8.5

1. May 27, 2014
    I think there are far too many superhero movies that don't add anything to the genre, but this wasn't one of them. For a superhero film it was AWESOME, it actually had a plot that was compelling and interesting, the special effects were incredible in places, the action well paced and the acting was very well done.

I really don't have criticisms of this movie, if only all superhero films

I really don't have criticisms of this movie, if only all superhero films were this good!
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    Fantastic movie by any means - only better because of it being an MCU movie. For me, this is a strong contender for the best Marvel movie yet. I rate it only behind Avengers and Thor 2 because I prefer the sci fi genre to political thrillers, which this movie was.

Superhero movie of the year? Possibly. I'll have to wait till Guardian of the Galaxy is released to say for sure. Being part of the MCU already puts it ahead of X Men and Spider Man no matter how great they may be
  3. Apr 7, 2014
    Caught Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday and it really is a great movie. And it would help if you watched the first Captain America I don't think it's absolutely necessary but some parts will go by you. Acting was on point, action scenes were phenomenal, and love a couple of unexpected twists. Stay for the 2 endings after the credits. (the first one is great, the second not soCaught Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday and it really is a great movie. And it would help if you watched the first Captain America I don't think it's absolutely necessary but some parts will go by you. Acting was on point, action scenes were phenomenal, and love a couple of unexpected twists. Stay for the 2 endings after the credits. (the first one is great, the second not so much). But go - go watch and enjoy! Expand
  4. Apr 16, 2014
    This is hands down, in the top three of all of the Marvel movies. Absolutely up there with Ironman 1 and Avengers. The reviewers are seriously pretentious idiots for thinking this does not rank better.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    Winter Soldier is the best movie about Captain America at this moment. Story is interesting spy action with nice special effects and few unexpected moments. Those people who liked movies about comics or good action movies, I'm certainly recommend.
  6. Apr 9, 2014
    Better than the first Captain America movie. I just loved the development of the story. The action sequences were top notch. Chris Evans looks great in his role.
  7. Apr 15, 2014
    Don't go into this expecting a Captain American movie. This is a S.H.I.E.L.D movie. The political and moral ideals explored here kept me extremely interested throughout. The themes explored here make you think about whose side you really want to take, and while Marvel pushes Captain America's right wing "uncompromised freedom" angle, the Hydra's "freedom in order" was very interesting. IDon't go into this expecting a Captain American movie. This is a S.H.I.E.L.D movie. The political and moral ideals explored here kept me extremely interested throughout. The themes explored here make you think about whose side you really want to take, and while Marvel pushes Captain America's right wing "uncompromised freedom" angle, the Hydra's "freedom in order" was very interesting. I hated the first Captain America movie, but the way this one was put together made this possibly the best super hero movie I've ever seen other than The Dark Knight Rises. The combination of the themes I mentioned above and the excellent action sequences made it a movie that included everything I love about movies. Robert Redford and Samuel L. Jackson deliver the standout performances here and some of their exchanges are just some of the best acting I've ever seen. I was also surprised by Chris Evans who I felt was the weakest link in the first movie. He plays this character, that I'm not exactly fond of, really well. The film also has one of the greatest villains in an action movie. The Winter Soldier is smart. He is an equal to the films protagonist and that's what made him so excellent. See this movie. If you have any interest in film, Marvel, politics, morality, or Captain America, this is a must see film. Expand
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    As good as The Avengers, though darker and on a bit of a smaller scale. An incredible movie. It's great to see modern action blockbuster filmmaking that puts CGI in its proper place.
  9. Apr 8, 2014
    Wow. This film takes the Avengers series to a new level. Not only is the story and action superb, but the events in this film have huge implications when it comes to the overall Avengers story. Keep them coming Marvel Studios!!! Top 3 along with Avengers and first Iron Man.
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    There is nothing to say except that this is the best marvel movie to date. Out of the nine, this movie is by far the most well put together and has the best told story. It connects with events from Captain America 1, the Avengers, and the TV show, MARVEL Agents of Shield. If you haven't seen this movie, go and see it now!
  11. Apr 4, 2014
    The success of 'The Avengers' back in 2012 was undoubtedly going to usher in another phase of films from the ever expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr. was the first to suit up for the third Iron Man outing and his fourth for the franchise overall. The third entry in the Iron Man franchise proved to be riding the wave of the massively successful Avengers, taking a hugeThe success of 'The Avengers' back in 2012 was undoubtedly going to usher in another phase of films from the ever expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr. was the first to suit up for the third Iron Man outing and his fourth for the franchise overall. The third entry in the Iron Man franchise proved to be riding the wave of the massively successful Avengers, taking a huge haul at the box office. Next up was Chris Hemsworth as the muscle bound god of thunder Thor.
    Both proved to be successes, the former continuing to impress while the latter was better than the first outing but still left plenty of room for improvement. But the first avenger to start it all was Steve Rogers as Captain America, his first film was good but not great, it had a wonderful retro feel to its first half until it took an explosive and predictable path for its final hour, each event leading into The Avengers. Cap was always difficult to put in front of an audience that nowadays demands darkness and gritty realism over charm and light-hearted antics. He stands for goodness and doing what's right, something that isn't very sought after in modern day heroics.
    But in this sequel to the 2011 film, it's a different time and a much different film. Not only does it improve upon the last solo outing, but it could very well be the best film to come out of the Marvel franchise so far. The man who was frozen in time returns with Chris Evans again putting the famous shield on his arm, he now works for S.H.I.E.L.D. who continue to be a very secretive organisation which Cap is determined to get to the bottom of. He works closely alongside fellow operative Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson). The witty chemistry between these two is easily one of the highlights of the film, even in the stickiest of situations, the writers manage to infuse some comic relief that works every time. But the threat this time in the film is much closer to home as S.H.I.E.L.D. itself is the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons. Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) is given a much larger and more pivotal role in the Winter Soldier, the more Sam Jackson the better if you ask me! The story plays out in thrilling fashion as a mole within headquarters has each of our good guys on their hit list. The great alliance is now in tatters and someone that Cap has never dealt with is hunting himself and his friends down. Who better to send after them than the mythical Winter Soldier, he may just seem like a master assassin with a metal arm and anger issues, but there is much more of a story going on behind the mask that plays a part in a film that finds balance between emotional repercussions while also entertaining the fans with explosive set pieces, thrilling fist fights and a fantastic car chase involving director Fury, it all packs a heavy punch while infusing the film with superior wit and charm, especially from supporting cast member Anthony Mackie who dons a familiar pair of wings as the plot unfolds. The story delves very deep into the history of the S.H.I.E.L.D organisation while also outlining the problems that face a company who is trying to do everything right by preventing crime before it happens, "What about freedom?" the Cap asks, always there to detail the line between right and wrong. Chris Evans himself is on fine form and he acts out a very emotional script that paints Steve Rodgers as a man who is unsure about what to do with his life after the secrets of the people he works for start to unravel. It pays homage to the first film while also solidifying itself as possibly the best Marvel film so far, it has everything that could possibly be imagined and just when you think that it can't get any better, Robert Redford shows his face along with several other strong characters, there are surprises at every turn but enough of the same characters we've come to know from previous films to add up an adventurous, pulsating and epic adventure that could be the best film of the year. Stay for not one but two credit scenes, one in the middle and one at the end, mind blowing!
  12. May 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Captain America is overall a cool superhero. His powers of super strength are just epic. So that is why I felt the first film was kind of boring. I mean we had a guy who he hated and was a Nazi and so he can easily kill him if he wanted to. While that proved to be difficult and he may have not killed him he still sure showed him who's boss. However, in this film the Cap must face his best friend Bucky aka The Winter Solider. This is hard for him and we see that in the end when he says he will not fight Bucky. So we get to see an emotional side of the film. Then of course the action and special effects are great and Scarlet Johannson is very good as Black Widow. In the end this movie is amazing filled with great acting and of course the emotional side of the film concerning Bucky and all the sadness that fills Cap when he sees Buck die in the first film and then finds out he is still alive but is bad. Expand
  13. May 27, 2014
    This is an amazing movie. Fantastic action, special effects and character development. My favorite Marvel flick so far. ( You honestly cannot please a critic with anything other than the most cryptically boring or oddity of a movie.). Did a great job showing Caps strengths and weaknesses and making him a truly human character.
  14. May 3, 2014
    Captain America the winter soldier is a great milestone for marvel that really adds to an already expanding universe full of interesting, unique, characters that is changing the way we see comic book films today in our society. Easily my new favorite Disney Marvel film due to the fact that the films plot is just so beautifully presented and how everything flows so smoothly and gracefullyCaptain America the winter soldier is a great milestone for marvel that really adds to an already expanding universe full of interesting, unique, characters that is changing the way we see comic book films today in our society. Easily my new favorite Disney Marvel film due to the fact that the films plot is just so beautifully presented and how everything flows so smoothly and gracefully through all the gritty dark themes that are starting to became a lot more present in the Disney Marvel universe and the fact that the Character Captain America finally feels as if he has found is place within the universe and 2 me is one of the new best characters within this expanding universe. I could go on and on about how astonishing the film is but 2 sum it up, GO WATCH THE FILM, u will be entertained and taking away by the amazing acting, plot, characters and jaw dropping action scenes.

15. Jun 24, 2014
    Wow. If the main problem about phase 2 up until this point was it's lack of connection to the MCU then this movie is exactly what was needed. The story is thrilling, the characters are great, the acting is top notch and the action is some of the best that I've ever seen. Plus there's all the huge game changing moments that'll be effecting the MCU for years to come.
  16. Nov 7, 2015
    Without a doubt the best Marvel movie. Not only is it insanely engaging (the fight choreographies give Bourne a run for its money), it has a very thought provoking and clever story about the importance of trust and ideals. Not to mention it's the only Marvel sequel where the events of the previous movie had any major consequences.
    Chris Evans proves once again why he was a perfect pick
    Chris Evans proves once again why he was a perfect pick for the lead (the speech near the climax has him at his finest moment), and the suppprting cast plays with him very well.
    I can't wait for Civil War!
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    Without doubt, the best marvel's movie yet. Very good story, and briliant action scenes, bring one of the most serious candidate for the movie of the year. In my view is the best action hero film since the Dark Knight trilogy.
  18. May 23, 2014
    okay, we're getting a pretty great build-up to "The Avengers 2" next year. we had Thor and Iron Man, and now we've come to America! yeah, that's right. it's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". the sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" from 2011, and it's probably Cap's first modern movie where he's on his own. and i was excited to see that. well, he's still working for theokay, we're getting a pretty great build-up to "The Avengers 2" next year. we had Thor and Iron Man, and now we've come to America! yeah, that's right. it's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier". the sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" from 2011, and it's probably Cap's first modern movie where he's on his own. and i was excited to see that. well, he's still working for the S.H.I.E.L.D and they send him to deal with everything and **** goes down! so, this is the first action/thriller movie directed by the Russo brothers and i gotta say: as their first try, they did a great job in this movie! what i loved about this movie is that, instead of just being a great superhero movie, it's also a really good political thriller too. it was really well, like i loved the theories that's going on like "don't trust anybody", and Cap's in the middle cause he trusts everybody. but now, he starts to look around and when you look at the world that he's in against the one he came from, you can totally see that he doesn't really know where he belongs anymore. i thought the Russos did a fantastic job in showing that and you definitely feel about Cap's characters a lot more. and what's so great about Marvel is that, when your least character gets to be one of the best, that's what Marvel does right and it's great. like Captain America's a lot more interesting here, cause we get to see him dealing with this world and dealing with S.H.I.E.L.D and the easter eggs in this movie are top notch. the acting was really good too. Chris Evans was great as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson owned the role of Black Widow and their relationship was great. i loved seeing how they have a conversation while kicking some serious ass, that was awesome! the action was amazing, it was awesome and intense and it felt so real! the pacing was great, the cinematography was great, the script was well-written and this movie was just so much fun to watch. i'm telling ya right now: whether you're a Marvel fan, a comic book fan or a action movie fan in general, then you're gonna love this movie. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was a fantastic sequel to "Captain American: The First Avenger" and honestly, i can't wait for the third one.
  19. Apr 19, 2014
    After the atrocity that is the terribly written Iron Man 2 and 3 movies Captain America is a godsend! It's got a deep plot with many side characters and subplots and somehow manages to make each one interesting. It's nice to have a marvel movie that treats it's audience as intelligent comic book fans and less like autistic children (Iron man 3.)
  20. Aug 8, 2014
    Marvelous captain america ! stunning,superb ,mind blowing film, simple awesome,outstanding visual treat to everyone,excellent engaging thrilling screen play,powerful performance by Chris Evans . good direction ,superb action scenes, extra ordinary visual effects make captain america winter soldier is spectacular awesome film of the summer! loved it and giving 10 out 10 ,it deserve it,
  21. Apr 5, 2014
    Brilliant acting, amazing score, everything a superhero movie needs. Comparable to Marvel's The Avengers. The writers did an awesome job. It's good seeing Redford portray a villain. Potentially, one of the best superhero movies of all time.
  22. Apr 5, 2014
    Captain America The Winter Soldier was amazing! The movie was better than the Avengers. This movie is a masterpiece! A mix of humor, action, destruction. 10 out of **** 10!!!!!!!!
  23. Apr 23, 2014
    Excellent movie. One of the best Marvel Superheroes movie besides The Avengers. It was fun and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The script is superb and the actors were stupendous.
  24. May 1, 2015
    If it's not my favorite Marvel movie to date, it's at least in the Top 3. The movie gathers lots of great aspects, such as not having much special effects during the combat scenes, it brings a more realistic view for who's watching it, it's actually the best point, and I can also say that the story behind it all was very well done. Great movie.
  25. Aug 2, 2014
    Not just one of the best comic book movies, but one of the best political-thrillers, and one of the best movies of the year. Amazing acting, amazing story, amazing visuals. The Winter Soldier is Marvel Studios "The Dark Knight". I transcends a genre into new territories and with it enhances the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show. It changesNot just one of the best comic book movies, but one of the best political-thrillers, and one of the best movies of the year. Amazing acting, amazing story, amazing visuals. The Winter Soldier is Marvel Studios "The Dark Knight". I transcends a genre into new territories and with it enhances the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show. It changes everything you think you know about this universe and our own. Calling it realistic would be far-fetched, but it truly is inspired by our own government and it's secrets. Expand
  26. May 25, 2014
    With a solid plot full of twists, great performances by The cast, and amazing action sequences, this could very well be the best Marvel movie next to the Avengers!
  27. May 5, 2014
    Miles away better than The Amazing Spider-man 2. and could even rival films like The Avengers and The Dark Knight, the acting was fantastic, and the action scenes were some of the best I've ever seen. Brilliant film.
  28. May 4, 2014
    this is a great movie, all actors do there job well and there is alot of action and for somebody like me I don't ask for much more from a film like this, everyone who like action movies should watch this
  29. Jun 30, 2014
    I don't give 10's out lightly. There is nothing wrong with this action film. Great story. Great action and cgi. Funny. Great characters. The only thing I would have added would have been a last second cameo of Iron Man. Marvel does a bad job when it comes to forgetting about other characters that still exist in this world. If you don't want them in the movie, you better come up atI don't give 10's out lightly. There is nothing wrong with this action film. Great story. Great action and cgi. Funny. Great characters. The only thing I would have added would have been a last second cameo of Iron Man. Marvel does a bad job when it comes to forgetting about other characters that still exist in this world. If you don't want them in the movie, you better come up at least a mention as to why they are not here. Remember when they kept referring to the Thor hammer in the desert in a few other Marvel movies?

For an action movie this is a 10. I would have given the first Avenger movie a 5.
  30. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the best solo Marvel movies since Iron Man. Takes the stereotypical comic book movie and turns it into a spy thriller! The first Marvel movie where we get a really imposing villain. The Winter Soldier, when on screen felt just as dangerous as The Joker in The Dark Knight. Excellent movie!

1. Reviewed by: Jordan Hoffman
    May 8, 2016
    This entry won't win any new converts, but anyone already invested in this series is going to have a blast.
  2. Reviewed by: Soren Andersen
    May 8, 2016
    In his third outing as the Captain, Evans seems totally comfortable in the role. He manages to convey his character’s goodness without making him seem like a self-righteous stiff. There’s an ease in his performance, and a sense of humor that makes him very appealing.
  3. Reviewed by: Jared Mobarak
    May 8, 2016
    By far the best Part Two in the universe (not necessarily hard to achieve) it also rests at the franchise’s peak alongside Iron Man, Avengers, and its predecessor to show the viability of cinematic serials.