6.9

1. Nov 8, 2014
    This is one of the most surprising films i have ever seen. I went in expecting a near Green Lantern style failure, but really this film was really rather good. Now the actual hero Captain America I don't really like, I never found him very interesting, and it is quite difficult to get round that, but this film manages, with a fantastic villain in the form of the the always brilliant Hugo Weaving, and an actual plot *crowd gasps*. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2014
    Captain America: The First Avenger will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Analysis: Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

After seeing a skinny man in an armor suit flying around Manhattan in an exciting summer blockbuster, this is just what I needed. An old-fashioned super-hero movie related to Marvel Cinematic Universe. Unfortunately I couldn’t see “The Incredible Hulk” due to some streaming problems, but I got to see
    Captain America kicking ass in his own right, throwing the shield like a f*cking boomerang. Yeah, that never gets old. While the previous MCU movie was more consistent and entertaining, “Captain America: The First Avenger” still provides well-choreographed fights sequences and a solid story that connects perfectly into Marvel Universe.

At the outset of World War II, Steve Rogers wants nothing more than to join the army. The only problem is that he can't pass the physical. He's tried several times under different names without success. Dr. Abraham Erskine notes his eagerness and recruits him for an experimental project. Rogers is soon transformed, both mentally and physically, into a super soldier where he eventually faces off against the Nazi organization Hydra and its head, known as Red Skull.

The performances are very good. Chris Evans makes a good Captain America. I generally don’t like the character that much, but I must say, Chris fits the role. The one thing that bugs me is that they made him into a CGI creepy-looking kid without even attempting to work a little bit more. Seriously, why did he look so skinny? Just sayin…

But when he transforms himself into a muscular super soldier, things get really nasty. He’s faster, stronger and more intimidating than ever before. The action scenes are very well done, just like in “Iron Man”. No shaky cameras or constantly zoom-in. The most impressive action sequence in this movie is gotta be the chase sequence, where Steve jumps from one car to another and uses a door to block bullets (Oh about that, the door actually has a star in the middle, to resemble Captain America’s classic shield). Ah, classic! His suit looks kind of silly but I guess that’s part of the movie’s charm. After all, this is the 40s, right? The film also features some nice easter eggs and references that we’ll lead us to the Avengers like for example, the Tesseract. This plot device actually appears in The Avengers and it’s used as a portal or some sort of it. Sometimes the movie feels like it only exists just to set up The Avengers, but then the story comes in and that feeling just disappears.

Hugo Weaving as Red Skull is rather good. He really does a nice portrayal of his character, especially when he’s delivering quotable lines like “Hail Hydra!” or when he’s fighting with Captain America. Last time I saw him was in Transformers movies and the Matrix trilogy, which were meh… but whatever. He’s still a great actor.

One of the main problems with the movie is that it lacks originality. Mainly because some clichés peek in the script itself and prevents Joe Johnston (Director of this film) from providing new and interesting ideas to its formula. Not only that, but sometimes the story feels so dumb. However, Chris Evan makes up for that, yeah the guy knows how to act. Some actors have the balls to show how hammy is their acting. A good example of that is “Karate Kid, Part III” where the cast seems bored and seems understanding that they are indeed, overacting. But Evan, he knows how to act moderately. What I’m trying to say is that Marvel has chosen one of the best cast ever. First Robert Downey, now Chris…. It’s perfect.

Final Score to Captain America: The First Avenger: 7/10. Like Rotten Tomatoes stated, this is a solidly old-fashioned summer blockbuster that understands one of the oldest Marvel’s heroes and offers a fun story and nice performances from its main lead, even if sometimes feels like a big set-up for The Avengers. This movie is what I consider an apology from the god-awful, completely forgettable 1990’s film Captain America (That movie was just plain bad). I feel happy for watching this film and I can’t wait to do a review of the next one: Iron Man 2 (2010).
  4. Sep 1, 2014
    The engaging retro vibe given off by The First Avenger and director Joe Johnston is well-worth the viewing. As for Chris Evans: a much needed improvement from the Fantastic Four.
  5. Aug 28, 2014
    To be honest I thought the movie as a whole was a bit bland.

It serves as a great introduction to the character and serves that purpose well. But as a stand alone story it feels like a a whole bunch of filler for a much larger story (which it kinda is.) But that's precisely what I thought was wrong with it. This movie stands on the idea that "bigger" things are coming but seems to
    forget a little that it is its own movie as well.

But in no ways is this a bad movie. Effects are great, story is nice (if a bit flat.) And the character portrayed very well. Aside from Hugo Weaving who feels a little out of place. He did a great job, but is perhaps a bit too high profile for the role.

Overall:
    Captain America : The First Avenger is a fun movie worth watching IF you plan on watching the whole Marvel plan of movies. However, if this was the only Marvel movie you could watch, I would say give it a miss.
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I have spent most of my youth engrossed in the events of X-Men, Captain America (and the Avengers) are a fairly unknown territory for me. However, after falling in love with Iron Man and always harboring a love for Marvel's heroes, I had to check this one out.

It does more than just delivers a prequel to the upcoming Avengers movie; it tells us how Steve Rogers, a small, sickly little man becomes the face and spirit of American warriors - for America is in war, and needs a hero badly to inspire her people.

Steve's continuous struggle to become that hero is admirable, and when he is given the chance to become the first super soldier - at the risk of his own life - he is all too willing to take it. Backed up by Peggy Carter, a stiff army official who cannot risk actually showing her emotions for the new recruit, he undergoes a transformation that makes Steve all he ever wanted to be, now in body as well as in mind.

If only it were that easy; Steve's left hanging immediately post-transformation, and Captain America is born to do commercial work rather than fight beside the brave men in the real war.

When Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) begins strengthening his own army with an unknown power that is either science or magic - or both - Captain America rises to the challenge to finally do what he has yearned to do for most his life; protect his fellow men, and help right triumph over wrong.

Visually, the movie was just about everything you have come to expect from today's superhero films. The characters were not hollow, making you care for them, although they did not spend too much time focusing on those outside the limelight (like the Howling Commados).

The story was a bit slow at places, but kept moving steadily forward. They showed surprisingly little of the present day, but that continues rather directly in the upcoming Avengers movie.
  7. Aug 15, 2014
    The recent Marvel movies haven't been so good, with the exception of "The Avengers", but the two Captain America movies have shined in a series of some not so great movies. I liked this. It's serious, occasionally funny, and heartwarming. It takes the story of Steve Rogers and is faithful to it, and creates a convincing hero--Captain America.
  8. Aug 9, 2014
    this is a spectacular movie, Captain America/Steve Rodgers is cast perfectly with Chris Evans, and this movie has a awesome villain "Red Skull" played by the one and only Hugo Weaving and the action scenes are filmed beautifully.
    i would recommend this to anyone
  9. Aug 9, 2014
    A wonderful cinematography for a decent action flick. "Captain America" is much more interesting than its comics counterpart, although the whole picture seems stupid thanks to an unintelligent plot that has little to say. Marvel superhero lovers may find themselves a bit unfamiliar with the film's different looks, but as a Marvel movie, it is nice overall.
  10. Aug 9, 2014
    Captain America is a fun action/comic book superhero movie but it is also in a way a war movie taking place in world war 2 making it very different than other marvel movies. I liked it but i didn't love it so this Superhero
    flick gets a 7.5/10 a 7.8/10 for action/Special effects 7.3/10 for story/plot 7.5/10 for acting and a 7.7/10 for characters/character development
  11. Jul 30, 2014
    Captain America: The First Avenger is full of action, and tiny deficiencies.

Oh my god, the acting is so incredible, especially by Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving. They are all stunning to see in action! Captain America: The First Avenger truly is cool and groovy to watch, and the action is amazing and highly enjoyable. The CGI are incredible, even thought there are some
    details in the film that don’t look real at all. The film overall is highly unique and the story is magnificent, but there are some illogical and stupid decisions by some of the individuals in the film, which made it weird sometimes.

The things that bothers me most about this movie is the silly events in the film, such as the patriotism. It just ruined the film so much. Another thing is that there happens so much more in the second part of the film, so the first half felt a bit more boring than the last. So yes, there are some negative aspects about this film, but it's still enjoyable, and I forgot no mention the soundtrack, so stunning!

An entertaining, but silly film.

Captain America: The First Avenger gets a 7.9/10
  12. Jul 28, 2014
    Avengers filmine geçiş için karakterleri tanıtmayı amaçlayan ilk filmler biraz aceleye getirildi ama yine de sonuç başarılı, Captain America'yı oynayabileceğinden şüpheli olduğum fantastik dörtlü elemanının sırf bu film için vucut çalışması bile takdir edilesi, hayatımda izlediğim en iyi aksiyon filmlerinden.
  13. Jul 22, 2014
    This is a succesful movie. The fight scenes were cool and the visual effects were outstanding.. But other than this movie is pretty. But there are a few cliches which makes the plot pretty prrdictable from the time to time but that doesn't effect the movie in a big way.
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    Incited by its super polished CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (2014, 7/10), I feel impulsive to watch its prequel, which eluded me when it came out in 2011 chiefly thanks to the irreparable damage caused by Evan’s lame Human Torch act in the awful FANTASTIC 4 duds, and his breakthrough role in the murderously awful comedy NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE (2001, 3/10), I just thought he was not bright enough to be interesting as a national hero, however, both the second Captain American venture and SNOWPIERCER (2013, 7/10) have regained my faith in him, and finally I watched the film.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  15. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט ממש בינוני, היה אפשר להפיק הרבה יותר מגיבור העל הענק הזה, וחבל שהוא קיבל סרט בינוני ומטה שנראה כאילו מארוול עושים טובה שהם עושים אותו, כי ברור שזה לא סרט שהם רצו לעשות אלא רק כדי לעשות את הנוקמים ולא יותר מזה
  16. Apr 18, 2014
    Why does everyone hate on this movie? I thought it would stink considering the reviews but you know what? I actually really liked this movie. I thought the story was nice and epic and they really did make the movie feel like the 40's. It also is extremely patriotic and is like, "'Merica! **** yeah!" which fits the movie perfectly. I mean for gods sake he's CAPTAIN AMERICA. The action was pretty nice but that was my biggest disappointment. The movie just rushes through most of the action, treating it almost like a montage, except for a couple of moments. I personally think they should have made this movie like Tim Burton's Batman, where you find out Cap's past in flashbacks. That way they could cut, like, 25 minutes from this movie and replace it with more dynamic action. Maybe something like Cap running 469 yards to the Red Skull while simultaneously demobilizing 5 tanks, knocking down 800 solders with his shield, maybe even go downhill and surf on the shield, all while being fired at by 39 HYDRA airplanes. THAT SOUNDS COOL Expand
  17. Apr 13, 2014
    A film a that is easy to watch and easy to forget. Captain America didn't seem like a movie but more like a trailer for the upcoming films. An enjoyable first half kept my attention, however the second half becomes primarily concerned on cramming in as many action set pieces to make up for the quieter first act.
  18. Jan 13, 2014
    Captain America is one of the stronger films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and only falls short with the villain, The Red Skull, not having much of a role.
  19. Dec 4, 2013
    Yes Captain America is overall patriotic yet over all i absolutely loved it for the amazing performance from the dude who played Red Skull, I LOVE RD SKULL HE IS ONE OF THE SCARIEST VILLAINS OF ALL TIME(GO READ OLD MAN LOGAN), overall i really enjoyed the film every performance was amazing the diolog was fun and the humor was funny,

-9/10, should be an 8 but the movie made me smile
  20. Nov 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Realistically, I would score this movie about a 4, but I feel obligated to drop it to a 1 just to counteract the inflated scores this garbage has been racking up. I'm baffled as to how this movie got such positive reviews. I can forgive the high audience reviews, because, let's face it, most people are dumb and can't recognize a bad movie when they see it...but, I don't get how the professional critics could have scored this movie so well. This was, quite simply, not a very good movie. The beginning was pretty good, as there was some decent story and character development starting to happen...but once he transforms into Captain America, the movie just turns into a typical corn-ball, over-the-top Hollywood turd. There are some pretty big plot holes. A lot of questions, and some things that are just too difficult to believe ruin any credibility that the first part of the movie had built up. How can Red Skull attach a perfectly realistic human face to his skull in the 1940's?...they can't even do a very good face transplant in 2011, yet Red Skull had a detachable "Hugo Weaving face" that just popped on and off like a Halloween mask...cheesy...bad writing. Then there's the mysterious "blue cube" which is never really explained...they just give the cheap comic book explanation "it's just a mysterious cube of great power, and we don't need to explain it because it's not important that our movie be believable or credible" cheesy...bad writing. Then there's the fact that Captain America has a shield that he can throw from great distances, and it always inexplicably returns to him like some kind of magical boomerang..no explanation as to how the shield does this...cheesy...terrible writing. Just because the shield can do this in the comics doesn't mean you don't have to explain it in the movie. Then there's the fact that Captain America crashes a plane into the icy ground and they just dig him out decades later and bring him back to life...and he hasn't aged a day no explanation...we're just supposed to accept all of this terrible writing and not question it...sorry, Hollywood, I demand better quality from my movies and this will be the last super hero trash I see from you. Expand
  21. Oct 19, 2013
    this film does not represent a good captain america, it is a film with a pretty bad script, this film is the kind of movie that should be forgotten in the future.
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    I don't like Cap in comics but I enjoyed this movie after the first act. It has nice cinematography, fast action and the right actors for the hero and his antagonist. Just don't expect something like Spiderman or Thor. argonautis.eu
  23. Aug 6, 2013
    Esta es la pelicula en donde se destaca un buen trabajo el antiguo superheroe que comienzo siendo un desastre llega en el año en donde puedes comenzar la accion con buenos efectos y habilidades
  24. Aug 5, 2013
    An astonishing film out of Marvel Studios. Captain America is the epitome of entertainment, with a compelling story, top of the line action scenes, and a star studded turn for Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, this is without a doubt one of Marvel's greatest outings to date.
  25. Jul 14, 2013
    Captain America is based on Marvel comic so there are no surprises. However it serves it's purpose to keep viewer entertained. Few wink and nods to the fans and twist in the end give it a bit of extra compared to predecessors from same genre. With all of it's parts summed Captain America comes out positive.
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    A Marvel film which surprisingly feels less than a super-hero movie and more of a great classic pulp-fiction comic (a comic that does not need to be seen in 3-D I might add).

War is spreading at an all time high and America needs a hero! Once an average small frail man, Steve Rogers undergoes an experiment and is boosted into the super-soldier and iconic Captain America, Good in heart
    and mind Steve joins the war to aid and fight against the villianous Nazi Reign ans well as an even deadlier cause from a unknown stronger threat.

I think the biggest surprise of this movie was hearing that Chris Evans was going to be Steve Rogers/Captain America. obviously because he had played The Human Torch in the two "Fantastic Four" movies.

Believe me i was more skeptical than anyone, some friend of mine declared "Well, he does look alot like Steve Rogers", to which i jokingly said "That doesn't really mean Sh*t though does it?", still i was open to seeing what he could do with the character and in all honesty Chris nailed the role. His performance does make us care about Steve before and after the Transformation and it's executed well enough to make us sympathise with Rogers's plight without pushing it to deeply.

Tommy Lee Jones is Awesome as always playing the symbol of authority, Haylie Atwell is charming an enjoyable as a Fem-fatele, yet the romance between her character and Capt's is pretty cheap and stupid, Stanley Tucci is again well casted as a wise mentor to Rogers, and finally Hugo Weaving is brilliant as Red Skull and finally justice has been done to a great comic book villain.

Aside from that everything is fun, the references to "Raiders" was great, it mocked the old costume and popularity of the 40's comics and most importantly it made the character more than respectable, all the more reason i can't wait to see him again in "The Avengers" (stay after the credits for the Trailer!!).

Final Verdict: Remembering when this film was first announced and the hype that went into it, Captain America will more than exceed expectations.
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    My second favorite of the Avenger movies only behind Iron Man. I was skeptical but Chris Evans does a good job as Steve Rogers and Hugo Weaving is perfect as Red Skull.
  28. Jun 17, 2013
    Tough movie to rate since it's an origin story and all origin stories are a little rough, though I felt as though this one went pretty smoothly. The ending was a tad rough, but I thought that Chris Evans did very well in the lead role and Hayley Atwell did well as his lover. Overall, not the best film ever, but far from the worst.
  29. May 31, 2013
    This movie is the reason I like Captain America. I love the story of a weak man becoming the perfect soldier. The ending was great and it had me feeling very sorry for Steve Rogers. If you're a fan of Captain America, this movie will not disappoint you.
  30. May 29, 2013
    I thought this movie was really good but it definitely wasn't the "best superhero movie ever" like so many people have proclaimed. They could've developed some of the characters beyond Steve and Peggy more and given the movie more depth. That would've made certain character deaths more meaningful. The action sequences, while not as impressive as some of the other superhero movies, were still awesome in their own right and the fight scenes were fairly entertaining. The ending could've been a lot more emotional as well. I'm not asking for sobbing and ridiculous crying but if you actually think about what was happening, having some more emotion would've made it feel more genuine and authentic. Chris Evans is great as Captain America though. His role doesn't call for the darkness of Bruce Wayne or the charisma of Tony Stark but it does call for a certain level of confidence and straightforwardness and arrogance. Chris Evans hits all of those well. One of the few other weak parts was the villain. The Red Skull just wasn't all that terrifying or intimidating. Sure, he wanted to "take over the world" but nothing really made him uniquely evil other than his skinless head. All in all though, this was a very good movie and while it wasn't as good as the other Avengers films in my opinion, it is still better than most action movies around. Expand
  31. May 23, 2013
    All eyes were firmly focused on Captain America in his first outing, simply because he was the last piece of the jigsaw which fitted into the Avengers, and my no means did this overshadow a brilliant, fun and energetic story.
    Chris Evans has bulked up and left his Human Torch days behind to take on the mantle of Steve Rogers, but when we first see him in the film he isn't exactly a 'super
    soldier'. With the clever effects of digital imaging, he is a small, skinny and underwhelming health hazard, endlessly trying to join the army during World War II, but when he is selected for a program by Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci), to enhance his abilities to the peak of human physicality, he sees an opportunity to finally fulfil his dream.
    Also part of the wider program is Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones), who is immediately skeptical of Rogers involvement, but is influenced by Erskine and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), who is immediately drawn to the eventual Captain.
    On the other side of the lines, the German's deep science division, HYDRA, is slowly trying to remove itself from the shadow of the Third Reich to make a name for itself. after finding a mythical object known as the Tesseract, Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving) is out to win the war all on his own.
    Captain America has a wonderfully accurate period setting that is told very much like an older film. The characters are what we would expect with their dialogue and even occasional stereotypical whims, Colonel Phillips plays the typical sarcastic yet battle hardened veteran, Carter is a woman trying to make a name for herself while we also meet Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) who is the man with his head firmly in front of everything, looking into the future...remind you of anyone?Also appearing are Neal McDonough, Toby Jones and Sebastian Stan.
    Unlike Thor, there isn't much interference in terms of linking all these Marvel films together from S.H.I.E.L.D., our First Avenger stands firmly on his own, and some of the scenes in this film are truly excellent to watch, with a very big story being told and not too much of a reliance on special effects for a cheap trick explosion.
    Chris Evans take on Steve Rogers is interestingly enjoyable, because even after he receives the serum which changes his whole life, he remains the same, much of what the serum is promoted as, it doesn't create, it strengthens all the attributes within the body, and this film was fantastic swan song to the Phase One solo films before the blockbuster Avengers took off.
  32. May 12, 2013
    The plot can can go fast, and very humble that takes some of the climax of it, but in the end it draws the conclusion that is satisfactory to both the older fans, and for the casual and makes a good ground for The Avengers.
  33. May 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Huge Weaving and Stan Lee give the best performances of the movie. The genesis story for the Cap is pretty damn good as well, but afterwards the movie falls flat. The writing is not that great, the action doesn't make much sense (how does Captain manage to take out heavily guarded, high-tech facilities with a group of 10 dudes?) and the emotional core of the film is not there. It's not terrible by any means but it definitely digresses into a typical, poorly-written Hollywood film after a very strong beginning. Expand
  34. May 1, 2013
    This is, from what I can tell, almost perfectly accurate to marvel lore. It is funny, it is suspenseful, it has romance and loss and heroism and men rising to the challenge. Don't listen to the negative reviews, this deserves nothing less than a 10.
  35. Apr 28, 2013
    In my opinion this is the worst Avengers lead-in movie.
    It's hard to pin down exactly what my problem with it is. Maybe it's the lack of Nazis in WW2. Maybe it's the possibly interesting parts being presented in a quick hokey montage. Maybe it's the mini submarines and laser beams/tanks. There are a few good things: Hugo Weaving as Red Skull, Captain America and his love interest, Tony
    Stark's father, the tie-ins to the Avengers and Tommy Lee Jones.
    So yeah this is by far the worst Avengers lead-in.
  36. Apr 25, 2013
    A solid performance from Chris Evans and an enjoyable first half kept my attention. However, the second half becomes primarily concerned on cramming in as many action set pieces to make up for the quieter first act.
  37. Apr 21, 2013
    No need to poke the history of creating films of this type of hostility. In my opinion, a very cheap imitation of BATMAN. Pretty much to not enter a category.
  38. Apr 8, 2013
    Thor, Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. 2011 is a 'Minor American Superhero Films' year I guess, while 2012 is gonna be 'Major American Superhero Films' year because 'BigBang' movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's The Avengers and also one of the most anticipated films in movie history, The Dark Knight Rises, will be released in that year. To initiate, I'm greatly disappointed with CA: TFA. I expected more,I assumed fresh contents will be shown but the ideas which entertain me are recycled stuffs.

I felt that this movie is mediocre at it's best. Scenes after scenes are filled with bland dialogues (bad script!), which successfully left me detached in the middle of the film, and somehow murdered my interest. The movie could have at least left me hanging to the rope, but it further killed me with an uninteresting characters and boring and predictable plot. 'TSK'! I'm disheartened, I was expecting something spectacular.

Acting-wise, It has nothing much to offer. Chris Evan, being the main actor of the movie, is somehow negligible but still nonetheless, I guess his performance is not too bad and sincerely believe that he is a talented actor. He is more that what he appears to be in the movie. Despite having some ordinary performances, I'm captivated by Hugo Weaving's presence as the primary villain of this picture, Red Skull. There's some kind of charm or charisma in his performance. His body language and 'pleasure to listen to' English accent is desirable, I would vote that Hugo Heaving is one of the reasons on why this movie is still worthy to witness.

Still, Captain America is an appealing motion picture. I admire the well designed costumes and some of the fine artistic elements of the films. The sets of the film are incredibly interesting and it is very successful in dragging me into the 1940s world. Those efforts are well navigated, and yes it accomplished.

I picked X-Men: First Class to be the best American Superhero movie of 2011 because it has a tight script, fine performances and well-developed characters but sadly, Captain America: TFA does not possessed all those offers. This film is genuinely average. Sorry :)

(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall) (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (Alex_DeSmall)
  39. Mar 22, 2013
    A bland, unspectacular superhero movie with a forced love angle. It fails to excite, lacking humor and devoid of any style: be it narrative or directional.
  40. Feb 26, 2013
    A solid prerequisite to 'The Avengers' but predictably unimaginative and mediocre in almost every conceivable way possible. We've come to expect more from superhero blockbusters and this falls short: CGI'd Chris Evans short.
  41. Feb 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The problem with a lot of these action-hero movies is that they're all anachronistic and that these superheroes are simply outdated notions of teenage fantasies from way back that do not fit today's reigning philosophy of moral relativism. (Not saying that's a good or bad thing but it does mean that all these heroes come across as terribly old-fashioned, kind of like your grandpa that won't stop raving about the olden days) This movie intentionally plays out like a propaganda movie just to hide the fact that it is a cheap action movie. The acting is okay but the set pieces, costumes and storyline are just plain B-movie quality. Nothing is ever explained and they could as well have placed the story in a 2040's setting. The fighting scenes are just horrible and the gun fights are reminiscent of G.I Joe's better episodes. The bitter irony was the ending of the movie where the antagonist, who flies a nuclear bomber, proclaims that "in the future there will be no flags" and the protagonist then proudly utters "Not if I can help it!" after which he proceeds to crash the bomber into the ground. I'm pretty sure the only people who flew nuclear bombers during World War 2 were Americans and they never had the common courtesy to fly one into the ground before reaching its destination either. And what's the deal with Red Face's vision of the future? So Captain America is responsible for 70 more years of suffering caused by the greed of individuals and governments? I reckon Captain American was an anachronism before he was even invented. What a horribly politically correct movie. Expand
  42. Feb 22, 2013
    I'm sure the regular followers of my blog are shocked to see that I gave a superhero/comic book movie a perfect rating. It is a well known fact, that while I'm a Science Fiction fanatic, I hate superheroes and comics. I wanted to see Captain America though, because I'm fascinated by the Avengers. I really can't see how all those big stars are going to work together, so I wanted to see all the films leading up to the Avengers, so I could follow along. Tommy Lee Jones, one of my favorite actors of all time, is one of the stars of this film, and I know he won't sign on to do just anything, so I knew that Captain America would at the very least be watchable. The more and more I got into Captain America, the most surprised I was by it's realism and honesty, it's not just the story of another superhero and how he's going to fit into the Avengers, it's the story of a very likeable character who wants to be something more than he is. I also loved the fact that this film took place in the 1940's as opposed to the modern era, because it gave a uniqueness to the story. I didn't feel like I was watching another Superman or Batman type of movie, I was really seeing something unique. The cast was fantastic, Chris Evans in particular, I don't know where the people who do the casting for these movies keep finding these guys, but each newcomer is better than the last. Captain America is unique and doesn't feel like a superhero out of some comic book. Comics are often based in extreme fantasy and appeal to those who want to escape their reality. Captain America was different though as he choses not to runaway, but to continually better himself, making him a uniquely remarkable character and it's those qualities that helped make a unique and remarkable film. Expand
  43. Dec 22, 2012
    The early 1940's represents tough times. A horrible war is being fought, and Colonel Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) strongly believes that sweet victory will be embraced by the side that places more confidence in men than in weapons.

The United States of America needs the best soldiers they can find, and in comes a young man with an unparalleled desire to serve his country. His name is
    Steve Rogers. He is an asthmatic and weighs less than a hundred pounds. If he Expand
  44. Dec 9, 2012
    "Captain America" is a decent superhero movie. On the plus side, it's got good acting, good characters, some fun action and a fairly compelling plot. Tommy Lee Jones also lends a lot of healthy humor to the film. On the negative side, it does seem to make itself a bit too grand at points with some overuse of slow-motion, "hero jumping" shots and an excessive amount of obvious CGI where practical effects and stunt people could have easily been used to create a more believable look. That, and Red Skull's makeup was a little too comic-booky in its appearance, and stood out as rather silly against a context otherwise engineered as more grounded. Overall, it's good but not great. Expand
  45. Dec 7, 2012
    Very good, but not as good as Thor or X-Men.

I really liked everything about this film. The story, the characters, the effects, the fighting, the cinematography, the setting, it all worked...but one thing I really liked was the cast. Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, and Stanley Tucci are three actors that I really like a lot. So having them in a film of this genre, playing awesome
    characters gives this film so much more that I can appreciate. They all give good performances. Even Chris Evans was good and likable as Steve/ Capt. America...even though I was completely skeptical at first.

Everything about this film worked for me...which is great. But it's also one of the film's weaknesses. I felt like it all just works because I had seen it all before; it felt too safe for me. Also, this was way too superhero-y for me, but that's just my opinion.

Overall though, I really liked this. I was completely entertaining, and it helps to have a good story and cast , too. I completely recommend this.
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    Though it is exceptionally entertaining and easily Chris Evans' best film to date, I only wish it would offer the subtle undertone of realism that all of its other Marvel: Phase One siblings contained.
  47. Nov 23, 2012
    Captain America: The First Avenger is the first movie timelined throughout the Marvel cinematic universe. Chris Evans does a great job of portraying Marvel's first fictional superhero/Steve Rogers. Plot: Steve Rogers is an American citizen within the year 1942 during WW2. He is dedicated to serving his country yet doesn't have the right physical build to enlist as an American soldier. When Dr. Erskine (Stanley Tucci) realizes that he is dedicated to his country he gives him a chance and changes his life forever when he gives him the chance to participate in his super soldier program. However, while Dr. Eskine was in Germany perfecting his super soldier serum, Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving), the leader of Hydra, a subdivsion of Hitler's army; becomes interested and forcefully injects himself with it becoming the unnaturally strong, and evil Red Skull. Schmidt also finds the tesseract, a blue glowing cube capable of unlimited energy. Schmidt uses this to evolve his weapons at an unreasonable rate posing bigger threats throughout the war. As Rogers becomes Captain America, he sets out on a campaign to end Schmidt's reign of terror as part of his duty as an American soldier. Opinion: believalbly set in WW2 with a great blend of fiction throughout reminds the world how terrifying WW2 really was, and that hope could be found even in the darkest of times. Well done, I reccomend it for anyone involved in WW2 and for those patriotic to America, I also reccomend it for anyone who wants to introduce themselves to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Expand
  48. Nov 7, 2012
    I honestly walked into the theater expecting a pretty mediocre film. Thank you, Marvel Studios for proving me wrong. Captain America is better than Thor in every way.
  49. Oct 10, 2012
    Although it never sets the pulse racing to an extreme, CA is a really solid and enjoyable superhero flick. It's pretty damn cool how they weave the story to allows for CA's appearance in a daft red, white & blue costume, and as a whole the film adopts a pretty fresh approach to the typical superhero scenarios and dilemmas. The arch villain is very cool, and the film itself had a great balance and mixture of comic book fantasy and WW2 "realism" too. It can feel at times as if it's nothing more than a pre-cursor to The Avengers, but it's one which is done well and entertains plenty in the process. Check it out. Expand
  50. Aug 30, 2012
    What is there to say, really? This film contains good acting, an at times shallow script, and off pacing. It's fun to watch once, but I can't see it being especially remembered in the future.
  51. Aug 13, 2012
    Captain America is a decent superhero film. In some ways, its better than Thor, and in some ways its even worse. Some lines are very cheesy but the movie, overall, is very well paced, and has some good actors. Chris Evans does a great job as "The Captain" but honestly, I wanted more from this film. There are many stupid and unnecessary scenes that brings this movie down, and it really didn't have to be that way. Expand
  52. Aug 12, 2012
    So after Iron Man, Hulk and Thor, last but not least it was Captain America's turn to make his big screen début as part of the Avengers development.

The First Avenger spends the first half the film covering the origin story of the Captain, which from an previously uninformed point of view was something I greatly appreciated.

With almost the majority of the action set during
    WWII, the film is similar to a war movie, especially once the Captain recruits his band of soldiers who then spend their time destroying Nazi science labs at ease. Think of Inglorious Bastards meets Band of Brothers but without the Tarantino violence and humour and the epicness and sincerity of the mini-series. The score also sounds familiar when heard in a war setting.

Chris Evans is successful as Captain America and holds up to the pressures of a leading man. He plays the superhero with the right amount of patriotism and conscience without being overbearing. However, Hugo Weaving's Red Skull was a disappointment.

As an origin story First Avenger is solid and the retro setting is hugely original for a superhero movie, however as a general action film, I felt that the plot, mainly the threat of the Red Skull, and the action sequences were not as strong as they could have been. America simply seems to clout everyone he meets with his shield before running onto the next, there is little variation in his tactics or in the challenges he faces.
  53. Jul 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love action, I love fiction and I love a passionate story. Mix it all and a movie should receive 5 or more points. Captain America failed in all mentioned categories. Its not its spider-man-like story: good loser turns into super hero why the story became an abomination: Its just that it is predictable: The brave scientist which gets shot, the best friend which can not be saved although mighty Cptn. is super strong, the only girl in the story is the heros passion. Now add some James Bond gadgets coming from nowhere and you have an invincible hero. Not that they at first have to fight enemies with über-guns, they werent even surprised by what the enemy threw at them. Alas the bad guy could have saved the movie, but it was just too obvious that the impersonation of evil was played by "Mr. Smith" from Matrix: He looks like him, he acts like him, and even his metamorphosis to a red-skinned-something was just invented to pretend to have a real bad ass. In fact the bad guys act as stupid as the good guy and are nothing but cannon fodder. What was wrong with the fiction: Bad guy made through almost the same as the good guy to get his evil powers. Only difference one has a pure heart the other has not. Bad guy discovers a divine energy thingy but this does not help him either. It was just put into the movie to be able to make up some special FX with laser guns which would not have been common at the time the movie plays. The only thing needed for the good guys to block the special FX weapon is a shield from a metal which you never-heard-before and is indistructable. Funny thing: Its painting looks worn out after being shot at some times. So if you saw Matrix 3 and liked the movie because of the action, well this is what was good about Matrix 3. Cptn. Americas action is about a guy sneaking into an enemy base with a stars-and-stripes-painted shield - at least it wasnt glowing - and then beating up all enemies. Every 5th enemy is hit by the shield which behaves like a boomerang and returns to Cptn. America just in time to block the next blow. Btw. the only thing the Cptn. is afraid of is not the super powers of the enemy, nor the mysterious weapons which can dematerialize you within an instant when being hit, no, its flame throwers which make him duck and cover. At least: if you still want to watch the movie: look out for about its three funny scenes. Its not that its worth seeing them, its just makes you hope that there will be more. Expand
  54. Jul 21, 2012
    I didn't enjoy this film as much as the hype would have made me believe. It is average at best for a comic book film. I am not sure how much of this story I would change, as obviously it leads into the Avengers, but as a stand-alone film, I do not think that it is particularly good. I prefer a more intelligent film and, coming from England, I found the patriotism was more than a little annoying on occasion. Expand
  55. Jul 3, 2012
    The film is a solid motion-picture event. It has "make me impressed" written all over, and in eye-popping 3D. But Captain America never tries to go beyond. And it's globetrotting script reveals that the script doesn't have much to show, in which the movie let's visuals take over. In the end, it's what you would expect. And not for the better...
  56. May 25, 2012
    The effects and stunt work? Close to piss-poor. The acting? Marvelous. Joe Johnston's direction? Good. Add this up, and we get an okay MARVEL movie, but one of the weakest in the MARVEL cinematic universe. You'll enjoy it, but only just, and not the same compared to the others.
  57. May 22, 2012
    I'm so sick of origin stories but that was the only part of this movie that worked. Once he turns into the Captain this movie becomes just a crappy actioner. How many times can a guy be shooting - cut to Captain America gas pedaling him? The action scenes reminded me of the type I thought we moved on from a long time ago in low budget 80s movies where 100s of soldiers kinda just fall over and somehow I'm supposed to find that interesting like if I were watching someone play Goldeneye for N64. Expand
  58. May 16, 2012
    this movie was everything it should have been and nothing more. it wasnt exceptionally deep, but it was pleasantly surprising and a great character piece. having never read the captain america comics before i had only expectations of this being a failure, but i genuinely cared for the characters, it was fluffy when it needed to be fluffy, satirical when it called for it, brutally violent for just a few moments, strange when it needed some strange, and above all else selfless heroism in a believable way. it seems like the perfect way to make a superhero movie and so far it has been my favorites of the "avengers prequels" Expand
  59. May 14, 2012
    Captain America: The First Avenger has everything the much overblown summer Avenger's movie lacks, namely an actual story (and a compelling one) but also attention to story details, atmosphere, setting, better music, a tighter universe and tension for cripe's sake, something The Avengers fatally lacks (though few seem to mind). Captain America belongs with the better superhero flicks like Watchmen, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and Rocketeer. Expand
  60. May 12, 2012
    This is a very polarizing film. It had it's good elements, and it had it's bad. Ultimately, it was the story that let it down - just a bit too silly. I think the plot should have taken a harder line and made this movie much darker and serious, closer to the feel of the actual comics. This one rates just above Green Lantern, but not much.
  61. May 10, 2012
    Okay, it's kid's movie. At a certain point that undeniable and disappointing. Not much in it for us sober adults. Stoned or buzzed should be the appropriate counter weight to all the corn ball simple mindedness. It starts off with just a sprinkling of mozzarella on top but then quickly gets cheezier and cheezier, until it'oozing all over everything and turning into a sloppy bland mess.
  62. May 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The weakest of the Avengers films so far with an absolutely ridiculous plot and a final showdown that left me thinking WTF more than anything: the plane seems to take longer to take off than it does to cross the Atlantic.... Expand
  63. May 8, 2012
    i went to this at the packed midnight premiere. it was mostly loud teenagers and young 20 somethings yelling across the aisles, so i was worried about how they were going to act when the film began. luckily they were quiet. and luckily the film met my expectations. like you may have guessed the film was as fun and entertaining as the other marvel films, but this one, being mostly set in 1940's WWII really had the nostalgic feel. the warm lighting and the army consisting of the older technology was really authentic. the film was good, just good. i liked most of it and i knew i wasn't going to be blown away or anything. the one thing i didn't enjoy was a five minute segment where the captain was dressed up selling war bonds, it was just cheesy and i guess it was made to be that way. overall i say it wasn't as good as the first iron man, but so much better than thor, which i loathed. and the clip at the end of the credits was worth admition by itself. 3/5 stars Expand
  64. May 8, 2012
    Not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe because I saw the Avengers first and it spoiled me. It's not bad for a one time watch but I can't see myself wanting to ever see it again. I'd rather read the comics.
  65. May 6, 2012
    Captain America is the typical Marvel film-with one exception. The superpowers aren't terribly evident. Sure, he's muscled and strong, but there aren't any real powers given to him- except for maybe increased agility and strength, but not by much. And that's what saves the film- the audience can relate to Rogers' struggle without having to imagine themselves as a superhero in the first place. He's just like you and me- with a badass shield. Expand
  66. May 6, 2012
    Better than Thor but still not the showstopper I expected. It does stay true to the comics and does a good job of showing how the man becomes hero. Hugo Weaving does and excellent job as the evil nemesis.
  67. Apr 30, 2012
    How anyone can call this movie good is beyond me. It would be similar to calling Mc'donalds good food. You can do it but you know you're just lying to yourself.
  68. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could not stand this movie. I hated the character of captain America and the story. But most of all it was just stupid and didn't make any sense Germans with instant kill machine gun lasers and laser tanks vs American riflemen with single shot rifles, but of course only one American dies and the massive army of high tech laser carrying Germans all die. Hated this movie and i left feeling that i had payed to watch American propaganda. (also i hated that they basically didn't include Britain at all except for one very over the top Englishmen) Expand
  69. j30
    Apr 29, 2012
    The costumes and the whole look of the film is great, but the action sequences and story felt flat to me. You do care for the characters and the movie is a nice prequel to The Avengers.
  70. Apr 10, 2012
    Captain America is like an old war comic come to life. Which, I suppose, is exactly as it should be. Good clean superhero fun. It lacks a knockout action set-piece, but does enough to entertain. The beginning and ending make it feel a little too much like an extended trailer for he Avengers, though.
  71. Mar 27, 2012
    This was quite possibly one of the better super hero movies I have seen in a while. First of all, they don't try to modernize it. So many of these super hero movies are modernizing things for today, and they didn't do that with Captain America. Second of all, Chris Evans... Third of all, they include THE COMIC BOOK in the movie - that basically puts the plot in real time, and comic book time, because the comic was INSPIRED by the true man. They wink to the fans by giving him his true suit on stage when he jokingly punches enemy, but make it more sleek and 'military' like for his real deal outfit when fighting in the movie. True wit - and I'm sorry, no backstory? Um, okay, he's a guy who wants to fight for his country and at first can't - he's helpless with women, his friend is a play - but all he wants is to be proud of himself and his country - gets an opportunity, and becomes the first avenger. PLUS his best friend DIES, which is terrible and awesome at the same time. Expand
  72. Mar 12, 2012
    Like the latest X-men movie, Captain America add a new edge to the superhero formula, by pitting the said hero in world war 2. The director keeps the movie light throughout and does not go into the dark area that Dark Knight brought forward. This is surely not a bad thing especially in the beginning where the scenes are ace and a move in such a pacing that they are a complete fun experience. It all looks great especially Evan's transformation to the little guy is impeccable. After that it kind of goes down hill, the set pieces aren't that great and Cap is no Batman, he's just not that interesting. None of this is all that bad except for the fact that the ending is a huge anti-climax which kind of makes the whole movie pointless. Expand
  73. Mar 7, 2012
    An incredible job of Marvel, this is a great film, with much incredible things (Chris Evans for example), but the biggest villian in this movie (I don't talk about Red Skrull) is that is a lot of boring, the story is interesting, but I feel some sansation with this film. A good movie.
  74. Mar 7, 2012
    Captain America: The First Avenger is the last Marvel Superhero film of 2011, and the final film to feature the superhero quartet that will join forces in the big budget 2012 crossover; The Avengers. It is set in 1942 America and stars Chris Evans (Fantastic Four, Not Another Teen Movie) as Steve Rogers, a small American citizen rejected by the US Army for health reasons. However, after being overheard arguing with his future sidekick Bucky (Sebastian Stan) over his rights to support his country, he is recruited by scientist Dr. Abraham Erskine, vigorously trained by British Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) and Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones as Tommy Lee Jones) and is chosen for the Super Soldier project, a program to give him peak human strength and agility. Meanwhile, the evil Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) and the â Expand
  75. Mar 2, 2012
    An enjoyable adventure that can appeal to children as well as adults. The story is decent and the action scenes are executed well. The WWII setting is recreated in a believable way and help to distinguish it from other superhero films. The titular character is morally upright, stoic and luckily his human side is given enough exposure so that he doesn't come across as bland. The film sags in the second act and side characters are pretty forgettable but it's still worth your time. Expand
  76. Feb 17, 2012
    A period piece set in the second World War! What magic is this? Actually, It's a movie known as "Captain America: The First Avenger" and it actually holds up rather well against some other recent dreadful comic book films *cough* Iron Man 2 *cough*. It a small way it could almost be likened to "Inglourious Basterds" in that it follows fictional characters in a made up scenario, but in a very REAL war. The action scenes and soundtrack are fantastic yet I couldn't help but feel that the script and direction were too overly simplified. Expand
  77. Feb 7, 2012
    A very fun movie, with some welcome cliches and homages to adventure movies of the past. Unlike Thor, this movie delivers a much stronger script and more exciting action. Early in the movie Captain America chases down a car on foot. This scene is more exciting than most of the CG driven action scenes in Thor. The movie does a good job of building up the character and his motivations. The retro sets and costumes were also very fun to look at. Expand
  78. Jan 28, 2012
    A pleasant surprise, easy cheesey fun and I say that as someone who has never read a Captain America comic book and probably never will, I'm not even American. The standard movie flag waving 'USA is awesome' even felt less hackneyed here than in many others of its ilk. It's not going to inspire many deep thoughts, but it will take you for a fun frivolous ride for an hour or so.
  79. Jan 27, 2012
    A fun action movie for fans of the comic books! Captain America is awesome, better than your average action film. It actually has a story and good characters! Worth the time, and I hope there's a sequel, because I will definitely be seeing it!
  80. Jan 27, 2012
    Well-casted, fast-paced and groundbreaking, but without feeling empty or forgettable, 'Captain America' is a fine example of what a blockbuster should be, but rarely is.
  81. Jan 24, 2012
    I liked the film a lot more than I expected to. Chris Evans was ok as a lead but I hated the whole idea of having his CGI-ed with a small body, It annoyed me a lot because it looked terrible. There was a lot of action though and it was an enjoyable film, Hugo Weaving was a great villian. It also did a good job at providing background for the Avengers film. Worth the watch imo.
  82. Jan 17, 2012
    Chris Evans is surprisingly believable as Steve Rogers. You believe that he believes. I still think he is miscast though. Maybe that is down to my stubborness of believing the only person who could of played Captain America was a 50 year old Robert Redford. The story is smart, but the action isn't nor is it frequent enough. I will be interested in see this Rogers in The Avengers though.
  83. Jan 1, 2012
    I did enjoy it for the most part and I thought it was a good comic book movie. Hugo Weaving was a great villian and Tommy Lee Jones was a solid supporting actor too. I thought it ended good too and it worked perfectly to set up how the Captain came into the new time period without really messing anything up or giving a stupid explaination for it either. However there are some problems that I had with it.

1. Chris Evans is a rather poor lead. He does get better somewhat later on in the film but he just isnt a satisfying lead in this film at all.

2. I hated how the action scenes not only looked painfully obviously fake but they were slowed down in an attempt to make it look cool when really it looked trash. Id have rathed let the action scenes play out in real time then try to patheticly re-create an action scene from 300.

3. The plot didnt really satisfy you. It was good enough to keep you watching without really thinking of it or asking questions but once it was over, You realize how shallow it actually is and how good of a job they did at covering it up.

Overall it was a good comic book movie but it had its flaws.
  84. Dec 23, 2011
    captain america is a good movie. It had good characters, nice performances and well blended CGI works, with well choreographed action scenes. It had a taste of humor and also patriotism. A cool movie after a long time. This is quite better than green lantern.
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    Captain America was not only a great action flick but also provided detailed background on how Captain America was created. The film also stayed true to the comic book although additions in the movie only seemed to improve its "wow" factor. Although the film was pretty good throughout, the easy death of the villian was a major dissapointment.
  86. Dec 19, 2011
    I wish the movie would have stayed truer to the comics, but oh well, its a good try. Overall, I rank Captain America as one of the better superhero movies. Not as good as Iron Man, but not as bad as Thor.
  87. Dec 15, 2011
    Out of all the major Marvel superheroes, Steve Rogers is definitely the least interesting of the bunch. He's a lot like Superman where he's basically the embodiment of good... and well... that's about it. The movie runs into this problem. How do you make a good movie when your hero is simply a patriotic do-gooder? Well thanks to Chris Evans' performance and a script that has fun with the material, Captain America ends up being a superhero movie full of fun and excitement, even if it doesn't quite overcome all of its obstacles. The movie's strongest element is its pacing. The screenwriters smartly focus the movie's running time on how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America which is the most interesting part of the story. When it comes to the development of the romance between Rogers and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) and Captain America's mission to take down the Red Skull, the movie breezes on through like a WWII highlight reel. There is a more drawn out action scene where Captain America has to rescue Allied prisoners, but the filmmakers seem to realize that once you see Captain America take down one group of Hydra soldiers, you don't really need to see it again. The movie does get a little too cheesy for its own good, but unlike "Green Lantern," the cheesiness only hits for brief stints, and I mean come on, it's Captain America. That's practically a recipe for cheese right there. The only real problem "Captain America" faces is its less than fascinating hero. He's so purely good that every choice he makes turns out to be a predictable one. Like I said before, the filmmakers handle him well, but there's only so much you can do with the character. Expand
  88. Dec 13, 2011
    This was a decent movie. The 3D did add to the theatrical experience. I went to go see this with a friend and the 3D was so realistic that he flinched when Captain America threw his shield. What I liked best about this movie was that it took place during WW11. That being said I enjoyed the costumes and hair. I can't say whether all of that stuff was accurate because I wasn't alive back then. For an action and special effects movie it actually had a good plot. It was way better then what I was expecting. I actually even liked the acting. Didn't really like the casting. The Red Skull has to be one of my favorite Marvel villains. Although this is not the best war movie around it is fun to watch. Expand
  89. Dec 10, 2011
    I will be the first to admit I'm not a big Captain America fan. But this movie was great, I even waited till it was on DVD because of all the disappointments over the summer. First off I liked how they jumped right into the action, but besides that there was comedy, and romance. For someone who is not a big fan it shocked me and was right up there with x-men first class (which is my favorite of all the comic movies). I look forward to the second one. Expand
  90. Nov 20, 2011
    one of the breatest hero movies ever :) the acting is great, seen hugo weaving as the red skull was a great bonus, every bit of this movie its great an important to tell captain america's real story, a few changes from the comics but it was so it could be realistic or believable im going to give it a 10!
  91. Nov 17, 2011
    Captain America is the best of the superhero films from Marvel this year. It has a great story that turned out better than I expected it to be. It is the best superhero film of 2011.
  92. Nov 13, 2011
    There has been few good superhero movies over the last decade (excluding the first Iron Man and Christopher's Batman franchise) and Captain America is no exception. While the movie had some originality at the beginning, with the movie staying true to the WWII setting, the movie quickly veered away from that. It quickly became another bland modern action thriller. Terrible dialogue, extremely predictable (though some decent character development), this is no exception to a failing superhero genre. Expand
  93. Nov 11, 2011
    Not a great movie but watchable if you are a fan. I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay movie were there are action scenes and no story. Good action scenes but overall a less than decent movie. Marvel movies nowadays are a complete disaster.
  94. Nov 3, 2011
    I lvoe a good comic book flick, when they're good. And this one is great! I wasn't a fan of the overly CGI home-world of Thor but ol' Cap's backstory, origins were fantastic and sublimely filmed by Joe Johnston who's had a bumpy career thus far, some hits and some misses, but here he's given us a fairly grounded but still over the top (it IS comic book material overall) romp through the origins of our first Avenger... Oh, and the heartbreaking final line actually made me shed a tear and I fricken HATE when movies turn me into a sap ball. The highlight was seeing Dobby as a Nazi super villain, well, he wasn't very super but his superior, Red Skull, was. Expand
  95. Nov 2, 2011
    Somehow this film clicks, but I'm not sure how. The main character is strong and Evans does well in the role, perhaps his best performance ever. Weaving is spectacular as ever, along with Tucci and Jones. Yes, this film has an excellent cast. However, this film compared to it's story-arch predecessors is far less flashy and much more scrappy. That is what I suppose makes it click, but aren't superheroes supposed to both? Regardless, this is an easy addition to the Avengers project and it will be interesting to see how well Capt. America stands alongside his teammates. Expand
  96. Oct 30, 2011
    Captain America The First Avenger is an good entertainment and enjoyable movie no doubt . But Compering with Iron Man and Thor it was not that great , its better then Hulk though . Evans did good also the other characters but none of them were ironic like R.D.jr , Hams-worth or Tom Hiddleston as Iron man , Thor and Loki . They were so good and perfectly fit . at least Evans did better then Ed Norton . story was good . they spent nearly one hour to show how C A was made and they did a fine job . love to see a sequel . Expand
  97. Oct 30, 2011
    It is basically an above average film. However, I just personally do not like the ending - The ending is not proper enough - It does not respond back to the exposition of the film. It is just a fake cliffhanger which tries to attract us to watch "The Avengers" in the coming year. Pfff...
  98. Oct 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another Marvel Atrocity, It has a strong start, then quickly ran out of steam especially in the climax of the battle between good and evil. Red Skull was a seriously lousy villain. He was more laughable than frightening, especially his cheap looking face. The romance;. you can integrate a romantic subplot in a "superhero" movie and do it well, I've seen it done (Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight). But this was much too Thor-esque but the ending was good as necessary. And it was okay. I could live with it. UNTIL Steve chose to utter, "I'll be okay. But I had a date." or something to that effect. More corny scripting. Expand
  99. Oct 27, 2011
    Not Marvel's best movie, and nowhere as good as Thor but it is still enjoyable, to start off with the Captain is an extremely enjoyable character, the one guy you will always root for, it has some really funny moments, and it gives you a chance to see other famous Marvel characters like Dum Dum Dugan, Bucky, Tony Stark's father, and several others you'll know if you are a comic fanatic, and Red Skull is a really enjoyable villain, but this movie does have it's flaws, for instance the romance between the Captain and Peggy never really seems believable because you never really see it grow, it just sort of happens, and it takes a while before you can really get into it, so in the end it's not the best Marvel movie, but it's one of there better ones, and still an enjoyable time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Colin Kennedy
    Jul 28, 2011
    Charming, handsome and full of pep – all 70 year-old Cap lacks is a knockout blow. Still, Johnston should be saluted for old-fashioned heart in a cynical age, while Marvel should be confined to barracks for cynical marketing.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jul 28, 2011
    The final conflict is so protracted as to comfortably accommodate a bathroom break. Don't worry. You won't miss anything you haven't seen before.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jul 23, 2011
    Captain America falls into the prevalent pitfalls of origin stories. So much time and effort is expended explaining how the protagonist gains his super-powers (and exploring his initial usage of them) that there's not enough opportunity to develop a compelling storyline beyond his "baptism."