7.2

1. Dec 30, 2011
    This movie turns out to be one of the years greatest surprises. This is not just about the script and delivery that makes you laugh but it can as well offer a good emotional transference to it's viewers. If my girl friends will see this... they might just keep a tissue on their hands--tears for the laughs and hurts. movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  2. Aug 18, 2013
    As producer Judd Apatow has said, Bridesmaids doesn't really break any new ground, a popular and crowd-pleasing genre in the form of weddings, but the difference here is the believability of it all, the crudeness, ridiculousness and competition, how one girl getting married affects her best friend, who struggles with what she perceives to be a mediocre life compared to her lucky friend.As producer Judd Apatow has said, Bridesmaids doesn't really break any new ground, a popular and crowd-pleasing genre in the form of weddings, but the difference here is the believability of it all, the crudeness, ridiculousness and competition, how one girl getting married affects her best friend, who struggles with what she perceives to be a mediocre life compared to her lucky friend. Kristen Wiig writes and stars in this witty comedy as Annie, a former bakery owner who soldiers on in a jewellery store she doesn't enjoy and an apartment she shares with two eccentric individuals.
    Her friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is the lucky bride to be, the two have known each other for a very long time, but weighing in on the friendship is the rich and beautiful Helen (Rose Byrne), who attempts to take control of proceedings away from Annie, besting her at every turn with her fortune and looks, while Annie struggles with her own life financially as the bridesmaids begin to suit up for the wedding. We are also introduced to a kind-hearted policeman called Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) who remembers Annie from the bakery she use to own, and he begins attempting to turn her back to baking again.
    But one cannot write a Bridesmaids review without mentioning Melissa McCarthy, who undoubtedly delivers some of the crudest but funniest parts of the film, her confidence, unwomanly attitude yet surprising occupation complete a very interesting and comical character. She isn't put into the stereotypical "large woman" woman role where the rest of the cast pokes fun, but her personal quips about herself will have you laughing and repeating them after the film ends. Several moments throughout the film stand out, but a particular dress fitting that ends rather differently than usual is one of the shining moments of the film, but what we also get is memorable characters, ones who may not appear onscreen as much as others but still have plenty of tricks up their sleeves, a character-driven comedy is hard to see in the current age of slapstick and sight gags, but we see relationships break and remake throughout the film. It has a fun time but also gives us a message of sticking to it no matter what might happen.
    There is plenty to like about Bridesmaids, it has a witty and realistic setting of a script and gives the women a chance to have their own party, and what a party it turns out to be.
  3. Dec 13, 2011
    If you're looking for a comedy that will make you cry laughing, run to the theaters and see this now. "Bridesmaids" is hysterically funny from beginning to end. Better yet, it doesn't just rely on gross out gags for entertainment. Screenwriters Kristen Wiig (who also stars) and Annie Mumolo also manage to create complex characters, and they provide fresh insight into the meaning ofIf you're looking for a comedy that will make you cry laughing, run to the theaters and see this now. "Bridesmaids" is hysterically funny from beginning to end. Better yet, it doesn't just rely on gross out gags for entertainment. Screenwriters Kristen Wiig (who also stars) and Annie Mumolo also manage to create complex characters, and they provide fresh insight into the meaning of friendship and true love. I especially loved the development of Melissa McCarthy's character. Here's a character that could have been the stereotypical fat girl, but instead she's treated as a real person, and ends up being one of the emotional anchors of the film. A lot of people have been calling this the female Hangover, and I don't really see much of a comparison. The stories are completely different. Yes, they both center around wedding parties, but "The Hangover" was much more of an ensemble piece while this one centers around Kristen Wiig's character trying to find herself. There are a few moments where "Bridesmaids" tries in vain to keep you laughing, but for the most part, it is one hilarious ride filled with gags that everyone can relate to. Guys, this is not a chick flick for only females. You will laugh just as much here as you did in "The Hangover," if not more. This is a comedy that everyone should enjoy. Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2011
    I hope this movie is a glimpse of Kristen Wiigâ
  5. Feb 23, 2013
    Ever since this movie came out, I've heard great things about it, still, I was hesitant to see it. I mean bridesmaids, a wedding, I just wasn't sure. It was however produced by Judd Apatow, and that alone made me give it a chance. Basically, Bridesmaids is a girls version of The Hangover meets Knocked Up, with an almost trip to Vegas and without the hangover. Kristen Wiig is the writer andEver since this movie came out, I've heard great things about it, still, I was hesitant to see it. I mean bridesmaids, a wedding, I just wasn't sure. It was however produced by Judd Apatow, and that alone made me give it a chance. Basically, Bridesmaids is a girls version of The Hangover meets Knocked Up, with an almost trip to Vegas and without the hangover. Kristen Wiig is the writer and star of this film and she was great! I'd never even heard of her before this film came out, but after seeing it, I want a lot more. It seems pretty hard for a woman to make it in comedy, it's a fairly rare event, but she's got a tremendous future ahead of her. As for the story it's pretty solid, it's a comedy, so you're not really looking for realism, just something cohesive that you can follow and this definitely fits the bill. If you're looking for something funny, but different, I'd highly recommend this film. Expand
  6. Jan 31, 2012
    As raunchy as any female flick could bear, BRIDESMAIDS is not just a female version of THE HANGOVER spin-off. It hinges firmly on a 3S ladyâ
  7. Jan 13, 2012
    The Best R-Rated female comedy film that I;ve watched...It is so funny and real. The main cast deliver the character with effortless. The movie is so funny,sweet,emotional and smart that all ages will be like it and especially the male viewers will also love it.
  8. Apr 7, 2012
    Okey, so apparently this is a comedy! Did it made me laugh? Yes, it did, just a few times. I am not denying the fact that many people can love it. It is just not what I expect a good comedy to be. To me, it is not good, smart humour. Some may claim that this is one of those comedies that are there to relax you, and do not attempt to make you think. Sure! But even when I relax (and I amOkey, so apparently this is a comedy! Did it made me laugh? Yes, it did, just a few times. I am not denying the fact that many people can love it. It is just not what I expect a good comedy to be. To me, it is not good, smart humour. Some may claim that this is one of those comedies that are there to relax you, and do not attempt to make you think. Sure! But even when I relax (and I am veeeery relaxed person), I want to think, feel, and enjoy what I see. Because it is thinking what actually make me establish a judgement about the quality -or lack of it- of a film. Therefore, something that I believe is plain silly just doesn't make me laugh for if I want to see stupidity, I don't need to spend my money on it, I can just turn the tv on or surf the net and I will surely find plenty of vulgarity and idiocy. Bridesmaids was cheap and mediocre. The ending of this movie (actually, after the credits) was in my opinion, completely unnecessary and obnoxious. Unlike what many may assume, I am not a religious person at all, neither I am hypersensible, or conservative...quite the opposite; I am actually very liberal, analytical, and carefree; but to me, the overexposure of sex , makes me think about those who are not free about it, otherwise why sooo much focus on it? I enjoy it in my private life, and of course I can freely discuss sex with my friends and acquantainces; I can also watch and enjoy erotic scenes on tv within the right context' but here it was totally out of place. This movie was not hideous, but was at times gruesome, and it was also unengaging. In fact, the leading characters were annoying, miserable, insecure, ridiculous, and so pathetic that I am glad no one I know is like them...and I couldn't be around those sort of women either. Those characters do not make me laugh but they bore me. Unfortunately, there was not a single character in this movie who had some brains!. The comedies I enjoy are so different! My favourite comedy ever is perhaps The Full Monty, there are other more recent and of course not as original comedies, less subtle and light, and yet fun and not gross; The Hangover, for example is refreshing, definitely a thousand times better than Bridesmaid! Thus, I do not recommend this movie, especially if you have a more delicate taste. Expand
  9. Jan 19, 2012
    Great movie. Though it seems like comedies are starting to follow the same formula nowadays, this one shines above the rest. This was the funniest movie in 2011.
  10. Jan 27, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. It was raunchy but not too raunchy. It was simultaneously hysterical and heartwarming. I think that I have a new comedy to throw in my rotation of rewatchable comedies.
  11. May 12, 2012
    I am amazed by the reception of this film and saddened by the comparisons to "The Hangover", an actually funny movie, with a plot and a great script. This has neither. It is just terrible. The fact that it got an Oscar nomination is just an indication of how low public taste has sunk. It is as though Aptow took "My best friend's wedding" dumbed it down and had a mentally challenged HighI am amazed by the reception of this film and saddened by the comparisons to "The Hangover", an actually funny movie, with a plot and a great script. This has neither. It is just terrible. The fact that it got an Oscar nomination is just an indication of how low public taste has sunk. It is as though Aptow took "My best friend's wedding" dumbed it down and had a mentally challenged High Schooler write the script. I am writing this in reaction to the reviews I saw here. However, I wrote a small review when I first saw it expressing my immediate reaction: Wow..I don't know what to say, that may have been one of the worst movies ever; not funny, not charming, not good. While it is true that I like bad movies, this is just bad/bad. A great bad movie is bad/funny or bad/cheesy or bad/stupid; this wasn't any of those things, it was just dull. Dull, dull, dull. The story - lame, the acting - flat, the dialog - unsparkling, the jokes - unfunny. This movie had some pretty solid performers, but it sucked any remnant of talent from all of them. Even the title is misleading, this was not an ensemble piece, it was all about one character played by Kristen Wiig who also wrote the movie. From this outing my perception is that she sucks. The dialog lacked wit, and the performance lacked charm. You don't care about her sad life or her stupid behavior; you just wish it would end, sooner rather than later. Two hours of my life I can never get back. For Review of better movies go to: http://badmovielover.blogspot.com Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    All I have heard is about how this movie is hilarious and better than most of the comedies that have been released in the last 5 years. So I finally watch it today and I have to say I was fooled. If the people who made the movie were going for a drama with a splash of comedy they succeeded but all guides say it's a comedy. If I would have missed all of the hype and just watched it as aAll I have heard is about how this movie is hilarious and better than most of the comedies that have been released in the last 5 years. So I finally watch it today and I have to say I was fooled. If the people who made the movie were going for a drama with a splash of comedy they succeeded but all guides say it's a comedy. If I would have missed all of the hype and just watched it as a regular movie I probably would've enjoyed it more but I was disappointed over all. Expand
  13. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the best movies ever, is really funny, yes more tha the boring Paul, Bridesmaids is a new classic of the comedy, with funny situations, great performance. Bridesmaids rocks.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    It's not funny. The acting isn't very good. The main character Annie and her friend (can't even remember her name, played by Maya Rudolph) are annoying. We're meant to feel sympathetic towards Annie when really she's an incredibly selfish destructive person. The "antagonist", if you can call her that pretty much just stands back and just lets Annie ruin herself and her friends' lives. AndIt's not funny. The acting isn't very good. The main character Annie and her friend (can't even remember her name, played by Maya Rudolph) are annoying. We're meant to feel sympathetic towards Annie when really she's an incredibly selfish destructive person. The "antagonist", if you can call her that pretty much just stands back and just lets Annie ruin herself and her friends' lives. And then when she comes to Annie in a time of weakness Annie treats her like **** and acts like It's her that was wrong. Expand
  15. Aug 25, 2014
    I'm not sure that Bridesmaids was meant to become a great American comedy, but it has gone on to greater lengths and is sure to become classic. This group of women are able to grab hold of you immediately and entertain you to no end. Kristen Wiig proves to be not only a hysterical on-screen comedienne but also a gifted comedic writer.
  16. Apr 3, 2012
    Was Bridesmaids suppose to be a comedy because it certainly didn't come across that way. Apatow has created some very funny films but this one is just bad. It is sad when there are Adam Sandler films that are funnier than this.
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    Clever, funny, and well acted. The ladies of this movie have a knack for comedic timing and deliver great performances. It is a sincere outrageous movie that never feels dull.
  18. Feb 18, 2013
    Before seeing Bridesmaids, I genuinely thought it was just a female Hangover rip-off. Maybe that was the marketing or maybe I was being lazy. Having seen the film, the truth lies somewhere between the two. Yes, its about chaotic pre-wedding festivities, the gang intend to go to Vegas and yes, there are some moments of hilarious toilet humour, but that's about it. Melissa McCarthy stealsBefore seeing Bridesmaids, I genuinely thought it was just a female Hangover rip-off. Maybe that was the marketing or maybe I was being lazy. Having seen the film, the truth lies somewhere between the two. Yes, its about chaotic pre-wedding festivities, the gang intend to go to Vegas and yes, there are some moments of hilarious toilet humour, but that's about it. Melissa McCarthy steals most scenes she is in with her brazen vulgarity, a supporting role for which she was Oscar nominated. Prior to his appearance in Lena Durham's Girls (also produced by Apatow), Chris O'Dowd appears as a traffic officer and Matt Lucas has a cameo as Annie's landlord. After reading that Rose Byrne and Wiig ad-libbed most of the speech scene, Byrne's stock has increased in my eyes, as I would never have thought her capable of a comedy role. What sets Bridesmaids apart is that as well being hilarious, it's script has heart, and genuine heart, not the over the top contrived heart usually found at the end of most comedies. Over everything else, Bridesmaids is a showcase for Kristen Wiig's sharp co-written script and funny portrayal as the flawed and troubled maid of honour. Her inclusion in the upcoming Anchorman sequel is surely down to the success of Bridesmaids.

I would even go as far as that the girls have outdone the boys and produced a comedy better than its closest sibling, The Hangover.
  19. Jun 6, 2012
    A Really Good Funny Ass Movie!
  20. Jul 21, 2012
    Bridesmaids is cringe-worthy funny but it is nowhere near the levels of comedic worth that I have come to expect of Apatow-produced films. Melissa McCarthy is very funny, as is Jon Hamm's small role but all in all it is not enough to rate this film extremely highly. Still, it is definitely worth a view or two and will liven up a quiet night in for sure.
  21. Aug 10, 2012
    Kristen Wiig delivers a break-out performance from a raunchy, hilarious script she co-wrote. The film is nothing short of genius, with hilarious turns by all of the supporting players (especially Melissa McCarthy) as it wasn't at all a shock to see this film receive awards season attention a year ago.
  22. Nov 30, 2013
    its way too long and predictable.Here and there some good jokes but its not enough for justify the garbage they feed at .Bunch of clumsy women trying so hard to make jokes but in the end i felt pity for writers and the actresses
  23. Dec 21, 2012
    I can't believe this movie. It does have laugh out loud moments. Overall, at the end of it, I felt cheated. It's a mediocre movie that can't be too horrible, but my God, it's seriously one of the films that will be quoted by teenage girls for years. I am 16 years old, and although I do have to say, I enjoyed a couple of scenes, in the end it felt like the whole movie was unecessary.
  24. Mar 25, 2013
    Best comedy I've seen in a long time. Great story, funny scenes, and characters I actually cared about. I love how this movie went the route of having a flawed main character who grows to be a better person. I'd recommend this for anyone.
  25. Nov 7, 2012
    It goes a little overboard on a few occasions, particularly the extended dress shop barfing scene, but hey, it's got soul, and Melissa McCarthy is fantastic.
  26. Dec 7, 2012
    Seriously a great film, and sure to be a classic in time! Smart, quirky, memorable, and hilarious! Kristen Wiig is great, as is the entire cast, but Melissa McCarthy gives a star-making performance.
  27. Jan 19, 2013
    This is one very funny movie thanks to a great mostly female cast. Kristin Wiig leads and, as always, she is just hilarious and carries the film on her shoulders. Props must be given, however, to Melissa McCarthy who easily provides a large amount of the laughs despite only having a supporting role. It's also a great concept of probably a tale that is all too common when it comes toThis is one very funny movie thanks to a great mostly female cast. Kristin Wiig leads and, as always, she is just hilarious and carries the film on her shoulders. Props must be given, however, to Melissa McCarthy who easily provides a large amount of the laughs despite only having a supporting role. It's also a great concept of probably a tale that is all too common when it comes to bridesmaids. Overall a very funny film that has been compared to 'The Hangover', but with girls ;) Expand
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    Hilarious! The humour in this film is so varied, it varies from subtle dry humour to crudeness. Admittedly some of it is cringey but this is overlooked by the pure wit and amazing comedy acting from some of the funniest comedy actresses you will see. Definitely a girls film but enjoyable for guys as well, every girl will understand and relate to this film! A must see for a feel good movie!
  29. Oct 19, 2014
    It is astonishing to think that this piece of shallow silliness got two Oscar nominations. However, it works very well as an indicator of the sorry state of contemporary society. The story revolves around Annie Walker, a most annoying woman who would be a perfect character for a cheap sitcom.

Annie alleged best friend Lillian is getting married and that horrendously stressing event that is an American wedding must be organized. Countless chick flicks have been there, only to underline how the true meaning of getting married and any shred of happiness are lost in the process of having so much “organized” fun.

Produced by Apatow and co-written by Kristen Wiig, who is also starring – and appearing in every scene - as main character Annie Walker. If you know a bit about movies, this can explain why it is so bad. Apatow is the king of crass, vulgar, unfunny comedies. Wiig wanted to make clear she is the star. Unfortunately, like most female comedians, she seems to think that the only way to make women “funny” is to degrade them. Surely they get plenty of humiliations in this movie, but this does not make the movie funny in any way.
  30. Jul 18, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    I usually don’t like critiquing comedies, because the trend for them has been to forsake story and character development for snappy one-liners and cheap gags. Bridesmaids is the odd one out. Not only is it a female-centered comedy, it is an AMAZING female-centered comedy, and definitely the best comedy of 2011. Director Paul Feig gives the film unprecedented heart, and Kristen Wiig plays the role of a downward spiraling, paranoid maid of honor perfectly.
    Just because it is a female comedy doesn’t mean Bridesmaids can’t be raunchy and explicit. And Feig makes this very clear. From Melissa McCarthy’s painful outbursts of explosive diarrhea to Wiig’s psychotic breakdown at the bachelorette party, Feig proves that women can be just as vulgar as men in comedy. Basically, think of Bridesmaids as the female counterpart of The Hangover.
    Wiig’s character is also one of the best female characters of the year. From the airplane scene, to the fitting scene, to the bachelorette party, down to her personal life, Wiig plays a well rounded, three-dimensional character whose perspective allows the comedy to reach its full potential.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Bridesmaids approaches the genre of raunchy physical comedy the way its ladies should approach anything; intelligently, meaningfully, and full of hilarious surprises.

FINAL SCORE: 80 (excitingly great)
  31. May 25, 2014
    Bridesmaids is a good chick flick that guys can find watchable and like. The plot may be pointless and washed out the film plays to its strong points. The great dialog and how the main cast plays off each other also all the funny scenarios the women find themselves in. The whole cast was great Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper butBridesmaids is a good chick flick that guys can find watchable and like. The plot may be pointless and washed out the film plays to its strong points. The great dialog and how the main cast plays off each other also all the funny scenarios the women find themselves in. The whole cast was great Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper but id have to say that Melissa McCarthy was absolutely the funniest and it was her breakout role i loved Kristen Wiig she has great comedic talent. The film did have more drama then i was expecting but it played well with the comedy so that was good. The movie was geting a lot of love when it first came out and was clearly a hit because then we got rip off movies about the same thing *cough cough Bachelorette cough*

Overall i give it a 6.5
  32. Nov 30, 2014
    After rewatching 'The Hangover', I heard that this was the quote on quote, female version. whoever told me this was wrong. I don't give a f**k who says its a good movie, but it's perpetual and annoying nauseating and with the exception of a few scenes with Melissa McCarthy, unfunny. I hate Kristen Wiig. She is just the most irritating comedian to watch; no offense to her, but she'sAfter rewatching 'The Hangover', I heard that this was the quote on quote, female version. whoever told me this was wrong. I don't give a f**k who says its a good movie, but it's perpetual and annoying nauseating and with the exception of a few scenes with Melissa McCarthy, unfunny. I hate Kristen Wiig. She is just the most irritating comedian to watch; no offense to her, but she's intolerable to speak to. And I thought watching her in 'Knocked Up' was bad enough. Expand
  33. Sep 25, 2013
    Bridesmaids will get in your head with its raunchy feel and shocking scenes, but its not as appealing as some say. It turns from comedy to drama, and then more comedy. The direction it goes is as predictable as a hyper kid with a sugar rush.
  34. Feb 22, 2014
    Bridesmaids has all the right comedians, playing various different parts. Bridesmaids is a luscious, fresh and endlessly entertaining film. Bridesmaids is simply gut-bustingly hilarious.
  35. Jan 22, 2014
    The stupidest movie ever! I watched it because of Melissa McCartney but even she looks horrible and her character is flat and stupid nobody, NOT a role for this talented actress! You can guess the end of the storey from the beginning. The dialogues are soooo primitive. Not funny at all! What a shame!
  36. Jan 30, 2014
    How on earth did this movie earn itself a BAFTA, an Oscar and a WGA nomination for best original screenplay!? "Bridesmaids" is a lot of things but definitely not original. Or do all those other 2000 romantic comedies with the same plot exist only in my mind? I don't think so. "Bridesmaids" is a failure, a cliche movie for women, just like all those Chuck Norris movies are cliche movies for men.
  37. Mar 2, 2014
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss werk it **** **** **** **** I **** love this ****in' movie. It was so **** **** funny. **** ain't **** ****
  38. Sep 12, 2014
    people say that any movie is the best of the year well bridesmaids is the best comedy of the year 2011. Kristen Wiig co wrote the script to bridesmaid let me just say that thanks to Wiig and Annie Mumolo , Judd Apatow and Paul Peig ,Bridesmaids is Outrageous , funny , awesome , kick ass , amazing comedy adventure story also Bridesmaids got nominated for Oscars Thanks Judd Apatow , Wiig ,people say that any movie is the best of the year well bridesmaids is the best comedy of the year 2011. Kristen Wiig co wrote the script to bridesmaid let me just say that thanks to Wiig and Annie Mumolo , Judd Apatow and Paul Peig ,Bridesmaids is Outrageous , funny , awesome , kick ass , amazing comedy adventure story also Bridesmaids got nominated for Oscars Thanks Judd Apatow , Wiig , Feig , Mumolo for giving us bridesmaids a film we will never forget. there is the bad news i think that Paul feig wanted it to be a Judd Apatow comedy not a Feig comedy ( That what a film needs a directors vision) thats dumb. But It did make critics enjoy the movie more !. Judd Apatow is amazing comedy director , producer, writer when it comes to (Knocked Up , funny people , this is 40 ) i did like his movies but he is cocky sometimes even though if produces a comedy people think he's the one who created it and not taking the real director credit . This is an amazing movie thanks to Apatow his next producing film is the five year Engagement. Grade A+ Expand

1. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Jun 20, 2011
    Finally, a female ensemble comedy that balances realistic characters with smart laughs and side-splitting farce. Not everything works, but there's more than enough here to keep you chuckling - not to mention baying for a sequel.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 16, 2011
    It's essentially a skit idea, not a dramatic idea, and the best the movie does with it is to repeat it. What saves Bridesmaids is Feig's love of performers - in particular, his love of actresses.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 13, 2011
    So what is Bridesmaids? A boozy wedding comedy? A touching character story? A paean to friendship? At turns, it's each -- making it a wedding movie with a commitment problem and giving Feig's scattered film a rudderless quality between the laugh lines.