5.5

1. Jan 20, 2013
    It's just a very average movie - starting with the writing. The story is just not all that interesting, and the script isn't saved at all by the directing. An all-around forgettable film.
  2. Jan 23, 2013
    Broken City is worth watching if you like watching movies; however, you might set yourself up for disappointment if you have high expectations. No singular part of this movie is folly or apathetic, but the story and performances aren't the ones you will recommend when someone asks you, "what's the best movie out right now?"
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    A contrived crime drama that feels like it was written by a first time screenwriter during a screenwriting 101 class. Expect the big name actors in this picture to make it a sure-fire hit on Redbox.
  4. Jan 18, 2013
    Not as good as it intends to be, considering that Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe and Catherine Zeta-Jones are in it, but it is still a fun movie to watch.
  5. Jan 23, 2013
    Do not miss out on this movie! I thought Marky Mark would just be OK, but this movie will leave you breathless and Speachless at the same time. Should have been nominated for the Oscars.
  6. Jan 21, 2013
    I got exactly what I expected out of this film. A Russell Crowe fading in his career, Mark Walberg replaying the role of blue collar tough guy, a plot that is interesting but stitched together with no character or plot line fully developed, and story twists dropped in with no plausibility. It's called January in the theater. You have seen this story of the corrupt mayor and the inner city politics a thousand times so don't expect anything new and different. In a way, it is sort of sad, considering that much talent. That said, I actually enjoyed it versus sitting at home. Expand
  7. Jan 21, 2013
    I'm always baffled that Hollywood casts overexposed stars like Catherine Zeta Jones, who are constantly being exposed in magazines and tv, and then wonder why the audience is pulled out of the movie and don't like the movie. I'm just going to have to face the fact that anything with a Hollywood wife in it is not going to be a good movie (can you say Nicole Kidman).
  8. Jan 19, 2013
    Mostly entertaining but nearly always stupid. Persons in front of the camera and behind it seem to make a senseless (or nonsensical) decision at every turn. It's hard to enjoy the film too much when you spend so much of your time rolling your eyes.
  9. Jan 19, 2013
    The story was somewhat interesting and the acting was very good all around. My main issue is that the plot is difficult to follow at times and the motivations for some of the characters' actions (the mayor, the commissioner, the mayor's wife, etc) don't really get explained until the very end. It takes a long time to develop and as you sit there watching you get caught up thinking about why things are happening. The film could have been put together better because in the end it keeps throwing new "twists" making the plot overcomplicated. Expand
  10. Jan 25, 2013
    I guess Hollywood thinks we'll watch any old piece of trash it throws up on the screen. They got my money. Congrats. Movie is devoid of original thinking and most of the acting is stale. The screenplay was as artfully written as furniture assembly instructions. I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who thought this was a good movie.By the way, Zeta-Jones isn't hot anymore and since she never could act I was hoping to see her fade away. No such luck though. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2013
    Wow. One can picture the director turning to the producer and asking "Should we go with cheese or cliche for this scene?" and the answer invariably being "Both". The blackmail part was the only authentic scene in the whole Turd I'm guessing because they had to extort these actors to get them to buy into this mess. There must have been a "I will never have to watch this piece of garbage" clause in their contracts....Actually, Wahlberg has probably seen it a few times. Expand
  12. Jan 25, 2013
    Mark Wahlberg plays a hardened NYC cop (is there any other kind?), who turns private detective after an on-duty controversy. He's hired by the city's sketchy mayor (Russell Crowe) to conduct a personal investigation. This results in the inevitable paranoid political complications. While nothing here is particularly original or surprising, it's well crafted and never drags or loses interest.
  13. Feb 21, 2013
    Wahlberg sleepwalks through another feature role here. The movie drags and the plot becomes thin. Save yourself some time and watch an episode of Law Order.
  14. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark Wahlberg has made a career out of gritty crime dramas but ultimately all of them are lackluster. Broken City doesn't really break that trend although it does have enough good qualities to make it worth a watch. The film follows Billy Taggert (Wahlberg), an ex cop turned private eye who is employed by the mayor of New York City (Russel Crowe) to investigate his wife's infidelity but the case ultimately leads to a minefield of death, danger and corruption. Firstly it must be said that Broken City continues the career resurgence of Catherine Zeta Jones whose work in both this and Side Effects is exemplary despite the small nature of both roles. In fact the acting in Broken City is excellent, especially that of Wahlberg himself. The only problem is Crowe who has the tendency to play a scene straight and then suddenly turn camp, he is inconsistent throughout and therefore the film really doesn't have a convincing or reliable villain, something that makes the film suffer in its closing. Another flaw is that much like Killing Them Softly, it's political commentary is quite heavy handed and in places incredibly insulting. The central mystery feels more like economics 101 than a story in a thriller and to be honest its fairly hard to call the film a thriller with only a couple of action based sequences in the entire film. It's a decent redemption story but its buried beneath a simplistic mystery and a disappointing script which doesn't really reach the gritty levels it strides for but can impress in its politics and acting, just not its storytelling. Expand
  15. May 25, 2013
    Disappointing modern 'noir' has a great cast (Crowe, Wahlberg and Zeta Jones), but absolutely predictable plot that you can see from a mile off. Sure the basic concept was great, but they just needed a better screenplay. This film shows that some of the best film makers have left this genre and moved on to blockbuster territory (i.e. Nolan, Bryan Singer and David Fincher). The end result: films of such ho-hum quality as this one. A rental at best. Expand
  16. May 19, 2013
    Broken City is a very good movie but it's not the type of movie I thought it would be. That's not to say the trailers misrepresented the film in any way, only that Mark Wahlberg isn't known for his political thrillers. That being said, this was a very good political thriller with solid acting across the board, especially from Russell Crowe. The characters all developed well and the plot was great. The twists came about in a nice fashion, not out of left field where nobody could possibly see them coming, which has unfortunately become a trend in the increasingly uncreative Hollywood climate. The film did drag quite a bit and the ending felt a bit rushed when it happened but I'd say all-in-all this was a solid film that most people would enjoy. Expand
  17. May 11, 2013
    Good acting by the cast and the twist that happens mid-way through the film really keeps things fresh and puts you back on your toes to see how it plays out. I thought it was a rather enjoyable movie. I'd recommend it.
  18. Feb 3, 2013
    I enjoy a really good, intelligent thriller. Unfortunately there are usually only one or two a year that end up fitting that criteria. Broken City is not one of them in 2013. There are many good actors in this film but all are wasted here. The films first half hour is not bad but quickly falls off the rails. Much of the story is predictable, and what isn't is put together for our protagonist in a boring unbelievable way. Expand
  19. Jan 25, 2013
    Just your average run of the mill January release. Broken City has good ideas, but they are badly executed, resulting in a dull experience. The actors are ok, but don't expect Oscar-worthy performances. Aside from the already messy story, there are some sub-plots that are less interesting than watching paint dry. Dialogue is cringe-worthy at times since it seems taken from a Ben Stiller comedy. It's the kind of film that you remember you saw, but after a couple of hours you can't tell anything about the plot because of how forgettable it is. Expand
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    Having never seen the previews, I found myself immediately turned off by the cast/plot combo as described by my friends (who had only seen previews). Coming into the viewing with a negative outlook, I found myself very pleasantly surprised. While initially very slow and monotonous, the movie has decent twists and a fast pace when it comes to the fine details. I do believe, however, that some story elements were completely unnecessary (I'm referring to the relationship between Mark Wahlberg's character and his girlfriend.) While the movie is admittedly not perfect, overall I believe it is vastly underrated and I would definitely recommend it to intelligent and patient individuals. It is a political drama/thriller, for anyone wondering, but I found it to be true to reality with regards to how ruthless and insensitive people can be. Expand
  21. Jul 25, 2013
    Allen Hughes' intellectually vacant Broken City feels about as fake and pretentious as Russell Crowe's Kardashian-like spray tan and obnoxious blonde wig.
  22. Dec 21, 2013
    Broken city digs into the broken politicians, so I give it points for that, but the movie is slow and forgettable. This movie sure disappointment me. It`s an average movie, even when things pick up here and there it`s just not enough to make up for the rest.
  23. Aug 9, 2013
    "Broken City" quickly descends into a quicksand of clichés, and the results are meager and completely insubstantial. This is a story about power and its abuse in the city, and there are a countless amount of films that have covered this storyline already.Though it's runtime clocks in at a compact 109 minutes, it feels much longer than that. It's never outright boring, but it lacks an accumulative impact.

Mark Wahlberg stars a Billy Taggart, a New York cop is forced to resign after a controversial shooting. But no worries, Mayor Nicholas Hostetler (Russell Crowe) has his back. He hires Billy, now a private investigator, to catch Mrs. Mayor (Catherine Zeta-Jones) screwing around. What seems like a simple adultery case opens a rat's nest of political corruption.

The plot quite simply is little confusing. Several subplots wander off into oblivion never to return. It's occasionally hard to tell whether the Hughes brothers are winking at clichés, or merely adhering to the genre handbook. The script written by newcomer Brian Tucker is a bloody mess that has no sense of direction. Throughout the film, we're led to believe there will be some big "shock" a twist or secret that will cause us to gasp in shock. When it comes, it's so muted and unsurprising that it completely diminishes the film's climax.

The characters are poorly developed, but the overall performances are generally fine. In the right role, Mark Wahlberg can be a tremendous asset to any movie. Unfortunately, Billy is not the right role. Wahlberg is stiff and unconvincing and it quickly becomes apparent that the film would have benefitted from someone with a more volcanic temperament in the lead. As his adversary, Russell Crowe brings a little more to the part, but this isn't the New Zealand-born actor's finest hour. Catherine Zeta-Jones, continuing her comeback from obscurity, does a fine job.

Although well-made, altogether the end result is an unremarkable thriller. "Broken City" fails to impress, largely in part because there is nothing here we haven't seen before. That being said, "Broken City" isn't a terrible film, it's just not particularly memorable.
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    Predictable and strangly poorly acted as well. I expected a lot more from these two. Maybe an aspect of a terrible script, screenplay, direction, I can go on and on.
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    Storyline: This is the rather unimaginative story of police and political corruption in New York. Mayor Hostetler (Russell Crow) hires ex cop Billy Taggart (Mark Wahlberg) to follow his wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and take pictures of her being unfaithful. People start dying and Billy starts to realise that nothing is quite what it seems. While this is a good movie it never really strays from the formula which doesn't exactly make for riveting viewing.

Acting: While this does have a great cast, there are no stand out performances by anyone. Everyone does a good job but little more and for a cast of this calibre it's a wasted opportunity. Mark Wahlberg is in my books a brilliant actor and can usually pull out touches of greatness but not here. Everyone really was good but I kind of hoped for more. Oh well.

Direction: The films biggest problem is perhaps Allen Hughes who has missed a huge opportunity with this. A more seasoned director could have added some stylish touches to this humdrum script because he had the actors and budget to achieve something memorable but no. A real pity.

Production: I have to admit the overall package is decent enough but almost feels like a TV movie. Almost. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking that it looked like a very good thriller but instead we get just plain good.

Conclusion: This is enjoyable if somewhat predictable but it entertained and that is ultimately what counts. Recommended.

Score: 7/10
  26. Jan 28, 2013
    After watching the movie Broken City, I wasn't really impressed. Im a huge advocate of Mark Whalberg and his films. Although recently this latest movie and most movies out there now are going over the top. These films in general are plain plot lines, with too much action, and not enough creativity. Almost anyone out there these days can simply right a mediocre action plot about a drug ring, mob members, or some time of crooked cops. I feel that the movie was entertaining, but it just falls into place with many of the same typical categories that have been all over the big screen in recent months Expand
  27. Feb 1, 2014
    It's one of those movies who you just have to watch it and decide for yourself and stop reading reviews about it, because the reviews are mixed and disturbing 50% are good and the other 50% are bad,
    and the reason for this is that the movie is so easily to misunderstood. some say it's a predictable plot, some say awful screenplay or awful directing and i say it's an enjoyable movie with a
    great message behind it.
    it's a crime/thriller movie, definitely not the best in the genre but it's good in so many levels that people tends to ignore.
    the performances were solid, obviously (Mark,Russell and Zeta-Jones), the screening was beautiful and the music was very good, the plot is average but what do you expect from a movie about Corruption, i mean it might be a predictable but it have a great message behind it.
  28. Jun 2, 2013
    Broken City is an enjoyable movie with some good performances. Wahlberg and Crowd makes a middle of the road film a good one. See it once and you won't be disappointed.
  29. Apr 30, 2013
    Your standard action/drama............well actually somewhat below standard.......the plot line is obvious......ex-cop gets hired by corrupt politician to do something.....cops finds out more than he should and starts asking questions.........the dialog is painfully dry and obvious and even the mock political debates are just ripoffs of last year's newspaper headlines...........the acting....directing is okay.....but nothing out of the ordinary......I'm quite shocked that actors like Russel Crowe and Barry Pepper would agree to do mediocre stuff like this...........to sum up.....it's not good....it's not interesting....it's barely even entertaining. Expand
  30. May 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I thought this was a great movie. It is definitely one of those movies you have pay attention because there are a few plot twists. The one criticism I have is that there were a few slow parts and I thought there was going to be a little more action. But all in all a very good movie. Collapse
  31. Aug 31, 2013
    Great thriller but not for everyone. It seems that some critics want to get surprised from something in a film, and that's why they always say bad things about them. Watch it!! That's my opinion.
  32. Jul 5, 2013
    Broken City is a film that can't really decide what it wants to be. From the beginnings of a story centred on Mark Wahlberg's character, Billy, it evolves into a standard conspiracy thriller, but never really gets going with either of them. There are vague stabs at joining the dots here and there, but without much success.

The first forty-five minutes are largely a throwaway and only
    loosely connected to the much stronger second half, the tenuous link mostly going through the character of Billy. This poses a big problem. Due to the fact that the role is so flimsy, what little attempts there are at filling him out in the early stages are completely redundant once the plot finally kicks in. Wahlberg does his best to give the guy some personality, but it's a constant uphill struggle. This leaves any efforts at poignant references to his past that come later feeling not only forced, but also unnecessary.

Once the movie begins to focus on the conspiracy, it becomes much more watchable, the dodgy character development holding less sway over the progression of the narrative. This isn't to say that it improves things hugely, just that it holds the attention much more effectively. It's tolerable and won't make you wish you'd defrosted the fridge rather than sit through it, but you've definitely seen it all before. There's no real sense of urgency about the whole thing and the mystery that is unraveled is positively trite and lacklustre. Having said that, the process of reaching the conclusion is executed reasonably well at times.

Despite the distinctly average presentation, there are a few scenes worthy of note. Barry Pepper's range in the film caught my eye, particularly as there is unsurprisingly very little in the way of fleshing out his character. Russell Crowe too, manages to dig out some of the menace that marks his best performances, but these occasions are very few. Other than these sparse moments, it's a very dreary outing for all concerned.

In addition to these issues, the resolution of the plot had a nasty habit of introducing new players into the mix that seemingly had not been mentioned previously. I'm not entirely sure if this was because I wasn't paying enough attention in the less agreeable sections of the picture, or if they were genuinely tacked on in wrapping things up. Either way, this should never be a complication in mainstream cinema and only confirms to me my opinion on the opening as uninteresting and superfluous, given where the film ends up.

Overall, it's not terrible, but it's almost certainly not worth the time. More or less everything about it is wholly ordinary and I was ultimately left disappointed.
  33. Jul 19, 2013
    A subpar movie from writing to directing. Drags on without obvious rewards.
    The storyline is the age old cliche of "Mayor sells out the city to developers for personal gain" ...
    All the "twists" are really no surprise at all, and I agree with another commenter that with a cast of Catherine Zeta Jones and Russell Crowe, the movie could have been better.
  34. Feb 19, 2014
    If you wish to see Russel Crowe speaking American and wearing a hair piece it is OK. For men they added Catherine Zeta Jones and for us chicks there is the charismatic Marc Wahlberg and an actor called Pepper who does not even have salt and pepper. However, I did not fall asleep - Admit Wahlberg does it for me.

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    If Broken City – the first film to be directed solo by Allen Hughes, one-half of the Hughes Brothers directing team – is a little flawed and cracked itself, it still squeaks by as a reasonably thoughtful piece of big-screen entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Feb 25, 2013
    If this ‘power corrupts’ potboiler had been made in the 1990s — with, say, Andy Garcia, Gene Hackman and Kim Basinger — it would already have felt old-fashioned. Forget it, Jake, it’s no "Chinatown."
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Harley
    Feb 9, 2013
    Broken? Not quite, but certainly damaged. City offers star power, dashes of dazzle and plenty of movie nods. But Hughes’ thriller fails to locate a life of its own.