5.6

1. Jan 25, 2013
    I guess Hollywood thinks we'll watch any old piece of trash it throws up on the screen. They got my money. Congrats. Movie is devoid of original thinking and most of the acting is stale. The screenplay was as artfully written as furniture assembly instructions. I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who thought this was a good movie.By the way, Zeta-Jones isn't hotI guess Hollywood thinks we'll watch any old piece of trash it throws up on the screen. They got my money. Congrats. Movie is devoid of original thinking and most of the acting is stale. The screenplay was as artfully written as furniture assembly instructions. I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who thought this was a good movie.By the way, Zeta-Jones isn't hot anymore and since she never could act I was hoping to see her fade away. No such luck though. Expand
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    A contrived crime drama that feels like it was written by a first time screenwriter during a screenwriting 101 class. Expect the big name actors in this picture to make it a sure-fire hit on Redbox.
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Wow. One can picture the director turning to the producer and asking "Should we go with cheese or cliche for this scene?" and the answer invariably being "Both". The blackmail part was the only authentic scene in the whole Turd I'm guessing because they had to extort these actors to get them to buy into this mess. There must have been a "I will never have to watch this piece of garbage"Wow. One can picture the director turning to the producer and asking "Should we go with cheese or cliche for this scene?" and the answer invariably being "Both". The blackmail part was the only authentic scene in the whole Turd I'm guessing because they had to extort these actors to get them to buy into this mess. There must have been a "I will never have to watch this piece of garbage" clause in their contracts....Actually, Wahlberg has probably seen it a few times. Collapse
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    Allen Hughes' intellectually vacant Broken City feels about as fake and pretentious as Russell Crowe's Kardashian-like spray tan and obnoxious blonde wig.
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    Predictable and strangly poorly acted as well. I expected a lot more from these two. Maybe an aspect of a terrible script, screenplay, direction, I can go on and on.

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    If Broken City – the first film to be directed solo by Allen Hughes, one-half of the Hughes Brothers directing team – is a little flawed and cracked itself, it still squeaks by as a reasonably thoughtful piece of big-screen entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 25, 2013
    If this ‘power corrupts’ potboiler had been made in the 1990s — with, say, Andy Garcia, Gene Hackman and Kim Basinger — it would already have felt old-fashioned. Forget it, Jake, it’s no "Chinatown."
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Feb 9, 2013
    Broken? Not quite, but certainly damaged. City offers star power, dashes of dazzle and plenty of movie nods. But Hughes’ thriller fails to locate a life of its own.