7.7

1. Nov 21, 2012
    The film adaptation of Bridget Jones's Diary is sweet, honest, hilarious and has a great British cast (and Renee Zellweger, whose accent is thankfully utterly convincing). Bridget Jones makes a compelling heroine who's a real joy to spend time with, and you're carried along nicely with the highs and lows (mostly lows) of her life as a thirty-something singleton looking to improve her life on romantic, professional and emotional terms. The film doesn't make any major changes to the classic rom-com formula, but when a film is this emotionally engaging, well-written (by Andrew Davies and Richard Curtis), confidently directed (by Sharon Maguire) and so ably performed by the cast, it doesn't really need to stand out much from the crowd. You might find yourself shifting a bit uncomfortably towards the end as Bridget, like many rom-com protagonists takes a painfully long time to make the right decision, but a rewarding side story exploring the strained relationship of Bridget's parents (Jim Broadbent and Gemma Jones) helps keep emotion levels high even if the main plot begins to tire. And Bridget really isn't fat, she's woman-shaped. Bridget Jones's Diary is still a great romantic comedy film that delivers everything it promises - laughter, tears and a comforting warm fuzzy feeling inside. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    It is fun, indeed! Unfortunatley, a comedy that is based in ordinary life, and ordinary issues has to be a bit more realistic. To me some of the situations are just ridiculous, you just can't believe them for they are very credible.Personally, I never managed to like Bridget...and I do like Darcy a bit...but almost all the characters are 'movie-like' stereotypical. Bridget's friends do not feel real either.. My favourite-and perhaps the only character I actually did like- character there was the one played by Hugh Grant; I believe because he was more 'human', he was real! The movie would have been much better if he and Bridget ended up together. Still, Bridget was such a mediocre, unattractive, frivolous, shallow, and uneducated girl! Thus, the 'love' between her and Darcy didn't make sense. In fact, the movie never actually shows why they fell in love with each other. Especially why Darcy falls for Bridget!. There were no bases for that. Summarizing, the movie is good for a laugh, but that's it. Would I watch it again? Yeah, indeed, I do watch it every two years. Expand
  3. Jul 10, 2014
    Bridget Jones's Diary: 4/10: There have been a great number of woman's films that have successfully crossed over to the mainstream. Sleepless in Seattle, Jerry Maguire and Aliens are three classic examples of "chick flicks" that men can watch with their ladies, enjoy the film, and still get credit for being a sensitive guy that likes what she likes.

Bridget Jones's Diary tries to come
    across as a frothy crossover comedy. You know one of those estrogen flicks that Hugh Grant now does since Tom Hanks was shipped off to make "important films". Diary however doesn't successfully crossover. It's a real chick flick through and through.

The thirty something equivalent of Sixteen Candles. In fact it seems to have basically the same plot and characters as that John Hughes eighties perennial. Instead of our sixteen-year-old ugly duckling we have a thirty two year old overweight alcoholic with virtually no social skills. And instead of one impossible cute and rich suitor we now have two impossible rich and handsome suitors that fight over our protagonist.

Now I have always felt Renee Zellweger was easy on the eyes and talented to boot. As for the extra weight she put on,(An act that the media with a straight face called "brave") well let's just say she wears it well. Her character however is such a horrible deceptive person that one really wonders why either man would want her for anything more than a quick shag.

Like those other lovable raging alcoholics of the silver screen say Arthur or The McKenzie Brothers two hours of screen time is one thing but day-to-day living is another. One really wonders how long either man would really stick around with Miss Jones? (A: Till he got tired of shagging her.)

One last question. What's is with the music? It's Raining Men? Ain't No Mountain High Enough? Does the CIA use this soundtrack on prisoners at Abu Ghraib? Doesn't the Geneva Convention mean anything?

What's right as rain with Diary is the casting.
    Where the highly likable actress (Zellweger) proves most valuable is in making us adore this insecure, clumsy, contradictory creature.
    Bessed with a gleamingly polished, very funny script.