Bringing Out the Dead

3.6

1. May 20, 2016
    One of the few if not the only movie I can watch over and over again. Truly a favorite of mine. Totally recommended.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2456-Bringing-Out-the-Dead
  2. Apr 1, 2016
    I did not love Bringing Out the Dead. A compelling character study, the film simply does not resolve enough about its premise to be a truly good film. The whole film builds up to something and the pay-off, if it is there, is so not worth it. It does not deserve the low audience score it has on Metacritic, though I would attribute that to some weird bot based on the amount of negativityI did not love Bringing Out the Dead. A compelling character study, the film simply does not resolve enough about its premise to be a truly good film. The whole film builds up to something and the pay-off, if it is there, is so not worth it. It does not deserve the low audience score it has on Metacritic, though I would attribute that to some weird bot based on the amount of negativity compared to the positive reviews. It is really well done and the acting across the board, especially Ving Rhames, is very good. It is well-written and all that, minus the ending. Another problem I had here was with the editing. I typically love the editing in Scorsese's work, but here, it feels quite disjointed and downright odd at times. Overall, Bringing Out the Dead is an oddly put together and somewhat incomplete work from a master director. Expand
  3. Sep 15, 2010
    The people who I have suggested this film to and disliked it all had one thing in common: they were dissatisfied with a broken and hopeless environment, mental instability, and intense emotions to be the focus of movies. However, the ones that did like it agree with me that when one takes what is presented on the screen and looks beneath it, the film is now rife with inner conflicts andThe people who I have suggested this film to and disliked it all had one thing in common: they were dissatisfied with a broken and hopeless environment, mental instability, and intense emotions to be the focus of movies. However, the ones that did like it agree with me that when one takes what is presented on the screen and looks beneath it, the film is now rife with inner conflicts and turmoil, so many different kinds that do not need to be expressed with extroverted antics. Cage's character was intense without having to do or say too much to pass that. Collapse
  4. JimmyP.
    Mar 18, 2007
    I thought that this might be maybe one of if not Scorsese's most overlooked film. I thought it had a powerful message, gripping direction, and standout performances, from Nicolas Cage, and Ving Rhames. Lookout for Scorsese's voice on the dispatch, and also Queen Latifah's.
  5. Barryw.
    Dec 1, 2005
    This movie is excellent.the acting is superb,and the story deep and full of humor,love,and spritual lessons.i loved the movie.
  6. Victoriam
    Jan 24, 2005
    I tought it was mildly entertaining but the whole story of urban decay destroying someone to the brink of insanity still revites me to the core.
  7. PatC.
    Jan 12, 2004
    A unique premise and a lot of tongue-in-cheek gallows humor distinguish this film. It has little in the way of teachings worth retaining, but is quite instructive in pointing out which ones to discard.
  8. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    A spiritual ambulance chase, the movie's too hectic and hyperbolic(while Cage is too lifeless and dopey) to arrive at any sobering conclusion, moral or otherwise. Highly impressive in terms of camera movement and visual flair, the movie has little to show or say when at rest. Perhaps, most similar to After Hours, another movie that tried to compensate for the thinness of material or A spiritual ambulance chase, the movie's too hectic and hyperbolic(while Cage is too lifeless and dopey) to arrive at any sobering conclusion, moral or otherwise. Highly impressive in terms of camera movement and visual flair, the movie has little to show or say when at rest. Perhaps, most similar to After Hours, another movie that tried to compensate for the thinness of material or lack of compelling core with constant movement and distractions. Expand
  9. RyanM.
    Feb 8, 2003
    A hopeless, pathetic, show off of intense hospital scenes and bad performances.
  10. SteveK.
    Nov 12, 2002
    I didnt understand this POS movie at all. Prepare yourself for alot of boredom if you decide to watch this movie. Tom Sizemore's character was cool though.
    Oct 18, 2001
    Absolutely great, a misunderstood masterpiece.
  12. JasonD.
    Mar 29, 2001
    There's no way I'd ever want to see this movie again.
  13. JacquesR.
    Jan 22, 2001
    Ving Rhames is absolutely classic, and John Goodman and Tom Sizmore are great. Just be prepared for the film to be a bit depressing: one big night shoot.

1. TNT RoughCut
    Reviewed by: Christopher Brandon
    Fans of the greatest working film director will be pleased.
  2. Philadelphia Inquirer
    Reviewed by: Carrie Rickey
    Develops microclimates of mood without fully developing the same shadings of character.
    The mood is less angst-ridden than hypercaffeinated, as Scorsese keeps cranking the velocity-bloodbath in the reggae inferno, exploding skyline pietà, climactic white light of redemption.