Columbia Pictures | Release Date: October 11, 2013
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 663 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Henry_b1Feb 12, 2017
A gritty, gripping film with great acting and a great conclusion, there are amazing thrills throughout and you get the feel of being right there on the boat. You can truly sympathise with the characters and get on board with their experience.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
Captain Phillips is a very emotionally engaging movie that is based on the true story. It has really good writing, casting, performances, and direction. Definitely a movie I would recommend.
homer4presidentOct 18, 2016
I really underestimated this movie. I was not inclined to rent it, but I'm glad I did. The acting was superb; Hanks definitely gave an Oscar worthy performance, and the pirate captain was very convincing in his mixed emotions as things didn'tI really underestimated this movie. I was not inclined to rent it, but I'm glad I did. The acting was superb; Hanks definitely gave an Oscar worthy performance, and the pirate captain was very convincing in his mixed emotions as things didn't go as planned. The script was riveting, leaving me at the edge of my seat the entire time. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 4, 2016
Tom Hanks’s superb performance anchors thrilling tale.

Tom Hanks’s superb performance anchors thrilling tale.

"Captain Phillips,” a taut, finely crafted, superbly acted maritime thriller, is just one of a wave of fabulous films heading our way. It’s autumn, my friends, a time of falling leaves and soaring cinematic standards. Hallelujah, and pass the buttered popcorn.

The two principal artists involved with “Captain Phillips” go a long way in explaining why it works so well: Paul Greengrass, the exacting British director behind such masterpieces as “Bloody Sunday” and “United 93” — as well as a couple of movies with the name “Bourne” in the title — is behind the camera. Tom Hanks — who needs no introduction — is in front of it, in this case playing a modest, hard-nosed merchant mariner who in 2009 was hijacked and kidnapped by Somali criminals while his ship was delivering commercial goods, water, food and fuel to Kenya. As “Captain Phillips” opens, Richard Phillips is driving from his pretty Vermont farmhouse to the airport, chatting with his wife, Andrea (Catherine Keener), who sends him off with a perfunctory “Have a safe trip.”

It won’t be, as anyone knows who recalls the harrowing five-day ordeal of the real-life Capt. Phillips, who calmly ensured the safety of his crew and then continued to keep his wits about him while being held captive in a cramped lifeboat.

“Captain Phillips” is based on his memoir of the event, which was widely reported in newspapers and on television. But Greengrass and screenwriter Billy Ray (“Shattered Glass”) go one step further, introducing viewers to the poverty, desperation and cynicism that converge to lead four Somali fishermen to go to work for a warlord, attacking container ships and absconding with their cargo. High on khat and armed to the teeth, the particular thieves in question are led by a charismatic young man named Muse (the terrific newcomer Barkhad Abdi), who, once he boards the enormous Maersk Alabama, vies with Phillips for control. “I’m the captain now,” he declares at one point.

Once again collaborating with cinematographer Barry Ackroyd, Greengrass hews to a familiar visual style, immersing viewers in the rhythms of Phillips’s day and familiarizing them with the labyrinthine vessel that doesn’t resemble a boat as much as a vast floating office. (Like Peter Weir’s “Master and Commander,” “Captain Phillips” offers a fascinating tutorial in the humming, hive-like organization of a working sea craft.) Once two tiny skiffs show up — first as a radar blip, then as bobbing, barely distinct omens of oncoming danger — the filmmakers keep “Captain Phillips” on its even keel, allowing the tension to ratchet up organically, rather than by way of self-conscious editing or manipulative music cues. What larger messages “Captain Phillips” conveys — about globalization, consumerism and the clash of radically different supply chains — are delivered deftly rather than with ham-handed polemic; the fact that Phillips was delivering food aid to Africa may be seen by some as a grievous irony and by others as a cruel case study in how foreign aid exacerbates dependence and poverty throughout the continent.

Greengrass’s straightforward style not only keeps “Captain Phillips” from didacticism, but it also is perfectly suited to its protagonist — a bespectacled, by-the-book guy who runs a tight ship, literally and metaphorically. Hanks, who has made something of an art of playing real-life characters, submerges his usual Everyman charm and instead plays up his Everyman blandness, allowing Phillips’s sober, quick-thinking character to emerge through behavior rather than stirring speeches or swashbuckling set pieces. The result is a study in movement and action that is as purely cinematic as “Gravity,” a film that may be more far-reaching in its location and visuals, but portrays isolation, dire straits and the wages of Manifest Destiny with similar white-knuckled intensity.
"Captain Phillips” is such an impressive dramatic achievement that it comes as a shock when it gets even better, during a devastating final scene in which Hanks single-handedly dismantles Hollywood notions of macho heroism in one shattering, virtually wordless sequence. That moment, as purely emotional as what went before has been kinetic, makes “Captain Phillips” yet another Greengrass masterpiece. And it reveals why there have been so many: Behind the director’s dispassionate, unfailingly rigorous lens lies an enormous, unfailingly compassionate heart.
FilmClubMar 27, 2016
Paul Greengrass and Tom Hanks team up for a pulsating account of the kidnapping of the captain of an American cargo ship by Somali pirates.

From Gravity to All Is Lost and 12 Years a Slave, 'tis the season for survival stories, and another good one joins this classy club with Captain Phillips, a pulsating account of the kidnapping of the captain of an American cargo ship by Somali pirates. Something of a companion piece for director Paul Greengrass to his superb United 93, which was based on the real-life takeover of one of the 9/11 aircraft, this immaculately made reconstruction of a chaotic incident will have a much better time of it commercially than the earlier film due to the presence of star Tom Hanks and because it has a happy ending. Set to world premiere as the opening-night attraction of the New York Film Festival on Sept. 27, the Sony release will go out commercially Oct. 11.

With his irrepressibly kinetic style, Greengrass could probably make the opening of a cereal box exciting, so it was almost a no-brainer that he could successfully handle a story like this, which features not only logistical challenges but the sort of volatile political backdrop he has favored in most of his work. Still, for a story that pits locals versus Americans in the Middle East and boasts a climax that involves Navy SEALs, U.S. choppers and warships, the taut screenplay by Billy Ray (Shattered Glass, The Hunger Games) essentially makes no mention of religion, al-Qaida or the war on terror, concentrating on the more essential reality of impoverished young men, some of them fishermen, pushed to extreme measures by the big bucks bandit bosses offer for Western hostages, for whom they can demand millions. It's "just business," as so many criminals throughout history have said.

And so it is for Hanks' Richard Phillips, a middle-aged civilian captain who bids his wife (Catherine Keener) adieu in Vermont in late March 2009 to take an enormous container ship from southern Oman down along the coast of Somalia and then to Kenya. Unusually for a vessel in these waters, it's an American ship, the Maersk Alabama out of Norfolk, manned by a U.S. crew. Phillips is curt with his crew members and, given the rash of pirate attacks of late, extremely attentive to security matters. He doesn't say it in so many words, but it's clear Phillips just wants to get this job done as quickly as possible, collect his check and go home.

On the beach in the pirate city of Eyl, Somalia, voyages of a different sort are being organized by shouting, rifle-toting young African men recruiting crews to hijack large vessels out at sea and bring back money as well as hostages who might be exchanged for very large ransoms. Dozens of mostly skinny guys in their teens and 20s eagerly volunteer for action; in short order, enough to man two skiffs are selected.

The usual Greengrass skill is evident with the diverse settings and mix of languages and accents, the combination of technologies high and low, the laying out of logistics and constant movement from place to place and the outer limits of human resilience and endurance in dealing with severe threats to them. The director has long since mastered relaying exposition as economically as possible and, visually, he and ace cinematographer Barry Ackroyd make the tiny open motorboats that pursue the hulking, graceless container ship look like minnows bird-dogging a whale.

The film rips right along and never relinquishes its grip. The format of the last-minute heroics goes back to the earliest Westerns and could well be accused of patness or being cliched -- other than for the fact that it's what happened. Unsurprisingly, though, the director indulges in no jingoistic, rah-rah stuff with the Navy, even if it has not often been the case that American military operations in the Middle East have come off exactly as planned.

Craftsmanship and technical contributions are first-rate all the way, while Henry Jackman's electronic score throbs underneath most of the action.

Paul Greengrass excels again at recreating a perilous chapter of the post-9/11 era.
CineAutoctonoFeb 19, 2016
" Captain Phillips " was an incredibly dramatic story based on real events in which Tom Hanks was lucid , dazzling with this excellent performance, and its unrivaled history of Captain Richard Phillips and kidnapping by Somali pirates.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 3, 2016
What did I expect from 2013? Great movies coming out while I'm enjoying my fun during 2013. Captain Phillips didn't fail that part. It's enjoyable and also outstanding fun.
MeritCobaJan 8, 2016
Dragon Age II is the story told by Varric to Cassandra and at times we see him change his tale to embellish his story and notably his own role in it. Most stories are like Varric's tale: never exactly the truth, because even without intentDragon Age II is the story told by Varric to Cassandra and at times we see him change his tale to embellish his story and notably his own role in it. Most stories are like Varric's tale: never exactly the truth, because even without intent the story changes with the telling.
So one can forget about the truth of the story of one Captain Phillips and his ship as it is impossible for us to know what 'really' happened. At best one can say that it is based on a real incident.
Captain Phillips is mostly the movie of Tom Hanks, who plays a somewhat timid heavy set older commander of a cargo ship travelling from Oman to Kenya. This exposes the ship to attacks from Somalian pirates whose aim is to capture the ship so they can exchange it for money. Since the ship and it's cargo are worth millions it looks like easy money for anyone with a gun and a vessel vast enough to overtake the lumbering ships. Somalia itself is in anarchy can do nothing to stop so it is up to a coalition of nations to patrol the international waters and deal with the pirates.
The movie, despite being long, never bores as it keeps up the tension. The story follows both the pirates as the captain and his crew. The final part leads to a shocking confrontation.
The problem with good movies is that there isn't much to complain... well almost not. There are a few gripes. For one I can never quite get to see the Somalian side of things. We are given to understand that their choice is limited to fishing or piracy. With the first having been made impossible due to over-fishing by foreigners(so one of them says) only piracy is left as an option. This is all told as in an afterthought and given the length of the whole movie feels like there is only lipservice being paid to make us understand the side of the pirates. It would have been a better movie if more time was spend to give some idea why these people do what they do.
In addition what I simply fail to understand is why nobody bothers to do anything after the ship escapes the first attack. A whole night passes without any naval vessels showing up. Nor does Phillips apparently call someone to notify them of the incident. I find it baffling that not even one airplane is send to reconnoiter the area to establish the location of the pirate ships, just one would have sunk their ambitions to the bottom of the ocean. And why is not a team of soldiers dropped of at the ship when it was certain that it had been under attack the day before? Even two soldiers could have beaten off the attackers. In fact, probably one would have been enough.
Otherwise a great movie with a great role for Tom Hanks, who makes the movie what it is. For better or worse.

Merit
audreythomas25Dec 20, 2015
About an hour in, though, much hell breaks loose. Greengrass' avid, excitable camera moves begin to match the action, to become the action.

Watch this movie for free

Watch this movie for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29d848-Captain-Phillips-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
reellmJul 22, 2015
5/5★ Based on a true story, director Paul Greengrass infuses the film with a sense of realism, story telling at its best: The steps leading up to the event and how it went down.
It helps that the performances were excellent all around, with
It helps that the performances were excellent all around, with newcomer Barkhad Abdi receiving a well deserved Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
Verdict: Watch.
Meth-dudeJul 5, 2015
Great visuals,astonishing performances especially by Tom Hanks and a satisfying ending.Captain Phillips is everything I expected and even more.A highly entertaining and recommended movie.
Sil3ntJun 30, 2015
Captain Phillips is a fantastic movie with all those action scenes and drama line of the movie. The result is a movie that is not boring nor overproduced and you can't disregard that awesome performance of Hanks
launchpad2132Jun 5, 2015
I didn't know the true story of Richard Phillips when I went to see it, so naturally I was hesitant. But man was it worth it (and then some), it was the most intense movie I have ever scene, I couldn't even eat my popcorn i was so on edge.I didn't know the true story of Richard Phillips when I went to see it, so naturally I was hesitant. But man was it worth it (and then some), it was the most intense movie I have ever scene, I couldn't even eat my popcorn i was so on edge. Tom Hanks gave a magnificent performance, maybe trumping his impeckable performance in Forrest Gump. Ecspecially in one scene, any one who has scene the movie will know what I mean, and anyone who hasn't are in for a treat. Simply put...SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!! Expand
benpa28Mar 29, 2015
Based on a true encounter in 2009, this ship apparently had a few encounters with pirates which were averted after the advent of armed security aboard these commercial vessels.

Hanks (as usual) does a brilliant job as the stern captain

Hanks (as usual) does a brilliant job as the stern captain with a heart. Without giving too much away, this film will leave you on the edge of your seat for the majority of the film with the last 30% so action packed youll be screaming at the TV. The human aspect of two sides is also very well done.

A long time since I watched a film like this.
MrMovieBuffMar 17, 2015
Tom Hanks stars in Paul Greengrass' thriller based on a true story called 'Captain Phillips' which tells the story of a man named Captain Richard Phillips whose ship is under attack from Somalian pirates.

This is a well-made, fast paced

This is a well-made, fast paced and intense thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, and Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances in his career since his last Oscar nominated work in 'Cast Away' (2000) or 'Road to Perdition' (2002).

The real star of the show though is Barkhad Abdi, who plays the lead pirate named Muse, and he did receive the "Best Supporting Actor" nomination at the Oscars. He teases Richard an awful lot and comes across as demanding, if not, sadistic, most of the times. He takes over the ship and treats Captain Phillips as his slave and plans to kidnap him.

The way this film moves is fascinating and it is one of the best biopic thrillers I've ever experienced at the cinema, it's actually my number 1 movie of 2013. Many people would vote 'Gravity' or '12 Years A Slave' and while they are great films in their own right, I choose 'Captain Phillips', I did not know what to expect before watching a movie based on a story I haven't heard of, but I did not expect to feel this tense.
borderlinefilmsFeb 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have Camera, Will Shake

Dear Mr. Greengrass, your signature style using a nervous camera and jarring edits from start to finish has become all too tired and cliché. Although you seem to have cornered the market on shooting in choppy environments (hijacked planes and ships), your MO is wonky and outdated. It once provided us with the illusion of edgy unpredictability but no longer substitutes for good story-telling and suspenseful drama. It was fun for a while but substance outlives style. Next time out, unpack the tripod, see if you can't restrain those spasms.

The docudrama appearance of the film is at odds with it's Hollywood makeover and spoiled by casting a movie star in the title role. We can actually believe those were real Somali pirates stalking the ship, barefoot in a motorboat with a machine gun, so what's Tom Hanks doing out there?

Which captain is more likely to be nominated for an Oscar and which one is more deserving, Tom Hanks, the extremely likable hard-luck chap, or Barkhad Abdi, the very convincing "skinny" Somalian in his first acting role? "Relax, everything's going to be okay, Mr. Phillips."

The story was initially framed from two opposing points of view. But for all the time we spend with the Captain and the pirates, we know very little about them. He's married. They are desperate. End of profile. This is why the endings of such undeveloped stories are abrupt and unsatisfying. The scrappy character development is ultimately why the movie needs illustrious old Tom Hanks and the indelible memory of his previous fictional characters. And, without question, a shaky camera.

Much of the dialogue was reduced to short outbursts of threats and fits of rage. The movie could have been released on Twitter. It rang rather empty when Hanks roared out they were not fishermen, since neither he or the audience knew much about them. Given his strategic thinking, you'd figure Phillips would have tried to sympathize with the attackers, get to know them, if only to weaken their resolve and possibly get them to turn against each other. Besides, isn't this what displaced main characters are meant to do? Be our eyes and ears in a narrative of conflict and discovery?

The Somalian Pirates fail to impress us as anything but deadly pests. Their crude onrush leaves me wondering why the most self-important nation on earth, so insanely obsessed and possessive about firearms, doesn't at least provide the old Cap with a pocket pistol for self-defence? Seriously, the only weapons provided for these gigantic container ships, so vital to a global economy, are water hoses?

Some of the more interesting facts and details seemed to either be swept aside or glossed over. The pirates, for all their maniacal posturing, did not kill anyone. Attacking them was like swatting a mosquito with a wrecking ball. The absurdity is evident but never appeared foolish as the filmmakers brazenly flaunted conventional American propaganda. Disproportionately heroic American might and justice was never questioned.(The cost of hiring a warship perhaps?)

The desperation of the pirates mission was touched upon: return with the ship and/or the captain or face certain death. But the resolve of the American naval SEAL to rescue a single individual using its highly skilled and lopsided military was never in doubt. Thus, staking its claim on the foolhardy impression that every individual American life is sacred (if your white, well-to-do and married) but never once hinted that it was likely for the optics alone. This is typically implied by showing TV news coverage of the hostage crisis back home, often from the protagonist's family room.

We were introduced to his wife in the first scene but never see her again. Actually, I don't mind this omission. The movie succeeds rather well keeping us in the moment with a tense, rigid, alert objective in lieu of a broader and richer perspective. I got the feeling something important was happening--but little else.
ammilnerJan 31, 2015
To be honest I did not have high expectations going in to watching Captain Phillips, nor did I have low ones. The movie never piqued my interest while it was in theatres and I had other films that seemed more interesting to watch instead.To be honest I did not have high expectations going in to watching Captain Phillips, nor did I have low ones. The movie never piqued my interest while it was in theatres and I had other films that seemed more interesting to watch instead. Captain Phillips turned out to be a very well made film, one that I am glad to have watched but even now one that I just can’t entirely connect to. While Captain Phillips had wonderful performances from the protagonist, played by Tom Hanks and especially the films antagonist, played by Barkhad Abdi (who makes his acting debut in the film and does and astounding job) the film still feels hollow.
Visually, Captain Phillips is stunning and by any industry standard the film is very impressive when it comes to cinematography and sound design. The musical score does its part too and the film has not trouble keep the viewer in a very engaging state of suspense. That being said, I was still never drawn into the film I believe can be explained by the plots focus on Tom Hanks’ character, the lack of character development in the crew members and the majority of the pirates and, most importantly, the short length of the back story and buildup. Captain Phillips is a two hour long movie that could have and should have been closer to three hours in length and it surprises me to say that the one extra hour of film would’ve made all the difference.
Captain Phillips is a good film that is impressively suspenseful and visually stunning. The movie does a great job and explaining the danger that ships take traveling in that part of the world and adds a lot of humanity to the Somali pirates, which is something that I have not come across before. Unfortunately, while the film does a lot of things well, the story falls flat at times and feels bland. Captain Phillips was too short and concise and would have benefited from additional back-story and character development for the crew members of the cargo ship besides Tom Hanks’ portrayal of Cpt. Phillips. An impressive, but slightly disappointing, drama that should be seen at least once but may not leave as much of a lasting impression as one may hope.
JohnKristoferDec 21, 2014
Captain Philips Is an outstanding film.It is stunning and well portrayed.Tom Hanks Is Back and once again did a great job in this movie! Captain Philips has it's own flaws but hey it's still fantastic and deserves a big Medal or award and aCaptain Philips Is an outstanding film.It is stunning and well portrayed.Tom Hanks Is Back and once again did a great job in this movie! Captain Philips has it's own flaws but hey it's still fantastic and deserves a big Medal or award and a thumbs up! Expand
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
Captain Phillips es una película con un excelente sonido, además de las grandes actuaciones que contiene y su buena dirección hacen que el film sea una buena película.
ydnar4Nov 22, 2014
Captain Phillips is an intense film based on a true story. I understand the best picture nomination for this one. Tom Hanks is back on his game with one of his best roles in recent memory. He was perfect for his role and its hard not to beCaptain Phillips is an intense film based on a true story. I understand the best picture nomination for this one. Tom Hanks is back on his game with one of his best roles in recent memory. He was perfect for his role and its hard not to be emotional with him in the end. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
raporgiOct 5, 2014
Stupid made up movie that has no basis in fact. The real Capt Philips was an **** and it was his fault the ship was boarded by pirates in the first place.
ArchonMagazineSep 20, 2014
Based on the true story from 2009 of a cargo ship captain being hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia, Captain Phillips is film full of suspense. Tom Hanks plays Captain Phillips as he prepares the best a person can prepare for theBased on the true story from 2009 of a cargo ship captain being hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia, Captain Phillips is film full of suspense. Tom Hanks plays Captain Phillips as he prepares the best a person can prepare for the inevitability of pirates attempting to take his ship ransom.

Quickly the movie sets the foundation for Captain Phillips background, a captain who is doing a dangerous job, despite his wife’s wishes, because there would be a line of men willing. Simultaneously the foundation is set for the pirates, boat loads of Somali men volunteering to hijack a ship, because this is a somber reality of life with no true alternative for livelihood. The crew, Navy, and audience wait as Richard Phillips is put in the perilous position of negotiator and hostage. The pirates are never as brutal as they have to be and the American crew members are never as heroic as they need to be.

Hanks does a more than adequate job as a sympathizer to the pirates, trying to get everyone out of the situation intact and alive. This selfless and heroic character is probably not accurate to the real Captain Phillips persona, but necessary as a counter view to the pirates’ story. I found myself identifying with the pirates, hoping they would have some sense, despite knowing the end to the story. This is thanks in part to the main Somali pirate, Muse, played by Barkhad Abdi. I am thankful he has received as many accolades as he has, though not a trained actor, he turns out a multi-layered character under tragic circumstances.

This movie easily could have been a one-sided telling of the brutalities of the pirates, instead you get a multidimensional story that is more about the current effects of globalization than the thrilling encounter.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
Entertaining and well-directed on the water, I was haunted by Barkhad Abdi's debut but left a little lukewarm from Tom Hanks. There's a reason he wasn't nominated by Oscar, and I agree with it.
OwlieAug 16, 2014
I've got nothing on this film. Beautiful acting and wonderful orchestration. It really has you on the edge of your seat! It gives you a good perspective on why piracy exists.
It's not what I usually put on, but I'm so grateful that I got to
It's not what I usually put on, but I'm so grateful that I got to see this wonderful and breathtaking performance of Tom Hanks.
diogomendesAug 14, 2014
I know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's oneI know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's one of the best movies I ever seen! Expand
LokathorAug 1, 2014
This is a moderately dramatic movie that's largely harmed by the fact that, because it follows a real life event that was in the news for several days, you know the ending well in advance. The last third of the movie drags out a bit when theThis is a moderately dramatic movie that's largely harmed by the fact that, because it follows a real life event that was in the news for several days, you know the ending well in advance. The last third of the movie drags out a bit when the conclusion of everything becomes obvious (or you remember it from the news), and then you're waiting around for something to happen almost as much as everyone else is. Still, I liked a lot of the acting and the script, so it comes out average. Expand
SEROJJul 20, 2014
Outstanding acting! This movie is just must watch for everyone! Based on a true story, it delivers so much pain and pressure that it was hard to believe that this was just a movie! 10/10 For this masterpiece!
SimpleReviewzJun 26, 2014
Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same?Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones like in Pirates of the Caribbean. This whole story happened about 5 years ago, too. These pirates are insanely cruel and they are also wonderfully acted by these brand new actors. Speaking of acting, everyone does an amazing job, and so does Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips himself. The movie is intense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you think that the scene when the pirates board the ship is intense, you're in for a ride later on. Telling you that my favorite scene came from only a few sentences of dialogue should let you know that the writing and actual dialogue is beyond great, and it is. However, there are some scenes that if taken out, there would be no difference. Overall, it is beautifully shot. I say "overall" because later on when the setting's time changes to night the lighting just doesn't satisfy. Other movies can be wonderfully shot at night, but CP just didn't do this. CP is like a truly masterful painting. However, in that painting, it's like the artist accidentally just some spots of differently colored paint on it, yet everything else was perfect. That's how I found CP to be in my opinion. Expand
heeldavidJun 21, 2014
Captain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining andCaptain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining and exciting. First time actor Barkhad Abdi puts on a great villainous performance as the the Somali Pirate Expand