5.9

1. NickN
    Jul 5, 2007
    A clever and meaningful film about a middle aged man reflecting on his life and his future. If you think the movie has no end, you're an idiot and you have no idea what they're trying to say. I can see the criticism that it moves slowly, because some people aren't able to engage without constant fireworks.
  2. sjb.
    Aug 16, 2005
    Bill murray follows "Lost in Translation" with yet another brilliant under-stated performance.
  3. Mark
    Aug 8, 2005
    By far the best movie of the year. As per usual in his latest movies, Bill Murray turns in a stellar performance, simultaneously hilarious and tragic.
  4. DrSuess
    Sep 15, 2005
    Lovely.
  5. DanC.
    Jan 4, 2006
    I really enjoy this movie. Although the character acted by Bill Murray evokes the one he made in Lost In Translation, they are totaly similar.
  6. DanielJ.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Refreshingly slow, honest and open ended. It's not a revolution, but it's good to see a film that is detailed, but not in a specific or convenient way- i.e. only to move the plot along. I didn't 'realise', if that is the word, that this was a comedy. But, it's definitely not a downer- just light hearted in a completely non middle-of-the-road way.
  7. Tanya
    Aug 20, 2005
    Murray and Jarmusch, mastering the gravitas of the minimal, deliver a comtemplative film (often evoking the same mood as About Schmidt) that explores instead of explains. A great examination of half-hearted lament over something lost -- when you don't know what it is that was lost. We learn far more about all the characters surrounding Murray than about Murray himself, which provides Murray and Jarmusch, mastering the gravitas of the minimal, deliver a comtemplative film (often evoking the same mood as About Schmidt) that explores instead of explains. A great examination of half-hearted lament over something lost -- when you don't know what it is that was lost. We learn far more about all the characters surrounding Murray than about Murray himself, which provides an intriguing distance to watch his character plod reluctantly but disinterestedly through his past. Marvellous! Expand
  8. FredW
    Aug 30, 2005
    There's probably a reason reviews are so bifurcated; either you like minimalistic/philosophical perspective or you don't. This ain't Stripes or Caddyshack, and not even Lost in Translation. Murray has never been so understated and used so little in creating so much.
  9. ATHoward
    Aug 8, 2005
    This movie was brilliant and will be easily misunderstood. Bill Murray is the most interesting leading man in Hollywood right now. I hope he gets nominated for the Oscar and wins for his moving portrayal in this film.
  10. Josh
    Sep 11, 2005
    Fantastic, hilarious, and touching movie. This is a movie people who like constant action will never understand, and thats too bad for them. Someone needs to give Bill Murray an Oscar.
  11. ScottM.
    Jan 15, 2006
    I saw people walking out on this film...and note some giving zero scores here..to love this film you need to have some life experiences that youth cannot give...however this is as close to Tolstoy in a film i have seen..and it doesn't get any better than that.
  12. BobA.
    Jan 16, 2006
    A great movie destined to never be accepted by a mainstream public that can't stop wondering what happens next and simply enjoy what's happening now.
  13. NickH.
    Jan 16, 2006
    In Broken Flowers, it
  14. miker.
    Jan 2, 2006
    The most heartfelt and soulful film of the past year.
  15. ChrisS.
    Jan 27, 2006
    After watching this movie with my girlfriend, we discussed what it meant and how we felt about it for a good hour. When was the last time a movie sparked a conversation like that for you? I guess the better question is "do you want to have a conversation like that after a movie"? If the answer is yes, then this movie is right for you, if not, continue down the aisle at your local movie After watching this movie with my girlfriend, we discussed what it meant and how we felt about it for a good hour. When was the last time a movie sparked a conversation like that for you? I guess the better question is "do you want to have a conversation like that after a movie"? If the answer is yes, then this movie is right for you, if not, continue down the aisle at your local movie store to the "hollywood - business as usual" section. If your idea of a good movie is wacky humor, action, formulaic plots, well, this is not for you. I attributed this movie to a good short story that makes you think about the characters past and how they got to where they are, rather than spelling it out word for word. I think those of you out there that are rating this movie below a 6 are probably missing the point. Sometimes less is more. Expand
  16. AndreasD.
    Apr 24, 2006
    One of the best movies last year. It deserves a good rating... This movie has no ending, which is only one reason to watch it.
  17. NickS.
    Nov 27, 2005
    I must say that I really enjoyed the film. My favorite part is the ending.... there is something to be said for films that leave you to try and finish the story parhapse this is forshadowed in Winston's love of detective novels?
  18. ElwynC.
    Dec 29, 2005
    OK. I think the advertisement that proclaims this to be a "laugh out loud" movie will annoy many people but the Winston moments were mainstream LOL. I think that for most people, it may be too subtle... and I don't even know what to say about the bit when Don rolls his eyes. The ending is really unsatisfying but leaves you wondering long afterwards.
  19. AlistairD.
    Oct 23, 2005
    Very similar to Wes Anderson stuff and lost in translation, but couldn't hope for any more with this film.
  20. BillyBob
    Aug 14, 2005
    This is a movie about itself, a movie about interpreation. It's very cool.
  21. JakeH.
    Sep 11, 2005
    Absolutely wonderful. An a emotionally satifying film that leaves you think about life.
  22. TedC.
    Feb 21, 2006
    A great movie, possibly my #1 for the year. One of the best endings to a movie I've seen in ages, and a great soundtrack to boot. The kind of movie that sticks with you for a long time after watching it. It will go down as one of Jarmusch's finest and possibly Murray's best late-career performance.
  23. JohanS.
    Jan 31, 2007
    Every human being is an island. No matter what you do. Bill Muray shows this unbearable loneliness in a superb way.
  24. jw
    Aug 11, 2007
    (9.5) Those not familiar with Jarmusch, perhaps anticipating a reprise of life-altering happy sadness in the vein of Lost In Translation, were probably disappointed. They are similar in some important ways, though. Both achieve realism by way of non-resolution, for one. Compare it, on the other hand, to Shopgirl (which I believe tried for the same airspace as Lost In Translation) and I (9.5) Those not familiar with Jarmusch, perhaps anticipating a reprise of life-altering happy sadness in the vein of Lost In Translation, were probably disappointed. They are similar in some important ways, though. Both achieve realism by way of non-resolution, for one. Compare it, on the other hand, to Shopgirl (which I believe tried for the same airspace as Lost In Translation) and I think you'll find that Broken Flowers succeeds in all the ways that movie, I think, failed. Jeffrey Wright - whose characters are typically very busy with everything from redefining postmodern art to diligently defending the interests of big oil companies - seems to have an abundance of time on his hands here. His hyper-interest in Murray's affairs is hilarious, his meddling a direct countercurrent to the rest of the movie's listless forward drift. While the episodic, cameo-driven quality of Dead Man and Coffee and Cigarettes remains intact, there are no (or few) intricate arcs of mysticism swivelling overhead. This makes the movie almost unbelievably real and modern, I think. So does the blatant (considering Jarmusch) use of color, in everything from the mysterious pink letter to the name of the lovely young florist, Sun Green. The soundtrack is typically strong, and stray shots of overgrown typewriters, etc. delight throughout. A meaningful, if quiet, performance by Murray is punctuated by a scene in a graveyard. In a film mad with unanswered questions and dead ends, this scene has beautiful resonance, dignity, and despite itself, explanatory power that entire dialogue-heavy movies of greater ambition failed utterly to achieve. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Funny, bittersweet, its understatement yielding surprising depth charges, Broken Flowers is a triumph of close observation and telling details.
    Broken Flowers may be too low-key for laugh junkies, but Jarmusch fills his sharply observed comedy with wonderful mischief. The mix of humor and heartbreak brings out the best in Murray.
  3. It skips merrily along the surface with its over-the-top vignettes but never seems to arrive at a destination. Nevertheless, the journey is more than half the fun as every actor attacks his role with relish.