6.9

1. Aug 29, 2014
    The premise of Bruce Almighty is a notable one. There's plenty of potential here, especially with Jennifer Aniston at the top of her game. But the film would've succeeded much more with the loss of Jim Carrey entirely.
  2. Jul 24, 2014
    Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman make a delightful-to-watch duo this comedic farce. Sad to say, without them, the movie would have fallen flat on the ground, as flat and dull as a sheet of white paper. The script is sloppy, as is the entire movie, when looking from the larger perspective. Carrey and Morgan save this movie from disaster, as evidenced by the box office success.
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    Bruce Almighty isn't a masterpiece but it is an amusing and clever comedy. The movie is suitable for the whole family and the special effects are fantastic as well. Jim Carrey, Steve Carell, Jennifer Aniston and Morgan Freeman as God give refined acting. All of these elements combine to deliver a smart comedy, that is exactly what filmgoers expect.
  4. May 25, 2014
    Bruce Almighty is actually a pretty good comedy yes its another Jim Carrey comedy movie but this one is toned back from others like The Cable Guy, Ace Ventura 1&2, The Mask, Liar Liar not that i dont love those movies because i do its that those movies are pure comdies while this is a bit more grown up and has a little heart to it. Jim Carrey as Bruce Nolan was a delight it was classic Carrey with the funny expressions and dialog that had me laughing throughout. The film also has a bunch of other stars like Morgan Freeman aka a real God, Jennifer Aniston she plays Carrey's wife she does did an ok job nothing great though, there is also Steve Carell, Catherine Bell, Philip Baker Hall all of them did great. I guess Steve Carell did a good enough job to get a spin off movie Evan Almighty although that movie was crap. Bruce Almighty is a good fun time and worth a watch i know some people hate that its religious but i dont even care about that.

Overall i give it a 6.5
  5. Sep 8, 2013
    With great power, comes great power, especially when God is involved, with various theological accuracies and religious beliefs aside, 'Bruce Almighty' explores the power and responsibility that a higher being may possess, but in a comic manner of course, because Jim Carrey is leading the show in this supernatural comedy, where he plays a news reporter longing after the coveted anchor job, a job that goes to Evan (Steve Carell). Bruce has a breakdown and decides to take his anger out on the skies, namely God, who answers Bruce in the most unorthodox of ways, giving him all his powers and telling him to use them how he pleases. While the powers of God throughout the film bring excellent comedy and impressive visual gags like the part of the soup, clearly a direct reference to Moses, and others like pulling the moon closer or even the voice change for his rival Evan, it sometimes feels over-bearing when you realise a film is being made about powers that are truly limitless, so where do you even start with that. The true spark of the film rests on the shoulders of Carrey and his energetic persona that he brings to most of his roles, it's difficult to imagine anyone else playing the role, and a deliberate pacing and subtle references to larger compromises in the film do make it a predictable in many parts, but strong performances from Carrey as the down on his luck news reporter, while is girlfriend Grace (Jennifer Aniston) is forever trying to keep Bruce grounded. Then we have God himself, played by none other than Morgan Freeman, who has many a philosophical tale to tell us and inspire the hoard as we watch, it's entertaining but also hold sentimental value, especially when the elegant and almighty voice of Freeman is saying it. The theme of it all really tries to test the selfishness of selflessness of the human psyche, how much would one person do before trying to help others if they has unlimited capabilities? Sure we might indulge a little but when it comes down to it, what would you do. But this is of course coming from a comedy angle, many will simply treat this has a quirky idea for a film, while others will see it as blasphemy for treating the entity of God on such a comical way, but then again, laughter is the language of the soul, and while there are laughs to be had, it misses the mark when trying to be too serious and shifting its tone, while also focusing and relying to much on Jim Carrey's personality. But still an enjoyable and interesting idea all the same Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    For some reason this is my favourite movie in the world I watch it over and over again without getting bored. First of all there's the extremely talented Jim Carrey who never ceases to spread uncontrollable laughter. However his collaboration with the legendary Morgan Freeman makes this a million times better than his other films. The choice of him as God is so convincing that i actually BELIEVE in Morgan Freeman now. If you want to have a good time with your friends this is the movie for you! One does not simply dislike the Carrey comedy... Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm a big Jim Carrey fan and this is up there as one of his very good films, and while not his best its still certainly very funny! As long as not taken too seriously you can kick back and really enjoy it, and it will obviously help if you're a Carrey fan yourself. It's also quite a clever concept never really tried before and while it could offend some I'm sure most wouldn't look into it too much and will see the lighter side to it, so if you haven't seen it check it out Expand
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    This is one of the first Jim Carrey movies i watched! It will have a special place in my heart forever! One of the greatest movie experiences from my childhood!
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    Bruce Almighty could very well be the one film where Jim Carrey gives everything he's got, making a character so over-the-top and goofy that it would go on to be one of his best performances. Not in my eyes. From the first few frames with Jim Carrey's character, I knew this endeavor may not go so well and, sure enough, I was correct. It has taken me a long time to warm to Carrey the same way I've warned to actors such as Jack Black, but his crazy personality is something that has left me quite annoyed in many of his films. Upon seeing it, I was a little disappointed by how bumbling and idiotic both him and Jeff Daniels were in Dumb and Dumber, yet the film now seems to be one of Carrey's stronger works when put under the same light as this film.

To put it simply, this is a tired comedy exercise, unsuccessfully blending its religious premise with slapstick, and tacking on mawkish sentimentality making the last thirty minutes a gooey slog to watch. We follow Bruce Nolan (Jim Carrey), a second-rate reporter for a news station in Buffalo, New York, who has just lost an open anchoring positioning to Evan Baxter (Steve Carell), the conniving, smarmy man who loves one-upping Bruce. Frustrated and angry, Bruce throws a fit while interviewing people at Niagara Falls, costing him his job, which causes him to yell at his wife (Jennifer Aniston) and focus all his blame on God for shifting focus on him.

Bruce then receives persistent pager messages from an unknown number, which he begins to ignore, until caving in and realizing that it requests him to go to a deserted warehouse to meet the one and only God (Morgan Freeman), who tells Bruce that keeping up with several pray requests and helping out so many in need is a difficult job that is often taken advantage of or underappreciated on the grandscale. He then gives Bruce his position, equipping him with all the divine powers (IE: walking on water and possessing the ability to accurately imitate people), and the unprecedented, unearthly responsibility of keeping those in touch with their faith happy and joyous.

But before we get into the sentiment, let's explore the infinite comic possibilities of Jim Carrey being God. In the relative beginning of the film, to end off of Bruce's bad day at work, he is beaten up by a group of local thugs when he attempts to protect a harmless bum. When Bruce now possesses powers, he intimidates the thugs and the one thug makes some sort of comment involving "monkeys flying out of his butt" and you can bet your bottom dollar Bruce makes it happen in a ridiculously unfunny scene that channels the worst comic tendencies of a PG-13 screenplay. It too doesn't help that Bruce's character is an ungrateful man of little charm and so much zaniness that he induces a headache every time his mouth opens.

There's Carrey's hyperactive tendencies, and just the obligatory fact that this story practically extracts every laugh and every tear (there will be audiences, quite possibly those who are religious, but not enough to where they can't laugh at the form of satire) with a premise that basically concocts this very anemic, tired tale of redemption and "putting yourself in the shoes of the person you criticize."

This is the third time director Tom Shadyac and Jim Carrey have collaborated on a film, with the first two being Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Liar Liar. Both films expressed Carrey's style with the same rabble-rousing, uncontrolled behavior this one showcases, but with more of an emphasis on humor and spontaneous enjoyment rather than heavy-handed religious satire. I also learn it took three people to pen this story, Steve Koren, Mark O'Keefe, and Steve Oedekerk. One thing I could've guaranteed from the start, if I knew the writers, was a nice emotional third act, which Koren churned out to his advantage in Click but in a too little, too late fashion in A Thousand Words. Those films centered Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy, respectively, in their madness, where this one victimizes Jim Carrey showing that he can be funny, if taken in smaller doses.

Yet I can see devoted fans of Carrey's anarchic comedy embracing this film with an open mind and a willingness to laugh. There's a larger audience for this film than I can estimate, yet in the small world of satirical comedies with religion in their crosshairs, I can assume why studios aren't cranking out more of them, and I don't believe controversy is the prime reason.

Starring: Jim Carrey, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston, and Philip Baker Hall. Directed by: Tom Shadyac.
  10. Nov 12, 2012
    A funny little film that succeeds due to the combination of a manic Jim Carrey and a sweet and lovable Jen Aniston.
  11. Sep 2, 2012
    Bruce Almighty is a very funny movie. Of course any movie with Jim Carey is going to be hilarious. It mixes seriousness and humor pretty well. Well done.
  12. Sep 2, 2012
    This was a solid film. It was funny and kind of thought provoking. It is also a little bland though. Morgan Freeman is God as far as I am concerned, so he was cast perfectly.
  13. Oct 7, 2011
    This was a very funny movie, I watched it again recently and it still had its fun in it. The best part in the movie was when he used his powers to influence the news anchor into saying the wrong things and doing dumb things.
  14. Oct 3, 2011
    Finally someone remembered to do a movie that demonstrates what we all want when life does not go as we planned. It is a very successful film, both effects, histories and even comedy. I know there's a new movie, but I do not see as only the summary of the film could see how the film would be complete. But since now I'm talking about the Bruce Almighty, the story involves a little bit of everything, greed, anger, love, comedy, and it all mixed by a good director makes a beautiful piece like this. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2010
    When I watch this I laugh all the time! It's really funny. I'm not too sure about Jennifer Aniston though but Jim Carrey is at his best. To me it's a classic.

Aniston, as a sweet kindergarten teacher and fiancee, shows again (after "The Good Girl") that she really will have a movie career.
    Like his (Carrey) early work, it's not a particularly good film -- insipidly staged, inanely plotted, too weak to withstand the weight of any inquiries into logic or continuity -- but Carrey's energetic mugging, particularly early on, makes it relatively painless.
  3. The screenplay doesn't ultimately make much sense. Carrey is a unique comic talent, though, and Freeman and Aniston back him up with such sensitive supporting performances that the film almost works if you can suspend enough disbelief to swallow its fantastic premise.