Bubble Boy

7.7

1. Aug 25, 2010
    The best soundtrack EVER! The best of the strangest comedies in history. I tried to find another movie by the author of Bubble Boy... nothing I could find works as well as this.
    Should be ranked as one of the best comedies (although I know it won't). Too many Napoleon Dynamite fans out there...
  2. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    I will defend this one unto the death. Well, maybe not *death*, but you get the point. I actually laughed out loud while watching it on my own, which doesn't happen often. I really am a sap for the puppy-dog eyes male leads, and this movie just scratches the itch in the hard to reach spot in he middle of my back. Metaphorically speaking, that it.
  3. JasonT.
    Aug 24, 2001
    Very interesting movie that is both funny and somewhat eye-opening. What is crazy is how puzzled you are when you leave the movie. Jake Gylleenhall was phenomenal.
  4. JamieA.
    Apr 18, 2002
    I don't know what those critics are thinking. This movie was one of the greatest movies of all time to me. It used many things that made it funny. I loved this movie!
  5. Thatguy
    Aug 19, 2002
    It's amazing to see how most of these so-called 'critics' took such a far-fetched movie, and actually took it seriously (or thought that the viewing public was stupid enough to take it seriously). Accept this movie for what it is (subversive, low-brow, harmless silliness), and you'll love it. While, admittedly, a bit sophomoric, this was a good attempt at the much It's amazing to see how most of these so-called 'critics' took such a far-fetched movie, and actually took it seriously (or thought that the viewing public was stupid enough to take it seriously). Accept this movie for what it is (subversive, low-brow, harmless silliness), and you'll love it. While, admittedly, a bit sophomoric, this was a good attempt at the much loved Farrelly & Cohen brothers' style of off-the-wall humor. Jake Gyllenhaal shows off great comedy chops after his dark and memorable turn in Donnie Darko. His performance alone is enough to watch this movie, but jump in and look out for great supporting performances and cameos by the likes of comedian, Zach Galifianakis and even cover-boy, Fabio. Expand
  6. J.Waller
    Jan 18, 2003
    This film is VERY very funny, it really is brilliant! Excellent music throughout. Bright and Shiny is superb :)
  7. ChetS.
    Aug 10, 2003
    Worst movie i ever saw! Period.
  8. CamillaA.
    Aug 13, 2003
    My number 1 favourite movie, saw it three times today, and it makes me laugh harder every time. This movie is hilarious and touching at the same time.
  9. KelseyG.
    Jul 11, 2005
    Yah this is the best movie ever!!! I love Jake Gyllenhaal!!!
  10. TomR.
    Mar 24, 2002
    This movie was funny. It has a bad rating because the "PC" people can't relax for an hour and a half and relize that this has little to do with reality. Sit back and laugh at the adventures of a ficticious character.
    Mar 25, 2002
    If people could just watch a movie for entertainment instead of looking for deep meanings in the most trivial of actions they would probably lead happier lives.
  12. HelenF.
    Mar 26, 2002
    Very Very funny!
  13. Lynsey
    Apr 14, 2002
    Did you notice how all the posh stuck up movie critics gave it low marks while us normal people who do not have their pants shoved too far up there ass enjoyed the funny and light hearted side of it?
  14. JackieU.
    Aug 22, 2002
    Way off da scalez!!!! jake gyllenhaal is my favorite actor and he's da hottest 2! i have a cousin that stars in movies like zoolander and meet the parent, but he's not as funny as jake!!!iiiiii loooovvvvveeeeeee uuuuu jjjjakkkkeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~*~*~*~*by:jackie
  15. ChrisK.
    Feb 19, 2003
    Excellent plot and good organization.
  16. Mr.PeepersMorris
    May 19, 2004
    The funniest movie i have ever seen it relates to me on so many different levels "legally youre allowed to cut the vato."
  17. BigK.
    Dec 20, 2005
    Gyllenhall is (in my view) not that great. He picked a winner to star in here though. V.funny.
  18. Samantha
    May 11, 2006
    I Loved this movie. its a true fairytale, and it even has the fairytale ending. its my favourite!
  19. hillary
    May 11, 2006
    This movie ROCKS!
    Aug 29, 2001
    Funny, but not laugh out-loud funny.
  21. Lisa
    Dec 26, 2004
    This movie rocks, an so does jake, the commentry by him is hilarious, i loved the soundtrack as well, all the songs rock rock on jake:D and proof better hurry up lol.
  22. RachaelC.
    Oct 26, 2004
    Why does everyone hate this movie???? I have been to numerous sites and almost everyone says it stinks. What is wrong with the world today???? Don't people know a good movie when they see one???? This movie rocks!! It's sweet and funny all at the same time. What more do you people want???? Plus, it's filled with great actors and actresses. Especially Jake Gyllenhaal. Why does everyone hate this movie???? I have been to numerous sites and almost everyone says it stinks. What is wrong with the world today???? Don't people know a good movie when they see one???? This movie rocks!! It's sweet and funny all at the same time. What more do you people want???? Plus, it's filled with great actors and actresses. Especially Jake Gyllenhaal. I'm telling you, there's not one movie that that guy has made that isn't great. Plus...he's GORGEOUS!!!! Expand
  23. ChadS.
    Nov 22, 2005
    "Bubble Boy" wants to have it both ways; tasteless, with a sweet underpinning, but for this story of a boy with an immunity disorder to really work, the filmmakers needed to be fearless like the people who made the underrated "Pumpkin". To make fun of disabled people is a risky proposition and "Bubble Boy" cops out, choosing rather to make fun of Hinduism and foreign accents. There's "Bubble Boy" wants to have it both ways; tasteless, with a sweet underpinning, but for this story of a boy with an immunity disorder to really work, the filmmakers needed to be fearless like the people who made the underrated "Pumpkin". To make fun of disabled people is a risky proposition and "Bubble Boy" cops out, choosing rather to make fun of Hinduism and foreign accents. There's also a missed opportunity to satirize a certain brand of Christian fundamentalism, the hypocritical kind; which triggered a bout of deja vu, and then I remembered, oh yeah, "Saved", another film that played it too safe. "Bubble Boy" seems more like material for a pre-"Hairspray" John Waters vehicle than a mainstream flick, but it's worth seeing because Jake Gyllenhaal is on the verge of stardom. Maggie's brother is immensely likable, even when he's parroting, "500 dollahs!" Ever Carradine should've played his love interest. Expand
  24. Mar 2, 2011
    One of the best Jake Gyllenhaal movies I ever seen, following Donnie Darko. Great comedy and great acting in the process.

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    The bubble-kid moms can whine all they want, but Bubble Boy is a liberated movie --liberated from tastefulness, of course, but also from logic, suffering, consequence, and temperance.
  2. This is a semi-mean-spirited movie; had it remained that way, it could have redeemed itself.
    When it clicks, the picture should shock you into laughter -- enough to make you wish it were better and applaud its efforts anyway.