8.5

1. Jul 24, 2014
    This one is certainly quite an epic and, for the most part, is very successful. The acting is good throughout, the action is very exciting and well done, the score is great, and the cinematography is gorgeous. The costumes are also very well done, even if completely historically inaccurate. The length is also very much justified as there is always enough going on to keep you fully wrapped up in the proceedings. However, even though all of those things are good to great, there is enough going wrong to take away from the overall product. Firstly, the violence, though not graphic, is entirely numbing. There is just too much of it and by the end, it loses all of its impact as you are so desensitized to it. Also, I just struggled as times with Mel Gibson here. He just does not look right, he just seems so out of place here. His acting was good and all, but I think somebody else could have fit the look better. Finally, the historical inaccuracies are bad. This is not inaccurate like a film like Inglourious Basterds is inaccurate, as that one has no false pretense of accuracy and is very much theatrical and gloriously inaccurate. Here, Braveheart does not necessarily pass itself off as accurate, but it certainly would like you to believe that it is and I simply cannot do so. If it was only a little inaccurate, then ok, but the blatant disregard for what happens is annoying to say the least. Overall, Braveheart is a pretty good film and is certainly worth a watch. Expand
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Braveheart is an awesome film. It tells a story how Scots became free. Acting is on the highest level, Mel Gibson raised to the challenge too and his acting is also outstanding. In this film is not missing extremely breathtaking scenes. Slow motion scenes are remarkably well made and fit to moments in the film. The film has a brilliant soundtrack. Wounds and scenes of battles are intensely realistic. I can't understand how director, Mel Gibson, made it. I honestly recommend this superb film. Expand
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The review I am writing is on "Brave Heart" a movie based on the true events of William Wallace's life and the Scotish revolution. This story was writen by Randall Wallace and directed by Mel Gibson who also plays the main character, William Wallace, in this story. William experiences tragedy at a young age when he walks into a house filled with murrdered Scottish nobles, killed by King Henry Longshanks (played by Patrick McGoohan). Then again when his family is kill while trying to confront the king, and once again when he was an adult his family was taken away after the English try to rape his wife and then sentence her to death for assaulting a Brtish soldier. This infuriates Wallace and makes him seek revenge on the English through a crusade if violence and warfare. He is detrimental to this story because without Wallace the Scottish revolution would have never happened. I empathize deeply with Wallace and his loss he loses his family twice to a king he never pledged as his own. The main theme of the story is the idea freedom, you will probably hear him say that word more times than you can count throughout the movie. The theme of freedom in the movie helps drive Wallace to his goals and it was pulled off rather nicely, Gibson's performance makes the audience wish that they could do something in the world to stop opreshion of anyone. Gibson took a very dramatic approach to filming this movie with amazing battle sceenes and intense, dramatic diolage. The big impact this movie has on the world is to help people believe that one man can change the world and the importance of equality. As a person of Celtic ansestory I may have a bias but I truly believe that this movie inspires everyone who watches it to go out and make a difference in the world and try to others around them. I enjoyed this movie for it's raw story telling, everything felt natural and realistic nothing was forced onto the audience or was compleatly unbelievable. Expand
  4. Jun 2, 2014
    William Wallace/ Braveheart

The movie Brave heart is an epic story based on true historical events. In the late 1200 a boy named William Wallace was born. After the English takes his land kills his brother, father, and wife he begins a revolt. This revolution ends up taking on epic proportions. The reason this revolution becomes so powerful is mainly because of William Wallace. He just
    is a motivational leader and his undying belief in freedom is contagious. In fact before one of the bigger battles of the movie Wallace makes the quote, “Sure I’d love to settle down, have a farm, and raise a family. But I can’t do any of that, not without the English taking it. I’m willing to lay down my life for others so that they may live the dream that I have. ” It was his belief in freedom and a land of their own that helps him lead his troops so well.
    Not only is the plot amazing, but the actors who preform it are truly stunning. Throughout the movie you can feel it, as Mel Gibson (William Wallace) yearns for a better life. Every time Wallace loses someone you care about you can feel the pain in your heart too. Also when Wallace was betrayed to the English you felt everything in you die a little bit. This movie and the actors within it really help you respect and treasure the freedom we have now. It was because of great men like William Wallace that anyone has any true freedom.
    The impact of this movie is incredible. I can guarantee that anyone who sees this movie will have a hard time not screaming freedom randomly. Personally I felt that all the themes of this movie were life changing, and impacted the way I’ll think of day to day life forever. In my opinion the only place this movie fell short was it wasn’t long enough. I would advise anyone who wants to live life to its fullest to watch this movie.
    -Patrick Brooks
  5. May 9, 2014
    A masterpiece. Makes me feel an entire range of emotions. It made me laugh, cry and cheer on William Wallace and there resistance as they went into battle. It has everything a good film should contain and it's damn entertaining for 3 hour flick. One of the best film ever, a must see.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    While the movie is still fun and story relevant. I always question the validity exactly of these "Based on true stories" where one side is almost comedically evil and the other fights for good. In the end the plot is still fine, the fights are beginning to look dated. The effects are ok, but with the LOTR movies, the battles seem like they got like 200 extras, dressed them up, and told them to mess around with fake swords. Still a good film in all, but the grand scale that made it so great when I was a kid, just doesn't hold up. Expand
  7. Mar 2, 2014
    Braveheart is a superb film, which goes under your skin and really fascinates. Great soundtrack and the battle sequences are among the best even today and the fact that the movie is actually 20 years old just shows how good they are.
  8. Jul 18, 2013
    A film full of so much heart, emotion, well written script, amazing acting, beautiful music and scenery is packed into this amazing film with such elegance and style. No wonder it won Best Film of 1995. A beautifully motivating film. Beautiful.
  9. Jul 10, 2013
    Regardless of the fact that it may not be factually accurate this film is still an epic piece of screenplay. I can't fault it and it has been my one of my all time favourite films since it's release.
  10. May 16, 2013
    the best movie ever it was everthing good in a movie and if you give this movie lower than a 9 than you dont know good movies alright dont listen to those haters to this movie mel gibson was amazing in this movie and he is the best actor ever
  11. Dec 20, 2012
    I don't think that this movie deserves a 10, but it doesn't deserve a 0 either, I agree with some of the critics about the battles, the first time that I saw the movie I noticed how the swords, axes, and all other weapons or armor that were supposed to be metallic were plastic it was kind of funny. Now this movie was never sold to the people as a documentary but as a movie, trying to represent Wallace's life, don't expect from a movie strict adherence to history, it has to have something that is exaggerated or not too precise. And talking about the romance on the movie which I thought that it was properly handled you got to admit that behind every man there is a love story. Gibson gives a great performance. Expand
  12. Dec 13, 2012
    Braveheart deserves 100/100 rating. This movie is incredible with its natural and emotional scenes, with epic battles, sieges and ambushes. It might be not quite right historically but as movie it is perfect, so I see no reason not to rate it 10.
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    Just really good. You take an intriguing story from history, mix it together with a camera, some fine actors, a pinch of badassery supplied by one Mel Gibson and a heavy infusion of thought, care and execution and you get something really rewarding.
  14. Oct 8, 2012
    Braveheart is a very nice tale of oppressed Scottish folk standing up to the tyrannical English. It works in all the right places and succeeds despite historical inaccuracies and slightly over-the-top sentimentality. Kudos for having bloody battle sequences that still shock a good 18 years after the film was made!
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    one of the best fiction based on a historical event! Superlike for acting,story,photography,music and thrill that truly connects with audience. hats off mel
  16. Apr 18, 2012
    Historically incorrect, jingoistic, over acted, stupid charaterisations, ridiculous and childish script and an aging, tired lead with bouffant hair and bad makeup. Can the Yanks make a more awful movie? Sadly, the answer is yes, yes, yes! The Academy Awards just made fools of themselves again with this one.
  17. Apr 4, 2012
    This movie is flat out sick and disgusting but it had a compelling story and Mel Gibson gave a great performance. The movie was a little long and a bit boring at times though.
  18. Feb 13, 2012
    Although it may be historically inaccurate, Braveheart is a very compelling and memorable film. The acting, story, and war scenes are great. Definitely one of my favorite movies.
  19. Feb 9, 2012
    A complete masterpiece. A fantastic movie about honor and fighting for your freedom. This movie made me cry, laugh, and scream for joy. It is an incredible inspirational underdog story about fighting for freedom. Mel Gibson makes another fantastic movie and is amazing in it too. I was so moved by this movie and it will be in my favorites for a long long time. HIGHLY recmmend!
  20. Jan 5, 2012
    Braveheart was an epic. It was the high point of Mel Gibson's career as both an actor and director. Though it is not historically accurate, there is some truth to the storyline and the characters, and that truth is enough to build a wonderful movie that has left viewers spellbound since 1995. People are still spellbound and its close to seventeen years later and Braveheart is still a household name and is a first experience epic for most children. This movie combines the blood and gore of a war movie with the intense plot line of a drama. It is a work of art to say the least. Braveheart will go down in history as one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    Great movie. Also the soundtrack is very nice. Mel Gibson is a great producer.
    The best movie in his genre. Anyway the best battle fights in all time, even gladiator and Lord of the Rings the big battles are not as great as in Braveheart.
  22. Oct 24, 2011
    Although the historical accuracy is questionable there is no doubting that this is an epic movie that will become a classic along the lines of Zulu as time passes, however the movie is driven by the superb fight scenes which feel raw, brutal and savage. The storyline is solid and the acting is excellent and overall this film is a great way to pass a rainy day.
  23. Sep 26, 2011
    reeks of pathos and cheese. not to mention it completely gave up historic accuracy for dramatic effect. sure, there are worse, but simply for the fact it won the most undeserved oscars in history, I have to give it a 0.
  24. Jul 29, 2011
    One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made In The History Of Ciema.Braveheart Is Truly A Great Film,Action Sequences Were Superb So Was Music So Was The Film
  25. Jul 18, 2011
    this "movie" totally disappointed me. totally. i feel awful about the storyline, especially how it mixed romances like trainwrecks :( awful awful awful
  26. Jan 8, 2011
    Nice movie. It will be a classic in the future. Great story and very well played by Mel Gibson. Nice music.
  27. Dec 10, 2010
    'Braveheart' means well, provides a few emotionally wrenching segments, and won't disappoint gore fans, but the film's content will make historians feel sick to their stomachs.
  28. Nov 12, 2010
    Mel Gibson's great performance
  29. Aug 27, 2010
    As far as epics go, Mel Gibson aims for a sprawling vision in the likes of David Lean. However, by putting antics before aesthetics, 'Braveheart' is at its core not much more than a glorified melodrama - not necessarily a bad thing (it just makes the surplus of sentimental moments painful to sit through)

1. Reviewed by: Sean Means
    Gibson's raw energy and storytelling power in Braveheart are undeniable. If the film doesn't meet his ambitions, it's because he set the bar so high.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Braveheart is too much, too late.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Never tries to confuse our loyalties or question the strategies of our hero or bring home the all-embracing soul-destroying horrors of war for all sides. Braveheart may be rip-roaring, but it isn't all that brave.