October Films | Release Date: November 13, 1996
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 49 Ratings
WATCH NOW
LauraGSep 22, 2008
You just can't close your mouth once the movie has finished.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
PatC.Oct 14, 2005
This ambitous film goes exactly where it wants to, but the editing is a bit generous, always an indicator that a film may be taking itself too seriously. Some of the enabling characters take on stereotypical tones, and the entire plot hangs This ambitous film goes exactly where it wants to, but the editing is a bit generous, always an indicator that a film may be taking itself too seriously. Some of the enabling characters take on stereotypical tones, and the entire plot hangs tenuously on a damning indictment of freighter captains. The shift at the end from actuality to religious allegory is a bit of a push. An obviously flawed movie, but remaining brilliantly undiminished because of its realistic portrayal of community chaos from too much order imposed by and upon the dysfunctional. The film is startling in its splendid acting, eclectic musical interludes, surreal cinematography, and powerful character development. Definitely not a film for all tastes, but dead on for those who have found life to work that way. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
antoñeteDec 29, 2006
Unforgettable masterpiece with a masterclass perfomance by Emily Watson as Bess McNeill.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
johnblack1979Aug 2, 2015
Deadly boring. Give me back my 150 minutes. Total waste of time. I will never understand why people are so fascinated by these artsy craps. My eyes still hurt because of the pixeling..
JayHAug 30, 2009
Emotionally, the film is devastating, and it is certainly not a cheery movie. The performances are rich and deep, Emily Watson is amazing. I was a bit disappointed in the ending however, but it is a very well crafted film.
0 of 0 users found this helpful