6.3

1. JohnnyB.
    Jul 3, 2002
    Well done...beautiful romantic and thrilling. Soundtrack is worthwhile purchase. Never read the novel...but cheers to producer! Novel and movie don't always have to be the same. Bravo!
  2. NickS.
    Oct 4, 2001
    A classic although a slight misinterpretation of the novel. At times the film itself stands along side other fantastic novel to film translations such as "The Shawshank Redemption"!!!!
  3. MikeK.
    Jul 7, 2002
    While I would have liked better accents, at it wasn't as bad as Enemy at the Gates...Russians with British accents? WTF? I though overall that this was a wonderful movie. Beautiful scenery and the general storyline is it's strengths. I did NOT read the book so I wasn't expecting anything. Acting was decent. I agree that Christian Bale was not the best pick for his role While I would have liked better accents, at it wasn't as bad as Enemy at the Gates...Russians with British accents? WTF? I though overall that this was a wonderful movie. Beautiful scenery and the general storyline is it's strengths. I did NOT read the book so I wasn't expecting anything. Acting was decent. I agree that Christian Bale was not the best pick for his role (American Psycho fits him better). Penelope Cruz while beautiful (don't be so jealously hateful Darcy... :) ), I think someone else could have played her part more "realistically". As for Cage, dunno...jury is still out on him in this movie. Collapse
  4. MichaelR.
    Aug 18, 2001
    A very beautiful adaption of the book...and as far as accents are concerned, what does one expect in an American movie....Greek? Some of the so-called professional criticisms in this respect are entirely unwarranted.
  5. hatems.
    Jul 9, 2007
    It's a very nice romantic story with some action and with a very great sound track especially the Pelagia Song.

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Probably the most horrifying stuff I've seen all week.
  2. Handsomely weathered John Hurt, as Pelagia's father, gives a performance of such unhackneyed dignity that it provides a moral compass for the action and helps to keep the ricocheting emotional content of the film in balance.
    Strives for comprehensive coverage of its theme of forbidden love.