Breach

7.2

1. GaborA.
    Jun 20, 2007
    One of those thrill free thrillers, and unfortunately the drama though superbly acted cannot make up for it. The script makes very little happen but what saves this movie is a couple of scenes that are written, acted, and filmed unbelievably well. The most notable of which is the last two minutes of the movie.
  2. JoshuaS.
    Jun 27, 2009
    This movie is horrendous. They tell the most boring part of the story, the acting is TV melodrama grade, and the script is unintentionally hilarious. I am genuinely shocked that so many critics liked this movie! I tried so hard to be on board the first 20 minutes, but I could not stop myself from laughing. Cooper over acts, Linney phones it in and Phillepe and his wife are soooooooooo This movie is horrendous. They tell the most boring part of the story, the acting is TV melodrama grade, and the script is unintentionally hilarious. I am genuinely shocked that so many critics liked this movie! I tried so hard to be on board the first 20 minutes, but I could not stop myself from laughing. Cooper over acts, Linney phones it in and Phillepe and his wife are soooooooooo bad. Seriously, what movie are you people watching? Expand
  3. BillV.
    Jul 10, 2009
    A little more study of evil would have made it work better. Fairly intense even though you know the end at the beginning.
  4. JoyceC.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Breach was suppose to be a gripping and heartwarming film like The Shawshank, but on the other hand, Billy Ray captures nobody in the audience from what I saw. Everyone was just cracking their heads, or slowly yawning, and most of the time people kept on looking at their cell phones to see what time it was. I was extremely anxious fro this film to be over with. Since the trailer looked so Breach was suppose to be a gripping and heartwarming film like The Shawshank, but on the other hand, Billy Ray captures nobody in the audience from what I saw. Everyone was just cracking their heads, or slowly yawning, and most of the time people kept on looking at their cell phones to see what time it was. I was extremely anxious fro this film to be over with. Since the trailer looked so amazing and definitely a film to go see. I couldn't wait to see it. At first you really enjoy the script and the storyline as it impatiently moves along. And then you read all these wonderful reviews commented how good Chris Cooper did, which he did all right in his easy role. The first time you see it, you must see it in the theatres and that's when you'll say it was a great movie. Then I couldn't wait for it to come out, because its one of those films that at first you think its okay. But then you read all these dazzling reviews with a metascore of 74, then after a couple of weeks, you start agreeing with the critics. That's when you can't wait for it to come out. But when it came out, I gathered all the family members for a movie night to watch Breach. because at that time I thought it was brilliantly breathtaking. After the film starts, your smile turns into a yawn and all those wonderful actors playing in the film just threw their faces in a toilet and flushed it away. It was weak. The best and only part was when Eric didn't know which pocket his thingamabob went in. That was pretty thrilling. But the film just didn't capture me. The movie makes you so anxious for it to end and when it finally does, you'd rate it a high six or a low seven. But after I started reading some reviews again after a week, I thought of it differently. I thought it was a really good movie. The reason why I rated it a 5 is because I thought back of how weak and dull the film was, I just said you know what, I'm gonna give it a 5 and be done with it because when you read the reviews, you think its good, but when you watch it, its really unentertaining. I prayed for something to happen the first time I watched it but what I think was that Billy Ray was loosing time so he just quickly got it over with and arrested the damn boss. Just watch it once and never again. Expand
    Feb 16, 2007
    Over rated. Too much of it isn't believable. Not a bad movie, just over rated by the critics. Its a 50 out of 100, not a 70.
  6. TomD.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Movie was pretty uneventful, starts off slow and never really picks up any speed. No real suspense, drama or thrills. Besides Chris Coopers performance there is little else to get excited about in this movie.
  7. ReidFishman
    Feb 24, 2007
    A decent psychological spy film that suffers from slow pacing.
  8. JamesB.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Well acted, excellent cast. They are wasted in a painfully slow movie with a thin plot (It's a true story-maybe that's the problem). Wait for the DVD.
  9. NicholasB.
    Mar 16, 2007
    If you have seen the trailer for this, don't bother to see the movie. Chris Cooper is amazing, but the movie is transparent front to back. If someone can explain the reason for the character's sex tape, I'm waiting.
  10. JaredC.
    Jul 20, 2007
    A all right drama movie with gripping scenes.
  11. KyleS.
    Feb 16, 2007
    Could have enjoyed this more but Phillippe drags it down. Cooper is great!
  12. DWilly
    Feb 17, 2007
    Because it's a huge true story told with a reasonable amount of professionalism, it's entertaining enough, but this movie really should have been on cable. The director brought a greater sense of import to the story of a reporter lying about persoanal interest stories in "Shattered Glass," than he did here with perhaps the greatest traitor in US history; but then, he had Peter Because it's a huge true story told with a reasonable amount of professionalism, it's entertaining enough, but this movie really should have been on cable. The director brought a greater sense of import to the story of a reporter lying about persoanal interest stories in "Shattered Glass," than he did here with perhaps the greatest traitor in US history; but then, he had Peter Sarsguard as his lead in that one. Collapse
  13. DarrinR.
    Mar 21, 2007
    More loose ends than you can shake a stick at, this movie worked and worked into a big fat nothing. A movie about espionage which attempts to wow you by delivering zero surprises when you expected many. Good acting dragged down by no coherent reasons for anything.

1. Now Ray has directed his second film, the abysmally titled Breach, and it's a bona fide companion piece, another true-life tale of duplicity gone secretly insane.
  2. These days it's going to take a pretty exceptional political thriller to top our political reality for sheer suspense and treachery, and though director Ray (Shattered Glass) provides a few choice moments of psychological tension, nothing in his film can hope to outpace the anxiety caused by the appearance of former Attorney General John Ashcroft in its opening scene.
    Here is one of the best American actors (Chris Cooper) in one of his best parts.