7.2

1. Oct 19, 2014
    It is astonishing to think that this piece of shallow silliness got two Oscar nominations. However, it works very well as an indicator of the sorry state of contemporary society. The story revolves around Annie Walker, a most annoying woman who would be a perfect character for a cheap sitcom.

Annie alleged best friend Lillian is getting married and that horrendously stressing event that
    is an American wedding must be organized. Countless chick flicks have been there, only to underline how the true meaning of getting married and any shred of happiness are lost in the process of having so much “organized” fun.

Produced by Apatow and co-written by Kristen Wiig, who is also starring – and appearing in every scene - as main character Annie Walker. If you know a bit about movies, this can explain why it is so bad. Apatow is the king of crass, vulgar, unfunny comedies. Wiig wanted to make clear she is the star. Unfortunately, like most female comedians, she seems to think that the only way to make women “funny” is to degrade them. Surely they get plenty of humiliations in this movie, but this does not make the movie funny in any way.
  2. Sep 12, 2014
    people say that any movie is the best of the year well bridesmaids is the best comedy of the year 2011. Kristen Wiig co wrote the script to bridesmaid let me just say that thanks to Wiig and Annie Mumolo , Judd Apatow and Paul Peig ,Bridesmaids is Outrageous , funny , awesome , kick ass , amazing comedy adventure story also Bridesmaids got nominated for Oscars Thanks Judd Apatow , Wiig , Feig , Mumolo for giving us bridesmaids a film we will never forget. there is the bad news i think that Paul feig wanted it to be a Judd Apatow comedy not a Feig comedy ( That what a film needs a directors vision) thats dumb. But It did make critics enjoy the movie more !. Judd Apatow is amazing comedy director , producer, writer when it comes to (Knocked Up , funny people , this is 40 ) i did like his movies but he is cocky sometimes even though if produces a comedy people think he's the one who created it and not taking the real director credit . This is an amazing movie thanks to Apatow his next producing film is the five year Engagement. Grade A+ Expand
  3. Aug 25, 2014
    I'm not sure that Bridesmaids was meant to become a great American comedy, but it has gone on to greater lengths and is sure to become classic. This group of women are able to grab hold of you immediately and entertain you to no end. Kristen Wiig proves to be not only a hysterical on-screen comedienne but also a gifted comedic writer.
  4. Jul 2, 2014
    Any film in which the crowning moment is a fat woman having diarrhoea in a kitchen sink is a movie not worth watching. Which is too bad, because Rudolph and Wiig are two very funny comedic actresses, and it's such a waste to see them fooling around this juvenile nonsense.
  5. May 25, 2014
    Bridesmaids is a good chick flick that guys can find watchable and like. The plot may be pointless and washed out the film plays to its strong points. The great dialog and how the main cast plays off each other also all the funny scenarios the women find themselves in. The whole cast was great Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper but id have to say that Melissa McCarthy was absolutely the funniest and it was her breakout role i loved Kristen Wiig she has great comedic talent. The film did have more drama then i was expecting but it played well with the comedy so that was good. The movie was geting a lot of love when it first came out and was clearly a hit because then we got rip off movies about the same thing *cough cough Bachelorette cough*

Overall i give it a 6.5
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss werk it **** **** **** **** I **** love this ****in' movie. It was so **** **** funny. **** ain't **** ****
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    Bridesmaids has all the right comedians, playing various different parts. Bridesmaids is a luscious, fresh and endlessly entertaining film. Bridesmaids is simply gut-bustingly hilarious.
  8. Jan 30, 2014
    How on earth did this movie earn itself a BAFTA, an Oscar and a WGA nomination for best original screenplay!? "Bridesmaids" is a lot of things but definitely not original. Or do all those other 2000 romantic comedies with the same plot exist only in my mind? I don't think so. "Bridesmaids" is a failure, a cliche movie for women, just like all those Chuck Norris movies are cliche movies for men.
  9. Jan 22, 2014
    The stupidest movie ever! I watched it because of Melissa McCartney but even she looks horrible and her character is flat and stupid nobody, NOT a role for this talented actress! You can guess the end of the storey from the beginning. The dialogues are soooo primitive. Not funny at all! What a shame!
  10. Nov 30, 2013
    its way too long and predictable.Here and there some good jokes but its not enough for justify the garbage they feed at .Bunch of clumsy women trying so hard to make jokes but in the end i felt pity for writers and the actresses
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    Bridesmaids will get in your head with its raunchy feel and shocking scenes, but its not as appealing as some say. It turns from comedy to drama, and then more comedy. The direction it goes is as predictable as a hyper kid with a sugar rush.
  12. Aug 18, 2013
    As producer Judd Apatow has said, Bridesmaids doesn't really break any new ground, a popular and crowd-pleasing genre in the form of weddings, but the difference here is the believability of it all, the crudeness, ridiculousness and competition, how one girl getting married affects her best friend, who struggles with what she perceives to be a mediocre life compared to her lucky friend. Kristen Wiig writes and stars in this witty comedy as Annie, a former bakery owner who soldiers on in a jewellery store she doesn't enjoy and an apartment she shares with two eccentric individuals.
    Her friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph) is the lucky bride to be, the two have known each other for a very long time, but weighing in on the friendship is the rich and beautiful Helen (Rose Byrne), who attempts to take control of proceedings away from Annie, besting her at every turn with her fortune and looks, while Annie struggles with her own life financially as the bridesmaids begin to suit up for the wedding. We are also introduced to a kind-hearted policeman called Rhodes (Chris O'Dowd) who remembers Annie from the bakery she use to own, and he begins attempting to turn her back to baking again.
    But one cannot write a Bridesmaids review without mentioning Melissa McCarthy, who undoubtedly delivers some of the crudest but funniest parts of the film, her confidence, unwomanly attitude yet surprising occupation complete a very interesting and comical character. She isn't put into the stereotypical "large woman" woman role where the rest of the cast pokes fun, but her personal quips about herself will have you laughing and repeating them after the film ends. Several moments throughout the film stand out, but a particular dress fitting that ends rather differently than usual is one of the shining moments of the film, but what we also get is memorable characters, ones who may not appear onscreen as much as others but still have plenty of tricks up their sleeves, a character-driven comedy is hard to see in the current age of slapstick and sight gags, but we see relationships break and remake throughout the film. It has a fun time but also gives us a message of sticking to it no matter what might happen.
    There is plenty to like about Bridesmaids, it has a witty and realistic setting of a script and gives the women a chance to have their own party, and what a party it turns out to be.
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    I usually don’t like critiquing comedies, because the trend for them has been to forsake story and character development for snappy one-liners and cheap gags. Bridesmaids is the odd one out. Not only is it a female-centered comedy, it is an AMAZING female-centered comedy, and definitely the best comedy of 2011.
    Director Paul Feig gives the film unprecedented heart, and Kristen Wiig plays the role of a downward spiraling, paranoid maid of honor perfectly.
    Just because it is a female comedy doesn’t mean Bridesmaids can’t be raunchy and explicit. And Feig makes this very clear. From Melissa McCarthy’s painful outbursts of explosive diarrhea to Wiig’s psychotic breakdown at the bachelorette party, Feig proves that women can be just as vulgar as men in comedy. Basically, think of Bridesmaids as the female counterpart of The Hangover.
    Wiig’s character is also one of the best female characters of the year. From the airplane scene, to the fitting scene, to the bachelorette party, down to her personal life, Wiig plays a well rounded, three-dimensional character whose perspective allows the comedy to reach its full potential.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Bridesmaids approaches the genre of raunchy physical comedy the way its ladies should approach anything; intelligently, meaningfully, and full of hilarious surprises.

FINAL SCORE: 80 (excitingly great)
  14. Apr 13, 2013
    I was expecting a mushy rom-com but this film wasn't like that at all. Wasn't massively funny, and the humour was something you'd expect from a film aimed at a male audience; ie. throwing up and cringe-worthy speeches, etc. I also found the main character quite unlikeable. I didn't have any sympathy for her as all the bad things happening to her were mostly her fault. The cop was the only character I felt myself warming to. A bit "meh" Expand
  15. Mar 25, 2013
    Best comedy I've seen in a long time. Great story, funny scenes, and characters I actually cared about. I love how this movie went the route of having a flawed main character who grows to be a better person. I'd recommend this for anyone.
  16. Feb 23, 2013
    Ever since this movie came out, I've heard great things about it, still, I was hesitant to see it. I mean bridesmaids, a wedding, I just wasn't sure. It was however produced by Judd Apatow, and that alone made me give it a chance. Basically, Bridesmaids is a girls version of The Hangover meets Knocked Up, with an almost trip to Vegas and without the hangover. Kristen Wiig is the writer and star of this film and she was great! I'd never even heard of her before this film came out, but after seeing it, I want a lot more. It seems pretty hard for a woman to make it in comedy, it's a fairly rare event, but she's got a tremendous future ahead of her. As for the story it's pretty solid, it's a comedy, so you're not really looking for realism, just something cohesive that you can follow and this definitely fits the bill. If you're looking for something funny, but different, I'd highly recommend this film. Expand
  17. Feb 18, 2013
    Before seeing Bridesmaids, I genuinely thought it was just a female Hangover rip-off. Maybe that was the marketing or maybe I was being lazy. Having seen the film, the truth lies somewhere between the two. Yes, its about chaotic pre-wedding festivities, the gang intend to go to Vegas and yes, there are some moments of hilarious toilet humour, but that's about it. Melissa McCarthy steals most scenes she is in with her brazen vulgarity, a supporting role for which she was Oscar nominated. Prior to his appearance in Lena Durham's Girls (also produced by Apatow), Chris O'Dowd appears as a traffic officer and Matt Lucas has a cameo as Annie's landlord. After reading that Rose Byrne and Wiig ad-libbed most of the speech scene, Byrne's stock has increased in my eyes, as I would never have thought her capable of a comedy role. What sets Bridesmaids apart is that as well being hilarious, it's script has heart, and genuine heart, not the over the top contrived heart usually found at the end of most comedies. Over everything else, Bridesmaids is a showcase for Kristen Wiig's sharp co-written script and funny portrayal as the flawed and troubled maid of honour. Her inclusion in the upcoming Anchorman sequel is surely down to the success of Bridesmaids.

I would even go as far as that the girls have outdone the boys and produced a comedy better than its closest sibling, The Hangover.
  18. Feb 14, 2013
    Hilarious! The humour in this film is so varied, it varies from subtle dry humour to crudeness. Admittedly some of it is cringey but this is overlooked by the pure wit and amazing comedy acting from some of the funniest comedy actresses you will see. Definitely a girls film but enjoyable for guys as well, every girl will understand and relate to this film! A must see for a feel good movie!
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    This is one very funny movie thanks to a great mostly female cast. Kristin Wiig leads and, as always, she is just hilarious and carries the film on her shoulders. Props must be given, however, to Melissa McCarthy who easily provides a large amount of the laughs despite only having a supporting role. It's also a great concept of probably a tale that is all too common when it comes to bridesmaids. Overall a very funny film that has been compared to 'The Hangover', but with girls ;) Expand
  20. Jan 18, 2013
    Clever, funny, and well acted. The ladies of this movie have a knack for comedic timing and deliver great performances. It is a sincere outrageous movie that never feels dull.
  21. Dec 21, 2012
    I can't believe this movie. It does have laugh out loud moments. Overall, at the end of it, I felt cheated. It's a mediocre movie that can't be too horrible, but my God, it's seriously one of the films that will be quoted by teenage girls for years. I am 16 years old, and although I do have to say, I enjoyed a couple of scenes, in the end it felt like the whole movie was unecessary.
  22. Dec 9, 2012
    It would be foolhardy to dismiss this film as just a chick flick, especially if you've got a dark sense of humor. The story is touching but never sentimental, the characters are all hilarious and it grips you from start to finish. It somehow manages to nail that balance between being a film that doesn't stake itself seriously but somehow makes you feel a genuine connection to the characters and to the subject matter. A feel good film that's completely honest and non precious. It's brilliant to see realistic, diverse female characters in a film behaving like most females do and not like your usual superficial Hollywood mannequins. A perfect film in every way and easily one of the funniest ever made. Don't watch it with your mum or your nan though Expand
  23. Dec 7, 2012
    Seriously a great film, and sure to be a classic in time! Smart, quirky, memorable, and hilarious! Kristen Wiig is great, as is the entire cast, but Melissa McCarthy gives a star-making performance.
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    It goes a little overboard on a few occasions, particularly the extended dress shop barfing scene, but hey, it's got soul, and Melissa McCarthy is fantastic.
  25. Sep 2, 2012
    This was terrible. I might have given it a marginally higher score but I couldn't finish it; therefore, it receives a 0. The vomit and diarrhea scene was so shockingly not funny that nothing else would redeem this cinematic catastrophe. I'm shocked this movie was reviewed as well as it was. I've heard from many friends who said it was funny. However, I find it rather telling that the friend who insisted I watch it with her was far less amused the second time she watched it. Then again, perhaps it was the look of repulsed horror on my face that changed her mind. I watched the movie up to the point where the vile females vomit on each other, another purges her bowels in the sink, and the bride-to-be squats in the street to release her bowels while wearing a wedding dress. The only memorable parts of this travesty that I'm unable to forget are colored with vulgarity and long embarrassing jokes that are simply uncomfortable to watch.
    This film does do an excellent job of painting women as spiteful, petty, helpless, vulgar, and foul. Perhaps somebody finds that funny but I'm simply appalled. To add insult to injury, I'm quite confident I can predict the ending so I'm glad I don't need to watch the rest of it.
  26. Aug 20, 2012
    Comedy is so hard to pull off...and this one plays so many notes so well; maybe it hits my feminine taste, but I just found it fun, charming and pretty close to real. That's what it was ...so close to real, but with one fine and witty twist after another. Well done!
  27. Aug 10, 2012
    Kristen Wiig delivers a break-out performance from a raunchy, hilarious script she co-wrote. The film is nothing short of genius, with hilarious turns by all of the supporting players (especially Melissa McCarthy) as it wasn't at all a shock to see this film receive awards season attention a year ago.
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    Bridesmaids is cringe-worthy funny but it is nowhere near the levels of comedic worth that I have come to expect of Apatow-produced films. Melissa McCarthy is very funny, as is Jon Hamm's small role but all in all it is not enough to rate this film extremely highly. Still, it is definitely worth a view or two and will liven up a quiet night in for sure.
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    All I have heard is about how this movie is hilarious and better than most of the comedies that have been released in the last 5 years. So I finally watch it today and I have to say I was fooled. If the people who made the movie were going for a drama with a splash of comedy they succeeded but all guides say it's a comedy. If I would have missed all of the hype and just watched it as a regular movie I probably would've enjoyed it more but I was disappointed over all. Expand
  30. Jun 6, 2012
    A Really Good Funny Ass Movie!
  31. May 12, 2012
    I am amazed by the reception of this film and saddened by the comparisons to "The Hangover", an actually funny movie, with a plot and a great script. This has neither. It is just terrible. The fact that it got an Oscar nomination is just an indication of how low public taste has sunk. It is as though Aptow took "My best friend's wedding" dumbed it down and had a mentally challenged High Schooler write the script. I am writing this in reaction to the reviews I saw here. However, I wrote a small review when I first saw it expressing my immediate reaction: Wow..I don't know what to say, that may have been one of the worst movies ever; not funny, not charming, not good. While it is true that I like bad movies, this is just bad/bad. A great bad movie is bad/funny or bad/cheesy or bad/stupid; this wasn't any of those things, it was just dull. Dull, dull, dull. The story - lame, the acting - flat, the dialog - unsparkling, the jokes - unfunny. This movie had some pretty solid performers, but it sucked any remnant of talent from all of them. Even the title is misleading, this was not an ensemble piece, it was all about one character played by Kristen Wiig who also wrote the movie. From this outing my perception is that she sucks. The dialog lacked wit, and the performance lacked charm. You don't care about her sad life or her stupid behavior; you just wish it would end, sooner rather than later. Two hours of my life I can never get back. For Review of better movies go to: http://badmovielover.blogspot.com Expand
  32. Apr 7, 2012
    Okey, so apparently this is a comedy! Did it made me laugh? Yes, it did, just a few times. I am not denying the fact that many people can love it. It is just not what I expect a good comedy to be. To me, it is not good, smart humour. Some may claim that this is one of those comedies that are there to relax you, and do not attempt to make you think. Sure! But even when I relax (and I am veeeery relaxed person), I want to think, feel, and enjoy what I see. Because it is thinking what actually make me establish a judgement about the quality -or lack of it- of a film. Therefore, something that I believe is plain silly just doesn't make me laugh for if I want to see stupidity, I don't need to spend my money on it, I can just turn the tv on or surf the net and I will surely find plenty of vulgarity and idiocy. Bridesmaids was cheap and mediocre. The ending of this movie (actually, after the credits) was in my opinion, completely unnecessary and obnoxious. Unlike what many may assume, I am not a religious person at all, neither I am hypersensible, or conservative...quite the opposite; I am actually very liberal, analytical, and carefree; but to me, the overexposure of sex , makes me think about those who are not free about it, otherwise why sooo much focus on it? I enjoy it in my private life, and of course I can freely discuss sex with my friends and acquantainces; I can also watch and enjoy erotic scenes on tv within the right context' but here it was totally out of place. This movie was not hideous, but was at times gruesome, and it was also unengaging. In fact, the leading characters were annoying, miserable, insecure, ridiculous, and so pathetic that I am glad no one I know is like them...and I couldn't be around those sort of women either. Those characters do not make me laugh but they bore me. Unfortunately, there was not a single character in this movie who had some brains!. The comedies I enjoy are so different! My favourite comedy ever is perhaps The Full Monty, there are other more recent and of course not as original comedies, less subtle and light, and yet fun and not gross; The Hangover, for example is refreshing, definitely a thousand times better than Bridesmaid! Thus, I do not recommend this movie, especially if you have a more delicate taste. Expand
  33. Apr 3, 2012
    Was Bridesmaids suppose to be a comedy because it certainly didn't come across that way. Apatow has created some very funny films but this one is just bad. It is sad when there are Adam Sandler films that are funnier than this.
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    It's not funny. The acting isn't very good. The main character Annie and her friend (can't even remember her name, played by Maya Rudolph) are annoying. We're meant to feel sympathetic towards Annie when really she's an incredibly selfish destructive person. The "antagonist", if you can call her that pretty much just stands back and just lets Annie ruin herself and her friends' lives. And then when she comes to Annie in a time of weakness Annie treats her like **** and acts like It's her that was wrong. Expand
  35. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the best movies ever, is really funny, yes more tha the boring Paul, Bridesmaids is a new classic of the comedy, with funny situations, great performance. Bridesmaids rocks.
  36. Jan 31, 2012
    As raunchy as any female flick could bear, BRIDESMAIDS is not just a female version of THE HANGOVER spin-off. It hinges firmly on a 3S ladyâ
  37. Jan 27, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. It was raunchy but not too raunchy. It was simultaneously hysterical and heartwarming. I think that I have a new comedy to throw in my rotation of rewatchable comedies.
  38. Jan 19, 2012
    Great movie. Though it seems like comedies are starting to follow the same formula nowadays, this one shines above the rest. This was the funniest movie in 2011.
  39. Jan 13, 2012
    The Best R-Rated female comedy film that I;ve watched...It is so funny and real. The main cast deliver the character with effortless. The movie is so funny,sweet,emotional and smart that all ages will be like it and especially the male viewers will also love it.
  40. Dec 30, 2011
    This movie turns out to be one of the years greatest surprises. This is not just about the script and delivery that makes you laugh but it can as well offer a good emotional transference to it's viewers. If my girl friends will see this... they might just keep a tissue on their hands--tears for the laughs and hurts. movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  41. Dec 28, 2011
    Bridesmaids seems to have been dubbed "The Hangover for girls" by just about everyone. It really isn't. The Hangover can only dream of being this funny, well-written and honest. The film gets the balance of comedy just right - the jokes are dirty but never tasteless, it's sweary but rarely excessive, and you can never go wrong with a good old-fashioned bit of slapstick. The overall quality of Bridesmaids can be almost entirely credited to Kristen Wiig. As well as playing the lead, Annie (a well-developed and rounded character, and a compellingly relatable protagonist), she co-wrote the film, and was one of the main driving forces behind its development. Wiig proves she is a great comic and dramatic talent, and the rest of the cast all add something to the film - Rose Byrne's Helen is the perfect rich **** Chris O'Dowd's good-natured and by-the book Officer Rhodes makes a great love interest for Annie, and Melissa McCarthy provides a good proportion of the chuckles as the borderline-psychotic, sex-crazed sister of the groom, Megan. The laughs are plentiful throughout, but the best scenes by far are those where Annie and Helen try and compete for the Bride's (Maya Rudolph) affections (though the scene where the bridesmaids get food poisoning while trying on dresses and where Annie exchanges progressively more brutal insults with a pre-teen girl aren't far behind). Bridesmaids isn't just worth a watch because of the novelty of an almost entirely female-driven comedy film. It's a great film, end-of. It's got some brilliant performances, drama and truckloads of great gags. It's the funniest film of the year by a long way, and if we see more like this in the near future, then I'll be very happy, and crying with laughter for a good while. Expand
  42. Dec 28, 2011
    I finally took time out to see Bridesmaids, and plain and simple: It wasn't worth it. This is commonly cited as the female version of the Hangover, and I can see why; Its loud, raunchy and most of all it's Overrated. The movie is sluggish and filled to the brim with simple minded, toilet humor. It has some laughs here and there but overall the humor was forced (eg. the food poisoning scene). Story-wise, the movie may have been fine, but this was overshadowed by all the mess. It is also bizarre that Mellisa McCarthy is getting this much attention, for a substandard, useless performance. Expand
  43. Dec 16, 2011
    I hope this movie is a glimpse of Kristen Wiigâ
  44. Dec 13, 2011
    If you're looking for a comedy that will make you cry laughing, run to the theaters and see this now. "Bridesmaids" is hysterically funny from beginning to end. Better yet, it doesn't just rely on gross out gags for entertainment. Screenwriters Kristen Wiig (who also stars) and Annie Mumolo also manage to create complex characters, and they provide fresh insight into the meaning of friendship and true love. I especially loved the development of Melissa McCarthy's character. Here's a character that could have been the stereotypical fat girl, but instead she's treated as a real person, and ends up being one of the emotional anchors of the film. A lot of people have been calling this the female Hangover, and I don't really see much of a comparison. The stories are completely different. Yes, they both center around wedding parties, but "The Hangover" was much more of an ensemble piece while this one centers around Kristen Wiig's character trying to find herself. There are a few moments where "Bridesmaids" tries in vain to keep you laughing, but for the most part, it is one hilarious ride filled with gags that everyone can relate to. Guys, this is not a chick flick for only females. You will laugh just as much here as you did in "The Hangover," if not more. This is a comedy that everyone should enjoy. Expand
  45. Dec 11, 2011
    Funny, sweet and relate-able. Bridesmaids is the type of "good" comedy that rarely comes around every so often. It also sports a kick-ass performance by not only the whole cast but Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy in particular. 4/4 stars
  46. Nov 20, 2011
    When it had been dubbed the female version of The Hangover, I was eager to check it out. Unfortunately it doesn't quite live up to The Hangover's standards. It took a while to get going but it did have some memorable lines and funny scenes and Kristen Wiig puts in a great performance as Annie.
    It was a bit of a lacklustre ending but the film is certainly worth a watch.
  47. Nov 13, 2011
    Beautiful and funny story of friendship ... I laughed a lot, mmmmm I have nothing more to say that Melissa McCarthy was incredible as the rest of the cast ... recommended
  48. Nov 10, 2011
    This movie is crap, figuratively and literally. It's a sad example of how low people's idea of humour has plummeted. And a quite shocking display of bad taste by the metacritics.
  49. Nov 5, 2011
    One would think it's kind of "The Hangover" with women - and it kind of is. "Bridesmaids" is extremely entertaining; there is never a dull moment in the film. The story of bridesmaids trying to have fun and organise a great wedding for their friend is, actually, overshadowed by the personal troubles of the lead character, Annie. And while rather depressing at times with her issues, the film is written rather cleverly making it seem as if everything will be alright in the end. After all, it is a comedy, so one expects from the beginning to get a happy ending (of some sort). Kristen Wiig, whom I've never seen before on screen, was simply amazing as Annie - very naturally acted role, convincing and highly entertaining. The other performances are generally pretty decent. The film does, however, have a number of clichés in it and it is certainly no Oscar-worthy material, but it is entertaining, funny, charming and keeps you engaged. It is everything a comedy of this type should be! Good film! Expand
  50. Nov 3, 2011
    It had some really funny moments but I'm not one who finds dick and fart jokes funny. It felt like a female response to the god awful The Hangover, but was much better than that creepy trash. If this is the beginning of Wiig's film career, I look forward to seeing her grow. If she grows. 5 Grouse points for including fellow countryman Rebel Wilson.
  51. Nov 3, 2011
    It's funny. It really is. There are a few slow points in the movie, but nothing that should keep it from getting below a "C". Annie is the main star, played by Kristen Wiig. The best scenes are worth the wait. The dress fitting, the luncheon, and the airplane scene are well worth the wait. It's a cute movie, with lots of laughs and has heart when she finally finds a guy who is nice to her. It is the guy version of the Hangover, but don't expect ridiculous proportions. Cute movie, and perfect for a Girl's night in. I'm 15, and I found this to be so funny. Don't pay attention to the "R" sign, at this age, we see sex all the time. Sometimes they say **** a lot but it's for comedic effect. Expand
  52. Oct 13, 2011
    Nailed it! This film is incredibly funny. The cast is as strong as ever, perhaps more stronger than The Hangover cast? Though the comparison is unfair, one cannot help but consider this film a companion piece to The Hangover. Melissa McCarthy's character steals the show, much like Galifianakis did with his role. Wiig is superb and she cracked me up in nearly every scene. She is the awkward character that most of us can relate to here, and she displays this role with such hilarious realism. However, though I have enjoyed Rudolph's work in the past with SNL, she just seems so fake and unrealistic in her film roles. Regardless, her performance does little damage to the overall film, which is a non-stop comedic masterpiece. Expand
  53. Oct 9, 2011
    Such a disappointment! The sisters were supposed to give us something hilarious to admire. A string of lame SNL skits with uninspired writing masked with sight gags. I suppose "awkward" is the new funny.
  54. Oct 7, 2011
    WOW, I can't believe this movie has high ratings. This is one of the worst movies I have seen lately especially as its labelled comedy but comes nothing close to it. Was this movie even suppose to be funny, I thought I was watching a morning drama?
  55. Sep 29, 2011
    This IS the most disappointing movie I have seen this year. I saw the high ratings on IMDb, and even great ratings on otherwise unforgiving meta-critics so i gave it a shot. What a mistake. Movie is mildly saying...catastrophic. The humor, the plot, the lines...its like its been made by 10 year old girl. I really cant believe that people found this movie hilarious or funny. It starts a bit promising but i was
    preparing myself for awesomeness that has been promised from various
    reviews, and i waited and waited....but nothing happened. The acting
    itself is not that bad, but the plot, cliché dialogs, and dullness was
    killing my brain cells. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

p.s. So disappointed with metacritic reviewers and critics :(
  56. Sep 26, 2011
    I surprisingly liked "Bridesmaids". Its more funnier than "The Hangover", and more girlish then "Sex and the City". Possibly one of the best winning comedies of the year.
  57. Sep 25, 2011
    I really looked forward to this movie, as I thought it looked hilarious in the trailers, and I like many of the actresses in it, but it was nothing like what I expected. It had the opportunity to be really funny, but instead went from funny to sad to pathetic. My wife and I ended up turning it off.
  58. Sep 25, 2011
    It is really the best Apatow film so far !Bridesmaids is truly amazing and so funny ! Its not just like other Wedding/Bridesmaid type of film ! It was written very well . As fo the "Bridesmaids" all of them were awesome ! Melissa McCarthy really did an amazing work ! Maya was also good as the bride ! Rose was like a Beautiful Barbie (I really do like her a lot) ! and last Wiig did an awesome job playing the lead role both acting and writing .She really is a good actress . Expand
  59. Sep 24, 2011
    This movie is terrible. The critics thought it was good?! YUCKO- forgive my sophmoric adjective- in line with the movie i would say! The only bright spot was Annie's policeman friend. And Melissa McCarthy is funny and does best she can with semi crappy lines. Don't bother
  60. Sep 23, 2011
    Well ladies welcome to the world of "women can be a much a pig as a man can." It seems the entire point of this film was to illustrate to the world that women can be as digusting as their counterparts are espoused to be. Quite an achievement. I couldn't wait for this piece of garbage to be over. There wasn't a single performance in this piece worth remembering. The script wasn't focused. The characters were caricatures. It seems the public will laugh at anything now. I'm surprised one of these broads [cause not a single one of them deserves to be called a "lady" or a "woman"] didn't whip out a used tampon to illustrate a point. Sad and pathetic. Expand
  61. Sep 23, 2011
    Kirsten Wiig is hilarious in this version of Hangover where girls go to the extreme. A sequence of funny (and difficult to forget) moments make up one of the funniest films of the year. Go girls!
  62. Sep 22, 2011
    What a letdown. I heard so many good things about this movie and couldn't wait for it's release on dvd. My wife and I watched ot last night and both of us came away feeling we had not only wasted $4 but more importantly nearly 2 hours of our lives. You can't get that back. So take my advice and do something more important for 2 hours. Scrub your bathroom, mow the lawn, clean out the garage, take the dog on a walk, take a nap, have your teeth cleaned at the dentist, go see some other movie. Doing just about anything for 2 hours instead of watching this garbage will leave you feeling much better about yourself. Expand
  63. Sep 16, 2011
    Funniest comedy of 2011, hands down! Great direction, writing, and a stellar cast that had me on the floor ROLLING! Brought to us by comedic geniuses Judd Apatow and Paul Feig, wouldn't expect anything less.
  64. Sep 12, 2011
    See-it - Kristen Wiig is officially the next big thing in comedy, and proves it in her leading role as a maid of honor in this R-rated, female-driven, Judd Apatow comedy.
  65. Sep 9, 2011
    I'm perplexed - how can a film that is supposed to be one of the funniest movies of the year, be so bad and unfunny? To say it's in the same league as Hangover is bizarre - absolutely no comparison. What a complete waste of time.
  66. Sep 8, 2011
    Waste of time. Better off watching Bad Teacher even though that was a disappointment too, or you could watch paint dry, there's always that. My expectations were average didn't expect much, but even then expecting it to be average was too high. Stupid humor. Stupid story. The only thing good about this movie is Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy and Chris O'Dowd. And even then, Melissa's character is horrible and annoying, she is so much better in Mike & Molly. The only scenes I could actually slightly enjoying and pay attention to without annoyance and disappointment were the scenes with O'Dowd Expand
  67. Sep 5, 2011
    Although it doesn't add anything new to the genre, Bridesmaids is funny, entertaining and well acted. Our protagonist, Annie, an ex baker who resides in Milwaukee, had lost her savings. Her love life isnâ
  68. Sep 5, 2011
    Definitely a hilarious movie. Haven't laughed out loud that much for years. I've heard much of Kristen Wiig, but haven't watched SNL for years, so I didn't know how great she was. If only more romantic comedies were like this, and not insipid, the world would be a better place.
  69. Aug 9, 2011
    This is easily the best comedy I've seen in ages. It's living proof you still can be genious grabbing some ordinary jokes and thoughts if gotten together with genuinely hilarious dialogues, while endowing an emotional core. I haven't been more that 3 min without laughing or grinning while seeing this. And I've always flinched before going to the cinema to see comedy films.
  70. Aug 8, 2011
    I even found the movie funny in some scenes, like the one of the dressing-room, which was hilarious. But I still donâ
  71. Aug 8, 2011
    Loved it. Went with a group of 4 and we were all crying we were laughing so hard. The friendship between Wiig and Rudolph feels real, so unlike a lot of other similar comedies, in this one it feels like there's something actually at stake. It's gross and painful and silly and definitely won't be for everyone. But OMG... if this is for you, it is so so much fun!
  72. Aug 8, 2011
    Last review of a triumvirate: I saw this, Change-Up, and Horrible Bosses all in one weekend. This was in the middle. It's a solid movie, definitely, with GREAT acting by Kristen Wiig, some great humor and surprises, and a good story arc. It's just a little too formulaic and predictable, but still very well acted with a good cast. Props to Melissa McCarthy for delivering a really well-acted character, too. Expand
  73. Jul 30, 2011
    I bought my ticket for "Bridesmaids" with one goal in mind - to laugh. I did. Out loud. Several times. So, mission accomplished. Then I noticed a generous helping of gravy. This movie was successful on several levels, but the one which provided me with the most pleasant surprise was the true-to-life characters and spot-on casting. The characters in "Bridesmaids" started off as, well, just that...characters. By the end of the movie, those same characters became real and more three dimensional. If Kristin Wiig was not spot-on perfect for the lead, Melissa McCarthey would have stole the show. Maya Rudolph was great as the bride - a good performance which supported the others in a subdued, bride-to-be way that let Wiig and McCarthey strut their stuff. 2011's not-so-chicky-chick-flick! Expand
  74. Jul 27, 2011
    Now I did enjoy this as I was dragged to the cinema with girlfriend but only compared to other films like this. Very unimagintive story wise in my eyes as it was so predictable. The larger of the bridesmaids was funny but the lead charecter the bride and the annoying I'm perfect girl was just too much and teh cop was just rubbish. Funny in parts but in general poor.
  75. Jul 26, 2011
    While the regular mainstream chick flick often comes across as forced pandering to womens interests and woes, Bridesmaids is a clever film with some genuine depth, and has believable characters and life learning situations. I found myself rooting for the lead character and her peril and later the supporting cast became equally significant. There are some VERY funny scenes that while pushing the line dont over step it, at least too far and become too vulgar or inappropriate. Bridesmaids was highly enjoyable and a great example to how romcoms can be both entertaining and genuine. Highly recommended. Expand
  76. Jul 23, 2011
    Bridesmaids is a good film. A Really Funny Movie And The Cast Was Very Good. My only problem with this film is that its kind of a girly film and men cant really relate to what they do. But overall a good film and i would give this film a low matinee!
  77. Jul 18, 2011
    Parts of this were hilarious. Especially the bit in the bridal shop and the airplane. But the rest of the movie seemed to be pretty weak, and the relationship between Wiig and the cop just seemed lame and contrived.
  78. Jul 18, 2011
    Produced by Judd Apatow the man behind films like Knocked Up and Pineapple Express, Bridesmaids is being called the female version of The Hangover, with one group walk in slow motion and the characters being a group of girls rather than group of guys there is nothing else in the movie that can be compared. Hilarious movie for both men and women I would recommend this to everyone, this is far from a chick flick. Expand
  79. Jul 17, 2011
    The movie is a laugh riot from start to finish, and all I can say is go see it, it is absolutely wonderful.

full review here:
  80. Jul 14, 2011
    Every scene too long, no character particularly sympathetic (certainly not the lead), very little to laugh at, and a thin, well, actually, no plot: I don't know how this film has garnered so much praise.
  81. Jul 10, 2011
    Had something going for it and i laughed at loud at a couple of scenes but it loses its way and becomes intensely boring with a school girl ending where everyone ends up friends. I got so bored i left about 10 minutes before the end....Nothing more to say.
  82. Jul 10, 2011
    Boasted by its bold director and lovable leading actresses, Bridesmaids singles itself out to be one of the finest, funniest, and clever rom-coms in recent years.
  83. Jul 9, 2011
    Here you have a breath of fresh air with comedy's in this generation. This film is non-stop funny.

Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are some noticeable stand-outs in this movie, however one thing that makes this movie so great is the strong ensemble talent. There are no weak leaks in this film! Every character has at least one or two memorable quotes, that you'll be repeating before
    you even leave the theater.

It's one thing for a comedy to make you laugh, but a comedy that really has you rooting for the characters is something special. You feel connected to Wiig's lead character, and truly feel sorry for her when things are down in the dumps. This is quality script writing.

There seems to be a fear that keeps some guys away from this movie, calling it a "chick-flick." Believe me, this movie is far from a chick-flick. There is something for anyone that simply wants to have an enjoyable time at the theater. You will laugh. That is for sure.

It's amazing to me that this film came out in the US in May, and is STILL going strong in theaters. That right there should be enough of a sign to go see this movie. I've seen it 4 times, and I can't wait to see it again.

84. Jul 8, 2011
    This was one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen. The funniest movie of 2011. It had me laughing from beginning to end. It seems like your typical comedy chick flick but it had me laughing harder then I've probably ever laughed. I can't seem to find any thing about this movies that I did not like. It is a must see.
  85. Jul 7, 2011
    This has to be one of the worst movies of the year that we have seen... full of potty-mouth humor(?), graphic scenes of people vomiting, showing extended and annoying sex scenes, children cursing their parents, etc. Did the director really conceive this was funny or did he just assume that there was a paying audience for this crap? We all know about what happens when you get food poisoning, how sex works, etc, but showing it in such graphic detail (like having a bowel movement in the street!!) just does nothing for us. Honestly, there may be one or two funny lines in the whole movie, but we did not wait to see what else may have been coming because we walked out after an hour (we should have left earlier). My rating: Disgusting! Expand
  86. Jul 4, 2011
    This movie is amazing. Although, I feel like the title is a bit of a misnomer and the movie is misadvertised, because I thought it was going to be about a group of bridesmaids going to a bachelorette party (more like the Hangover), but it's really just the story of Kristen Wiig's character, who happens to be the maid of honor. It's actually nothing like the Hangover at all, there's not even a bachelorette party in the movie. But, that's really what made the movie great, and unique. It's a bit ridiculous at times, and Kristen Wiig never strays far from her characters on SNL, but it's still really funny and greatly entertaining. I do have to say that if you do not like Kristen Wiig on SNL, you may not like this movie. There are so many funny parts that I can't remember them all, which makes me want to see the movie again. I will most likely buy this movie on DVD when it comes out. Expand
  87. Jun 26, 2011
    There seems to be a growing trend of great comedic scripts written by the great comedic actors who understand the language better than anyone. We've seen this in many Judd Apatow productions and so far, I believe, it's passed with flying colors. Bridesmaids is easily the funniest film of 2011 and I have a hard time believing anything else will come along to take that glory from it.
  88. Jun 26, 2011
    This is not the kind of comedy I usually go and see, but I enjoyed it. I was expecting something slicker and hackneyed, this has original characters and fresh, funny, unexpected moments interspised with the slapstick set-pieces.
  89. Jun 20, 2011
    I thought this movie was extremely funny. It was a little longer than needed. But it had some of the funniest stuff this year. The dress buying and the plane ride to be specific. I liked everybody in the film. I found a lot of it very believable.

Definitely one of the better comedies of late.
  90. Jun 19, 2011
    I liked this movie, I liked the ladies, and I liked the characters, too. I think everybody involved did a really neat job putting it together, getting everybody together to have fun. I don't think it's a great comedy, but it's a good one with some very funny moments in it, like the part where they're trying on dresses at a bridal shop, I won't go into details, but there are also moments that lose momentum and slow things down. It goes for two hours, which is long for this kind of movie, and there are a few parts that could've been left on the cutting-room floor, but it did well in keeping my attention, because I liked the characters and I cared what happened to them, despite my knowing a happy ending was well on the way. Kristen Wiig is a really lovely lead, and her script she co-wrote with Annie Mumulo was brilliantly written. Melissa McCarthy steals the show, she's hilarious, and her character, Megan, is a really honest one. I liked Chris O'Dowd as well, I thought he made a very charming and funny love interest. Another thing Kristen and Annie did well writing the movie was keeping all the bridesmaids involved in what's happening, I never felt I didn't see enough of certain characters. Expand
  91. Jun 17, 2011
    I laughed out loud many times during Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig was funny (and only occasionally slipped into SNL characters), and Rose Byrne and Jon Hamm show great comedy chops! And perhaps most importantly: there was actually a nice little story there! My only complaint is that because of the language and one bathroom scene, I can't recommend this film to my parents, but if you're college-age to about 50 or so, you'll probably enjoy it very much. Expand
  92. CBZ
    Jun 16, 2011
    Much better than the Hangover 2, it delivers a very complete package for all audiences.
    Its a chick flick opened for men too, this is not the Notebook.
  93. Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "You're putting the p**** on a pedestal," Jay complains to Andy Stitzer, the sexual naif in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin", the 2005 gross-out comedy that stole the genre's mantle away from the previously undisputed kings of good-natured sexism, Peter & Bobby Farrelly. It's Jay's opinion that Andy's apprehension towards women stems from his overvaluation of the vagina. The "p****", according to the video equipment salesman, is not some "great big goddess named "P***alia" whom you can never approach. He tells Andy to stop psyching himself out. When it comes to uneasiness concerning female genitalia, however, nobody can beat the Catholic church. As a matter of fact, both Jay and the Orthodox officials seem to believe that the female sex and the female sex organ are one and the same. At the outset of "The Magdalene Sisters"(or what I like to call, "The Song That Bono Forgot to Write"), a wedding is in progress, where Bernadette, through no fault of her own, gets raped by a first cousin, but be that as it may, ends up at an asylum for "fallen women", because in the church's eyes, a compromised vagina is a compromised vagina, regardless of how it ended up that way. Recalling the scene in "Porky's" where Pee-Wee and his friends turn the girls' shower room into a peepshow, "The Magdalene Sisters" too becomes a gross-out comedy, but this time nobody is laughing, as two nuns, acting more like adolescent boys than servants of the Lord, objectify and humiliate a lineup of buck-naked girls by comparing their breast sizes and pubic hair density in a contest. Furthermore, whereas the teacher howls like a wolfess when she has sex with a fellow colleague, the priest is "not a man of God", but a dog(a practitioner of "outercourse", as defined by the health clinic counselor in the Apatow film), who receives oral sex from a mentally-challenged girl. Catholicism keeps people(especially women) in bondage, just like the action figures Andy retains in their hermetically-sealed boxes. As chance would have it, the virgin's follicle-rich chest, metaphorically speaking, could be a hairshirt, sometimes called a cilice, made from goat's hair that sinners wore as penance for their transgressions. Jay, who complains to Moog, "Why are you always telling me to f*ck a goat?" can't watch the waxing, because down deep inside, he knows that the wrong man is being punished. Unlike the asylum priest, Andy doesn't practice even the most mildest form of outercourse. When the virgin receives a box of porn from David, he ends up watching "Everybody Loves Raymond". Not wanting to be obvious about the sexism(and running critique about said sexism) that subsists in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin", the filmmaker punishes the next best thing to a woman: an emasculated man, so it's Andy, who unfairly pays for the subjugation of women, a filmic chastening facilitated by a stealthy conservatism that belies the numerous references to extreme sex acts, among them, bestiality and anal intercourse. Encapsulated in his raw, bloody nipples is an auto-criticism of the film's sexual content. "Knocked Up", shares with its predecessor the same silent dialectic in which Catholic dogma gets masked by a seemingly nihilistic purview, save for the fact that Alison never considers abortion as a viable option to her, initially anyway, unwanted pregnancy. At least "Juno" goes through the motions of feminism when the pregnant teen visits a clinic before she has second thoughts about the procedure. Likewise, the fetus is a person to Ben. The expectant father worries that his penis will reach the unborn child during intercourse, therefore scarring the developing infant for life. In other words, "Knocked Up" endorses the belief that the fetus has a consciousness. "Bridesmaids", on the other hand, is free of the latent Catholicism abiding itself surreptitiously in the aforementioned films. It's no accident that Wilson Phillips makes a cameo late in this uber-chick flick, performing the soft-rock classic "Hold On" at Lilian's wedding. The early-nineties refugees give the women permission to behave badly without any patriarchal moralizing. They help their sisters "break free from the chains" of traditional religion by infusing the diegesis with paganism. Unlike Catholics, who believe that only humans have a soul, pagans practice animism, a conviction that everything has a spirit. Indeed, the pedigreed girls seem to be practicing animism in the music video for their 1990 smash, where they sit on rocks atop a mountain, surrounded by trees, not crosses. The great outdoors is their church. In "Bridesmaids", what do you know, they perform in the open air. So if Becca and Rita want to experiment with lesbianism, no robed man is going to judge them. The same goes for Annie, who has rigorous sex with a f*** buddy, and talks openly about oral sex with Lillian. As equal opportunity anarchists go, it's hard to beat this wedding party. Expand
  94. Jun 10, 2011
    Judging by the attendees at the theatre, approx 80% female, I figured this would be mostly chick flick. And while it had elements of that, its much broader in its appeal. A really funny movie that is well written, acted and paced. And it's the type of film that will be just as good at home as it is in the theatre. See it.
  95. Jun 10, 2011
    For me I have to get lost in a movie to really enjoy it. There were too many times in this movie that set off that little message in my head that said "this just wouldn't happen!" Lots of laughs and some great performances by character actors, but if I were the cop I'd have been running in the other direction. Sometimes less is more when you're going for the laughs. This was just a bit too much!
  96. Jun 9, 2011
    In all honesty, I was expecting a better movie, as Judd Apatow was involved. The movie does have an emotional core which redeems the proceedings somewhat and makes it better than The Hangover. However, this film more than any other shows that males and females have reached a dubious parity in low humour. I did laugh a lot especially in the early part of the film but less and less as the film progressed. Some gags went on painfully long and I was inwardly shouting, enough already, move on. To it's merit, this is a ladies film and I noted that the audience was 99.9% female at the showing that I saw. They laughed a lot and no doubt Bridemaids 2 is already in the works. I won't be there for #2 though as I saw enough of it in #1. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Jun 20, 2011
    Finally, a female ensemble comedy that balances realistic characters with smart laughs and side-splitting farce. Not everything works, but there's more than enough here to keep you chuckling - not to mention baying for a sequel.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 16, 2011
    It's essentially a skit idea, not a dramatic idea, and the best the movie does with it is to repeat it. What saves Bridesmaids is Feig's love of performers - in particular, his love of actresses.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 13, 2011
    So what is Bridesmaids? A boozy wedding comedy? A touching character story? A paean to friendship? At turns, it's each -- making it a wedding movie with a commitment problem and giving Feig's scattered film a rudderless quality between the laugh lines.