and a great sense of immersion into this film's created world. The plot of reforging a bond between mother and daughter was undeniably sweet but came across a slightly cliched -- the rebellious child going off and making deals with a witch (The Little Mermaid, anyone?). One of my main issues was Merida -- her character design seemed to be a bit off. Whilst her hair was amazing and I understand the effort the animators went through to give life to those wildfire-red curls, I parsed over the 2D concept art and believe she would have been transferred to the screen better in a medium that wasn't 3D. Dialogue wise, some of the Scottish accents seem to have been softened so that audiences could understand -- this does not majorly detract from the film, but it irked me slightly. The humour was a tad generic at times (Her brothers and father) -- but these are all sidenotes. Merida and her mother and the adventure they go through are this film's selling points and their dialogue, interactions, their hardships and their overarching story are indeed touching and entertaining. Watch this film as a standalone movie and you won't be disappointed -- try holding it up to Pixar's greats and you might be. Expand
  69. Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seem more accurate. Also, the previews didn't do a very good job at representing the movie. The previews made it seem like the protagonist, Merida, would become overwhelmed and then run away from home. During this adventure, she would "find herself" by overcoming various obstacles during the course of the film. While this was partly true, the "adventure" lasted about 5 minutes and didn't lead her to any form of self discovery. Instead, she ended up back home and the path the movie took from here wasn't all that entertaining. The movie looked incredible and the voice acting was great but the plot just didn't unfold in the way I thought it should've. Still, this was a very good movie that the whole family can enjoy. Expand
  70. Jul 13, 2012
    Brave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fight for their rights, speak up for what they want, decide which path to follow, live well without a husband and be able to raise a family on their own.
    Another interesting thing about this film is the title and the ironic situation that hides, because Merida is brave, she fights with weapons, climbs cliffs and waterfalls and fights against wild animals. Although in order to change from girl to woman, she must be brave, but of another kind, which means brave to take her own decisions knowing and accepting the consequences, to honor the will of her parents and to ensure the good of her people.
    The problem in the plot is the relationship with the mother, which occurs because nor Merida or Elinor listen to what the other have to say. The queen does not trust the ability of her daughter and Merida is blind by her stubbornness. So Merida must change the fate, look inside, mend the bond torn by pride.
    Finally, the images of Brave are amazing, the characters, the landscapes, the animals and especially the hair of Merida which is astonishing, totally worth the creation of a new software.
  71. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  72. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    In some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear the other one out. The first act of this movie is solid. The rest is a roller coaster. I won't say what happens but there were scenes that came across as very slapstick-y (until the last few scenes) and it took me out of the drama. It wants to be a simple story about a mother and daughter relationship but it wants to be an epic, too. It succeeds in the former but the later needed a lot of work. This is a movie with its heart in the right place and I hope that someone will see this and decide to make another movie with the same themes but done better. Expand
  73. Jul 5, 2012
    Unlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the women characters are not much better. Also, it's damn boring. Expand
  74. Jul 12, 2012
    "Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about the relationship between Merida and her mother. It's all genuine and incredibly heartfelt. Not to mention the film is encapsulated by the most spectacularly realistic imagery Pixar has ever done and has hints of Scottish culture. Oh, and there are wonderfully silly moments full of laughter as well. Could Pixar have done more with the storyline? Yes. Does it matter? Not in the least. It may not be the greatest film Pixar has ever made, but Brave stands as one of their best. Expand
  75. Jul 2, 2012
    hmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i did not come to the movie to see graphics. i came for a story, however, i did not get that as much as it was promised. the add showed the funniest and most action filled moments. with kind of changed my expectations in the movie. so don't come into it expecting a comedy, or an action film. expect a Disney story. Expand
  76. Jul 29, 2012
    I remember when Pixar creating good movies, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Wall*e. The last year we watch Cars 2, the ill-fated sequel of Cars. Now they try return with Brave... This new movie is really interesting in some parts but have some things wich appear more of a Disney movie, but the movie is really good. The trama is about Merida (the girl who looks like Shaun White) a girl who wan't reign, after she transforms her mother into a bear (yes like in Brother Bear), but the people of the kingdom hate the bears and her father try kill her mom, and appear a really bad bear and he was a man. Ok the trama it's same that the Bear Brother trama, but the development is funny and emotive, the animation is really excellent. The characters are amazing have cool moments along the movie. Brave obviusly is not the best Pixar movie, but is better than Cars 2, and with this demostrate that they can return to the throne. Expand
  77. Aug 1, 2012
    My honest rating for this movie is an 8.5. I give it a 9 only because I think an 8 is too low. While this movie had some issues, it was for the most part entertaining to watch. Pixar's visuals are always outstanding, and the music and voice acting paired very well with the visual scenes. A strong female lead impressed me as the script departed from the traditional cookie-cutter princess role. Overall, an enjoyable movie with a good message, good morals, and wonderful audio and visuals. Expand
  78. Aug 10, 2012
    After watching this movie in 3D, I said to myself what a great movie that I saw. Brave provide a great style of Pixar that can be watchable by everyone including adults and children. It's the best animation movie that I have seen this year and it will be nominated for Oscar for sure.
  79. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: i'm not a fan of Scottish lore

Expectations: pretty low, since all i want from Pixar at the moment is Incredibles 2

Delivery: Brave starts out touching all of the typical "rebellious princess" plot points to establish the setting. It starts to deviate into a slightly original delivery (in delivery, yes. content? not so much) The action is exciting enough, the humor is
    on point, very likable cast of characters. The animation is ridiculous, there were times i would simply focus on Princess Merida's flaming red hair.

Save for a few deviations from the norm, Brave is a typical Princess story, but it's a GOOD story (The revelations in the 2nd act are particularly rewarding) it has enough charm and emotion to hold me over until a particular Pixar sequel comes to light
  80. Jun 26, 2012
    It's no Up, but Brave is a sweet movie with good humor. It is also a good mother-daughter film, a nice experience considering there are so many excellent father-son movies out there.
  81. Jun 27, 2012
    I've been a Pixar whore for years. I got on my knees anytime they said go. Then they made Cars 2 and broke my heart. Brave was better than Cars 2. Prettier too. But, damn it, something was missing. I'm not willing to get back on my knees just yet. http://dudebroreviews.wordpress.com/
  82. Jul 4, 2012
    It's a little late but I finally saw Brave with my 6 year old son. The animation is magnificent, and the storyline takes the fairy tale princess into some uncharted areas. Merida (voiced by Kelly MacDonald) is a ginger-haired princess in medieval Scotland. Her father, King Fergus (voiced by Billy Connolly), is a brute of a man who loses a leg in a fight with a bear called Mor'du. He has a soft heart for his daughter who is also his first-born. From the time she is a tiny girl, he insists on giving her bows and arrows for gifts instead of the usual "girly" gifts, much to the chagrin of her mother, Queen Elinor (voiced by Emma Thompson). The mother/daughter relationship plays a central role in the plot of this film. Queen Elinor is a complex character. She is at once strong, gentle, graceful, assertive, and very much a lady. She knows her place in this world and wants the same for her daughter. All of her parenting decisions are based on preparing Merida for her future as a princess.

At first, it seems like it might be like all the other princess movies: the princess comes of age, the parents want to marry her off to an eligible suitor from a noble family, and she rebels against the tradition. At which point, trouble ensues. But in Brave, the story takes some unexpected turns. After she has trounced her suitors in an archery competition, she takes off on her own in search of her fate. There are some beautiful images in the middle section of the film, complete with airy, phosphorescent Will o' The Wisps and a cunning witch. Never was it more true that one should be careful what you wish for, as you might just get it and all of the unintended consequences that come with it. I want to be careful not to spoil the film for anyone who has not seen it, so if the next bit of the review feels vague, it is intentionally so. Merida wants so badly for her fate to be different than it is, some major changes occur for her and her mother. Being a daughter myself, I can attest to the complex nature of the relationship between a daughter and her mother. Invariably, the wishes of the mother clash with the wishes of the daughter and in a show of independence, a rift sometimes occurs. And sometimes it takes a crisis for both parties to grow and to come to know each other as equals. This must surely occur before a mother and a daughter can have a functional relationship. All of this is brought to life on the screen in Brave. But don't worry. There is plenty of action for the boys in your life. There are kilts and the usual kilt jokes that go along with them. The other clan members are quite funny as voiced by such talented Scots as Kevin McKidd and Craig Ferguson. As I mentioned before, there are bears in the film, and these scenes are quite frightening. They are short, but you might need to warn your little one that it is a Disney film and most things turn out ok. Be prepared for them to beg to leave the theater, though. But it is well worth staying to the end. Use caution with kids under 5 or 6.
  83. Jul 5, 2012
    This is a great movie, so many good messages about family and putting yourself in someone elses shoes. But the best message I thought was that a young woman can be complete without a man, making it okay to wait for the right man. I hate that everyone is comparing it to Wall-e and Up and Toy story. All great movies, but all different stories, as is this one. Why compare? The animation was great! The look in Angus's eye's as real as any of my horses. If anyone walked away from this with anything other than a good feeling, they might want to take a closer look within themselves. Expand
  84. Jul 11, 2012
    A PERFECT MOVIE

This may not be the greatest movie Pixar has ever made, but it's a gentle, funny, perfectly satisfying movie. I believe it's a classic. One thing I like is that there's no malice in it, anywhere. No bad guys or gals, just ordinary people making each day's ration of mistakes. Brave provides a model for girls, to be leaders, to be truly accomplished at something, and to
    expect to be recognized for it. This was the best movie experience I've had all year. Expand
  85. Jul 10, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who looked Prince Charming-ish or even remotely easy on the eyes. I laughed a couple of times throughout the movie, but overall, our whole family of 5 walked out of the theater thinking we'd already seen the best parts on the trailer. I agree with another reviewers comment below: "When you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them." Would not consider seeing it again or renting it. Expand
  86. Jul 11, 2012
    i loved brave it was so good and i cant believe 13 people gave it a 3 or less because i thought it was heart warming but at the same time sharing a lesson about how you have to be careful of what you wish for
  87. Jul 14, 2012
    It was a great movie! This movie has a great levek of depth and magic. It is simply beautiful. There was great humour, intresting characters and most important of all showed great values of family, friendship and self belief. This movie reminds you of those simple things in lifethat make us who we are and sometimes we take forgranted. Its a perfect movie. I highly reccommend it! This movie deserves greater reviews and scores. Expand
  88. Jul 17, 2012
    This is so far the only movie I have ever been motivated to write a review for, it was a story that I totally got into and lost myself. Seeing the daughter and mother work through their two different life views in this magical world was totally exhilarating. Their transformation both literal, and figurative spreads freedom and the ability to define ones own destiny throughout their kingdom. Every young girl should see this movie, if only to realize that the inner strength she holds within is best used when selfishness and petty fears are pushed aside. Expand
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    I absolutely loved this movie. Its one of my favorite Pixar movies and my second favorite movie of the summer (Sorry but The Avengers still reigns supreme). The animation is absolutely amazing and don't even get me started on how gorgeous the animation for Merida's hair is. Don't even bother with the ridiculously lukewarm reviews that the critics have been giving this movie. Go see Brave ASAP!
  90. Aug 12, 2012
    Dosen't have the heart of the usual Pixar films, but it does deliver on entertainment and laughter.
  91. Dec 7, 2012
    A great animated film that presents the incredible story of a redheaded girl and her magical adventures.
  92. Oct 2, 2012
    This film which is animated is set in the olden times of Scotland, gives us a glimpse of what Disney/Pixar think about the old days, it
  93. Nov 9, 2012
    Brave was another good Pixar animation film. Although, it had a very predictable ending. Other than that, it had a good storyline on the twists and turns.
  94. Nov 28, 2012
    It may not be as impressive as other Pixar adventures, but "Brave" still survives with its charming animation and storytelling.
  95. Nov 30, 2012
    "Brave" is yet another beautiful masterpiece from Pixar Studios, telling the story of a Scottish princess who causes chaos in her efforts to be independent, and her gripping adventure to fix it. As can be expected from Pixar, the film is gorgeously animated and a pure joy to watch, and as a whole is one of their more entertaining and intelligent mixes of humor, zaniness, and heartfelt storytelling
  96. Apr 3, 2013
    While Brave is certainly smarter than your average animated film, it nonetheless lacks the charm that permeates nearly every other Pixar film. It's still a very solid film that features some fantastic voice work, but Pixar has yet to return to its true form of masterful animation filmmaking.
  97. Apr 20, 2013
    Brave is new, is simple. Brave is a touching story about mother-daughter relationships.
  98. Jan 18, 2013
    The trailer made it look like it had a really good story but then goes of some random tangent, lost our interest. Probably Pixar's worst movie! skip this one.
  99. Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know why this film rated PG. Bear violence? This should be given an R rating! Nah, just kidding. But however, boys won't like this film like me, and if you expect another masterwork from Pixar, you will be dissapointed.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.