IFC Films | Release Date: June 28, 2013
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 65 Ratings
WATCH NOW
DellingMay 22, 2016
At last something worth (although different) of Interview with the vampire. Forget special effects, this is mostly about what being a vampire would mean.

A must see.
Meth-dudeNov 12, 2016
The acting was very good, the story was interesting, the visuals were amazing and the movie was bloody. It's one of the best vampire movies I have seen in a long time.
tethysdustNov 9, 2016
A very good vampire movie, which is not a common thing. I liked the focus on the relationship between the mother and daughter, and the ideas on immortality and power.
DQ_SlotkinsJan 10, 2016
Neil Jordan ((The Company of Wolves, Mona Lisa, The Butcher Boy, The Crying Game) does it again. If you've see Company of Wolves then you know what he can do with fantasy. He brings the old world into the new and new twists into the oldNeil Jordan ((The Company of Wolves, Mona Lisa, The Butcher Boy, The Crying Game) does it again. If you've see Company of Wolves then you know what he can do with fantasy. He brings the old world into the new and new twists into the old stories.
It's been great to have three interesting new takes on vampire films over the last handful of years—Byzantium, Only Lovers Left Alive, and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. What fun.
HotelCentralOct 23, 2015
It's about character. It's about how you get by when no one did anything to prepare you for a life measured in centuries. It's about the choices you make and what's right and what's wrong.

This is not Coppola's Dracula. It's not Lestat.

This is not Coppola's Dracula. It's not Lestat. It's not Underworld or Blade. It has more in common with Near Dark and The Addiction in that it's a small story focusing in on fine details. A film best viewed by fans of the genre but not a bad film by any means.
adamjneveSep 7, 2015
A mother and daughter, who happen to be vampires, struggle to maintain anonymity while also struggling with the perils of being a vampire and falling in love. There are a lot of flashbacks to relate the story of the creation of Clara (GemmaA mother and daughter, who happen to be vampires, struggle to maintain anonymity while also struggling with the perils of being a vampire and falling in love. There are a lot of flashbacks to relate the story of the creation of Clara (Gemma Arterton) and her subsequent creation of Eleanor (Saorise Ronan). Eleanor struggles with identity and new love, while Clara struggles with parenting a rebellious teenager and keeping them safe from a looming secret.

It's a beautifully dark and brooding film, which comes as no surprise with Neil Jordan (Interview with a Vampire) at the helm. But where Interview was rich and developed, with drama and tension in the relationships it simmered up over its meandering course, Byzantium is flat, lifeless, and thin for most of its two hour running time, picking up speed and becoming interesting JUST before the credits roll.

Despite good casting, good performances, excellent cinematography, and a cool vampire mythos, there just isn't enough story here to drive a movie. If you're really into vampires you might dig it. Otherwise, you'll be fine without.
LeZeeJul 17, 2015
The way I wanted like the old days, great!

The way I wanted like the old days, great!

An Irish vampire movie, thus back to where the vampires were originated. There are no good vampire movies these days, all those are teen target products which are simply a fantasy flick. In the old days, its horror and terrifying ugly giant beasts, the werewolves were, but in the todays movies they are adorable giant wolves. It's either vampire movie or werewolf, the result is same. 'Twilight' or 'Vampire Academy' and others, just not my type, though watch them for entertainment and to keep up-to-date.

The reason I watched it is for Saoirse Ronan, because I like her. But Gemma Arterton has been so good like always. To me this is what called a vampire movie. Of course, themes should vary from a movie to another, that does not mean one can completely abandon the basic theory. Neo-gothic is one of that, the present filmmakers forgets, because that kind of set-up gives Dracula effect. This film has been just like everything I wanted, so I enjoyed every bit.

It is always great to see a movie that portrays the world over the span of 100 or more years. As usual survival and hiding the identity is the main intention for the concept. But from who (other than humans) and why is the suspense that reveals formally at the right time. If you like 'We're the Nights', then this is the right one to pick. But not great as 'Interview with the Vampire' was, in fact, it was directed by the same director.

7.5/10
Longo12Feb 15, 2014
Very good vampire movie. Something I feel isn't said very often anymore. I thought it was very interesting and well done. The acting is good and the story is interesting. I'm really not sure why it took so long for me to hear about because IVery good vampire movie. Something I feel isn't said very often anymore. I thought it was very interesting and well done. The acting is good and the story is interesting. I'm really not sure why it took so long for me to hear about because I think it's very good and deserves some attention. Also Gemma Arterton is not hard to watch either. Expand
kmtonerNov 6, 2013
Unless you're looking for a fantasy romance like Twilight, Byzantium is a must-watch for those who want to see a different, well thought out take on the genre.
Whilst this film is rather slow paced, I feel that only enhanced the telling of
Whilst this film is rather slow paced, I feel that only enhanced the telling of the story we aren't told everything in one go, and as a result I became more invested in the characters and their stories.
Overall a good story beautifully told.
hoops2448Sep 3, 2013
If at first you think the story Byzantium tries to tell is a little too thin, it's because it is and Director Neil Jordan tries everything in his arsenal to slow things down but that just makes this unoriginal picture boring as well. WhenIf at first you think the story Byzantium tries to tell is a little too thin, it's because it is and Director Neil Jordan tries everything in his arsenal to slow things down but that just makes this unoriginal picture boring as well. When mysterious women Clara (Gemma Arterton) and Eleanor (Saorise Ronan) move to a quiet coastal town they bring with them death and destruction as a shrouded in darkness group hunts them for something Clara did years prior. Jordan who previously worked on vampire tale Interview with the Vampire takes a different approach with this story of the blood sucking creatures as it flits from present to past to tell the simplistic and oftentimes pretentious story of these two women. In fact the film spends so much time swapping time periods that the film never builds any momentum and the glimpses into their pasts get less interesting as the film goes on. Byzantium however is more interested in telling a simple story well, an admirable idea but in doing so fail to grip its audience, Jordan does create an interesting world but its one so bleak and miserable that the ending which should real as hopeful is just bizarre. Ronan and Arterton who are stuck with an uninventive script make the most of it and Arterton especially stands out as she makes Clara a tragic yet brutal vixen, a born manipulator whose a real joy to watch when she really gets going, something this film rarely shows, Ronan who is consistently good in everything it seems is memorable as the shy, afraid of her own shadow Eleanor yet the two together lack the kind of chemistry expected meaning a key aspect of the film is missing It's a depressing film with a long arduous run time that did not keep me interested because of its insistence to tell what was ultimately a generic vampire story. Expand
forTheNomAug 20, 2013
A fresh take on the vampire movie genre, shown from a more "realistic" perspective. I put that between quotes as this is still a movie about vampires of course. It shows us a story about 2 female vampires that are trying to survive in today'sA fresh take on the vampire movie genre, shown from a more "realistic" perspective. I put that between quotes as this is still a movie about vampires of course. It shows us a story about 2 female vampires that are trying to survive in today's world and all the social conflicts that come with it. Think more 1994's "Interview with a vampire" than 1998's "Blade". Expand
30laAug 15, 2013
This movie had a feeling of specialty, it had a whole new world of vampires and their living. Saoirse Ronan is electric.

Beautifully told, the story of Clara and Eleanor's past unfolds on the background of developing young love.
TVJerryJul 16, 2013
A vampire mother and daughter escape to a seaside village, where they struggle to continue their anonymous existence. While mom (Gemma Atherton) establishes a brothel to make money, the daughter (Saoirse Ronan) expresses her desire to tellA vampire mother and daughter escape to a seaside village, where they struggle to continue their anonymous existence. While mom (Gemma Atherton) establishes a brothel to make money, the daughter (Saoirse Ronan) expresses her desire to tell the truth with lots of flashbacks into their "making." This is not an effects-laden horror flic. They don't have any superhuman powers or even fangs. It's a somber drama that takes it's time, but in the hands of director Neil Jordan (The Borgias,The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire) it develops into a compelling climax. Expand