7.8

1. Mar 4, 2014
    Philip Seymour Hoffman's greatest performance. His characterization of the famed writer is so uncanny that I still marvel at it. If that would be his only Oscar, let it be that one. The rest of the movie trails behind him, but delivers enough to satisfy and still stay with the plot and the acting. Clifton Collins Jr. also played well. Certainly overlooked, but by an amazing actor.
  2. Dec 6, 2013
    Just absolutely brilliant. Philip Seymour Hoffman is impeccable as Truman Capote, as well as the rest of the cast. Director Bennett Miller sure has a knack for biopics, as both this as "Moneyball" are amazing works. With this film, it is most certainly slow and it took a bit to hook me in, but once I was hooked, I was two feet in until the end.
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    Great film! Very slow, but once the story gets going, it grips you hard and never lets you go. Philip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely perfect and gives one the best male performances I've seen. A truly devastating performance and one that certainly solidifies him as one of the all-time greats (no surprise really).One of the absolute best films of 05.
  4. May 31, 2013
    It is almost unbelievable how remarkable and convincing Hoffman's performance is, and while the material is dry and drags one too many times, it is an elegant drama about operating in "cold blood" so to speak about the murderers themselves and Capote's tactics of achieving his own agenda.
  5. Dec 28, 2011
    Philip Seymour Hoffman gives one of the greatest on screen performances of recent years. Truman Capote's flamboyancy is well apparent and his flaws are as visible as a deep scar. The journey is a sad one, but ultimately brings to light, the price and desire of greatness, even when it means the death of a fellow man.
  6. Sep 7, 2011
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a phenomenal actor and he does a great job with what he's given in this movie. That is the only redeeming quality. This movie isn't funny, suspensful, scary, dramatic, or anything like that. It has no action. It has almost no plot. It was so boring that after 50 minutes I had absolutely no reason to finish it. I suppose if you're a die-hard biopic fan, then you might get something out of this. Expand

Capote is a movie that doesn't pull its punches. It's a knockout.
  2. Capote represents something unique in cinema.…Most eye-catching for critics and audiences in the weeks to come will be Philip Seymour Hoffman's brilliant metamorphosis into the persona of the late author.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Hoffman and the film are terrific. Supported by the eminent Catherine Keener (as author Harper Lee) and Chris Cooper (as detective Alvin Dewey), Hoffman begins with a dead-on impersonation of Capote that soon becomes a kind of channeling as the audience comes to see this American tragedy through his eyes.