Brothers

8.7

1. Mar 2, 2013
    De las mejores interpretaciones de Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman y Jake Gyllenhaall. Desgarradora. Romántica. Familiar. Dura. Nos hace odiar la guerra. Jake Gyllenhaall está guapísimo.
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    Films that depict a war environment have been coming out of Hollywood regularly in the past several years. Itâ
  3. JonW.
    Jan 4, 2010
    Powerful film, one of best of year - way better than the more critically praised ho hum, depressing Up in the Air.
  4. SpencerS.
    Jan 7, 2010
    Brothers: Toby Maguire plays a role that is so terrifilying convincing that he should win every oscar for the next ten years. The movie takes every emotion inside of you and tears them to shreds. Jake Gyllenhaal and Maguire's final confrontation is so emotionally traumatizing you dont know who to root for. In the end i...t was a succesfull war/drama movie, with some of the best Brothers: Toby Maguire plays a role that is so terrifilying convincing that he should win every oscar for the next ten years. The movie takes every emotion inside of you and tears them to shreds. Jake Gyllenhaal and Maguire's final confrontation is so emotionally traumatizing you dont know who to root for. In the end i...t was a succesfull war/drama movie, with some of the best acting I have ever seen. I give it an A-. Expand
  5. JamesH.
    Mar 24, 2010
    Very powerful performances from the leads really make this film work. Toby Maguire has the showy role but he handles it well, Natalie Portman is excellent as his wife and gives a very heartfelt performance, and Jake Gyllenhaal is subtle but effective as his brother. The story is very good, a bit overstated perhaps but it holds your interest throughout. Good score, fine supporting Very powerful performances from the leads really make this film work. Toby Maguire has the showy role but he handles it well, Natalie Portman is excellent as his wife and gives a very heartfelt performance, and Jake Gyllenhaal is subtle but effective as his brother. The story is very good, a bit overstated perhaps but it holds your interest throughout. Good score, fine supporting performances from Sam Shepard and Mare Winningham. I am getting a little weary of movies that deal with a wars effect on a person though, fortunately this one handles the subject matter sensitively. Expand
  6. javierr.
    Apr 2, 2010
    Excellent film. one of the best of the year. storyline and acting are excellent. do not miss it!
  7. StevenB.
    Jun 1, 2010
    This is the most emotionally effective film I have thus far seen in my life. Superb acting all around, and incredibly tense situations throughout.
  8. JordanK.
    Dec 4, 2009
    A really powerful movie with what I thought was incredible acting. Toby Mcquire I thought was almost silly at times in the Spiderman movies but he really carried this movie along with Jake Gyllenhaal. Great pacing, great writing, and great acting. Especially hit home for me and my gf because I'm leaving to basic training soon.
  9. Mr.JohnP.
    Dec 5, 2009
    A beautiful drama movie !! Great actors for a movie extraordinary !! Oscar for Natalie Portman!!
  10. PhilS.
    Dec 8, 2009
    I loved this movie because of what the actors brought. You'll find some surprising things from the smallest places..i dont want to give anything away. Just enjoy the movie and try to take Natalie Portman seriously.
  11. ArnoldP.
    Jan 2, 2010
    Emotionally wrenching, sometimes going over the top, uneven, raw, but still kudo's to Hollywood and Sheridan for dealing with this subject. Ensemble acting empowered the dramatic effect, with Gyllenhaall giving the most nuanced performance. You can begin to fathom the core of post traumatic stress to suicide and psychosis we are confronted with today.
  12. MiriamR.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The best film I've ever seen. Very touching. Brilliant actors.
  13. shannonb
    May 2, 2010
    This movie was good, bad, and the ugly all roled into one. It was kind of predictable, somewhat dark, but vey realistic. I would recommend the movie, but stop short of rating any higher.
  14. RyanK.
    May 2, 2010
    This was a very good movie. The acting was truly amazing, by everybody involved.
  15. tabhard
    Dec 20, 2009
    I don't know what movie the critics watched because this movie was right on point with what our soldiers and their familiies are going through every day!
  16. JulieP
    Dec 26, 2009
    Each actor gave their all for the characters. With a intense story and fantastic actors, this movie let you be a part of it's highs and lows.
  17. JeffreyF
    Dec 4, 2009
    The writing just failed this elite ensemble, only the children's roles are fully realized.
  18. JohnW
    Dec 4, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic. On the surface, it seemed to be too simple to be good. But I think it was meant to be taken on multiple levels. Look at the two brothers, and the crimes they both committed. Murder is worse than robbery. Since the movie leaves you with almost no back story to the younger brother, you have to wonder what made him try to rob the bank. I think it's I thought this movie was fantastic. On the surface, it seemed to be too simple to be good. But I think it was meant to be taken on multiple levels. Look at the two brothers, and the crimes they both committed. Murder is worse than robbery. Since the movie leaves you with almost no back story to the younger brother, you have to wonder what made him try to rob the bank. I think it's meant to teach that you have to take life objectively. Everyone has a back story, whether you know it or not, and they must be treated that way. As that hoe the younger brother brought to the dinner table, we are all human. That being said, there was something about the characterization of the two brothers that made it too surreal. You just have to kind of take it that they have a history of friendship and love, even though the father would make you think that there was always turmoil in the family, and that the brothers would be far from best friends. The wife was just a drag, nothing more than an object used to represent family earned, anything outside of blood. She had no personality whatsoever. The father also wasn't fleshed out enough. I think if we saw more strategically placed back story, you could make a stronger statement. The acting was decent otherwise. It was a great movie, just short of magnificent. Expand
  19. PeterG.
    Dec 4, 2009
    It was an excellant ensemble cast production. You felt the intimacy, the emotions, the frustra- tions, and yearning for meaning and happiness of a modern day family during time of war. The mov- took you there and made you feel what the char- acters were feeling. You can't ask for much more.
  20. sabiner
    Dec 5, 2009
    Great movie, wonderful acting!
  21. JasonC
    Dec 7, 2009
    Very good movie but I feel it could of went on a little longer. I feel like the end of the movie left you hanging did not like the end.
  22. BillyS.
    Dec 7, 2009
    The power and beauty of Brothers is its intense simplicity, like Sheridan's In America, there are no villans or saints in the story, just common everyday people coping with what life has dealt them and understanding family is the foundation that holds it all, and them together. Jim Sheridan shows the honesty in his characters and everyone in the cast plays them as if they were your The power and beauty of Brothers is its intense simplicity, like Sheridan's In America, there are no villans or saints in the story, just common everyday people coping with what life has dealt them and understanding family is the foundation that holds it all, and them together. Jim Sheridan shows the honesty in his characters and everyone in the cast plays them as if they were your neighbors 2 doors down. After years of being in that spider suit, Tobey Maguire confirms to the world that he is an actor to be reckoned with, he is simply devasting in Brothers, a brilliant performance like his pre-spidey days of The Wonder Boys and Pleasantville. Natalie Portman is simply the best actress of her generation, something we've all known since The Professional. Brothers is a great movie, great in its simplicity and honesty, in its writing and directing and in its powerful perfomances. Most of all, Brothers is well worth seeing. Expand
  23. LynnV.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Troubling, any one who would recommend military service for their child needs to watch this movie. Very realistic emotional ride.
  24. FilipeM.
    Jan 13, 2010
    A good start, a slo-mo middle and a breath-taking finale. Mix all of that with Maguire's surprisingly dark performance and you have a movie with one of the greatest after-effects you'll ever feel. Also, Natalie Portman is so hot!
  25. TonyB.
    Apr 16, 2010
    Three of our finest young actors and a strong supporting cast give excellent performances in this wise and thoughtful film. The open-ended conclusion indicates that there are filmmakers who believe that at least some of their audiences do not need everything spelled out for them.
  26. judyt
    Jun 13, 2010
    Very sad, compelling and powerful movie with good performances from the three leads.
  27. DebbieG
    Dec 5, 2009
    I loved it! Natalie Portman and Tobey both deserve an Oscar.
  28. KristinaH
    Dec 6, 2009
    Having seen the Danish original in 2006, I have to say I prefer it over Sheridan's version. It's difficult for me to be objective. I give Susanne Bier's film a 9.5/possible 10...this remake was slightly disappointing. Tobey Maguire's acting was most convincing once he returned from Afghanistan. I wholeheartedly disagree with any rating lower than a 6. All in all, Having seen the Danish original in 2006, I have to say I prefer it over Sheridan's version. It's difficult for me to be objective. I give Susanne Bier's film a 9.5/possible 10...this remake was slightly disappointing. Tobey Maguire's acting was most convincing once he returned from Afghanistan. I wholeheartedly disagree with any rating lower than a 6. All in all, terrific story. Expand
  29. ChadS.
    Dec 6, 2009
    The raging bull has no proof, just a hunch, that Joey(Joe Pesci) is sleeping with Vickie(Cathy Moriarity) behind his back. Jack LaMotta(Robert DeNiro) may, or may not, be right, because Scorsese lets moviegoers decide for themselves if the boxer's paranoia about possible transgressions between his brother and wife are warranted. It's this same sort of ambiguity that "Brothers" The raging bull has no proof, just a hunch, that Joey(Joe Pesci) is sleeping with Vickie(Cathy Moriarity) behind his back. Jack LaMotta(Robert DeNiro) may, or may not, be right, because Scorsese lets moviegoers decide for themselves if the boxer's paranoia about possible transgressions between his brother and wife are warranted. It's this same sort of ambiguity that "Brothers" needs, as Sam(Tobey Maguire), the feisty spider, notes how Tommy(Jake Gyllenhaal) and Grace(Natalie Portman) carry on like teenagers at the skating rink. But the filmmaker telegraphs their innocence, in a scene where the black sheep brother and wife of a "dead" G.I. smoke pot and kiss, but nothing more(even though their love would have been a foregone conclusion had fate not intervened). Since the moviegoer knows the limits to their relationship, Sam's point blank accusation of infidelity sounds like the ravings of a madman, and not the prescience of a dead man walking, who knows his existence is practically irrelevant. This tweak to the film's calibration, in which the intimations of a physical relationship looms like an aura, would have kicked the pathos up a notch, because the moviegoer sees how Sam's death was the best thing that ever happened to Tommy. The drama of "Brothers" is at the homefront, not an Afghanistanian hot zone, but Tobey Maguire is too big of a star to be kept in the filmic negative space. When Sam comes home a transformed man, for the worst, Grace doesn't know the root cause of this human alchemy, and neither should we. Sam's unpardonable act could have been taken care of with a simple flashback. "Brothers" is a domestic drama that's constantly interrupted by the war, but the moviegoer pardons the interruption. This remake of the 2005 Susanne Bier original("Brodre") had me chained to my seat. The acting is, lights out terrific, perhaps, the best ensemble job in a major studio film this year, so far. Expand
  30. BillC.
    Dec 6, 2009
    I think the critic's missed this one. The acting is 1st rate,especially the two young girls. It gets pretty intense and plays out very realistically.
  31. DeLindaH.
    Dec 8, 2009
    Good movie but thought that Matt Damon and Kate Beckinsil would have been a better casting .I just didn't but Tobie and Natalie.

1. Irish director Jim Sheridan, who has made his films in America in recent years, now delivers an American remake that hues closely to the original but loses some of its true grit.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Though it renders a convincing portrait of fractured family life and boasts its share of powerfully acted moments, this schematic tale of two siblings, ripped apart by jealousy, misunderstanding and unshakable trauma, plays like a more polished but less effective twin to the 2005 Danish original.
  3. Sheridan’s actors work with their intellects fully engaged--and they engage us on levels we barely knew we had.