6.8

1. Dec 30, 2013
    Bunraku is super fun to watch. I'm not sure why the critics are acting like this should be more realistic or serious, but it's one of only a few times that I greatly disagree with them wholeheartedly. The visuals are obviously mesmerizing but it's the fun of the killers and narrative that made it so enjoyable for me. It's sad that so many people will miss this. I mean who takes a movieBunraku is super fun to watch. I'm not sure why the critics are acting like this should be more realistic or serious, but it's one of only a few times that I greatly disagree with them wholeheartedly. The visuals are obviously mesmerizing but it's the fun of the killers and narrative that made it so enjoyable for me. It's sad that so many people will miss this. I mean who takes a movie serious that has horns and video game sounds when punches happen? Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2012
    Though debuting in 2010 at the Toronto International Film Festival, Bunraku didn
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    This is an interesting movie. I love the intro and the play with lights and music. The story line is good featuring a post-war world-war state that is ruled by swords and fist because guns were outlawed. I thought the fight scenes were nifty and not exaggerated. Overall what really draws me to this movie is the background were they combine lighting and paper montage for building and otherThis is an interesting movie. I love the intro and the play with lights and music. The story line is good featuring a post-war world-war state that is ruled by swords and fist because guns were outlawed. I thought the fight scenes were nifty and not exaggerated. Overall what really draws me to this movie is the background were they combine lighting and paper montage for building and other scenes, for me this was really unique. That and sometimes how the fight and the music seem to be completely in sync. It a good movie that delivers decent entertainment. It won't blow your mind, but I'm sure most will enjoy it. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2012
    I was a true believer in The Harrelson Principle: a steadfast conviction that Woody Harrelson's presence in a movie's cast list was enough to indicate that it was -at the least- worth watching. This bloated turd of a movie has rendered the Harrelson Principle void.
    I beg you, do not watch Bunraku when there are so many good things you could be doing with your time and money.
    Seriously:
    Seriously: the worst movie i have seen this year.
  5. Feb 4, 2012
    Play-like sets. Odd lighting. Interesting storyline. Demi Moore was not put to good use, but it was a very entertaining movie. Predictable, but entertaining.
  6. Nov 19, 2011
    It took me a few minutes to get used to the originality of this movie's imagery, but once I got used to its non-Hollywood way of communicating its ideas and thought-provoking language, I soon realized that it was one of the most unique and interesting movies I had seen in a while, and I watch a lot of movies. In my opinion, this movie is far ahead of its time, inspiring thought about theIt took me a few minutes to get used to the originality of this movie's imagery, but once I got used to its non-Hollywood way of communicating its ideas and thought-provoking language, I soon realized that it was one of the most unique and interesting movies I had seen in a while, and I watch a lot of movies. In my opinion, this movie is far ahead of its time, inspiring thought about the way people choose to live in today's 'numbed-out' society, what principles, ethics and morals we choose to live by, what our motives are behind what we do out in society, among other world issues, or individual struggles, including violence vs non-violence, action vs non-action, ego vs selflessness, independence vs conformity, freedom vs repression, disbandment vs unity, and more. I absolutely loved it. Even though the imagery was simplistic, cartoon-like, and visually stimulating, it occurred to me that perhaps the concept that this film's type of visual expression was attempting to reflect the tone of today's society and the common influences inside of a media-fueled generation. What better way to communicate these thought-provoking ideas than through visually stimulating scenes using action, humor, direct physical conflict, and especially video game-like images and sounds. This is definitely not a movie to watch if all you want to do is numb out on another Hollywood film with a predictable outcome and definitive message. If you are open to it, you will find yourself thinking about your own life and what you want to do with it. Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    Probably the best movie I have seen in a long long time. I found the scene changes slick and general art direction of the movie to be beyond breath taking.
  8. Nov 1, 2011
    Bad-ass Modern Ultra-violence! Great & very fresh idea which most of you would agree with me if you watched this film...it lacks many element. One of the most compelling intros I've seen this year, with humor, fast paced storytelling and very, very stylishly done, what's not to like? But after that the scenes are not that good, it lack intensity. This stylized action film can best beBad-ass Modern Ultra-violence! Great & very fresh idea which most of you would agree with me if you watched this film...it lacks many element. One of the most compelling intros I've seen this year, with humor, fast paced storytelling and very, very stylishly done, what's not to like? But after that the scenes are not that good, it lack intensity. This stylized action film can best be described as an orgy of the following films: part Sin City, part Batman (Adam West era), part Dick Tracy, part The Quick and the Dead, and part Enter the Dragon. Squirt some Cirque du Soleil in there and the resulting love child of all these films is "Bunraku". That's really all I can say. But after all those good description, Acting & Visual Effects and Editing and some intensity is lacking...
    If Q. Tarantino would be directing it for a remake this would be very amazing film to see... Overall not that good film but worthy of your penny.
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    Bunraku is not for everyone. People who are hungry for another slick action movie, may get disappointed by this movie. The movie is set on a dystopian world, where modern & ancient lifestyles cross paths regularly. After the global wars killing millions of people, guns are outlawed and knives & swords are back. 2 men (Josh Hartnett & Gackt) are out to get revenge against the most powerfulBunraku is not for everyone. People who are hungry for another slick action movie, may get disappointed by this movie. The movie is set on a dystopian world, where modern & ancient lifestyles cross paths regularly. After the global wars killing millions of people, guns are outlawed and knives & swords are back. 2 men (Josh Hartnett & Gackt) are out to get revenge against the most powerful man in Atlantic, the Woodcutter. Though having initially disliked each other, they are guided by the wise Bartender (Woody Harrelsen) to team up against the evil reign of the Woodcutter. The plot is simple and sometimes predictable, but makes space for a large number of well-choreographed action sequences. However, each scene has a colorful fantasy-themed dramatic background (probably shot on a Theatre Stage) - which can distract some people from all the tense action happening at front. The uniqueness of this movie is it keeps sending a fantasy vibe through-out, you will either love it or hate it! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Sep 30, 2011
    It should surprise no one that visually quirky, graphic-novelish, pulp-noir action flicks rarely come through the sausage machine intact.
  2. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Sep 30, 2011
    Extremely cool-looking in the manner of "Sin City,'' but clumsily staged, slackly acted and mind-numbingly dull, Israeli director Guy Moshe's English-language fantasy is set in a future when guns, and apparently coherent conversations, have been outlawed.
  3. Reviewed by: Andy Webster
    Sep 29, 2011
    Everything feels secondhand in Guy Moshe's Bunraku, a potpourri of genres that ends up a morass of clich├ęs.