8.2

1. Jan 29, 2014
    I remembered this film from when I was a kid long ago as kind of cool in a strange way. Saw it today some 25 years later, and it was still strange. Cool only in certain parts. Annoyingly bad in many places. Though I think I enjoyed the fine acting more this time, not only by Pryce, but also de Niro (his best performance ever, in my humble opinion. He himself I suspect see this film as aI remembered this film from when I was a kid long ago as kind of cool in a strange way. Saw it today some 25 years later, and it was still strange. Cool only in certain parts. Annoyingly bad in many places. Though I think I enjoyed the fine acting more this time, not only by Pryce, but also de Niro (his best performance ever, in my humble opinion. He himself I suspect see this film as a goddamn mess), Hoskins, Palin, Broadbent, Vaughan and especially the always enjoyable Holm. Damn fine actors.
    The sets are bad. Sorry folks, but they are just horrible. Like a cheap 80s rock video. The editing is below par. The writing is goofy, sometimes very funny, more often just incoherent and confusing. The thing that annoys me the most is the center piece: the love story, which is as believable as an American president would get the Noble Peace Prize . First, she (Greist) hates him (Pryce) and tries to kill him in numerous ways. Then, suddenly, for absolutely no apparent reason, she falls for him and wants to hump him immediately, which he declines and goes of to save her in some way (no real guy would ever do this...first you hump, it'll only take a few minutes, THEN you go and save the girl). The ending was frankly the best part of the film, for there I saw, for a very, very brief moment, the true meaning of existence...
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    A surprisingly and, it has to be said, disappointingly confusing film. Despite the fact that, in its attempt to convey the nightmare of a dystopian world, this film was wildly exciting for its time, a modern audience perhaps less obsessed and, indeed, excited by negativity would find it difficult to follow. It targets a very niche audience, for whom I'm sure it interesting in itsA surprisingly and, it has to be said, disappointingly confusing film. Despite the fact that, in its attempt to convey the nightmare of a dystopian world, this film was wildly exciting for its time, a modern audience perhaps less obsessed and, indeed, excited by negativity would find it difficult to follow. It targets a very niche audience, for whom I'm sure it interesting in its 'ostensible' ambivalence; however, as a universal film that is, one which is available and accessible to the masses it fails on a fundamental level: the plot line is insecure; it seems rushed and hurried, the proper planning of a film simply cast into the dystopian nightmare itself. No doubt, the integral themes and comments are there, but, ultimately, the watcher is so frustrated by the nonsensical plot line that any attempts to appreciate it are simply not worth the effort. Expand

Brazil may not be the best film of the year, but it's a remarkable accomplishment for Mr. Gilliam, whose satirical and cautionary impulses work beautifully together. His film's ambitious visual style bears this out, combining grim, overpowering architecture with clever throwaway touches.
  2. This modern cult classic is a triumphantly dark comedy directed by one of the film world's truly original visionaries, Terry Gilliam. "Imagination" is this futuristic film’s middle name.
    A ferociously creative 1985 black comedy filled with wild tonal contrasts, swarming details, and unfettered visual invention--every shot carries a charge of surprise and delight.