7.9

1. Sep 3, 2014
    I've long admired the writings of Truman Capote (especially In Cold Blood). What Bennett Miller is able to accomplish is an extraordinary feat. Documenting Capote as he writes his infamous piece of non-fiction, we are guided in suspense by Dan Futterman's incredible script. Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives the finest performance of the year!
  2. Sep 7, 2011
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a phenomenal actor and he does a great job with what he's given in this movie. That is the only redeeming quality. This movie isn't funny, suspensful, scary, dramatic, or anything like that. It has no action. It has almost no plot. It was so boring that after 50 minutes I had absolutely no reason to finish it. I suppose if you're a die-hard biopic fan, then youPhillip Seymour Hoffman is a phenomenal actor and he does a great job with what he's given in this movie. That is the only redeeming quality. This movie isn't funny, suspensful, scary, dramatic, or anything like that. It has no action. It has almost no plot. It was so boring that after 50 minutes I had absolutely no reason to finish it. I suppose if you're a die-hard biopic fan, then you might get something out of this. Expand
  3. Dec 28, 2011
    Philip Seymour Hoffman gives one of the greatest on screen performances of recent years. Truman Capote's flamboyancy is well apparent and his flaws are as visible as a deep scar. The journey is a sad one, but ultimately brings to light, the price and desire of greatness, even when it means the death of a fellow man.
  4. May 31, 2013
    It is almost unbelievable how remarkable and convincing Hoffman's performance is, and while the material is dry and drags one too many times, it is an elegant drama about operating in "cold blood" so to speak about the murderers themselves and Capote's tactics of achieving his own agenda.
  5. Dec 6, 2013
    Just absolutely brilliant. Philip Seymour Hoffman is impeccable as Truman Capote, as well as the rest of the cast. Director Bennett Miller sure has a knack for biopics, as both this as "Moneyball" are amazing works. With this film, it is most certainly slow and it took a bit to hook me in, but once I was hooked, I was two feet in until the end.
  6. Jun 7, 2013
    Great film! Very slow, but once the story gets going, it grips you hard and never lets you go. Philip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely perfect and gives one the best male performances I've seen. A truly devastating performance and one that certainly solidifies him as one of the all-time greats (no surprise really).One of the absolute best films of 05.
  7. Mar 4, 2014
    Philip Seymour Hoffman's greatest performance. His characterization of the famed writer is so uncanny that I still marvel at it. If that would be his only Oscar, let it be that one. The rest of the movie trails behind him, but delivers enough to satisfy and still stay with the plot and the acting. Clifton Collins Jr. also played well. Certainly overlooked, but by an amazing actor.
  8. Aug 10, 2014
    Capote is a spectacle of a movie. Without Mr. Hoffman's Oscar-winning performance, the film is an average period piece with nice atmosphere and a strong supporting cast that i would've given a 7.5/10 for, but nothing to marvel at. However, with Phil in the central role, the film turns into a masterpiece. His mannerisms, his swagger, and especially his voice have all been mastered byCapote is a spectacle of a movie. Without Mr. Hoffman's Oscar-winning performance, the film is an average period piece with nice atmosphere and a strong supporting cast that i would've given a 7.5/10 for, but nothing to marvel at. However, with Phil in the central role, the film turns into a masterpiece. His mannerisms, his swagger, and especially his voice have all been mastered by Hoffman beyond belief. He didn't just play Truman Capote, he WAS Truman Capote. Many films have tried to reach the heights this one did (ahem ahem Infamous one year later ahem ahem), however they can never overtake this wonderful, deep, dark piece of filmmaking that should've beaten out Crash at the Oscars for Best Picture. Expand

Capote is a movie that doesn't pull its punches. It's a knockout.
  2. Capote represents something unique in cinema.…Most eye-catching for critics and audiences in the weeks to come will be Philip Seymour Hoffman's brilliant metamorphosis into the persona of the late author.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Hoffman and the film are terrific. Supported by the eminent Catherine Keener (as author Harper Lee) and Chris Cooper (as detective Alvin Dewey), Hoffman begins with a dead-on impersonation of Capote that soon becomes a kind of channeling as the audience comes to see this American tragedy through his eyes.