Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: November 24, 2017
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 737 Ratings
Watch Now
MooseSpoonDec 4, 2017
It's an introduction to normalizing pedophilia. While the movie isn't terrible, it doesn't change the fact it's about an underaged boy. If it was about an underaged girl and an older man, people would flip out.
Cookierow7Jan 2, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I read many enthusiastic reviews so I saw this movie yesterday. What a disappointment I cannot begin to say! The only redeeming quality was the cinematography and even then, there are many more beautiful sites in Italy. The actor playing the grad student looked older than his 31 years and all I could think of was statutory rape of a teenager. The father is lauded for being so liberal? Wouldn't he change his attitude if his daughter was involved with a man twice her age, a la Roy Moore? I never bought into the immense attractiveness of the grad student. He seemed an arrogant, condescending **** hole. The ugly American abroad. Is the message of the movie just follow your desires come what may? I didn't buy the romance at all. What about the girl he is having intercourse with? What about condoms in this day and age? Yikes! No character is concerned with anyone else, except the mother. and the girl friend. Is this the type of movie that's getting all the accolades this year? The dialogue is stilted, the music corny and interfering. And the scene with the plum, ugh. Sorry folks, I found the whole thing pretty awful! Expand
TansdenFeb 19, 2018
A well crafted movie, no doubt. However, if a male, college graduate student visited a high school and seduced a senior class, female student, we'd all probably take exception to the abusive, immoral nature of the scenario.

Why then is this

Why then is this movie applauded? Because it is two gay people? Because it is set in romantic and picturesque Italy?

There are plenty of movies made that are of questionable nature. That's a good thing as it falls in line with freedom of expression. That Hollywood and media critics have lauded this particular movie however - that's a problem. Hypocritical too, in light of the #MeToo movement.

So, it gets a zero.
swingJan 2, 2018
Not very entertaining or emotive for me. It was pretty boring. Basically a story about nothing except a how 17 year old boy is attracted to a 20 something man. The dialogue is boring and sadly, for Italy, there is little or no gorgeousNot very entertaining or emotive for me. It was pretty boring. Basically a story about nothing except a how 17 year old boy is attracted to a 20 something man. The dialogue is boring and sadly, for Italy, there is little or no gorgeous scenery. Spoiler alert.

The young boy pissed me off by having intercourse with a young girl his age two times, then immediately dumps her to be with the boy he was attracted to in the first place. I felt the parents of the boy were totally unrealistic as well. Not one ounce of humor in the movie. Good acting, but eh.
BHBarryJan 28, 2018
“Call Me By Your Name” stars Arnie Hammer, Timothee Chalamet and Michael Stuhlberg in this film directed by Luca Guadagnino. This is basically the story of a 17 year old boy and an older male house guest of his parents who, together, bond in“Call Me By Your Name” stars Arnie Hammer, Timothee Chalamet and Michael Stuhlberg in this film directed by Luca Guadagnino. This is basically the story of a 17 year old boy and an older male house guest of his parents who, together, bond in an intense romantic relationship. Filmed on location in Italy, this is a wonderful travelogue and visual description of the beautiful town in which all of the scenes take place and the outstanding cinemaphotography must be acknowledged. Unfortunately, that is where the depth and beauty of the picture ends. There is basically no story save the love the two lead characters find with each other and taking 2 hours and 12 minutes is too long a period of time to tell it. Against the tide of so many positive reviews, all of which I cannot understand, I give this film a 2.0 and suggest that many will find the film as boring and tedious as I did. Expand
SuperMax156Dec 13, 2017
A film about pederasty which romanticises the act of grooming a young boy for pedophilia. Hollywood, the home of rape and molestation is a class act. Avoid at all costs.
GreatMartinDec 22, 2017
This is a very hard review for me to write as I am a pushover, a sucker, an incurable romantic for love stories especially one that may be about a gay couple so I was looking forward to “Call Me by Your Name”. I’ve read nothing but ravesThis is a very hard review for me to write as I am a pushover, a sucker, an incurable romantic for love stories especially one that may be about a gay couple so I was looking forward to “Call Me by Your Name”. I’ve read nothing but raves about the film when in film festivals and it has been nominated for the Golden Globe and sure to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Film.

The acting, as reported, is very good with a few minor quibbles but that mainly has to do with the story, the scenery in Northern Italy is at times breathtaking and at other times quiet, serene while the musical soundtrack at times can be jarring here and there.

While there is good chemistry between Armie Hammer, playing 24-year-old Oliver, and Timothee Chalamet as 17-year-old Elio the much-needed passion that is written and hinted about isn’t there in the writing. The former has been hired as a summer intern to the latter’s father, an archaeology professor, Mr. Perlman played by Michael Stuhlbarg.

While the main story is about Elio, a very well rounded educated, piano playing, multilingual youngster, coming of age that is experiencing sexual confusion, Oliver is the very handsome, sexy, sexual, amiable stranger who Elio is attracted to.

The main failure of the movie, surprisingly enough, is James Ivory who has written and directed movies that showed sexiness and sex in more rounded, physical, explicit and meaningfulness, such as “Maurice”, than in the screenplay he has written for this film. To a certain extent he is aided and abetted by the director Luca Guadannino.

In a 131 minute film there are, maybe, about 30 moving minutes, one that is funny involving a peach, another of Timothee Chalamant in a silent, moving, several minutes in length headshot and one startling, emotionally involving monologue by Michael Stuhlbarg along with maybe 30 minutes of scenery.

“Call Me by Your Name” is rated R for some hinted at sex, some language and except for Stuhlbarg’s moving, brilliant monologue it was mainly a big disappointment to me.
kittenfoodFeb 12, 2018
Of gay movies I've seen, this has to be the least romantic portrayal between two characters. These guys didn't seem to have any connection that led them into the romance. The tired storyline of two straight-type males finding some sort ofOf gay movies I've seen, this has to be the least romantic portrayal between two characters. These guys didn't seem to have any connection that led them into the romance. The tired storyline of two straight-type males finding some sort of lust towards each other, usually through some sort of buddy-buddy brother-type relationship. It's getting so old. I was so tired of this movie by the time they finally got together. And when they did, I knew the story wasn't going to go anywhere...and of course it didn't.

I'll give 2 points for the only good part of the film, the dialogue between dad and son at the end of the film. But, a good monologue does not make a movie. I agree with The New Yorker's review of this film. Not character driven by any means.
max3290Mar 16, 2018
If you are an average movie watcher, steer clear of this movie. It's slow, overly long, and filled with pretentious douchebags. There is no reason this movie should have been nominated for an academy award.
FortifierFeb 14, 2018
This is not a movie about true love; it is a film that reflects the Ancient Greek pederasty practices that historians certainly do not recall with awe and beauty. It is because this film attempts to normalize pedophilia that I would neverThis is not a movie about true love; it is a film that reflects the Ancient Greek pederasty practices that historians certainly do not recall with awe and beauty. It is because this film attempts to normalize pedophilia that I would never recommend it to anyone. Expand
GuardrailMar 27, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I chose to see this film based upon Metacritic ratings and having seen Armie Hammer in Clint Eastwood's movie J. Edgar. He was fantastic in that film, and the film itself was also quite good. This new film however, is a phony. It's absolutely contrived and pretentious. There's no love to be found in the relationship between the young Elio and Hammer. And there's nothing believable about either character because they don't act or develop in any way -- we just see their breasts, body hair, etc., in close-up and listen to a lot of cheap, inauthentic pickup-bar talk from Hammer as he slowly tricks the boy. Hammer's character "Oliver" is a fraud.

The whole thing is no more than the story of a sexual predator manipulating a young boy, and a bunch of silly everything-else, none of which matters to the story. The gutless Michael Stuhlbarg character (the boy's father) is used in the end to bookend a long, tiring and otherwise linear expose' to nowhere. What he says to his son is compassionate, I'll give it that, in a context-less way, but is not enough to redeem the film or rationalize the abuse. And if in thinking about seeing this film the word Italy grabbed you, you've been conned. Nothing Cinema Paradiso or Il Postino here. It's a waste of Italy. The boy's parents, their existence, incidental characters, the Italian landscape, are just prop pieces there to rationalize a vulgar, valueless story of abuse. Who cares about the landscape if you're worried about a young boy in the hands of a predator. My date and I grew uncomfortable with the extensive camera shots of the boy - his body parts, masturbation scenes, etc., which continued throughout the film. At one point, he ejaculates into a peach (which he has used as a sex toy), and then Oliver comes and drinks the contents. We are then asked to interpret Elio's attempt to stop Oliver from doing this as Elio's desire for love and not mere use as a sex object by Oliver. This silly scene has been heralded by critics as monumental, cinematic progress, the finest scene in film, etc., but I think for most of us, it was where we lost hope for the boy, and for the film itself. Perhaps the film is some kind of twisted meditation on lust versus love, and as to how the lust-predator person abuses the heart (and trust) of the love person. Certainly this is what transpires. Maybe this is why the critics love it. Or are the critics themselves lost in the twist themselves? Abuse is abuse. It is not love. Lust, we all experience. The audience is asked to view it all as a love story, but it is not. Walking out to my car, my date fully disgusted, I recalled feelings from earlier in my life when I might have been less tolerant -- a consciousness, a remembrance of angry gays hell-bent on force-normalizing their rationalization of lust on people they insist upon offending. A reaction, a step backwards for me personally to think in these terms, and I paid $26 for it.
1234567890aAApr 16, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The critics and actors alike lauded this film for not being a stereotypical gay film, for not including an element of tragedy. However, not all great gay movies contain an element of tragedy, just big Hollywood films... and this was definitely NOT a great gay movie. Poorly cast (Oliver is 24, Armie Hammer looks like he's in his mid-30's), no character development, zero sexual tension/romantic relationship development prior to the Elio's cock grab, no story, no balance... the first half of the movie fails to properly set up the second half (which i'm sure is quite beautiful on its own, as after an hour I thought 'this is utter **** and watched Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss instead). Expand