5.7

1. Nov 10, 2014
    While it offers a fair amount of cool parkour action, the Paul Walker vehicle Brick Mansions fails to justify that. Wooden dialogue, weak characters, a derivative plot and lack of entertainment hampers this down.
  2. Nov 4, 2014
    Brick Mansions es una película de acción simple, con momentos clichés predecibles y escenas a veces "ridículas" la historia se centra en la rebelión del pueblo contra el gobierno, pues estos se encuentran en una zona abandonada sin apoyo, hasta aquí todo bien, pero la trama cambia por completo cuando aparece un tipo parkour intentando salvar a su chica, creando una trama totalmenteBrick Mansions es una película de acción simple, con momentos clichés predecibles y escenas a veces "ridículas" la historia se centra en la rebelión del pueblo contra el gobierno, pues estos se encuentran en una zona abandonada sin apoyo, hasta aquí todo bien, pero la trama cambia por completo cuando aparece un tipo parkour intentando salvar a su chica, creando una trama totalmente distinta y dejando a lado lo principal, Paul Walker, de ser un policía (típico papel de el) que no es maestro del parkour, en menos de 10 minutos es un experto ¿PERO QUE? Si es algo estúpido, pero la película así de lo pone, el final es el típico de una película de estas, un giro inesperado que hacer que los buenos sean malos y los malos sean buenos.
    Película para pasar el rato, la esperaba mejor (por parte de paul walker) pero me decepciono.
  3. Oct 17, 2014
    Exciting pakour and fun action are present, but the real appeal for many here is going to be Paul Walker (R.I.P.). Unfortunately he seems wasted in this film. It's the very definition of a dumb American remake, that will probably leave even the most forgiving Walker fan disappointed with one of his final projects.

It's even more disappointing if you've watched the excellent source

It's even more disappointing if you've watched the excellent source material, District B13. Our leads (Belle and Walker) give phoned in performances. It's as if they weren't trying because they knew how terrible their dialog was and how much dumber the twists to the story are. It's cool seeing the changes they added to certain scenes from the original, but the changes to the plot drag it down. Some of them make literally no sense, some depth is lost, and it all just feels rushed thanks to missing context. They really botched it in this department.

However the action mostly delivers. Like I said the parkour is exciting, and easily the best part. The fights are fun and take on a more brutal feel than the original's. They both easily make the film at least watchable, if not entertaining.

It's a very disappointing movie. It makes bad changes to the original movie, fails to take advantage of it's great leads, and is nowhere near as exciting as those trailers made it look. That being said there is some fun to be had here. It'll be worth a rental for the more forgiving action movie fans, or just those who want to see Paul Walker again. Just don't expect it to live up to District B13, or deliver with it's at times idiotic plot. Come for the parkour and for Walker, and you should at least be entertained. I know I was despite my overall disappointment. My total score is a 6.2/10.
  4. Sep 28, 2014
    This movie is NOT good! It is a VERY poor rip off of the original Banlieue 13. That was a good movie, good story, with much better acting. The disturbing thing about this movie is much of it follows the exact same play line, fights, car chases, kidnap the hot chick its all the same. The entire 1st seen is practically exactly the same as the one they ripped off. Even the main man Not theThis movie is NOT good! It is a VERY poor rip off of the original Banlieue 13. That was a good movie, good story, with much better acting. The disturbing thing about this movie is much of it follows the exact same play line, fights, car chases, kidnap the hot chick its all the same. The entire 1st seen is practically exactly the same as the one they ripped off. Even the main man Not the cop Paul Walker, the other guy who is much better all round, he is the SAME guy.

Rubbish, bin it!
  5. Sep 9, 2014
    This film is just there not much more than that. You really don't care about any of the characters and while some of the action is cool other scenes are filmed in that awful slow mo. There's just nothing to this movie. C-
  6. Sep 5, 2014
    An American remake of the French film 2004's District B13-ten years after the original came out. I wonder what legal issues that represents...as the original is still out there for sale in the big stores like HMV. The remake was a good film-but it wasn't anything different than the original. I would have thought that filmmakers would rather come up with new ideas so they don't have to payAn American remake of the French film 2004's District B13-ten years after the original came out. I wonder what legal issues that represents...as the original is still out there for sale in the big stores like HMV. The remake was a good film-but it wasn't anything different than the original. I would have thought that filmmakers would rather come up with new ideas so they don't have to pay royalties to other producers for using their work as a basis for a "new" film. There has been a lot of that lately-Robocop was redone-and the original was also American-and then recently there was a US version of The Girl With The Dragon tattoo in 2011, a scant two years after the Swedish movie by the same name was made. I don't think there is much you can really say about Brick Mansion's other than it contains Paul Walker who is now no longer with us. The film is OK if you are stuck for something to see or are just curious about the remake. Whats next I wonder-remakes of remakes? They should try to bring new idea to the screen and stop relying on things other contemporary filmmakers have done, in order to sell tickets. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2014
    While it offers a decent amount of cool parkour action, Brick Mansions fails to justify that. Wooden dialogue, weak characters, a derivative plot and lack of entertainment hampers this down.
  8. Aug 14, 2014
    Basically a by-the-numbers action film that would/ should have gone straight to DVD if it wasn't for the Paul Walker thing and the presence of some parkour guru. But those things don't stop it from being a cliched and boring sequence of set pieces. Car chase, parkour, fight, hot girl, repeat. We all know how it's going to end right from the start. We all know the plot makes no sense andBasically a by-the-numbers action film that would/ should have gone straight to DVD if it wasn't for the Paul Walker thing and the presence of some parkour guru. But those things don't stop it from being a cliched and boring sequence of set pieces. Car chase, parkour, fight, hot girl, repeat. We all know how it's going to end right from the start. We all know the plot makes no sense and is no more than thinly veiled set up for the action sequences. I left before the end and only stayed that long because I bought a large popcorn. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2014
    Even if we saw this movie a few years ago entitled "District B13" an interesting indie film that introduced the world (in a small portion) to the depth and creativity that parkour stunts captivate. So where does that leave us?... ah yes.. District B13 dubbed in French is actually called.. you guessed it, Brick Mansions
    Obviously that stakes are different on this film for a number of
    Obviously that stakes are different on this film for a number of reasons. The most notable, is that this is the final completed role of the late, Paul Walker before his tragic death in an automobile accident last November. Bittersweet is not the word I would use, more like, sad and empathy. Paul Walker does turn in a more than humble performance and his stunts are top notch. "Brick Mansions" is a blast to watch, from start to it's speedy quick finish. While the film requires a multitude of suspended disbelief, as most action films of this caliber do. Aside from some poorly dubbed lines from French co-star, and co-founder of Parkour David Belle, and a more laughable and cheesy performance from rapper, RZA. This is the more impressive Luc Besson adaptation to come along in a while. Mainly due in part to the devoted dedication of this crew and the cool and hip stunts.

In a dystopian Detroit, there are abandoned Brick Mansions, left from a better times, but now house only the most notorious and ruthless criminals Unable to control the crime spree, the city sanctioned off the town with huge barricades and secluded them from the rest of the world. Undercover narcotics cop, Damian Collier (Walker) every day is a struggle against corruption and for Lino (Belle) is just to survive. The pair unlikely cross paths in a battle to take down kingpin Tremaine Alexander (RZA).

As stated above the film is a remake of the 2004 film "District B13" and quite honestly if you watch that film, you will be surprised how eerily similar the films are. I had a few quarrels with the film's nonchalant plot, (if there was any). French Director,Camille Delamarre choppy edits the film to lengths where you barely understand what's happening. Some of the artistic choices were muffled on a path of obscurity. Aside from Paul Walker, the cast is filled with, what could have been, actors reading their lines off a billboard. I have the utmost respect for David Belle, I mean the guy is 44 years old and YOU should see some of the stuff he does in this film, amazing. Aside from the talent he brings in that aspect, I could barely understand him. All of Belle's lines were either dubbed or whispers, and I consistently scratched my head and asked what he was saying. The visual texture of the scenery was impressive for a low budget film. The cast looked like they had a fun time making the film.

Aside from the poor editing, tasteless performances and poorly dubbed lines. "Brick Mansions" gets a subtle pass on this end. A highly enjoyable escapade on the front lines of action. Nobody could say the stunts in this film are boring, cause their not. The cast is likable enough to merit the flaws. I enjoyed the quick 89 min run-time, that further add to the intensity of the film. Whatever resemblance of a plot there was, and the cheesy one liners you only get with an action film of this level. However, on the Luc Besson scale this is a significant improvement. (His movies usually tend to disappoint; see "3 Days To Kill", "Lockout" , "Taken 2" and "The Family") I only wish Paul Walker could be here to see his work completed, he is so full of life in this film and it's so tragic we lost him to soon. The film does a nice tribute at the end of the film, which brought my crowded theater to roaring applause. Just for Walker, you have to see this film.

B

Release Date: April 25th 2014
    Studio: Relativity Media

Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  10. Jul 11, 2014
    I was alone in the movie theater, 200 seats. The problem with this movie is that it´s basically a rip off of the great original banlieue 13 movie, i didn´t except it to be that close to that original, a lot of scenes are 1on1. The banlieue movies are one of my favorites, so brick mansions felt more like a bad deja-vu than an interesting new interpretation. Banlieue 13 has way more styleI was alone in the movie theater, 200 seats. The problem with this movie is that it´s basically a rip off of the great original banlieue 13 movie, i didn´t except it to be that close to that original, a lot of scenes are 1on1. The banlieue movies are one of my favorites, so brick mansions felt more like a bad deja-vu than an interesting new interpretation. Banlieue 13 has way more style and more important, with raffaelli, belle had an equal skilled partner; cause Walker as a fighter is just **** he looks better behind the wheel- or not. Without the comparison to the original movie, i would´ve rated it higher because it´s a nice little, diverting movie Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2014
    Its better than spidey 2, xmen, capt america 2. more entertaining than lots of stuff out there. action is legit. would watch it again when it hits cable and that is really the test. sure the plot is thin and the acting is kind of weak in spots. worth a look if you're looking to waste a couple hours and don"t want to think or get a message. similar to jet li movies.
  12. May 18, 2014
    must admit this film is going to be a flop it started amazing but got silly in places nothing you can take serious it again is average 6/10 but the action was good and there is alot
    something to buy = no
    something to watch if nothing else on cinema = yes
  13. May 17, 2014
    "What a loss. But it's good to see Paul Walker back in action. The trancheur French-parkour, David Belle's action was still hardcore than District 13. RZA was just another good looking villain trying to changed the roles to good-guys. The minor villain such as K2 was really a bad idea for Luc Besson. Hope there is a sequel coming up..."
  14. May 13, 2014
    THIS IS A B MOVIE!!!! Anyone that rates this movie above a 5 is just feeling nostalgic for Paul Walker. This was the cheesiest/low budget B movie that I have ever seen in a movie theater. I imagine it was going to go directly to DVD/Bluray but since Paul Walker passed away, they decided to put it in theaters.
    1. Terrible acting....so bad it kept taking me out of movie.
    2. Ridiculous
    1. Terrible acting....so bad it kept taking me out of movie.
    2. Ridiculous special effects. Like it was made for an NBC drama.
    3. Story & Plot made absolutely no sense.
    4. Literally the most ridiculous end I have ever seen in a theatrical movie.

If you are totally wasted and 15 years old you might like this. If you are a sober adult then stay away.
    I knew I should have snuck that 40z into the theater :(
  15. May 4, 2014
    Horrible style on the plot, likely only way people would see this movie is for Paul Walker as this being his last finished movie. It has it's moments, but not enough to save this movie. The poor acting by the french guy and latino lady is another nail in the coffin.
  16. May 2, 2014
    A bunch of talking, punching and kicking, car chase, repeat. That's basically the structure of the entire film. However, it still manages to be one of those kinds of movies where it's so stupid and ridiculous that it's somewhat fun to watch. That's how I felt about this film overall. Unfortunately, there's little to no plot in this film. Paul Walker gives a worthwhile performance in hisA bunch of talking, punching and kicking, car chase, repeat. That's basically the structure of the entire film. However, it still manages to be one of those kinds of movies where it's so stupid and ridiculous that it's somewhat fun to watch. That's how I felt about this film overall. Unfortunately, there's little to no plot in this film. Paul Walker gives a worthwhile performance in his second to last role (Fast and Furious 7 is his final next year.) David Belle pretty much plays the exact same character he did in the original District B13. RZA tried, but made for a rather wooden and undeveloped antagonist. Overall, it's wreckless, but slightly entertaining at the same time. As long as you go in expecting some entertaining action and nothing more, you won't be too disappointed. Expand
  17. May 1, 2014
    The film's opening sequence features French Parkour star David Belle's athletic acrobatics as he outruns and outsmarts dozens of bad guys…and it's downhill from there. He teams up with Paul Walker as a renegade cop (is there any other kind?) to bring down the gangstas. The plot is so ludicrous that it's not worth outlining, but suffice it to say that it's an extremely dumb framework for anThe film's opening sequence features French Parkour star David Belle's athletic acrobatics as he outruns and outsmarts dozens of bad guys…and it's downhill from there. He teams up with Paul Walker as a renegade cop (is there any other kind?) to bring down the gangstas. The plot is so ludicrous that it's not worth outlining, but suffice it to say that it's an extremely dumb framework for an onslaught of mostly mediocre fights and frantic chases. The action is usually shot too blurry and edited to frenetically to appreciate the effort. Hopefully, the next "Fast & Furious" will be a better film, because this would be an embarrassing sendoff for Walker. Expand
  18. Apr 29, 2014
    A great fantastic action-parkour movies featuring Belle new action stunt. Many have disappointed over Walkers death but, he still got his action on Brick Mansions. Still, some kick-backing action was still cooler and awesome!
  19. Apr 29, 2014
    Excellent , Great n fantastic movie i must say.......awesome parkour stunts.....Villians good....everything goood Paul waker's last finished movie...so it adds up to these and make the film very "VERY" good..
    U guys must watch it.. Superb Movie MUST WATCH....
    U guys must watch it.. Superb Movie MUST WATCH....

Only back grade is that the poster deigns were not very good so people think its a bad movie and dont watch it .....but its not like that ...
    EXCELLENT i loved it
  20. Apr 28, 2014
    Cartoony - but has heart. Part of me wished it was grittier (there's a jail scene that shows how cool it could have been), but once I realized it was supposed to be fun, I just enjoyed the movie.
  21. Apr 28, 2014
    It's really sad that Brick Mansions is Paul Walker's final movie and since he meant everything so much whether it's fast cars, beautiful women, or the exotic models in or outside of the Fast and Furious series, he made a smile out of everyone to come out and support his loyal fans what a charistmatic and entertaining star he is and now he's in heaven right now. R.I.P. Paul Walker. I feltIt's really sad that Brick Mansions is Paul Walker's final movie and since he meant everything so much whether it's fast cars, beautiful women, or the exotic models in or outside of the Fast and Furious series, he made a smile out of everyone to come out and support his loyal fans what a charistmatic and entertaining star he is and now he's in heaven right now. R.I.P. Paul Walker. I felt that Brick Mansions feels too short of a remake of the cult classic "District B13 (Banlieue 13 in French)." The good news is that Paul and David Belle did some incredible moves and backflips and it was awesome. The bad news is that director Camille Delamarre and producer Luc Besson of La Femme Nikita fame has really made the film look difficult and sometimes it's hard to understand why you want to remake a 10-year-old French classic. But the script feels weak, I don't know about RZA's performance. It's a so-so but blatant effort and Besson, however, has too much pressure on what's his next goal and hopefully he could fail another movie. Even though it's hard to put Paul Walker on that role, but I think Brick Mansions is a "thanks, but no thanks" good but betrayed movie of the year. Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2014
    Wow. The only reason I went to see Brick Mansions was for Paul Walker, and it seems like this was an instant cash in after the great actor's death. That's why Brick Mansions was so hyped. I didn't want a movie like Brick Mansions and IAM sure that you won't too after watching it. The parkour is excellent, the sense of vibe and energy fills the screen with great action and parkour skills.Wow. The only reason I went to see Brick Mansions was for Paul Walker, and it seems like this was an instant cash in after the great actor's death. That's why Brick Mansions was so hyped. I didn't want a movie like Brick Mansions and IAM sure that you won't too after watching it. The parkour is excellent, the sense of vibe and energy fills the screen with great action and parkour skills. David Belle is on the top of his game. But, if you have watched District 13, there is actually no point in seeing Brick Mansions. Sure, it has some great action and parkour but the exact same story, same twists, some bad acting- ESPECIALLY RZA. Director Camille Delamarre just wanted a washed out version of the great original by Pierre Morel. The acting and the friendship of Belle and Walker plays out well with great acting by the duo. But RZA makes the movie fall though, his character- a coward boss of Brick Mansions slows down the movie on its great potential. The stunts are great but there is no sense it Brick Mansions it feels like a straight-to-dvd movie if it weren't for Paul Walker. One time watch for fans, but really do you want to see District 13 again in theatres, with washed out story and screenplay? Take that in mind before buying tickets for the movie. If you are a die hard Paul Walker and parkour fan, give it a watch. Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2014
    I never liked the series of films Brick Mansions. Stupid story like music too, I did not like. Generally put the film 2 out of 10 but as it is necessary to recall the old days it will add a little Paul. So toga 5 out of 10.
  24. Apr 25, 2014
    It was great to see Paul Walker again - what a loss! Other than that, this was FAR too similar to the original French film, and the "bad" dudes weren't nearly as menacing, for some reason. And the plot twists toward the end are completely ridiculous. But the parkour is great fun.

1. Reviewed by: Chris Klimek
    Jun 3, 2014
    This is an almost scene-for-scene remake — but not a shot-for-shot remake, which likely would have been more enjoyable.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Neish
    May 3, 2014
    It's essentially a collection of shoddily edited action sequences, underpinned by a monotonous narrative that has no purpose, let alone moral heart to reward viewers' waning attention.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    May 3, 2014
    Director Camille Delamarre and Luc Besson, who co-wrote the screenplay, relocate the story to Detroit and tone down some of its (admittedly broad) social satire — although the Parkour remains centre-stage, and is mostly hair-raising.