5.4

1. Nov 18, 2013
    Wow. One can picture the director turning to the producer and asking "Should we go with cheese or cliche for this scene?" and the answer invariably being "Both". The blackmail part was the only authentic scene in the whole Turd I'm guessing because they had to extort these actors to get them to buy into this mess. There must have been a "I will never have to watch this piece of garbage"Wow. One can picture the director turning to the producer and asking "Should we go with cheese or cliche for this scene?" and the answer invariably being "Both". The blackmail part was the only authentic scene in the whole Turd I'm guessing because they had to extort these actors to get them to buy into this mess. There must have been a "I will never have to watch this piece of garbage" clause in their contracts....Actually, Wahlberg has probably seen it a few times. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Allen Hughes' intellectually vacant Broken City feels about as fake and pretentious as Russell Crowe's Kardashian-like spray tan and obnoxious blonde wig.
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    A subpar movie from writing to directing. Drags on without obvious rewards.
    The storyline is the age old cliche of "Mayor sells out the city to developers for personal gain" ...
    All the "twists" are really no surprise at all, and I agree with another commenter that with a cast of Catherine Zeta Jones and Russell Crowe, the movie could have been better.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    Predictable and strangly poorly acted as well. I expected a lot more from these two. Maybe an aspect of a terrible script, screenplay, direction, I can go on and on.
  5. Apr 30, 2013
    Your standard action/drama............well actually somewhat below standard.......the plot line is obvious......ex-cop gets hired by corrupt politician to do something.....cops finds out more than he should and starts asking questions.........the dialog is painfully dry and obvious and even the mock political debates are just ripoffs of last year's newspaper headlines...........theYour standard action/drama............well actually somewhat below standard.......the plot line is obvious......ex-cop gets hired by corrupt politician to do something.....cops finds out more than he should and starts asking questions.........the dialog is painfully dry and obvious and even the mock political debates are just ripoffs of last year's newspaper headlines...........the acting....directing is okay.....but nothing out of the ordinary......I'm quite shocked that actors like Russel Crowe and Barry Pepper would agree to do mediocre stuff like this...........to sum up.....it's not good....it's not interesting....it's barely even entertaining. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2013
    I enjoy a really good, intelligent thriller. Unfortunately there are usually only one or two a year that end up fitting that criteria. Broken City is not one of them in 2013. There are many good actors in this film but all are wasted here. The films first half hour is not bad but quickly falls off the rails. Much of the story is predictable, and what isn't is put together for ourI enjoy a really good, intelligent thriller. Unfortunately there are usually only one or two a year that end up fitting that criteria. Broken City is not one of them in 2013. There are many good actors in this film but all are wasted here. The films first half hour is not bad but quickly falls off the rails. Much of the story is predictable, and what isn't is put together for our protagonist in a boring unbelievable way. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    After watching the movie Broken City, I wasn't really impressed. Im a huge advocate of Mark Whalberg and his films. Although recently this latest movie and most movies out there now are going over the top. These films in general are plain plot lines, with too much action, and not enough creativity. Almost anyone out there these days can simply right a mediocre action plot about a drugAfter watching the movie Broken City, I wasn't really impressed. Im a huge advocate of Mark Whalberg and his films. Although recently this latest movie and most movies out there now are going over the top. These films in general are plain plot lines, with too much action, and not enough creativity. Almost anyone out there these days can simply right a mediocre action plot about a drug ring, mob members, or some time of crooked cops. I feel that the movie was entertaining, but it just falls into place with many of the same typical categories that have been all over the big screen in recent months Expand
  8. Jan 25, 2013
    Just your average run of the mill January release. Broken City has good ideas, but they are badly executed, resulting in a dull experience. The actors are ok, but don't expect Oscar-worthy performances. Aside from the already messy story, there are some sub-plots that are less interesting than watching paint dry. Dialogue is cringe-worthy at times since it seems taken from a Ben StillerJust your average run of the mill January release. Broken City has good ideas, but they are badly executed, resulting in a dull experience. The actors are ok, but don't expect Oscar-worthy performances. Aside from the already messy story, there are some sub-plots that are less interesting than watching paint dry. Dialogue is cringe-worthy at times since it seems taken from a Ben Stiller comedy. It's the kind of film that you remember you saw, but after a couple of hours you can't tell anything about the plot because of how forgettable it is. Collapse
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    I guess Hollywood thinks we'll watch any old piece of trash it throws up on the screen. They got my money. Congrats. Movie is devoid of original thinking and most of the acting is stale. The screenplay was as artfully written as furniture assembly instructions. I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who thought this was a good movie.By the way, Zeta-Jones isn't hotI guess Hollywood thinks we'll watch any old piece of trash it throws up on the screen. They got my money. Congrats. Movie is devoid of original thinking and most of the acting is stale. The screenplay was as artfully written as furniture assembly instructions. I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who thought this was a good movie.By the way, Zeta-Jones isn't hot anymore and since she never could act I was hoping to see her fade away. No such luck though. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    A contrived crime drama that feels like it was written by a first time screenwriter during a screenwriting 101 class. Expect the big name actors in this picture to make it a sure-fire hit on Redbox.
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    It's just a very average movie - starting with the writing. The story is just not all that interesting, and the script isn't saved at all by the directing. An all-around forgettable film.
  12. Jan 19, 2013
    Mostly entertaining but nearly always stupid. Persons in front of the camera and behind it seem to make a senseless (or nonsensical) decision at every turn. It's hard to enjoy the film too much when you spend so much of your time rolling your eyes.

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    If Broken City – the first film to be directed solo by Allen Hughes, one-half of the Hughes Brothers directing team – is a little flawed and cracked itself, it still squeaks by as a reasonably thoughtful piece of big-screen entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 25, 2013
    If this ‘power corrupts’ potboiler had been made in the 1990s — with, say, Andy Garcia, Gene Hackman and Kim Basinger — it would already have felt old-fashioned. Forget it, Jake, it’s no "Chinatown."
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Feb 9, 2013
    Broken? Not quite, but certainly damaged. City offers star power, dashes of dazzle and plenty of movie nods. But Hughes’ thriller fails to locate a life of its own.