7.2

1. Jun 15, 2016
    AMERICA! **** YAH! COMING TO SAVE THE MOTHA ****ING DAY YAH! AMERICA! **** YAH! FREEDOM IS THE TO OUR PEACE YAH!............................captain AMERICA! **** YAH!
  2. May 8, 2016
    The first installment of the Captain America franchise! The First Avenger was a very interesting film as it has a very compellig storyline of Steve Rogers forming into Captain America. It's directed by the director of the god-awful Jurassic Park 3. In this film, he manages to learn from his mistakes and create something that actually makes sense; as well as Chris Evans. He learned from hisThe first installment of the Captain America franchise! The First Avenger was a very interesting film as it has a very compellig storyline of Steve Rogers forming into Captain America. It's directed by the director of the god-awful Jurassic Park 3. In this film, he manages to learn from his mistakes and create something that actually makes sense; as well as Chris Evans. He learned from his performance as the Human Torch in Fantastic Four and also created something that makes sense. He basically owns the role of Captain America as I can't imagine any one else that can replace him.

The problems I have with the film are simple. The way they portrayed the World War II era was a little less horrifying than it actually was -- even though this is historical fiction. In addition, the antagonist, The Red Skull, was kind-of a noticable cliché. He didn't seem to have any moments that were off the charts; they were just... basic!

Rating: 6/10

D = 1.5
    D- = 1
    F = 0
  3. May 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was also worried about how the Captain America movie would turn out since his previous film was very lack luster. Fortunatey this film exceeded my expectations. This is set in the time of World War Two when America is trying to fight a sub operation of Nazis called Hydras and only Captain America can stop them. The origin in the comics lacked any kind of emotional impact but that has been fixed with the film rendition with Captain America played by Chris Evans. He adds a sense of humanity to the good Captain which was lacking in the comics and he is the perfect representation of the American Ideals. The beginning when Steve Rogers was a weakling gave way to some impressive computer effects. As is typical of a Marvel production, the strongest point is the interactions with the characters especially his relationship with Agent Carter and Bucky Barnes. Hugo Weaving plays a great rendition of the Red Skull as once again he represents the hero's polar opposite. It is a battle against Allies freedom vs Axis tyranny. Those who are history buffs might be disappointed since it barely talks about the politics of the war but it is really a summer block buster which was meant to be a fun time. This is not "Saving Private Ryan" here. The film has some impressive action scenes and it even plays around with the idea of using Captain America as a tool of propaganda who evolves into the war hero he was meant to be.The best scene in the film though was the ending after Captain America was wakes up after being frozen in ice. The way the sequence was shot with long takes, the 360 spin, and some medium close ups conveys a sense of loss when he realizes that he is no longer in his time. This film is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2016
    WHAT I LIKE: It's a real back to basics classic Superhero film, 'Captain America' is a real classic. Perhaps most shockingly, the WW2 theme really works here - certainly being more authentic than many expected. What's more is there's a genuinely emotional part at the end that provokes a very rare sadness amongst a Marvel audience. Think it's all gone soft, though, and you'd be wrong,WHAT I LIKE: It's a real back to basics classic Superhero film, 'Captain America' is a real classic. Perhaps most shockingly, the WW2 theme really works here - certainly being more authentic than many expected. What's more is there's a genuinely emotional part at the end that provokes a very rare sadness amongst a Marvel audience. Think it's all gone soft, though, and you'd be wrong, because Johnston packs this full of well-choreographed action scenes and exciting moments that make this a film to remember.
    WHAT I DON'T LIKE: It's not the most mature affair if I'm honest!
    VERDICT: This is a classic Superhero film with a touch of emotion and thrilling action. Phase 1's best solo film? Quite possibly.
  5. Apr 29, 2016
    While 'Captain America: The First Avenger' suffers from some retro style chliches, it's still a thrill ride of an entertaining superhero action movie, and once again, another worthy addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The movie stars Chris Evans (from 'Fantastic Four' fame) as Steve Rogers, this skinny little man from Brooklyn who believes that he is more than people tell him that he is. He wants to join and fight in the war, but is not physically suitable to do so. That is, until he meets Doctor Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) who is testing out his latest experiment with a young Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) who plans on making Steve into a sort of super soldier.

We also meet the evil Johann Schmidt aka "The Red Skull" (Hugo Weaving), who runs a secret Nazi-like base named Hydra. He steals the tesseract, and plans on using its power, and also plans on bombing different cities across.

Hayley Atwell (looking gorgeous, as to be expected) plays Agent Peggy Carter who grows an attachment to Steve, and can see that after the process of giving him superior human, physical abilities, she understands that Steve has a purpose to serve in the war.

The movie looks great, and is written very well, we can understand the characters' motivations and the plot easily. The movie moves as a very quick pace as well, never slowing down and always showing one thing after another. The only problems that occur is that the villain is pretty cartoon-ish, there is no sense of threat that comes from him, and a lot of "Captain America's" best moments are mainly done through montage, so there is just nothing but highlights of what he did during the war.

Other than that, this is a rock-solid, full-blooded, and very entertaining Marvel movie. Evans, who previously played the cocky and comedic Human Torch in 'Fantastic Four' (2005), proves to be very fleshed out as the self-righteous Captain America. This is a movie made for Marvel fans...
  6. Apr 22, 2016
    I hated the way this movie actually started, it's so freaking slow! It's slow and doesn't feel like it's building up to anything. Suddenly everything is just thrown at me and I had no idea what is happening. Fortunately the movie feels a lot better after we actually get the real Captain America and the movie becomes pretty fun to watch, though not without some predictable plot twists andI hated the way this movie actually started, it's so freaking slow! It's slow and doesn't feel like it's building up to anything. Suddenly everything is just thrown at me and I had no idea what is happening. Fortunately the movie feels a lot better after we actually get the real Captain America and the movie becomes pretty fun to watch, though not without some predictable plot twists and some love cliches thrown at you randomly as the third act progresses. And the villain of the movie? Well I seriously laughed when I first saw it. It looks so retarded lol and we are supposed to feel that he's a bad guy that wants to destroy everything. Didn't feel like a villain at all. But as for the action and acting, it's good. Expand
  7. Apr 17, 2016
    Since my last time that the new Captain America movie could be the lamest superhero ever, and I'm saying "Come on that's not gonna be good for best superheroes like The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, or Iron Man." So I take a chance to watch this movie, and I have to say that this movie was very good with huge CG effects with lots of pulp descent action film. The CG effects are pretty amazingSince my last time that the new Captain America movie could be the lamest superhero ever, and I'm saying "Come on that's not gonna be good for best superheroes like The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, or Iron Man." So I take a chance to watch this movie, and I have to say that this movie was very good with huge CG effects with lots of pulp descent action film. The CG effects are pretty amazing that sometimes it could be handy like creating worlds with atmosphere, instead watching CGI in people on their faces. The actor who played Captain America (Chris Evans) was very good and that's a perfect choice for the superhero. The characters are well acted and I enjoy watching that villain named Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) was dark and very cruelty that he did best villain as Agent Smith in The Matrix Trilogy. The background is neat and the visual looks amazing, of course that I didn't see it in 3D, but I recommend that see it in 2D if you can. Captain America is a solid summer blockbuster hit for the best comic book movie that could attach to my top of X-Men: First Class and more changeling than Transformers 3 that it didn't look too good (of course it stinks!), but very good. Expand
  8. Apr 15, 2016
    While the beginning is kind of boring, and the costume isn't the greatest, it still features a great origin story, along with chris evins playing as a great captain America.
  9. Apr 14, 2016
    This was surprisingly uninteresting and irritating. A bunch of friends who saw this with me all found it disappointing. We watched the Avengers a couple of days later and all loved it so we aren't all negative.
  10. Mar 21, 2016
    Captain America shows how does someody could become a real hero, on real war and real world, mixing ficiont with the true story of the Second World War. Marvel fans will love this film.
  11. Mar 20, 2016
    It's fair to say that superhero saturation has set in. Not many years ago, every cinematic version of a comic book protagonist's adventures was awaited with baited breath. Now, because of an unceasing and sometimes careless flood of such titles, mainstream audiences have become apathetic, leaving it to die-hards to pack theaters on opening weekends. Captain America is the latest in aIt's fair to say that superhero saturation has set in. Not many years ago, every cinematic version of a comic book protagonist's adventures was awaited with baited breath. Now, because of an unceasing and sometimes careless flood of such titles, mainstream audiences have become apathetic, leaving it to die-hards to pack theaters on opening weekends. Captain America is the latest in a seemingly endless line of origin stories and the last of The Avengers prequels. Despite being the most venerable character in Marvel's line-up (he first appeared in 1941), Captain America is not a member of the vaunted A-list. In fact, were it not for his participation in The Avengers, one wonders whether the World War II patriot would have made it to the screen.

Although most of Captain America transpires in the 1940s, it is bookended by modern-day scenes that serve little purpose beyond setting up The Avengers. That's one thing that has been increasingly annoying about the recent batch of Marvel movies - The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor - they seem less like stand-alone motion pictures than advertisements for The Avengers. Captain America may be the worst offender. The whole purpose of telling Captain America's origin story is so that when he appears in The Avengers, he will have a background. (Joss Whedon, director of The Avengers, allegedly had limited input to the Captain America script.)

Captain America falls into the prevalent pitfalls of origin stories. So much time and effort is expended explaining how the protagonist gains his super-powers (and exploring his initial usage of them) that there's not enough opportunity to develop a compelling storyline beyond his "baptism." Then there's the issue of the main villain, Captain America's classic adversary Red Skull, who comes across as a James Bond-type take-over-the-world megalomaniac and isn't given a lot to do except exude over-the-top nastiness. The final confrontation is disappointing, lacking scope and energy. As bad as the Transformers movies are, at least Michael Bay thinks big.

The CGI work, it must be said, is at times exceptional, believably transforming actor Chris Evans into 90-pound weakling Steve Rogers. In fact, the computer enhancements are so good that I couldn't determine whether they were also used to "beef up" Rogers after he undergoes the treatment that transforms him into bulky, hunky Captain America. As best I can tell, no special effects are needed for Hayley Atwell (who plays Rogers' love interest, Agent Peggy Carter), Sebastian Stan (Rogers' best friend and later Captain America's sidekick, Bucky Barnes), or Tommy Lee Jones (Captain America's commanding officer, Col. Chester Phillips). Jones is as fun as ever, using his familiar crusty personality to its best advantage. Visual chicanery comes into play with Hugo Weaving, whose Red Skull looks like something out of the Star Wars cantina.

The thing that differentiates Captain America from the umpteen other superheroes who have trodden across screens this summer is that the action takes place neither on modern-day Earth nor in outer space. In this case, we get a period piece - a re-imagination of some of what went on behind the scenes in the struggle against the Nazis.

irector Joe Johnston uses a similar aesthetic here to the one he applied to The Rocketeer, another comic-inspired period piece. Despite the different characters and subject matter, the movies are peas in a pod. Having seen the movie in 2-D, I can't comment on whether the 3-D version compromises Johnson's use of slightly muted colors and carefully modulated lighting, but it's a good bet. 3-D is useful only when it comes to a "wow!" factor; it's putrid for subtleties like the ones employed by Johnston. (This is yet another post-production 3-D conversion.)

Comic book fans are likely to appreciate Captain America, which does a good job of consolidating the disparate origin aspects of the character into something easily digestible. Non-comic fans may have to fight the urge to stifle a yawn. There's nothing in Captain America worthy or praise or derision. It's a competently made, straightforward yarn that has little to offer those who are not already on the bandwagon. Anyone willing to sit through the lengthy end credits will be rewarded by a short, unrevealing teaser for The Avengers. It's a reminder of what Captain America is all about: getting audiences primed for one of 2012's big events rather than providing something memorable for 2011.
  12. Mar 6, 2016
    El perfecto preámbulo para algo grande, la fui a ver ya que había un primer avance de eso, aparte mostraba más del objeto que apareció al final de Thor, hubo una cola larga, pero valió la pena la espera, la película es mejor que las dos de Iron Man y narra uno de los mejores origenes de súperhéroes de todos, de un joven con físico débil, pero con un valor fuerte que quiere servir a su paísEl perfecto preámbulo para algo grande, la fui a ver ya que había un primer avance de eso, aparte mostraba más del objeto que apareció al final de Thor, hubo una cola larga, pero valió la pena la espera, la película es mejor que las dos de Iron Man y narra uno de los mejores origenes de súperhéroes de todos, de un joven con físico débil, pero con un valor fuerte que quiere servir a su país en tiempos de guerra, por eso fue elegido para un experimento que hace que su físico esté a la par de su valor, me encanta la ambientación histórica en la que está, mezcla muy bien la realidad con la ficción del personaje, que fue creado para inspirar en tiempos tan terribles como la Segunda Guerra Mundial, tiene grandes efectos especiales, aparte me gusta mucho los elementos de ciencia ficción que tiene, sobre todas esas armas láser, lo hacen mejor que la película de 1990, que tenía bajo presupuesto y tenía una historia rídicula, me sorprendí que Chris Evans sería quién interpretaría a este íconico personaje y lo bordó muy bien me hace olvidar que una vez fue cierto personaje de Marvel "fogoso", Tommy Lee Jones siendo como es, me encantó su actuación, Hugo Weaving, como el antagonista, algo típico de él, lo hace tal cual es el personaje en el material fuente, Hayley Atwell, ha demostrado ser otro personaje femenino fuerte y a la vez interés amoroso del héroe, impresionante, he sentido esta película como si fuera una de Indiana Jones y a la vez del género de supérhéroes, eso se debe a que el director ha trabajado con Steven Spielberg, ha aprendido mucho en la industria e hizo un buen producto, para terminar esta película ha sido mejor que las 4 entregas previas de Marvel Studios, no entiendo porque la gente la nota aburrida sólo por que está ambientada en tiempos más sencillos, si está espectacular y narra una historia de valor a pesar de las advercidades, el Capitán América no sólo representa a EUA, también a la libertad. Expand
  13. Feb 18, 2016
    "Captain America : The First Avenger" was a great story , elegant , full of action on the Marvel super-soldier , and it is a fact that Chris Evans Fantastic Four , not full almost enough , but as the super-soldier has He is shown everything, and did very well.
  14. Feb 11, 2016
    Captain America: the first avenger is a modern version of the film,this time in the Mcu. Straight away this film has a great cast and really memorable and fun characters. It also does a great job of making you root for the hero. The action was a pretty good representation considering it was set in the 40's, and we have a rare okay marvel villain in the Red skull. The plot is also great.Captain America: the first avenger is a modern version of the film,this time in the Mcu. Straight away this film has a great cast and really memorable and fun characters. It also does a great job of making you root for the hero. The action was a pretty good representation considering it was set in the 40's, and we have a rare okay marvel villain in the Red skull. The plot is also great. However I felt there were too many montage scenes and the film is quite slow starting as well. In addition it was quite cheesy and cliché. Altogether I thought that Captain America: the first avenger is a fun movie and one of the best movies of the Mcu's phase 1. Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2016
    Marvel presents to you another one of their flicks smashed right in front of your face. Speaking of smashing, I was thinking about ---- oops, wrong movie. Being released to theaters after the day of my day, Captain America: The First Avenger comes in to make the audience watch Captain America in action.
  16. Nov 26, 2015
    Unlike most superhero films, which are usually all the same, Captain America: The First Avenger goes in a different direction; instead of making an over-the-top CGI blockbuster filled with explosions and cars being hurled across the street, it takes us back to the days of World War II, and lessens the typical super-hero action considerably, replacing it with more old-fashioned gun-fightsUnlike most superhero films, which are usually all the same, Captain America: The First Avenger goes in a different direction; instead of making an over-the-top CGI blockbuster filled with explosions and cars being hurled across the street, it takes us back to the days of World War II, and lessens the typical super-hero action considerably, replacing it with more old-fashioned gun-fights and car chases. But that doesn't make the movie any less enjoyable, but instead makes it fun and memorable, more so than your normal every-day action flick.

Although not as good as Guardians of the Galaxy, The First Avenger proves to be one of the better Marvel movies.
  17. Nov 19, 2015
    Chris Evans was an amazing Captain America, staying true to what the comics tried to depict as a hard-headed justice seeker. The movie is a great set up to the Avengers, which what it was meant to be.
  18. Oct 9, 2015
    Refreshing to see a superhero film set during World War 2. Red Skull was an epic main villain and Chris Evens was really good too. I liked the character of Howard Stark (there was a definite "Stark" feel to him) and the main character was likeable. There are some funny jokes (my favourite being the old lady with the machine gun). Don't know WHY this gets meh'd so much, it's a good movie.
  19. Sep 15, 2015
    The film was absolute garbage. It didn't take long to realize that they weren't going to cough up any good dialogue, so I hoped that at least the combat would be okay --- It wasn't. The good guy just walks into a nazi base and punches lackey after lackey and throws his shield at them a few times (It comes back...? Okay... Wow none of them shot you while you waited for it to come back!The film was absolute garbage. It didn't take long to realize that they weren't going to cough up any good dialogue, so I hoped that at least the combat would be okay --- It wasn't. The good guy just walks into a nazi base and punches lackey after lackey and throws his shield at them a few times (It comes back...? Okay... Wow none of them shot you while you waited for it to come back! Nice!) There was no tension at any moment, no doubt that his strategy of simply beating the bad guys up would have to be re-thought. The fact that this movie has such high reviews is indicative of the times. People don't want substance, they want a clear, simple to follow plot. Expand
  20. Jul 19, 2015
    Captain America is a movie based on one of my favorite comics of all times, so I could not wait to see this movie, but ounce I did I felt disappointed. It's not that this movie is bad or anything it's just not as good as the comic. So if you want to see a great American hero at work than read the comics and skip this movie.
  21. May 25, 2015
    The first Captain America movie is the origin story of the super hero it's named off of. It takes place in the 1940's when the originally skinny man gets experimented on to become a super soldier. It stands below most other super hero movies because its villains are so cheesy and the story just doesn't feel A-grade. It's still a decent movie and major MArvel fans should see it (but theyThe first Captain America movie is the origin story of the super hero it's named off of. It takes place in the 1940's when the originally skinny man gets experimented on to become a super soldier. It stands below most other super hero movies because its villains are so cheesy and the story just doesn't feel A-grade. It's still a decent movie and major MArvel fans should see it (but they already long have so why say that?). For the rest of us, though, it's not a must-watch. Expand
  22. May 16, 2015
    Captain America is one of my favorite heroes, I like your comic, as I also liked that film, he has an interesting story with a few different things from the comics, but we can not expect the film to be identical to the comic, after all Cinema is like an alternate universe, some scenes show good special effects, but there are other scenes that are a little strange, I thought Chris Evans asCaptain America is one of my favorite heroes, I like your comic, as I also liked that film, he has an interesting story with a few different things from the comics, but we can not expect the film to be identical to the comic, after all Cinema is like an alternate universe, some scenes show good special effects, but there are other scenes that are a little strange, I thought Chris Evans as Captain was great, and overall this movie is good. Expand
  23. May 2, 2015
    not bad but to be honest, I didnt care for it. It wasnt memorable in the slightest. I am not sure why but I couldn't really stand anybody in this movie, the film had a nice story and action sequences however.
  24. May 1, 2015
    They've brought the comics to life in a great way, the movie is pretty awesome and the cast for this movie was awesome too. I thought this wouldn't be such a deal, underestimate the movie but then when I watched it, it was so good! Great movie.
  25. Mar 7, 2015
    Although overall this film was entertaining it at many times seemed to drag. The film however did serve as a good introduction to captain America.
  26. Mar 4, 2015
    After watching Agent Carter, I decided to see Captain America: The First Avenger for the first time. It’s probably one the best Marvel Cinematic Universe movies so far.

The movie was excellent from start to finish. The direction and the cinematography makes this movie really set in the 40s and I never thought I would enjoy a enjoy a movie that is set in the 40s just like I never I would enjoy Agent Carter.

This movie is a really good origin movie about Steve Rogers and his duty as Captain America and after seeing this, I now care more about Captain America.

The writing was excellent and organic and it also sets up on what to expect on The Avengers (which I watched anyway) and the future of Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The cast performances in this movie were excellent. I would highlight Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan and even though he has a small screen time, Dominic Cooper as the best actors in this movie.

The best part of this movie was the relationship between Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter. Their relationship was well-developed and their chemistry is amazing. I also liked how their relationship affects some parts of the future of Marvel Cinematic Universe,. It’s like their relationship is important to the universe and it still is today.

Watching Captain America: The First Avenger is such a great first-time experience all thanks to great direction, cinematography, writing and cast performances. This movie now makes me care about Captain America and I can’t wait to see The Winter Solider and change my opinion about it since I didn’t enjoy it as much as my friends did.
  27. Jan 26, 2015
    Movie from the director of the Jumanji and Jurassic Park i did't expect nothing more it was just painful to watch.The hole idea for Captain America i crap i mean a superhero who is on steroids and he si just a little bit stronger then a normal guy on steroid but what ever.And the super villain Hugo Weaving we all know him from his great roles in Matrix , Lord of the Rings,Megatron fromMovie from the director of the Jumanji and Jurassic Park i did't expect nothing more it was just painful to watch.The hole idea for Captain America i crap i mean a superhero who is on steroids and he si just a little bit stronger then a normal guy on steroid but what ever.And the super villain Hugo Weaving we all know him from his great roles in Matrix , Lord of the Rings,Megatron from Transformers, V for Vendeta he is one of the best villian actors but this time he fail he act so simple without passion.The movie was create to bring us to The Avengers a stupid idea for me and a boring movie without no value . Expand
  28. Dec 9, 2014
    This is a nice movie which features plenty of action and an interesting plot. Whether you are a comic book fan or not, most of you are probably going to enjoy this movie. Thumbs up for this movie and the actors!
  29. Nov 8, 2014
    This is one of the most surprising films i have ever seen. I went in expecting a near Green Lantern style failure, but really this film was really rather good. Now the actual hero Captain America I don't really like, I never found him very interesting, and it is quite difficult to get round that, but this film manages, with a fantastic villain in the form of the the always brilliant HugoThis is one of the most surprising films i have ever seen. I went in expecting a near Green Lantern style failure, but really this film was really rather good. Now the actual hero Captain America I don't really like, I never found him very interesting, and it is quite difficult to get round that, but this film manages, with a fantastic villain in the form of the the always brilliant Hugo Weaving, and an actual plot *crowd gasps*. Expand
  30. Oct 19, 2014
    Captain America: The First Avenger will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.
  31. Oct 18, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

After seeing a skinny man in an armor suit flying around Manhattan in an exciting summer blockbuster, this is just what I needed. An old-fashioned super-hero movie related to Marvel Cinematic Universe. Unfortunately I couldn’t see “The Incredible Hulk” due to some streaming problems, but I got to see Captain America kicking ass in his own right, throwing the shield like a f*cking boomerang. Yeah, that never gets old. While the previous MCU movie was more consistent and entertaining, “Captain America: The First Avenger” still provides well-choreographed fights sequences and a solid story that connects perfectly into Marvel Universe.

At the outset of World War II, Steve Rogers wants nothing more than to join the army. The only problem is that he can't pass the physical. He's tried several times under different names without success. Dr. Abraham Erskine notes his eagerness and recruits him for an experimental project. Rogers is soon transformed, both mentally and physically, into a super soldier where he eventually faces off against the Nazi organization Hydra and its head, known as Red Skull.

The performances are very good. Chris Evans makes a good Captain America. I generally don’t like the character that much, but I must say, Chris fits the role. The one thing that bugs me is that they made him into a CGI creepy-looking kid without even attempting to work a little bit more. Seriously, why did he look so skinny? Just sayin…

But when he transforms himself into a muscular super soldier, things get really nasty. He’s faster, stronger and more intimidating than ever before. The action scenes are very well done, just like in “Iron Man”. No shaky cameras or constantly zoom-in. The most impressive action sequence in this movie is gotta be the chase sequence, where Steve jumps from one car to another and uses a door to block bullets (Oh about that, the door actually has a star in the middle, to resemble Captain America’s classic shield). Ah, classic! His suit looks kind of silly but I guess that’s part of the movie’s charm. After all, this is the 40s, right? The film also features some nice easter eggs and references that we’ll lead us to the Avengers like for example, the Tesseract. This plot device actually appears in The Avengers and it’s used as a portal or some sort of it. Sometimes the movie feels like it only exists just to set up The Avengers, but then the story comes in and that feeling just disappears.

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull is rather good. He really does a nice portrayal of his character, especially when he’s delivering quotable lines like “Hail Hydra!” or when he’s fighting with Captain America. Last time I saw him was in Transformers movies and the Matrix trilogy, which were meh… but whatever. He’s still a great actor.

One of the main problems with the movie is that it lacks originality. Mainly because some clichés peek in the script itself and prevents Joe Johnston (Director of this film) from providing new and interesting ideas to its formula. Not only that, but sometimes the story feels so dumb. However, Chris Evan makes up for that, yeah the guy knows how to act. Some actors have the balls to show how hammy is their acting. A good example of that is “Karate Kid, Part III” where the cast seems bored and seems understanding that they are indeed, overacting. But Evan, he knows how to act moderately. What I’m trying to say is that Marvel has chosen one of the best cast ever. First Robert Downey, now Chris…. It’s perfect.

Final Score to Captain America: The First Avenger: 7/10. Like Rotten Tomatoes stated, this is a solidly old-fashioned summer blockbuster that understands one of the oldest Marvel’s heroes and offers a fun story and nice performances from its main lead, even if sometimes feels like a big set-up for The Avengers. This movie is what I consider an apology from the god-awful, completely forgettable 1990’s film Captain America (That movie was just plain bad). I feel happy for watching this film and I can’t wait to do a review of the next one: Iron Man 2 (2010).
  32. Sep 1, 2014
    The engaging retro vibe given off by The First Avenger and director Joe Johnston is well-worth the viewing. As for Chris Evans: a much needed improvement from the Fantastic Four.
  33. Aug 28, 2014
    To be honest I thought the movie as a whole was a bit bland.

To be honest I thought the movie as a whole was a bit bland.

It serves as a great introduction to the character and serves that purpose well. But as a stand alone story it feels like a a whole bunch of filler for a much larger story (which it kinda is.) But that's precisely what I thought was wrong with it. This movie stands on the idea that "bigger" things are coming but seems to forget a little that it is its own movie as well.

But in no ways is this a bad movie. Effects are great, story is nice (if a bit flat.) And the character portrayed very well. Aside from Hugo Weaving who feels a little out of place. He did a great job, but is perhaps a bit too high profile for the role.

Overall:
    Captain America : The First Avenger is a fun movie worth watching IF you plan on watching the whole Marvel plan of movies. However, if this was the only Marvel movie you could watch, I would say give it a miss.
  34. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I have spent most of my youth engrossed in the events of X-Men, Captain America (and the Avengers) are a fairly unknown territory for me. However, after falling in love with Iron Man and always harboring a love for Marvel's heroes, I had to check this one out.

It does more than just delivers a prequel to the upcoming Avengers movie; it tells us how Steve Rogers, a small, sickly little man becomes the face and spirit of American warriors - for America is in war, and needs a hero badly to inspire her people.

Steve's continuous struggle to become that hero is admirable, and when he is given the chance to become the first super soldier - at the risk of his own life - he is all too willing to take it. Backed up by Peggy Carter, a stiff army official who cannot risk actually showing her emotions for the new recruit, he undergoes a transformation that makes Steve all he ever wanted to be, now in body as well as in mind.

If only it were that easy; Steve's left hanging immediately post-transformation, and Captain America is born to do commercial work rather than fight beside the brave men in the real war.

When Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) begins strengthening his own army with an unknown power that is either science or magic - or both - Captain America rises to the challenge to finally do what he has yearned to do for most his life; protect his fellow men, and help right triumph over wrong.

Visually, the movie was just about everything you have come to expect from today's superhero films. The characters were not hollow, making you care for them, although they did not spend too much time focusing on those outside the limelight (like the Howling Commados).

The story was a bit slow at places, but kept moving steadily forward. They showed surprisingly little of the present day, but that continues rather directly in the upcoming Avengers movie.
  35. Aug 15, 2014
    The recent Marvel movies haven't been so good, with the exception of "The Avengers", but the two Captain America movies have shined in a series of some not so great movies. I liked this. It's serious, occasionally funny, and heartwarming. It takes the story of Steve Rogers and is faithful to it, and creates a convincing hero--Captain America.
  36. Aug 9, 2014
    this is a spectacular movie, Captain America/Steve Rodgers is cast perfectly with Chris Evans, and this movie has a awesome villain "Red Skull" played by the one and only Hugo Weaving and the action scenes are filmed beautifully.
    i would recommend this to anyone
  37. Aug 9, 2014
    Captain America is a fun action/comic book superhero movie but it is also in a way a war movie taking place in world war 2 making it very different than other marvel movies. I liked it but i didn't love it so this Superhero
    flick gets a 7.5/10 a 7.8/10 for action/Special effects 7.3/10 for story/plot 7.5/10 for acting and a 7.7/10 for characters/character development
  38. Jul 30, 2014
    Captain America: The First Avenger is full of action, and tiny deficiencies.

Captain America: The First Avenger is full of action, and tiny deficiencies.

Oh my god, the acting is so incredible, especially by Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving. They are all stunning to see in action! Captain America: The First Avenger truly is cool and groovy to watch, and the action is amazing and highly enjoyable. The CGI are incredible, even thought there are some details in the film that don’t look real at all. The film overall is highly unique and the story is magnificent, but there are some illogical and stupid decisions by some of the individuals in the film, which made it weird sometimes.

The things that bothers me most about this movie is the silly events in the film, such as the patriotism. It just ruined the film so much. Another thing is that there happens so much more in the second part of the film, so the first half felt a bit more boring than the last. So yes, there are some negative aspects about this film, but it's still enjoyable, and I forgot no mention the soundtrack, so stunning!

An entertaining, but silly film.

Captain America: The First Avenger gets a 7.9/10
  39. Jul 28, 2014
    Avengers filmine geçiş için karakterleri tanıtmayı amaçlayan ilk filmler biraz aceleye getirildi ama yine de sonuç başarılı, Captain America'yı oynayabileceğinden şüpheli olduğum fantastik dörtlü elemanının sırf bu film için vucut çalışması bile takdir edilesi, hayatımda izlediğim en iyi aksiyon filmlerinden.
  40. Jul 22, 2014
    This is a succesful movie. The fight scenes were cool and the visual effects were outstanding.. But other than this movie is pretty. But there are a few cliches which makes the plot pretty prrdictable from the time to time but that doesn't effect the movie in a big way.
  41. Jul 14, 2014
    Incited by its super polished CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014, 7/10), I feel impulsive to watch its prequel, which eluded me when it came out in 2011 chiefly thanks to the irreparable damage caused by Evan’s lame Human Torch act in the awful FANTASTIC 4 duds, and his breakthrough role in the murderously awful comedy NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE (2001, 3/10), I just thought he was notIncited by its super polished CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014, 7/10), I feel impulsive to watch its prequel, which eluded me when it came out in 2011 chiefly thanks to the irreparable damage caused by Evan’s lame Human Torch act in the awful FANTASTIC 4 duds, and his breakthrough role in the murderously awful comedy NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE (2001, 3/10), I just thought he was not bright enough to be interesting as a national hero, however, both the second Captain American venture and SNOWPIERCER (2013, 7/10) have regained my faith in him, and finally I watched the film.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  42. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט ממש בינוני, היה אפשר להפיק הרבה יותר מגיבור העל הענק הזה, וחבל שהוא קיבל סרט בינוני ומטה שנראה כאילו מארוול עושים טובה שהם עושים אותו, כי ברור שזה לא סרט שהם רצו לעשות אלא רק כדי לעשות את הנוקמים ולא יותר מזה
  43. Apr 18, 2014
    Why does everyone hate on this movie? I thought it would stink considering the reviews but you know what? I actually really liked this movie. I thought the story was nice and epic and they really did make the movie feel like the 40's. It also is extremely patriotic and is like, "'Merica! **** yeah!" which fits the movie perfectly. I mean for gods sake he's CAPTAIN AMERICA. The action wasWhy does everyone hate on this movie? I thought it would stink considering the reviews but you know what? I actually really liked this movie. I thought the story was nice and epic and they really did make the movie feel like the 40's. It also is extremely patriotic and is like, "'Merica! **** yeah!" which fits the movie perfectly. I mean for gods sake he's CAPTAIN AMERICA. The action was pretty nice but that was my biggest disappointment. The movie just rushes through most of the action, treating it almost like a montage, except for a couple of moments. I personally think they should have made this movie like Tim Burton's Batman, where you find out Cap's past in flashbacks. That way they could cut, like, 25 minutes from this movie and replace it with more dynamic action. Maybe something like Cap running 469 yards to the Red Skull while simultaneously demobilizing 5 tanks, knocking down 800 solders with his shield, maybe even go downhill and surf on the shield, all while being fired at by 39 HYDRA airplanes. THAT SOUNDS COOL Expand
  44. Apr 13, 2014
    A film a that is easy to watch and easy to forget. Captain America didn't seem like a movie but more like a trailer for the upcoming films. An enjoyable first half kept my attention, however the second half becomes primarily concerned on cramming in as many action set pieces to make up for the quieter first act.
  45. Jan 13, 2014
    Captain America is one of the stronger films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and only falls short with the villain, The Red Skull, not having much of a role.
  46. Dec 4, 2013
    Yes Captain America is overall patriotic yet over all i absolutely loved it for the amazing performance from the dude who played Red Skull, I LOVE RD SKULL HE IS ONE OF THE SCARIEST VILLAINS OF ALL TIME(GO READ OLD MAN LOGAN), overall i really enjoyed the film every performance was amazing the diolog was fun and the humor was funny,

-9/10, should be an 8 but the movie made me smile
  47. Nov 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Realistically, I would score this movie about a 4, but I feel obligated to drop it to a 1 just to counteract the inflated scores this garbage has been racking up. I'm baffled as to how this movie got such positive reviews. I can forgive the high audience reviews, because, let's face it, most people are dumb and can't recognize a bad movie when they see it...but, I don't get how the professional critics could have scored this movie so well. This was, quite simply, not a very good movie. The beginning was pretty good, as there was some decent story and character development starting to happen...but once he transforms into Captain America, the movie just turns into a typical corn-ball, over-the-top Hollywood turd. There are some pretty big plot holes. A lot of questions, and some things that are just too difficult to believe ruin any credibility that the first part of the movie had built up. How can Red Skull attach a perfectly realistic human face to his skull in the 1940's?...they can't even do a very good face transplant in 2011, yet Red Skull had a detachable "Hugo Weaving face" that just popped on and off like a Halloween mask...cheesy...bad writing. Then there's the mysterious "blue cube" which is never really explained...they just give the cheap comic book explanation "it's just a mysterious cube of great power, and we don't need to explain it because it's not important that our movie be believable or credible" cheesy...bad writing. Then there's the fact that Captain America has a shield that he can throw from great distances, and it always inexplicably returns to him like some kind of magical boomerang..no explanation as to how the shield does this...cheesy...terrible writing. Just because the shield can do this in the comics doesn't mean you don't have to explain it in the movie. Then there's the fact that Captain America crashes a plane into the icy ground and they just dig him out decades later and bring him back to life...and he hasn't aged a day no explanation...we're just supposed to accept all of this terrible writing and not question it...sorry, Hollywood, I demand better quality from my movies and this will be the last super hero trash I see from you. Expand
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    this film does not represent a good captain america, it is a film with a pretty bad script, this film is the kind of movie that should be forgotten in the future.
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    I don't like Cap in comics but I enjoyed this movie after the first act. It has nice cinematography, fast action and the right actors for the hero and his antagonist. Just don't expect something like Spiderman or Thor. argonautis.eu
  50. Aug 6, 2013
    Esta es la pelicula en donde se destaca un buen trabajo el antiguo superheroe que comienzo siendo un desastre llega en el año en donde puedes comenzar la accion con buenos efectos y habilidades
  51. Aug 5, 2013
    An astonishing film out of Marvel Studios. Captain America is the epitome of entertainment, with a compelling story, top of the line action scenes, and a star studded turn for Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, this is without a doubt one of Marvel's greatest outings to date.
  52. Jul 14, 2013
    Captain America is based on Marvel comic so there are no surprises. However it serves it's purpose to keep viewer entertained. Few wink and nods to the fans and twist in the end give it a bit of extra compared to predecessors from same genre. With all of it's parts summed Captain America comes out positive.
  53. Jun 25, 2013
    A Marvel film which surprisingly feels less than a super-hero movie and more of a great classic pulp-fiction comic (a comic that does not need to be seen in 3-D I might add).

War is spreading at an all time high and America needs a hero! Once an average small frail man, Steve Rogers undergoes an experiment and is boosted into the super-soldier and iconic Captain America, Good in heart and mind Steve joins the war to aid and fight against the villianous Nazi Reign ans well as an even deadlier cause from a unknown stronger threat.

I think the biggest surprise of this movie was hearing that Chris Evans was going to be Steve Rogers/Captain America. obviously because he had played The Human Torch in the two "Fantastic Four" movies.

Believe me i was more skeptical than anyone, some friend of mine declared "Well, he does look alot like Steve Rogers", to which i jokingly said "That doesn't really mean Sh*t though does it?", still i was open to seeing what he could do with the character and in all honesty Chris nailed the role. His performance does make us care about Steve before and after the Transformation and it's executed well enough to make us sympathise with Rogers's plight without pushing it to deeply.

Tommy Lee Jones is Awesome as always playing the symbol of authority, Haylie Atwell is charming an enjoyable as a Fem-fatele, yet the romance between her character and Capt's is pretty cheap and stupid, Stanley Tucci is again well casted as a wise mentor to Rogers, and finally Hugo Weaving is brilliant as Red Skull and finally justice has been done to a great comic book villain.

Aside from that everything is fun, the references to "Raiders" was great, it mocked the old costume and popularity of the 40's comics and most importantly it made the character more than respectable, all the more reason i can't wait to see him again in "The Avengers" (stay after the credits for the Trailer!!).

Final Verdict: Remembering when this film was first announced and the hype that went into it, Captain America will more than exceed expectations.
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    My second favorite of the Avenger movies only behind Iron Man. I was skeptical but Chris Evans does a good job as Steve Rogers and Hugo Weaving is perfect as Red Skull.
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    Tough movie to rate since it's an origin story and all origin stories are a little rough, though I felt as though this one went pretty smoothly. The ending was a tad rough, but I thought that Chris Evans did very well in the lead role and Hayley Atwell did well as his lover. Overall, not the best film ever, but far from the worst.
  56. May 31, 2013
    This movie is the reason I like Captain America. I love the story of a weak man becoming the perfect soldier. The ending was great and it had me feeling very sorry for Steve Rogers. If you're a fan of Captain America, this movie will not disappoint you.
  57. May 29, 2013
    I thought this movie was really good but it definitely wasn't the "best superhero movie ever" like so many people have proclaimed. They could've developed some of the characters beyond Steve and Peggy more and given the movie more depth. That would've made certain character deaths more meaningful. The action sequences, while not as impressive as some of the other superhero movies, wereI thought this movie was really good but it definitely wasn't the "best superhero movie ever" like so many people have proclaimed. They could've developed some of the characters beyond Steve and Peggy more and given the movie more depth. That would've made certain character deaths more meaningful. The action sequences, while not as impressive as some of the other superhero movies, were still awesome in their own right and the fight scenes were fairly entertaining. The ending could've been a lot more emotional as well. I'm not asking for sobbing and ridiculous crying but if you actually think about what was happening, having some more emotion would've made it feel more genuine and authentic. Chris Evans is great as Captain America though. His role doesn't call for the darkness of Bruce Wayne or the charisma of Tony Stark but it does call for a certain level of confidence and straightforwardness and arrogance. Chris Evans hits all of those well. One of the few other weak parts was the villain. The Red Skull just wasn't all that terrifying or intimidating. Sure, he wanted to "take over the world" but nothing really made him uniquely evil other than his skinless head. All in all though, this was a very good movie and while it wasn't as good as the other Avengers films in my opinion, it is still better than most action movies around. Expand
  58. May 23, 2013
    All eyes were firmly focused on Captain America in his first outing, simply because he was the last piece of the jigsaw which fitted into the Avengers, and my no means did this overshadow a brilliant, fun and energetic story.
    Chris Evans has bulked up and left his Human Torch days behind to take on the mantle of Steve Rogers, but when we first see him in the film he isn't exactly a 'super soldier'. With the clever effects of digital imaging, he is a small, skinny and underwhelming health hazard, endlessly trying to join the army during World War II, but when he is selected for a program by Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci), to enhance his abilities to the peak of human physicality, he sees an opportunity to finally fulfil his dream.
    Also part of the wider program is Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones), who is immediately skeptical of Rogers involvement, but is influenced by Erskine and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), who is immediately drawn to the eventual Captain.
    On the other side of the lines, the German's deep science division, HYDRA, is slowly trying to remove itself from the shadow of the Third Reich to make a name for itself. after finding a mythical object known as the Tesseract, Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) is out to win the war all on his own.
    Captain America has a wonderfully accurate period setting that is told very much like an older film. The characters are what we would expect with their dialogue and even occasional stereotypical whims, Colonel Phillips plays the typical sarcastic yet battle hardened veteran, Carter is a woman trying to make a name for herself while we also meet Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) who is the man with his head firmly in front of everything, looking into the future...remind you of anyone?Also appearing are Neal McDonough, Toby Jones and Sebastian Stan.
    Unlike Thor, there isn't much interference in terms of linking all these Marvel films together from S.H.I.E.L.D., our First Avenger stands firmly on his own, and some of the scenes in this film are truly excellent to watch, with a very big story being told and not too much of a reliance on special effects for a cheap trick explosion.
    Chris Evans take on Steve Rogers is interestingly enjoyable, because even after he receives the serum which changes his whole life, he remains the same, much of what the serum is promoted as, it doesn't create, it strengthens all the attributes within the body, and this film was fantastic swan song to the Phase One solo films before the blockbuster Avengers took off.
  59. May 12, 2013
    The plot can can go fast, and very humble that takes some of the climax of it, but in the end it draws the conclusion that is satisfactory to both the older fans, and for the casual and makes a good ground for The Avengers.
  60. May 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Huge Weaving and Stan Lee give the best performances of the movie. The genesis story for the Cap is pretty damn good as well, but afterwards the movie falls flat. The writing is not that great, the action doesn't make much sense (how does Captain manage to take out heavily guarded, high-tech facilities with a group of 10 dudes?) and the emotional core of the film is not there. It's not terrible by any means but it definitely digresses into a typical, poorly-written Hollywood film after a very strong beginning. Expand
  61. May 1, 2013
    This is, from what I can tell, almost perfectly accurate to marvel lore. It is funny, it is suspenseful, it has romance and loss and heroism and men rising to the challenge. Don't listen to the negative reviews, this deserves nothing less than a 10.
  62. Apr 28, 2013
    In my opinion this is the worst Avengers lead-in movie.
    In my opinion this is the worst Avengers lead-in movie.
    It's hard to pin down exactly what my problem with it is. Maybe it's the lack of Nazis in WW2. Maybe it's the possibly interesting parts being presented in a quick hokey montage. Maybe it's the mini submarines and laser beams/tanks. There are a few good things: Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, Captain America and his love interest, Tony Stark's father, the tie-ins to the Avengers and Tommy Lee Jones.
    So yeah this is by far the worst Avengers lead-in.
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    A solid performance from Chris Evans and an enjoyable first half kept my attention. However, the second half becomes primarily concerned on cramming in as many action set pieces to make up for the quieter first act.
  64. Apr 21, 2013
    No need to poke the history of creating films of this type of hostility. In my opinion, a very cheap imitation of BATMAN. Pretty much to not enter a category.
  65. Apr 8, 2013
    Thor, Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. 2011 is a 'Minor American Superhero Films' year I guess, while 2012 is gonna be 'Major American Superhero Films' year because 'BigBang' movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's The Avengers and also one of the most anticipated films in movie history, The Dark Knight Rises, will be released in that year. ToThor, Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. 2011 is a 'Minor American Superhero Films' year I guess, while 2012 is gonna be 'Major American Superhero Films' year because 'BigBang' movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's The Avengers and also one of the most anticipated films in movie history, The Dark Knight Rises, will be released in that year. To initiate, I'm greatly disappointed with CA: TFA. I expected more,I assumed fresh contents will be shown but the ideas which entertain me are recycled stuffs.

I felt that this movie is mediocre at it's best. Scenes after scenes are filled with bland dialogues (bad script!), which successfully left me detached in the middle of the film, and somehow murdered my interest. The movie could have at least left me hanging to the rope, but it further killed me with an uninteresting characters and boring and predictable plot. 'TSK'! I'm disheartened, I was expecting something spectacular.

Acting-wise, It has nothing much to offer. Chris Evan, being the main actor of the movie, is somehow negligible but still nonetheless, I guess his performance is not too bad and sincerely believe that he is a talented actor. He is more that what he appears to be in the movie. Despite having some ordinary performances, I'm captivated by Hugo Weaving's presence as the primary villain of this picture, Red Skull. There's some kind of charm or charisma in his performance. His body language and 'pleasure to listen to' English accent is desirable, I would vote that Hugo Heaving is one of the reasons on why this movie is still worthy to witness.

Still, Captain America is an appealing motion picture. I admire the well designed costumes and some of the fine artistic elements of the films. The sets of the film are incredibly interesting and it is very successful in dragging me into the 1940s world. Those efforts are well navigated, and yes it accomplished.

I picked X-Men: First Class to be the best American Superhero movie of 2011 because it has a tight script, fine performances and well-developed characters but sadly, Captain America: TFA does not possessed all those offers. This film is genuinely average. Sorry :)

(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall) (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (Alex_DeSmall)
  66. Mar 22, 2013
    A bland, unspectacular superhero movie with a forced love angle. It fails to excite, lacking humor and devoid of any style: be it narrative or directional.
  67. Feb 26, 2013
    A solid prerequisite to 'The Avengers' but predictably unimaginative and mediocre in almost every conceivable way possible. We've come to expect more from superhero blockbusters and this falls short: CGI'd Chris Evans short.
  68. Feb 22, 2013
    I'm sure the regular followers of my blog are shocked to see that I gave a superhero/comic book movie a perfect rating. It is a well known fact, that while I'm a Science Fiction fanatic, I hate superheroes and comics. I wanted to see Captain America though, because I'm fascinated by the Avengers. I really can't see how all those big stars are going to work together, so I wanted to see allI'm sure the regular followers of my blog are shocked to see that I gave a superhero/comic book movie a perfect rating. It is a well known fact, that while I'm a Science Fiction fanatic, I hate superheroes and comics. I wanted to see Captain America though, because I'm fascinated by the Avengers. I really can't see how all those big stars are going to work together, so I wanted to see all the films leading up to the Avengers, so I could follow along. Tommy Lee Jones, one of my favorite actors of all time, is one of the stars of this film, and I know he won't sign on to do just anything, so I knew that Captain America would at the very least be watchable. The more and more I got into Captain America, the most surprised I was by it's realism and honesty, it's not just the story of another superhero and how he's going to fit into the Avengers, it's the story of a very likeable character who wants to be something more than he is. I also loved the fact that this film took place in the 1940's as opposed to the modern era, because it gave a uniqueness to the story. I didn't feel like I was watching another Superman or Batman type of movie, I was really seeing something unique. The cast was fantastic, Chris Evans in particular, I don't know where the people who do the casting for these movies keep finding these guys, but each newcomer is better than the last. Captain America is unique and doesn't feel like a superhero out of some comic book. Comics are often based in extreme fantasy and appeal to those who want to escape their reality. Captain America was different though as he choses not to runaway, but to continually better himself, making him a uniquely remarkable character and it's those qualities that helped make a unique and remarkable film. Expand
  69. Dec 22, 2012
    The early 1940's represents tough times. A horrible war is being fought, and Colonel Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) strongly believes that sweet victory will be embraced by the side that places more confidence in men than in weapons.

The United States of America needs the best soldiers they can find, and in comes a young man with an unparalleled desire to serve his country. His name is Steve Rogers. He is an asthmatic and weighs less than a hundred pounds. If he
  70. Dec 9, 2012
    "Captain America" is a decent superhero movie. On the plus side, it's got good acting, good characters, some fun action and a fairly compelling plot. Tommy Lee Jones also lends a lot of healthy humor to the film. On the negative side, it does seem to make itself a bit too grand at points with some overuse of slow-motion, "hero jumping" shots and an excessive amount of obvious CGI where"Captain America" is a decent superhero movie. On the plus side, it's got good acting, good characters, some fun action and a fairly compelling plot. Tommy Lee Jones also lends a lot of healthy humor to the film. On the negative side, it does seem to make itself a bit too grand at points with some overuse of slow-motion, "hero jumping" shots and an excessive amount of obvious CGI where practical effects and stunt people could have easily been used to create a more believable look. That, and Red Skull's makeup was a little too comic-booky in its appearance, and stood out as rather silly against a context otherwise engineered as more grounded. Overall, it's good but not great. Expand
  71. Dec 7, 2012
    Very good, but not as good as Thor or X-Men.

Very good, but not as good as Thor or X-Men.

I really liked everything about this film. The story, the characters, the effects, the fighting, the cinematography, the setting, it all worked...but one thing I really liked was the cast. Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, and Stanley Tucci are three actors that I really like a lot. So having them in a film of this genre, playing awesome characters gives this film so much more that I can appreciate. They all give good performances. Even Chris Evans was good and likable as Steve/ Capt. America...even though I was completely skeptical at first.

Everything about this film worked for me...which is great. But it's also one of the film's weaknesses. I felt like it all just works because I had seen it all before; it felt too safe for me. Also, this was way too superhero-y for me, but that's just my opinion.

Overall though, I really liked this. I was completely entertaining, and it helps to have a good story and cast , too. I completely recommend this.
  72. Nov 28, 2012
    Though it is exceptionally entertaining and easily Chris Evans' best film to date, I only wish it would offer the subtle undertone of realism that all of its other Marvel: Phase One siblings contained.
  73. Nov 23, 2012
    Captain America: The First Avenger is the first movie timelined throughout the Marvel cinematic universe. Chris Evans does a great job of portraying Marvel's first fictional superhero/Steve Rogers. Plot: Steve Rogers is an American citizen within the year 1942 during WW2. He is dedicated to serving his country yet doesn't have the right physical build to enlist as an American soldier. WhenCaptain America: The First Avenger is the first movie timelined throughout the Marvel cinematic universe. Chris Evans does a great job of portraying Marvel's first fictional superhero/Steve Rogers. Plot: Steve Rogers is an American citizen within the year 1942 during WW2. He is dedicated to serving his country yet doesn't have the right physical build to enlist as an American soldier. When Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci) realizes that he is dedicated to his country he gives him a chance and changes his life forever when he gives him the chance to participate in his super soldier program. However, while Dr. Eskine was in Germany perfecting his super soldier serum, Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving), the leader of Hydra, a subdivsion of Hitler's army; becomes interested and forcefully injects himself with it becoming the unnaturally strong, and evil Red Skull. Schmidt also finds the tesseract, a blue glowing cube capable of unlimited energy. Schmidt uses this to evolve his weapons at an unreasonable rate posing bigger threats throughout the war. As Rogers becomes Captain America, he sets out on a campaign to end Schmidt's reign of terror as part of his duty as an American soldier. Opinion: believalbly set in WW2 with a great blend of fiction throughout reminds the world how terrifying WW2 really was, and that hope could be found even in the darkest of times. Well done, I reccomend it for anyone involved in WW2 and for those patriotic to America, I also reccomend it for anyone who wants to introduce themselves to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Expand
  74. Nov 7, 2012
    I honestly walked into the theater expecting a pretty mediocre film. Thank you, Marvel Studios for proving me wrong. Captain America is better than Thor in every way.
  75. Oct 10, 2012
    Although it never sets the pulse racing to an extreme, CA is a really solid and enjoyable superhero flick. It's pretty damn cool how they weave the story to allows for CA's appearance in a daft red, white & blue costume, and as a whole the film adopts a pretty fresh approach to the typical superhero scenarios and dilemmas. The arch villain is very cool, and the film itself had a greatAlthough it never sets the pulse racing to an extreme, CA is a really solid and enjoyable superhero flick. It's pretty damn cool how they weave the story to allows for CA's appearance in a daft red, white & blue costume, and as a whole the film adopts a pretty fresh approach to the typical superhero scenarios and dilemmas. The arch villain is very cool, and the film itself had a great balance and mixture of comic book fantasy and WW2 "realism" too. It can feel at times as if it's nothing more than a pre-cursor to The Avengers, but it's one which is done well and entertains plenty in the process. Check it out. Expand
  76. Aug 30, 2012
    What is there to say, really? This film contains good acting, an at times shallow script, and off pacing. It's fun to watch once, but I can't see it being especially remembered in the future.
  77. Aug 13, 2012
    Captain America is a decent superhero film. In some ways, its better than Thor, and in some ways its even worse. Some lines are very cheesy but the movie, overall, is very well paced, and has some good actors. Chris Evans does a great job as "The Captain" but honestly, I wanted more from this film. There are many stupid and unnecessary scenes that brings this movie down, and it reallyCaptain America is a decent superhero film. In some ways, its better than Thor, and in some ways its even worse. Some lines are very cheesy but the movie, overall, is very well paced, and has some good actors. Chris Evans does a great job as "The Captain" but honestly, I wanted more from this film. There are many stupid and unnecessary scenes that brings this movie down, and it really didn't have to be that way. Expand
  78. Aug 12, 2012
    So after Iron Man, Hulk and Thor, last but not least it was Captain America's turn to make his big screen début as part of the Avengers development.

The First Avenger spends the first half the film covering the origin story of the Captain, which from an previously uninformed point of view was something I greatly appreciated. With almost the majority of the action set during

With almost the majority of the action set during WWII, the film is similar to a war movie, especially once the Captain recruits his band of soldiers who then spend their time destroying Nazi science labs at ease. Think of Inglorious Bastards meets Band of Brothers but without the Tarantino violence and humour and the epicness and sincerity of the mini-series. The score also sounds familiar when heard in a war setting.

Chris Evans is successful as Captain America and holds up to the pressures of a leading man. He plays the superhero with the right amount of patriotism and conscience without being overbearing. However, Hugo Weaving's Red Skull was a disappointment.

As an origin story First Avenger is solid and the retro setting is hugely original for a superhero movie, however as a general action film, I felt that the plot, mainly the threat of the Red Skull, and the action sequences were not as strong as they could have been. America simply seems to clout everyone he meets with his shield before running onto the next, there is little variation in his tactics or in the challenges he faces.
  79. Jul 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love action, I love fiction and I love a passionate story. Mix it all and a movie should receive 5 or more points. Captain America failed in all mentioned categories. Its not its spider-man-like story: good loser turns into super hero why the story became an abomination: Its just that it is predictable: The brave scientist which gets shot, the best friend which can not be saved although mighty Cptn. is super strong, the only girl in the story is the heros passion. Now add some James Bond gadgets coming from nowhere and you have an invincible hero. Not that they at first have to fight enemies with über-guns, they werent even surprised by what the enemy threw at them. Alas the bad guy could have saved the movie, but it was just too obvious that the impersonation of evil was played by "Mr. Smith" from Matrix: He looks like him, he acts like him, and even his metamorphosis to a red-skinned-something was just invented to pretend to have a real bad ass. In fact the bad guys act as stupid as the good guy and are nothing but cannon fodder. What was wrong with the fiction: Bad guy made through almost the same as the good guy to get his evil powers. Only difference one has a pure heart the other has not. Bad guy discovers a divine energy thingy but this does not help him either. It was just put into the movie to be able to make up some special FX with laser guns which would not have been common at the time the movie plays. The only thing needed for the good guys to block the special FX weapon is a shield from a metal which you never-heard-before and is indistructable. Funny thing: Its painting looks worn out after being shot at some times. So if you saw Matrix 3 and liked the movie because of the action, well this is what was good about Matrix 3. Cptn. Americas action is about a guy sneaking into an enemy base with a stars-and-stripes-painted shield - at least it wasnt glowing - and then beating up all enemies. Every 5th enemy is hit by the shield which behaves like a boomerang and returns to Cptn. America just in time to block the next blow. Btw. the only thing the Cptn. is afraid of is not the super powers of the enemy, nor the mysterious weapons which can dematerialize you within an instant when being hit, no, its flame throwers which make him duck and cover. At least: if you still want to watch the movie: look out for about its three funny scenes. Its not that its worth seeing them, its just makes you hope that there will be more. Expand
  80. Jul 21, 2012
    I didn't enjoy this film as much as the hype would have made me believe. It is average at best for a comic book film. I am not sure how much of this story I would change, as obviously it leads into the Avengers, but as a stand-alone film, I do not think that it is particularly good. I prefer a more intelligent film and, coming from England, I found the patriotism was more than a littleI didn't enjoy this film as much as the hype would have made me believe. It is average at best for a comic book film. I am not sure how much of this story I would change, as obviously it leads into the Avengers, but as a stand-alone film, I do not think that it is particularly good. I prefer a more intelligent film and, coming from England, I found the patriotism was more than a little annoying on occasion. Expand
  81. Jul 3, 2012
    The film is a solid motion-picture event. It has "make me impressed" written all over, and in eye-popping 3D. But Captain America never tries to go beyond. And it's globetrotting script reveals that the script doesn't have much to show, in which the movie let's visuals take over. In the end, it's what you would expect. And not for the better...
  82. May 25, 2012
    The effects and stunt work? Close to piss-poor. The acting? Marvelous. Joe Johnston's direction? Good. Add this up, and we get an okay MARVEL movie, but one of the weakest in the MARVEL cinematic universe. You'll enjoy it, but only just, and not the same compared to the others.
  83. May 22, 2012
    I'm so sick of origin stories but that was the only part of this movie that worked. Once he turns into the Captain this movie becomes just a crappy actioner. How many times can a guy be shooting - cut to Captain America gas pedaling him? The action scenes reminded me of the type I thought we moved on from a long time ago in low budget 80s movies where 100s of soldiers kinda just fall overI'm so sick of origin stories but that was the only part of this movie that worked. Once he turns into the Captain this movie becomes just a crappy actioner. How many times can a guy be shooting - cut to Captain America gas pedaling him? The action scenes reminded me of the type I thought we moved on from a long time ago in low budget 80s movies where 100s of soldiers kinda just fall over and somehow I'm supposed to find that interesting like if I were watching someone play Goldeneye for N64. Expand
  84. May 16, 2012
    this movie was everything it should have been and nothing more. it wasnt exceptionally deep, but it was pleasantly surprising and a great character piece. having never read the captain america comics before i had only expectations of this being a failure, but i genuinely cared for the characters, it was fluffy when it needed to be fluffy, satirical when it called for it, brutally violentthis movie was everything it should have been and nothing more. it wasnt exceptionally deep, but it was pleasantly surprising and a great character piece. having never read the captain america comics before i had only expectations of this being a failure, but i genuinely cared for the characters, it was fluffy when it needed to be fluffy, satirical when it called for it, brutally violent for just a few moments, strange when it needed some strange, and above all else selfless heroism in a believable way. it seems like the perfect way to make a superhero movie and so far it has been my favorites of the "avengers prequels" Expand
  85. May 14, 2012
    Captain America: The First Avenger has everything the much overblown summer Avenger's movie lacks, namely an actual story (and a compelling one) but also attention to story details, atmosphere, setting, better music, a tighter universe and tension for cripe's sake, something The Avengers fatally lacks (though few seem to mind). Captain America belongs with the better superhero flicks likeCaptain America: The First Avenger has everything the much overblown summer Avenger's movie lacks, namely an actual story (and a compelling one) but also attention to story details, atmosphere, setting, better music, a tighter universe and tension for cripe's sake, something The Avengers fatally lacks (though few seem to mind). Captain America belongs with the better superhero flicks like Watchmen, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and Rocketeer. Expand
  86. May 12, 2012
    This is a very polarizing film. It had it's good elements, and it had it's bad. Ultimately, it was the story that let it down - just a bit too silly. I think the plot should have taken a harder line and made this movie much darker and serious, closer to the feel of the actual comics. This one rates just above Green Lantern, but not much.
  87. May 10, 2012
    Okay, it's kid's movie. At a certain point that undeniable and disappointing. Not much in it for us sober adults. Stoned or buzzed should be the appropriate counter weight to all the corn ball simple mindedness. It starts off with just a sprinkling of mozzarella on top but then quickly gets cheezier and cheezier, until it'oozing all over everything and turning into a sloppy bland mess.
  88. May 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The weakest of the Avengers films so far with an absolutely ridiculous plot and a final showdown that left me thinking WTF more than anything: the plane seems to take longer to take off than it does to cross the Atlantic.... Expand
  89. May 8, 2012
    i went to this at the packed midnight premiere. it was mostly loud teenagers and young 20 somethings yelling across the aisles, so i was worried about how they were going to act when the film began. luckily they were quiet. and luckily the film met my expectations. like you may have guessed the film was as fun and entertaining as the other marvel films, but this one, being mostly set ini went to this at the packed midnight premiere. it was mostly loud teenagers and young 20 somethings yelling across the aisles, so i was worried about how they were going to act when the film began. luckily they were quiet. and luckily the film met my expectations. like you may have guessed the film was as fun and entertaining as the other marvel films, but this one, being mostly set in 1940's WWII really had the nostalgic feel. the warm lighting and the army consisting of the older technology was really authentic. the film was good, just good. i liked most of it and i knew i wasn't going to be blown away or anything. the one thing i didn't enjoy was a five minute segment where the captain was dressed up selling war bonds, it was just cheesy and i guess it was made to be that way. overall i say it wasn't as good as the first iron man, but so much better than thor, which i loathed. and the clip at the end of the credits was worth admition by itself. 3/5 stars Expand
  90. May 8, 2012
    Not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe because I saw the Avengers first and it spoiled me. It's not bad for a one time watch but I can't see myself wanting to ever see it again. I'd rather read the comics.
  91. May 6, 2012
    Captain America is the typical Marvel film-with one exception. The superpowers aren't terribly evident. Sure, he's muscled and strong, but there aren't any real powers given to him- except for maybe increased agility and strength, but not by much. And that's what saves the film- the audience can relate to Rogers' struggle without having to imagine themselves as a superhero in the firstCaptain America is the typical Marvel film-with one exception. The superpowers aren't terribly evident. Sure, he's muscled and strong, but there aren't any real powers given to him- except for maybe increased agility and strength, but not by much. And that's what saves the film- the audience can relate to Rogers' struggle without having to imagine themselves as a superhero in the first place. He's just like you and me- with a badass shield. Expand
  92. May 6, 2012
    Better than Thor but still not the showstopper I expected. It does stay true to the comics and does a good job of showing how the man becomes hero. Hugo Weaving does and excellent job as the evil nemesis.
  93. Apr 30, 2012
    How anyone can call this movie good is beyond me. It would be similar to calling Mc'donalds good food. You can do it but you know you're just lying to yourself.
  94. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could not stand this movie. I hated the character of captain America and the story. But most of all it was just stupid and didn't make any sense Germans with instant kill machine gun lasers and laser tanks vs American riflemen with single shot rifles, but of course only one American dies and the massive army of high tech laser carrying Germans all die. Hated this movie and i left feeling that i had payed to watch American propaganda. (also i hated that they basically didn't include Britain at all except for one very over the top Englishmen) Expand
  95. j30
    Apr 29, 2012
    The costumes and the whole look of the film is great, but the action sequences and story felt flat to me. You do care for the characters and the movie is a nice prequel to The Avengers.
  96. Apr 10, 2012
    Captain America is like an old war comic come to life. Which, I suppose, is exactly as it should be. Good clean superhero fun. It lacks a knockout action set-piece, but does enough to entertain. The beginning and ending make it feel a little too much like an extended trailer for he Avengers, though.
  97. Mar 27, 2012
    This was quite possibly one of the better super hero movies I have seen in a while. First of all, they don't try to modernize it. So many of these super hero movies are modernizing things for today, and they didn't do that with Captain America. Second of all, Chris Evans... Third of all, they include THE COMIC BOOK in the movie - that basically puts the plot in real time, and comic bookThis was quite possibly one of the better super hero movies I have seen in a while. First of all, they don't try to modernize it. So many of these super hero movies are modernizing things for today, and they didn't do that with Captain America. Second of all, Chris Evans... Third of all, they include THE COMIC BOOK in the movie - that basically puts the plot in real time, and comic book time, because the comic was INSPIRED by the true man. They wink to the fans by giving him his true suit on stage when he jokingly punches enemy, but make it more sleek and 'military' like for his real deal outfit when fighting in the movie. True wit - and I'm sorry, no backstory? Um, okay, he's a guy who wants to fight for his country and at first can't - he's helpless with women, his friend is a play - but all he wants is to be proud of himself and his country - gets an opportunity, and becomes the first avenger. PLUS his best friend DIES, which is terrible and awesome at the same time. Expand
  98. Mar 12, 2012
    Like the latest X-men movie, Captain America add a new edge to the superhero formula, by pitting the said hero in world war 2. The director keeps the movie light throughout and does not go into the dark area that Dark Knight brought forward. This is surely not a bad thing especially in the beginning where the scenes are ace and a move in such a pacing that they are a complete funLike the latest X-men movie, Captain America add a new edge to the superhero formula, by pitting the said hero in world war 2. The director keeps the movie light throughout and does not go into the dark area that Dark Knight brought forward. This is surely not a bad thing especially in the beginning where the scenes are ace and a move in such a pacing that they are a complete fun experience. It all looks great especially Evan's transformation to the little guy is impeccable. After that it kind of goes down hill, the set pieces aren't that great and Cap is no Batman, he's just not that interesting. None of this is all that bad except for the fact that the ending is a huge anti-climax which kind of makes the whole movie pointless. Expand
  99. Mar 7, 2012
    An incredible job of Marvel, this is a great film, with much incredible things (Chris Evans for example), but the biggest villian in this movie (I don't talk about Red Skrull) is that is a lot of boring, the story is interesting, but I feel some sansation with this film. A good movie.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Walsh
    May 8, 2016
    Captain America is simply awful. It is another hour and a half of prologue to the film people are apparently waiting for - The Avengers.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Mecca
    May 8, 2016
    Johnston and company are aware that introducing a hero means more than showing off his suit and gadgets or building up the universe he will eventually encapsulate. Before any of that, we must care about who he/she is.
  3. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    May 8, 2016
    Captain America: The First Avenger is one of the finest movies yet from Marvel Studios, and a big departure in tone and storytelling from most of the films they've made so far. It is a strong indicator that the more willing the studio is to experiment, the more exciting the payoffs can be.