7.4

1. Jul 16, 2013
    A vampire mother and daughter escape to a seaside village, where they struggle to continue their anonymous existence. While mom (Gemma Atherton) establishes a brothel to make money, the daughter (Saoirse Ronan) expresses her desire to tell the truth with lots of flashbacks into their "making." This is not an effects-laden horror flic. They don't have any superhuman powers or even fangs.A vampire mother and daughter escape to a seaside village, where they struggle to continue their anonymous existence. While mom (Gemma Atherton) establishes a brothel to make money, the daughter (Saoirse Ronan) expresses her desire to tell the truth with lots of flashbacks into their "making." This is not an effects-laden horror flic. They don't have any superhuman powers or even fangs. It's a somber drama that takes it's time, but in the hands of director Neil Jordan (The Borgias,The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire) it develops into a compelling climax. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    This movie had a feeling of specialty, it had a whole new world of vampires and their living. Saoirse Ronan is electric.

Beautifully told, the story of Clara and Eleanor's past unfolds on the background of developing young love.
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    If at first you think the story Byzantium tries to tell is a little too thin, it's because it is and Director Neil Jordan tries everything in his arsenal to slow things down but that just makes this unoriginal picture boring as well. When mysterious women Clara (Gemma Arterton) and Eleanor (Saorise Ronan) move to a quiet coastal town they bring with them death and destruction as a shroudedIf at first you think the story Byzantium tries to tell is a little too thin, it's because it is and Director Neil Jordan tries everything in his arsenal to slow things down but that just makes this unoriginal picture boring as well. When mysterious women Clara (Gemma Arterton) and Eleanor (Saorise Ronan) move to a quiet coastal town they bring with them death and destruction as a shrouded in darkness group hunts them for something Clara did years prior. Jordan who previously worked on vampire tale Interview with the Vampire takes a different approach with this story of the blood sucking creatures as it flits from present to past to tell the simplistic and oftentimes pretentious story of these two women. In fact the film spends so much time swapping time periods that the film never builds any momentum and the glimpses into their pasts get less interesting as the film goes on. Byzantium however is more interested in telling a simple story well, an admirable idea but in doing so fail to grip its audience, Jordan does create an interesting world but its one so bleak and miserable that the ending which should real as hopeful is just bizarre. Ronan and Arterton who are stuck with an uninventive script make the most of it and Arterton especially stands out as she makes Clara a tragic yet brutal vixen, a born manipulator whose a real joy to watch when she really gets going, something this film rarely shows, Ronan who is consistently good in everything it seems is memorable as the shy, afraid of her own shadow Eleanor yet the two together lack the kind of chemistry expected meaning a key aspect of the film is missing It's a depressing film with a long arduous run time that did not keep me interested because of its insistence to tell what was ultimately a generic vampire story. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    A fresh take on the vampire movie genre, shown from a more "realistic" perspective. I put that between quotes as this is still a movie about vampires of course. It shows us a story about 2 female vampires that are trying to survive in today's world and all the social conflicts that come with it. Think more 1994's "Interview with a vampire" than 1998's "Blade".
  5. Nov 6, 2013
    Unless you're looking for a fantasy romance like Twilight, Byzantium is a must-watch for those who want to see a different, well thought out take on the genre.
    Whilst this film is rather slow paced, I feel that only enhanced the telling of the story we aren't told everything in one go, and as a result I became more invested in the characters and their stories.
    Overall a good story
    Overall a good story beautifully told.
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    Very good vampire movie. Something I feel isn't said very often anymore. I thought it was very interesting and well done. The acting is good and the story is interesting. I'm really not sure why it took so long for me to hear about because I think it's very good and deserves some attention. Also Gemma Arterton is not hard to watch either.

1. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Jul 11, 2013
    The joke seems to be that in 2013, it’s hard to teach an old bloodsucker new tricks. Still, Byzantium has a few moves that might surprise you. They have nothing to do with blood, but everything to do with the heart.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Jul 4, 2013
    Jordan’s tone is consistently drab and morose, which is fitting enough, but the story drags a bit, bouncing back and forth in time in a manner that is sometimes useful, sometimes not. Overall, though, it’s an intriguing addition to the genre.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Jun 28, 2013
    Neil Jordan’s Byzantium dares to rework “Twilight” with twice the teen moping and Robert Pattinson replaced by a guy with the sexual magnetism of a sickly Ron Weasley.