8.1

1. Mar 5, 2014
    The two hour run time was sort of needless and while Tom Hanks was fantastic, Everyone else on the cast did not have much in terms of dialogue and even when they had it, It was the bare minimum. It was still a pretty solid movie overall and worth checking out if you are a fan of Hanks, Just don't expect to get blown away by it. The film, at least in my opinion, failed to capture theThe two hour run time was sort of needless and while Tom Hanks was fantastic, Everyone else on the cast did not have much in terms of dialogue and even when they had it, It was the bare minimum. It was still a pretty solid movie overall and worth checking out if you are a fan of Hanks, Just don't expect to get blown away by it. The film, at least in my opinion, failed to capture the seriousness of the situation and it was actually sort of laughable the way it was too over-dramatic at times. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all ofCaptain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all of the what the movie has to offer in the trailers, you've got another thing coming. One of the best films of the year. Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    Entertaining and well-directed on the water, I was haunted by Barkhad Abdi's debut but left a little lukewarm from Tom Hanks. There's a reason he wasn't nominated by Oscar, and I agree with it.
  4. Oct 15, 2013
    This film is based on a true story about a cargo ship that's overtaken by Somali pirates. Tom Hanks plays the captain, who smartly handles the invasion, then bravely endures what comes next. His final scene is the most moving. The tension holds steadily throughout and builds to an effective climax, although it does run a bit long.
  5. Oct 12, 2013
    Greengrass and Hanks succeed in Captain Phillips with an astute and exciting action-thriller/biopic. Moviegoers who are interested in seeing the real-life MV Maersk Alabama story recreated on the big screen will likely be satisfied with the assembled package of clever filmmaking choices and a phenomenal pair of star performances.
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding.It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding. Just the way the main villain is interpreted made me feel sort of sorry for him. The movie feels real and human, which is made extra important because this is based off of a true story. This is an absolutely amazing movie and one that I HIGHLY recommend you watch ASAP. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing. Expand
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    Paul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible and Captain Phillips is no exception. Its riveting and thrilling and the last 40 minutes are directed to near perfection with a scene with Tom Hanks that is the best scene in a movie so far this year.
  8. Oct 20, 2013
    With crisp, invigorating direction, a sizable array of engrossing performances, a pulse-pounding score, and subtly profound thematic intrigue, Greengrass strikes thriller gold once again with "Captain Phillips."
  9. Oct 26, 2013
    A terrific film that is well paced with many edge of your seat moments. Tom Hanks gives a fantastic performance that allows you to feel what a real life situation for a captain is like. A
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    The movie ultimately works with Tom Hanks to thank. The problem is there isn't much story and the climax(while good) came way overdue. The first half of the film was quite exciting and unpredictable, but then it just meanders.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    Really really intense film, which made for a very exciting and satisfying experience. Tom Hanks is great in the lead role, as expected and throughout, the expected thrills and suspense are absolutely there as you find yourself virtually on the edge of your seat at times. What was unexpected, for sure, is the sympathy I personally felt for a couple of the pirates, in particular BarkhadReally really intense film, which made for a very exciting and satisfying experience. Tom Hanks is great in the lead role, as expected and throughout, the expected thrills and suspense are absolutely there as you find yourself virtually on the edge of your seat at times. What was unexpected, for sure, is the sympathy I personally felt for a couple of the pirates, in particular Barkhad Abdi's character. You certainly get the sense that he does not want to be doing this, but has no choice as it is the only way he can make any money in Somalia. In spite of that, director Paul Greengrass is still able to instill the sense of fear felt by Phillips as the pirates prove again and again that they are unpredictable and prone to rash decisions, which really makes you worry for Phillips and will become of him. Overall, Captain Phillips is a very entertaining film that is entirely straightforward (not a knock) and proves to certainly be another strong entry in what was a great year of film in 2013. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  13. Apr 7, 2014
    Captain Phillips is an interesting true story which revolves around modern day pirates attacking an American cargo ship. Tom Hanks is absolutely fantastic as the titular captain (but then you wouldn't expect any less) and the rest of the cast is totally on point too. The movie is realistic in the extreme and holds no place for sentimentality. Basically, it's great all the way around. ThatCaptain Phillips is an interesting true story which revolves around modern day pirates attacking an American cargo ship. Tom Hanks is absolutely fantastic as the titular captain (but then you wouldn't expect any less) and the rest of the cast is totally on point too. The movie is realistic in the extreme and holds no place for sentimentality. Basically, it's great all the way around. That said, I'm also not sure Captain Phillips is a movie that truly demands repeat viewings. Expand
  14. Jan 29, 2014
    A Hollywood-produced, politically correct, big studio vehicle, helmed by a world-class action artisan Paul Greengrass, stars the most revered actor of his generation, Tom Hanks as the titular captain, whose screen image is a paragon of an orthodox ordinary Joe alike American hero, in this seafaring hijack inspired by a true event in 2009 at Somali waters. It is a retaliation of the viciousA Hollywood-produced, politically correct, big studio vehicle, helmed by a world-class action artisan Paul Greengrass, stars the most revered actor of his generation, Tom Hanks as the titular captain, whose screen image is a paragon of an orthodox ordinary Joe alike American hero, in this seafaring hijack inspired by a true event in 2009 at Somali waters. It is a retaliation of the vicious circle from the poverty-stricken to the hegemony which sardonically offers them the alms and simultaneously capitalizes on their natural resources and weaponry merchandizing, so it is not easy to hold a phlegmatic perspective to watch the man-made terror without deploring the sad truth how things have ended up like this, for sure we should inveigh against the piracy felony, all the same we should also see through the phenomena and ferret out the nitty-gritty which induces the atrocious tragedies. We have both parties to blame and need a soul-searching examination on our own conscience.

Greengrass adopts an engaging procedure to re-enact the white-knuckle happening of how the ship is seized by four Somali pirates (leading by a scrawny Muse, played by the first-time actor, now Oscar-nominee Abdi), parallels the narrative from both sides, playing mind games and a hide-and-seek inside the vessel, this is the first half, culminated with the pirates take captain Phillips as the hostage in a lifeboat, floating back the Somali. Apparently from the hindsight, it is a preventable incident, considering it is a US cargo ship, no one on board is equipped with any firearms at all? From a gun frenzy country where campus shooting is rampant, it is quite implausible, but sometimes the truth is as simple as that, the pirates’ boarding process is rough and ready, clearly the affluent corporate which owns the ship skimps on its defense system, although they are fully aware of the potential peril could happen anytime. Otherwise, there would be no big deal to defeat four sea marauders (one is barely a child) even they’re equipped with AK-18.

Anyway, the second half, Captain Phillips is held captive within a lifeboat with the pirates on the billowy sea, since then, the film heavily hinges on Hank’s performance to emanate the brewing desperation during the so-called “negotiation” between US rescue team (SEAL, frogmen are all standby) and the cornered pirates four. It is a precious platform to let Hanks finally have something extraordinary to offer, he completes it with consummate precision and sublimates the predictable fallout of the false hope. Unfortunately due to a crammed year with sterling candidates, Hanks is left out of the nomination list, quite an upsetting snub, but he plays a real person who lacks for a distinctive character except he is under an extreme situation, not showy enough is the detrimental disadvantage. Abdi is the MVP among the pirates four, not as irritable and impatient as the hackneyed short-fuse Najee (Ahmed), he is a human being with flesh and blood, he is the one captain Phillips can relate to under such circumstances, all diversities aside, basically they both work for their respective bosses and want to finish their jobs with minimal casualties. His bold final move can be interpreted as a smart judgment call, his American dream ironically fulfills in a different way, at least he can be plumb free of his ill-destined fate.

Nominated for 6 Oscars including BEST PICTURE (both Hanks and Greengrass are brutally snubbed here), CAPTAIN PHILLIPS is at best an unbiased recount of a man’s individual struggle during a hanging-by-a-thread ride, and at worst, it is an unimaginative hostage story with jejune perpetrators wield weapons and demand unrealistic ransom, no one can beat the principled USS army, do you get the message?
  15. Oct 25, 2013
    The film is presented with a rather impressive hand-held camera style, and the plot engages the audience with a balanced pacing of thrills. Tom Hanks is somewhat banal, and his character is oddly superfluous, though not absolutely. The real force is Barkhad Abdi, an amazing new talent. His character is both contemptible and sympathetic, and he brings a raw experience having grown up inThe film is presented with a rather impressive hand-held camera style, and the plot engages the audience with a balanced pacing of thrills. Tom Hanks is somewhat banal, and his character is oddly superfluous, though not absolutely. The real force is Barkhad Abdi, an amazing new talent. His character is both contemptible and sympathetic, and he brings a raw experience having grown up in Somalia. And I must add that his improvised line "Look at me, I'm the captain now", shows his capabilities. I support his Oscar buzz. Expand
  16. Nov 22, 2014
    Captain Phillips is an intense film based on a true story. I understand the best picture nomination for this one. Tom Hanks is back on his game with one of his best roles in recent memory. He was perfect for his role and its hard not to be emotional with him in the end.
  17. Oct 31, 2013
    Emotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screenEmotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screen impression of him. In his roles, though, he is usually totally believable and rarely gives a bad performance. His Captain Phillips must rank as one of his best. For the most part it is understated and, unusually for a Hanks turn, he blends in to the ensemble rather than standing out as the obvious star.
    Director Paul Greengrass keeps the action up close for the most part creating an atmosphere of claustrophobic desperation. He is aided no end by some stunning hand held camera shots with positioning and angles that truly add to the tension. Even when scenes are in darkness or low light the events happening on screen are clearly depicted, unlike in similar situations in many films where you just don't know what's going on because the cinematography is so poor. The editing too is just dazzlingly brilliant and provides the movie with its rapid heart beat.

The screenplay raises issues on the age of the hijackers and the fac that these 'terrorists' are in fact fishermen who have had to resort to piracy due to the fact that the western world have over fished the seas. However, it counter balances this particular comment by having Tom Hanks' character state at one point 'You're not a fisherman!' when one of the hijackers violently holds a gun to his forehead. The screenplay may have wanted to appear balanced but I personally know which side I'm on. In the end it is the responsibility of individual governments to combat piracy. As they say prevention is better than cure. It is incredible to me that governments will do anything in any other situation to prevent acts of terrorism these days. However, in this known problematic area where the evil flourishes man made laws, I believe, don't allow ships to have the proper security and weaponry to defend themselves against such acts. This is not only costly in all ways, but demonstrates stupidity in an extreme form. Stupidity that should be curtailed now!
  18. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not for nothing are Americans accused of being "isolationists", men and women who willfully choose to live out of context with a world they deem insignificant and beside the point. Even in this post-9/11 era, stubbornly, Americans still believe they can live in a bubble, despite the pop heard around the world. Captain Phillips, however, serves as a sort of reorientation to the lessons we learned, albeit briefly, and then forgot, in regard to our blow-by-blow synchronous apposition with other nations as always having been a persistent reality, independent of public cognizance or lack thereof. Days after Islamic fundamentalists irrevocably transformed the Manhattan landscape, we asked ourselves aloud, "Why do they hate us?" The short answer: colonialism. And our collective forgetting. A film such as The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou makes no apologies, or even, mention, about our bloody past. In the 2003 Wes Anderson film, the pirates who attack the Belafonte are Filipino, marauders with a century-old grievance, but because the narrative is ideologically naive, the specificity of their ethnicity is treated as a post-colonial joke. The fact that the American occupation set the Philippine Islands on a path towards catastrophic poverty, in which over 200,000 natives died(mostly from cholera) is not important. Nobody mourns the murdered southeastern pirate that Zissou guns down. The captain's revenge against the jaguar shark takes precedence over the more justifiable revenge. Interestingly enough, genre differences aside, the Danish import, A Hijacking, like the Anderson film, also sees the pirates purely as villains. We either laugh at them, or hate them, but we never understand these Third World ruffians.That's not fair. That's not telling the whole story. Captain Phillips, on the other hand, to its credit, shows both sides. At the outset, the filmmaker juxtaposes Muse's struggle for survival in arid Somalia with the captain's whiny middle-class Boston angst. The pirates, for some, become less villains than anti-heroes. According to Muse, the hijacking is just business, differentiating his organization's agenda from Al-Qaeda, when he first threatens Phillips at gunpoint. Muslim or no Muslim, it makes no difference. He doesn't understand that many Americans, even a decent man such as Richard Phillips, see dark-skinned foreigners as one monolithic race, especially to the navy that kills them all. Muse is simply the "other", not Somalian. Because thirteen years after the World Trade Center came crumbling down, reduced to rubble by Taliban anti-pilots, many people still live in a vacuum, still possess a blind faith towards our government, who propagandizes the very nature of its tyrannical foreign policy with doublespeak sugarcoating, using catchwords such as "liberation" and "freedom". Very subtly, the filmmaker evokes the history of Africa's colonization, in which Captain Phillips, presides over a map of the "dark continent"; his hands draped over the shipping route, connoting a sense of entitlement, as the co-captain plots their course from Salalah to the Somali Basin. Unilateral to the main narrative, through its subtext, the film concedes that Muse's people, as well as the whole world, have a case to express their anger with militant force against the United States. Ironically, like the Filipino restaurant workers gathered around the kitchen television, learning about the international currency that Zissou stores away on-board his ship, the Somalian pirates too are only thinking about the money, not the historical circumstances that landed them in the third world ghetto. But in the lifeboat, Muse's cohort, Bilal, despite his limited grasp of the English language, senses the captain's arrogance, as America's colonial past rolls off Phillips' tongue, when he tells Muse how Somalian waters are "international waters", which is analogous to saying that Liberia, albeit populated with Liberians, once belonged to the United States, who colonized the West African country in the 19th century. Phillips is silent, indifferent to the pirate's remonstrative explanation that "the big ships" leave nothing left for them to fish. Whereas the filmmaker understands that the pirate attack on a cargo vessel like the Maersk serves as a last resort to stave off poverty, the captain, as well as the audience, disregards the underlying causes of the conflict at hand."You're not a fisherman," hisses Phillips, when Muse points a gun at his temple. He, alas, forgets that his country plays a hand in hurting the local economy. Once again, the U.S. plays the innocent victim. As if 9/11 never happened, the captain, with appalling ignorance, ask Muse, "There's got to be something other than being a fisherman and kidnapping people?" Maybe, in the final scene, the captain recognizes that the collateral blood on him isn't merely literal. After all, there are no heroes in Captain Phillips. Expand
  19. Oct 14, 2013
    So overall I enjoyed Captain Phillips and it is one of the better films of the year. Good acting, engaging film, and nice cinematography. If you can get past its somewhat lengthy running time and shaky cam & close-ups I think you’ll enjoy the film.
  20. Feb 27, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a nailbiter, and the action begins fairly quickly. Tom Hanks is good throughout, although his accent was unrealistic at times. The movie feels real and people react like you would expect them to. There are a couple of scenes that bothered me that didn't ring true, but overall a solid film.
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie is a Paul Greengrass classic! It's an outstanding movie with fantastic acting, especially Tom Hanks. I haven't seen him this good in such a long time. The thrills are there and the adventure based on the true story is unbelievable. This is worth learning about. Overall, it's another Paul Greengrass hit. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  22. Jun 7, 2014
    Great movie! Captain Phillips kept my interest the whole time.This is a must see movie.It feels short even though it`s not, cause you just lose a track of time trying to see what happens next.
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    Starring in the title role of “Captain Phillips” Tom hanks will undoubtedly receive a well earned sixth nomination and possibly his third Oscar. For two hours he plays the Tom Hanks the audience knows and loves but in the last thirteen minutes tears your heart out as he once did in the AIDS movie “Philadelphia”.
    “Captain Phillips” is based on a true story that made worldwide news
    “Captain Phillips” is based on a true story that made worldwide news headlines in 2009 when 4 Somali pirates boarded the huge maritime container ship the Maersk Alabama with Captain Richard Phillips in command of a crew of 20. The pirates are lead by Muse, played powerfully by newcomer Barkhad Abdi, who should come in for a lot of mentions during award season, consisting of Bilal (Barkhad Abdirahman) a 19 year old who has no idea what he is doing, Najee (Faysal Ahmed) seeing millions of dollars coming his way when he boards the ship and Elmi (Mahat M. Ali) perpetually frozen with fear. The four live in poverty, sometimes earning money as fishermen and all living on khat, a plant also known as jaad, that provides excitement and euphoria but most of all a loss of appetite that keeps them going for days keeping their mainly thin bodies on edge..
    The first hour of the film sets up a cat and mouse game, mainly between the captain, crew and pirates, while the second half is the captain and the four pirates encased in an enclosed lifeboat and the attempt by Navy destroyers, helicopters and the Navy seals to rescue the captain without his being armed. This was a time when no one, captain, commercial ships or crew, carried arms of any kind so the pirates with their rifles and guns have the upper hand even against hundreds of men who want to get them.
    The director, Paul Greengrass, and his cinematographer Barry Ackroyd, along with film editor Christopher Rouse make you feel the claustrophobia of the 5 men in the lifeboat and the power of the waves that an ocean can make.
    As with most films today, except for the recent “Gravity”, this film, running at 2 hours and 14 minutes, is about 15 minutes too long with a few scenes that could easily been cut by the screenwriter Billy Ray which leisurely sets up the raid both by the pirates and the Navy.
    The cast is uniformly fine but it is watching the two men, Abdi making his film debut, and the complete turnaround of stoic, upright Hanks, facing off on tight screenshots that makes this a worthwhile movie to see.
  24. Feb 26, 2014
    This was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and asThis was good flick that i didn't expect to see (but came up during a flight). Hanks doesn't wow on the screen but a rather vanilla. As is the supporting cast. However, the story is what saves this film. As the film progresses you can begin to really feel the tension which is probably 100% less than what it was really like. You cetrainly find yourself rooting for Hank's character, and as this is based on a true story, makes for a cherry on top;. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2014
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  26. Aug 14, 2014
    I know there's hundreds of movies with potential but this is one of my favorites. Captain Phillips is thrilling, emotionally resonant and intense even if you see from a computer monitor. This movie should get an award because for me, it's one of the best movies I ever seen!
  27. Jan 25, 2014
    The movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation andThe movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation and the other one was a clean entertainer on the opposite.

Maersk Alabama is the first American ship to be hijacked in over 200 years. Tom Hanks as captain Richard Phillip was brilliant. He continues to give his performances on the variety of roles in his movies compared to any other actors. That is why he's one of the rare actors in all fine movies of his.

As a formality the movie begins with the story where the captain Phillips' journey commence from his residence in America. After he flee to Oman to take his ship back to his country, he encounters the threat from a small group of pirates. Once the ship was held by the Somalians pirates the series of incidents occurs before the captain is taken as a hostage in a lifeboat. Then after there's no drama, everything was remarkably shown in those crucial parts with a slightly drag in ending. But the tensions were very well captured and wonderfully exhibited to us.

With an excellent direction from the director of the Bourne movie series, this movie came in his another top-notch. The movie had plenty of thrilling scenes takes you to the edge of your seat. One of those segments where I got stunned was when the ship was being held by pirates and when navy approaches to the lifeboat. In those parts I just said, wow!. Now my eyes on OSCAR, how many it will gain and lose is I must wait and watch.

8.5/10
  28. May 25, 2014
    Alright here is another film i have owned for awhile but just now getting around to watching it. I heard a lot of good things about this film seeing that it is a Tom Hanks film you know its going to be enjoyable although i have really never been a fan of Paul Greengrass's bigger movies like The Bourne Trilogy. From what i was hearing from people is that Tom Hanks did an amazing performanceAlright here is another film i have owned for awhile but just now getting around to watching it. I heard a lot of good things about this film seeing that it is a Tom Hanks film you know its going to be enjoyable although i have really never been a fan of Paul Greengrass's bigger movies like The Bourne Trilogy. From what i was hearing from people is that Tom Hanks did an amazing performance in it. I just didn't see that and was a bit disappointed by it if anything i was more impressed by Barkhad Abdi the leader of the pirates ill be keeping an eye on him. The first half of the film was really good the tension they build towards with the Somalion pirates hijacking the ship was great. Sadly though the film takes a dive in the second half when the military gets involved once that happen my rating for the filmed dropped also this is were i thought Tom Hanks performance lacks while Barkhad Abdi rises.

Overall I give it a 7.5
  29. Lyn
    Jan 18, 2014
    Tom Hanks's performance reminds me of Russell Crowe's in "The Insider" -- an average-looking guy, doing his job with no heroics, who goes through a period of very intense anxiety and makes you feel it.. So, Hanks is great as advertised, but somehow the movie is more interesting than it is entertaining. Slow stretches are not filled in with compelling supporting roles or complexity. InTom Hanks's performance reminds me of Russell Crowe's in "The Insider" -- an average-looking guy, doing his job with no heroics, who goes through a period of very intense anxiety and makes you feel it.. So, Hanks is great as advertised, but somehow the movie is more interesting than it is entertaining. Slow stretches are not filled in with compelling supporting roles or complexity. In fairness, I followed the Somali pirates stuff closely when it happened, so I guess no amount of pounding music was going to make me forget for a while that I knew how it was going to end. Expand
  30. Feb 2, 2014
    I really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very wellI really liked this movie. It's tense, exciting, engaging, and ultimately very memorable. Greengrass's direction is excellently gritty and authentic. Under his control everything in the film seems impressively real. I can't believe Hanks was snubbed out of an Oscar nomination. His performance was beyond first rate, especially towards the end of the film. The script is also very well done, even to the point of giving a touch humanity to the vicious main villain. I can't however shake the feeling that the film is somewhat limited. It works great as an action film, as well as a drama, but I can't help but feel that it was lacking... something. It also ends too abruptly. Other than those very small disappointments though, this is definitely a must see movie. I also highly recommend buying it. Expand
  31. Oct 12, 2013
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS is a perfect film. There is not one extraneous moment, one shot that is not needed, no scene too long or short, and every performance is insightful. Running over 2 hours, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS never feels long and director Paul Greengrass keeps you on the edge of your seat without ever exploiting the situation or going for easy thrills. This is adult Hollywood filmmaking at itsCAPTAIN PHILLIPS is a perfect film. There is not one extraneous moment, one shot that is not needed, no scene too long or short, and every performance is insightful. Running over 2 hours, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS never feels long and director Paul Greengrass keeps you on the edge of your seat without ever exploiting the situation or going for easy thrills. This is adult Hollywood filmmaking at its finest. And the ending is sublime. The best moment in a very very good film. But is it possible to be too perfect? Yes! CAPTAIN PHILLIPS lacks the insight, depth or commentary that would really take it into the stratosphere. Expand
  32. May 20, 2014
  33. BKM
    Nov 1, 2013
    It comes as little surprise that Captain Phillips is a tightly wound thriller grounded in reality. That has always been Greengrass' style. What's new this time out is the surprising waves of emotion that hit like a tsunami at the film's end. The credit for that goes to Hanks whose subtle turn paints Phillips not as a hero, but an ordinary man caught in a scenario with no ideal outcome.
  34. Oct 12, 2013
    “Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an“Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an intense, armchair gripping story of one man’s drive and ability to deal with his captors while at the same time seeking to protect his crew and his ship. Tom Hanks was never better and he proves here, as he has done so many times in the past,, that he is a versatile and extremely talented actor. This is action and drama at its best and rightfully deserves a 9.. 134 minutes of viewing time was never better spent. Expand
  35. Nov 23, 2014
    Captain Phillips es una película con un excelente sonido, además de las grandes actuaciones que contiene y su buena dirección hacen que el film sea una buena película.
  36. Dec 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips takes you into the emotional breakdown, playing well with the stress of a wonderful script, Tom Hanks deserves Oscar nomination for this role, you should also consider sound, editing, photography, script, editing, direction, and without doubt award for best film.
  37. Jan 3, 2014
    The master of shaky cam Paul Greengrass directs this tense, exciting version of Richard Phillips true story.

It all gets off to a good start, the main characters Captain Phillips and the Somalian pirates are set up. We know why there doing what there doing and how there paths cross. But it's all just the build up to when the pirates get onto the ship, a very good build up though. One

One of my favorite things about the movie which I only noticed once it had finished, is that instead of the pirates killing crew members left, right and center and the crew members attacking the pirates with makeshift weapons (which is how the movie would have been if Michael Bay was the director) the pirates gain access to the ship and try to find out where everyone is and let Captain Phillips know whose boss realistic things. The whole movie has this tone, there aren't any huge explosions and bloody gunfights with big body counts. It all stays realistic.

However the main attraction of the movie which is why, I think, it's so memorable and being hailed as one of the best movies of the year so far is Tom Hanks. He gives the performance of a lifetime (yes even better than Toy Story). I'm talking Heath Ledger as The Joker standard, now you understand how good he is. Every single second of screen time with him in it is amazing and masterfully acted. I would say that he deserves the Oscar for this year, but I haven't seen Gravity yet. Seriously though Tom Hanks acting in the last scene of the movie is phenomenal and I will buy the DVD just to see that again.

Captain Phillips is one of my favorite movies of the year so far a must see.
  38. Jul 20, 2014
    Outstanding acting! This movie is just must watch for everyone! Based on a true story, it delivers so much pain and pressure that it was hard to believe that this was just a movie! 10/10 For this masterpiece!
  39. Apr 14, 2014
    Great and very solid film. Tense and thrilling with some realistic action. Good plot and acting on point. In fact the acting from Tom Hanks is near perfection, first because you don´t even notice he is acting, you just follow the story and are in from the beginning, and then because towards the end of the film he shows what he´s capable of. Great performance. But the acting from the mainGreat and very solid film. Tense and thrilling with some realistic action. Good plot and acting on point. In fact the acting from Tom Hanks is near perfection, first because you don´t even notice he is acting, you just follow the story and are in from the beginning, and then because towards the end of the film he shows what he´s capable of. Great performance. But the acting from the main pirate is outstanding too, especially for a person who has never acted before. The films does good at explaining the reasons why all these people are in this situation and it works. Only little flaws: it could have been slightly shorter (only a little bit) and the ending gets a little too melodramatic in a way that the rest of the movie was not. Still outstanding. Expand
  40. Oct 11, 2013
    According to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in aAccording to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in a MV Maersk Alabama in 2009. Tom Hanks delivers a great performance who plays a strong captain and he acts very well to become a lost tragic person who was caught up by those nasty pirates. Mr. Greengrass had done very well to make a realistic event with great suspense, very chilling, and tense of seriousness. This movie is unbelievable with terrific story, wonderful performances, and fascinate moments. I definitely enjoy watching "Captain Phillips" a strong commander who held hostage by Somali pirates and it's a marvelous film. Expand
  41. Feb 2, 2014
    I have to admit, for a movie based on a true story. The movie grabs your attention! But that's Hollywood for you. From what I read, the REAL story is alittle different
  42. Oct 21, 2013
    With a director like Paul Greengrass and a leading actor like Tom Hanks you can expect some action and drama. And it is delivered as expected.

This movie is based on real events, the hijacking of a huge cargo ship Maersk Alabama by Somali pirates in 2009. Many people question the historical accuracy of the script. I am not going to comment on it. The movie itself is extremely tense

Many people question the historical accuracy of the script. I am not going to comment on it. The movie itself is extremely tense and well made.
    Maybe the music is at times a bit too "dramatic" to my liking. But performance is solid across the board, and Tom Hanks once again demonstrated that he is one of the very best. I am confident he will be nominated for Oscar and very well may win it (for the third time).
  43. Jun 21, 2014
    Captain Phillips is one of the best movies of 2013, it's Hanks' best movie since The Terminal. Hanks has had a great year with Saving Mr.Banks and Captain Phillips, Greengrass once again gives us an amazing movie, it's so entertaining and exciting. First time actor Barkhad Abdi puts on a great villainous performance as the the Somali Pirate
  44. Feb 13, 2014
    Captain Phillips kept me on the edge of the seat the first hour and a half, then I lose it and recovered it at the end. It's strange how this film manages a great level of tension with such a simple storyline like a cargo ship hijacked by pirates. The clue here is that the movie makes the viewer feel threaten by the pirates, as if he was part of the crew; and the is accomplish because ofCaptain Phillips kept me on the edge of the seat the first hour and a half, then I lose it and recovered it at the end. It's strange how this film manages a great level of tension with such a simple storyline like a cargo ship hijacked by pirates. The clue here is that the movie makes the viewer feel threaten by the pirates, as if he was part of the crew; and the is accomplish because of close camera shots, mainly to the faces of the characters; in contrast with wide camera shots, used for the ship, the life boat and the pirate skiff; and also is the constant massages that the captain sent to the crew by loudspeaker. The story decline when arrives the help for the cargo ship, and here is where all the American power is put on the table, the problem is that is so exaggerated, at the point the it becomes rejectable. Although the end compensate the previous part. Here the direction might not be so good, but Tom Hanks's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination (too bad that didn't happen) and Barkhad Abdi definitely is the innovation here. Expand
  45. Oct 14, 2013
    The movie was extremely well done with fantastic acting, solid pacing, and very engaging story. Tom Hanks is amazing as usual. No complaints. It is long but does not drag and there are some cool military scenes near the end. Highly recommend.
  46. Oct 11, 2013
    People will be talking about Tom Hanks' masterpiece for a long time!!! Absolutely stunning and well acted. A thriller that will never be forgotten!!! Awesome!!!
  47. Dec 21, 2014
    Captain Philips Is an outstanding film.It is stunning and well portrayed.Tom Hanks Is Back and once again did a great job in this movie! Captain Philips has it's own flaws but hey it's still fantastic and deserves a big Medal or award and a thumbs up!
  48. Nov 11, 2013
    I’m not sure if there is some sort of unwritten rule in Hollywood to pump out glorified films of American icons or a quota for the “Based On A True Story: American Hero” genre. With the likes of Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down, and G.I Joe: Retaliation, there is only one way to distinguish these films from the likes of Captain Phillips, and that’s the talent behind, and in front ofI’m not sure if there is some sort of unwritten rule in Hollywood to pump out glorified films of American icons or a quota for the “Based On A True Story: American Hero” genre. With the likes of Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down, and G.I Joe: Retaliation, there is only one way to distinguish these films from the likes of Captain Phillips, and that’s the talent behind, and in front of the screen.

Captain Phillips is a clever, beautiful and meticulous piece of American propaganda. Brought out by its studios Columbia Pictures and Sony, it tells the story of a Captain of an American cargo ship being taken over by a small and young band of inexperienced Somali pirates.

Think of it like this; the film is directed by Paul Greengrass, the same director of United 93, a film that recounts the efforts of average American passengers foiling the plans of foreign terrorist plans during 9/11; it stars our generation’s own Humphrey Bogart, and arguably the most recognizable American actor right now, Tom Hanks, and its produced by the team behind other contemporary American classics like The Social Network. So why is Captain Phillips sinking right out of the water?

I know that, for the most part, I will be in the vast minority with my viewpoint on the film, already gaining critical praise and reception from early festival screenings and talk, most noticeably for Hanks’ performance. But what about the performances of the practically unknown, amateur and first time Somali actors who, not only hold their own beside the masterful Hanks, but at times tower over time like a freighter ship beside a life vessel. Pirates Muse (Barkhad Abdi) and Bilal (Barkhad Abdirahman) stand out more than the other two pirates, but as the award season nears closer, I am sure neither of these names will be announced as serious award contenders when the time comes.

What is most disappointing about Captain Phillips is its massive potential. The film starts off, giving the audience [somewhat] equal screen time to both the protagonist and antagonist, showing the lives of these two very different men and the ‘jobs’ they must perform in order to survive. One individual is a captain of a cargo ship who steers heavy waters to get shipments into port on time; the other is a fisherman who is violently forced to become a Somali pirate for a larger, more corrupt entity. Greengrass and screenwriter Billy Ray briefly touch upon the incongruencies of both men’s worlds and different upbringings as well as viewpoints, but, shortly after, is drowned with scenes of unapologetic American patriotism.

As for Tom Hanks, well, Hanks does what he does best throughout the course of the film. There is no denying Hanks as a powerhouse actor and fine entertainer, just not with the presence of other actors. Some of Hanks’ most memorable and recognized performances (Cast Away, The Terminal, Cloud Atlas) are ones when he is interacting with only himself. Captain Phillips is a testament to that notion; delivering his best and most emotional scenes in either a lifeless life vessel or disoriented and unresponsive to an aiding nurse, Hanks delivers his signature Tom Hanks characteristic, just with a different accent.

Unfortunately for Greengrass and company, Captain Phillips is an unaware, self-reflexive, continuing practice of the “home of the brave and land of the free” stretching its muscles. Just last year, making its premiere at the Venice and Toronto film festival circuit, a Danish film, titled A Hijacking made its rounds internationally, and then shortly after, in a limited theatre bout. The film never found footing after its critical praise and strong reception from audiences. The trailer is also oddly familiar to the style and narrative of Captain Phillips. Yet again, the Hollywood studio system just goes to show that with the right actor and precise director, no idea is safe of Hollywood’s ongoing obsession of being uncreative.

Emotionally charged, suspenseful and paced brilliantly, it is hard to ignore Captain Phillips as one’s familiar, unsteady first boat ride–it may be a bit nauseating, rough, and hard. Making you reconsidering jumping on again.
  49. Oct 16, 2013
    I saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not inI saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not in touch with reality, and not a good Captain. So Hollywood gave us their spin which sounds much better just to sell tickets. If you can accept that the truth lies somewhere in between, then this is a very good film; albeit, truthful or fiction. The accolades this film has been receiving are richly deserved. Tom Hanks gives yet another outstanding performance. Even when Tom has nothing to say his acting chops are so brilliant, that his facial expression, says it all. Just about everyone sat on their edge of their seat as the tension during the hostage crisis is so thick, you can literally cut it with a knife. It's the last 15 minutes of this flick when Tom shows his best acting as he releases all the emotions the real Captain Phillips must have felt. Without question, Mr. Hanks will be nominated for another Oscar. This is a must see movie for 2013. Enjoy Expand
  50. Nov 16, 2013
    Many critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enoughMany critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enough food, and the pirates who sleep on the hard ground and wear clothes insignificant, the performances all of them are very good because they do not speak much but make many facial expressions and gestures, logically Tom H. steals but that only happens in the final 15 minutes, because the script helps, after the end we get the latent print that the great leaders never give evil in his works but his underlings certainly a film that will be fighting seriously by awards. Expand
  51. Oct 11, 2013
    The most intense, atmospheric movie of 2013 so far (year I've seen Gravity and Prisoners). This is an outstanding adaptation of real story with top notch acting and great directing. "Captain Phillips" shoul be nominated for Best Picture at Oscar's, Tom Hanks should be nominated for Best Lead Actor
  52. Mar 23, 2014
    Honestly, this movie was a little overrated, but it was still worth watching. It had good action and a good storyu, but parts of it were pretty boring.
  53. Oct 25, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through theCaptain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through the Gulf of Aden to Mumbasa. However, during their journey, Somali pirates board the ship and take him hostage. From their Greengrass excels in doing what he does best. Delivering a suspensful and incredibly tense experience that will have on the edge of your seats wondering what waits round every corner. Barkhad Abdi's portrayal as the pirate leader Abduwali Muse was wonderful. But as the film heralds towards it's conclusions it's all about Tom Hanks. His performance is undoubtedly an Oscar worthy and he excels and steers the film over the finish line. The film exceeded all expectations I had, but then again it shouldn't have. Paul Greengrass has an impeccable track-record and Tom Hanks never lets you down, he's Hollywood gold! One of the films of the year. Definitely a must see! Expand
  54. Jun 16, 2014
    I have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbusterI have but one word to comment on Tom Hanks' performance: Outstanding. Remark on Paul Greengrass' direction ? He deserves to win the Oscar Award for Best Director. They together brought a tense, thrilling story centering on a man's struggle with ruthless Somalian pirates to guarantee the sake of his crew as a captain's duty while at the same time saving his own life. A must-see blockbuster that makes you unable to keep your eyes off the screen Expand
  55. Jan 17, 2014
    This movie is great, the direction by Paul Greengrass is great, the actors playing the Somali pirates, are actually pretty darn good, and Tom Hanks gives one of his greatest performances ever, which is saying a lot. This is one of the best movies of the year.
  56. Mar 9, 2014
    Looks like a mix of everything we've seen in year, drama, suspense, action, everything, and well executed and directed, does not look like a "based on true events" empty, it seem who has a heart there, not only in Philips, but also, in their own "villains".
    In the end, can be embraced as a horror movie, or even a documentary, because like most of the time, the stronger stands on end.
  57. May 2, 2014
    A film full os suspense that will make your heart beat as fast as the sharp, intelligent movie goes on. A great performance by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi, but there's still some slow unnecessary parts on the film with a shaky camera that makes this movie a bit longer than though.
  58. Nov 10, 2013
    The best thing about Paul Greengrass’ new action thriller Captain Phillips is that it is actually about Captain Phillips. No, this is not a joke.

Phillips is an adept ship captain for the huge shipping conglomerate Maersk. He assumes his role aboard a freighter docked in Oman bound for Kenya, and this route is straight through the Gulf of Aden, past Somali, the most pirate infested piece of ocean in the world. I assume most viewers entering the theatre already know that this film is about pirates attacking a ship. The film does fulfill this expectation in the first act, but from there everything that happens is as unpredictable as is possible to be unpredictable.

First of all, kudos to the trailer’s producers and marketers for selling this film as a conflict totally based upon on the hijacking of a ship. While this is the first major conflict of the film, it is not the only one. As the ship’s hijacking unfolds, and errors occur, whole tangential series of events and complications are created. Greengrass takes these tangents to a place we never could have expected, and all of a sudden we have an unexpected thrilling crisis of a film.

Overall it’s a simple story, but it’s so creative in its originality and unfolding that I was on the edge of my seat the whole film. Since it’s based on a true story I guess Greengrass shouldn’t get all the credit. A lot of the credit must go to one the two scriptwriters, Richard Phillips. He adapted this script from the book that was based on true events.

Second of all, there is a storyline involving the Somali’s and the world they come from. It was a great idea to include this. We are shown that Somali pirates are not just pure evil, but are in many ways forced into the acts of piracy they undertake. In a extremely revealing scene Phillips and Muse, the head pirate, reveal how higher levels of bureaucracy influences both their lives, they both have bosses they say.

In a moment of cinematic excellence, Greengrass actually makes the viewer feel sympathy for Muse despite the fact that he is a maniacal, automatic weapon toting killer who hijacks ships. Sir Greengrass, very well done.

There has been a concern over this film’s release though, and this raises the question that all art needs to consider: do the events of the film/artwork that declare themselves as true have an obligations to actually be true? Or can anyone declare anything and make into a work in itself?

This though comes from media attacks on the real Captain Phillips. According to The Guardian, apparently Captain Phillips himself was not the hero he is portrayed as in the film. He was a notoriously difficult captain to work for, and by sailing too close to Somalia some say he was the cause of the whole incident. Debate aside, very good film.
  59. Nov 25, 2013
    Ripping yarn and not the first time a sailor has "remembered things a bit more heroically" than they actually happened. Barkhad Abdi nearly steals the show as well as the ship... with a great performance.
  60. Oct 11, 2013
    An excellent movie with a good script, good screenplay, excellent direction and well-acted. There is plenty of drama with Tom Hanks doing a terrific job. Plenty to see about container ships, pirates, and the workings of the U.S. Navy. All in all, one of the better films of the year to date.
  61. Dec 2, 2013
    "Maybe in America, maybe in America", says Somalian pirate leader Muse; when Captain Phillips asks if there isn’t more to their lives than fishing and kidnapping people. Such an exchange highlights the desperation of the underdeveloped, but does that make their actions justifiable? Such nuances are key in 'Captain Phillips', Paul Greengrass' new film about a group of Somalian pirates who"Maybe in America, maybe in America", says Somalian pirate leader Muse; when Captain Phillips asks if there isn’t more to their lives than fishing and kidnapping people. Such an exchange highlights the desperation of the underdeveloped, but does that make their actions justifiable? Such nuances are key in 'Captain Phillips', Paul Greengrass' new film about a group of Somalian pirates who hijack a container ship off the horn of Africa and hold the ship's captain hostage. I must commend screenwriter, Billy Ray, for not only blueprinting the details of this docu-drama but also creating a great character in Capt. Richard Phillips and giving humanity to the four antagonists; who were far more than just "The Pirates". With this, Tom Hanks is able to give his finest performance in over a decade as the genuine Capt. Phillips; and newcomer Barkhad Abdi is able to stand toe-to-toe with him; as Muse. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Paul Greengrass has built his career around procedural film making; relying on blunt realism and sharp kinetic thrills. He's in very fine form this time around, doing his best work since 'United 93'. Being ripped straight from the headlines; many may already know how it will all end (albeit, not in such grimy details); but that doesn't seem to matter. Greengrass and his usual editor of choice, Christopher Rouse, know how to construct the adrenaline induced action, the poignancy of the drama and the intensity of the thrills to great effect! “Captain Phillips” was a smart, effective and riveting film; and what else can I say, it was very well made. Expand
  62. Nov 10, 2013
    I tell you this is a great movie. Even if it all wasn't true it was still a heck of a movie. Tom Hanks deserves an oscar. Those black pirates also deserve one too. Great movie!
  63. Mar 10, 2014
    As purely an action/drama film it was very good and Tom Hanks was as good as he consistently is. One drawback is some of the after-story blowback where certain crew members have criticized over-heroization of Phillips (as Hollywood often does) and claims that the path he routed close to the Somali border in order to speed delivery is actually what put them in harm's way in the first place.As purely an action/drama film it was very good and Tom Hanks was as good as he consistently is. One drawback is some of the after-story blowback where certain crew members have criticized over-heroization of Phillips (as Hollywood often does) and claims that the path he routed close to the Somali border in order to speed delivery is actually what put them in harm's way in the first place.
    But the biggest problem with this as with some of the other Navy SEAL-related films lately, is that it is horribly wrong to allow a movie to reveal our special forces tactics. Even the slightest reveal has the potential for putting our troops in greater danger and I have no patience for this sloppy exposure.
  64. Oct 12, 2013
    Finally a good movie and maybe the best of 2013. Tom Hanks deserves an Oscar. The rest of the cast was excellent also. It's a must see movie if you love suspence.
  65. Aug 1, 2014
    This is a moderately dramatic movie that's largely harmed by the fact that, because it follows a real life event that was in the news for several days, you know the ending well in advance. The last third of the movie drags out a bit when the conclusion of everything becomes obvious (or you remember it from the news), and then you're waiting around for something to happen almost as much asThis is a moderately dramatic movie that's largely harmed by the fact that, because it follows a real life event that was in the news for several days, you know the ending well in advance. The last third of the movie drags out a bit when the conclusion of everything becomes obvious (or you remember it from the news), and then you're waiting around for something to happen almost as much as everyone else is. Still, I liked a lot of the acting and the script, so it comes out average. Expand
  66. May 22, 2014
    I always wondered how they wound up in the lifeboat... I'm glad they focused on the details of how the whole thing went down... especially the actual rescue... learned something and enjoyed the well directed well acted film... tom hanks did go a little over the top at the end...
  67. Dec 17, 2013
    2 words: Tom Hanks. No one could have played this part any better. This true story shows how captain Phillips risks everything to protect his ship and his crew. The ending is one of the bests I've ever seen. If this isn't nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars then I will be upset
  68. Feb 23, 2014
    A lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainlyA lot of great things can be said for this movie like the script and Tom Hanks' performance is one of the best of his career but I will say the constantly shaky camera really took me out of it at times. I kept finding myself not focusing on the movie but on how irritating the shake was. I would understand if it was to give you the feeling of uneasiness being on the ocean and I certainly felt that way but it was just as shaky when everything was calm and they were on dry land. Now that was a pretty big problem for me but this movie is definetly worth a watch, especially if you're not bothered by shaky cam. Expand
  69. Nov 5, 2013
    Excellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failingExcellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failing attempt to kidnap a Maersk cargo ship. Four pirates are looking for a kidnaping reward, the ship crew and their captain Philips were trained for such ordeal, they did manage to overcome the kidnappers who had one choice left, escape in the life boat with captain Philips taken captive. The US navy and navy seals put an end to this breathtaking movie, they free captain Philips, kill three pirates and capture their leader. Expand
  70. Dec 28, 2013
    Greengrass' lends his signature documentary feel to the film, giving it a potent urgency that left me feeling more excited than truly emotionally invested. Tom Hanks, typically solid, saves some of the film's most powerful acting for the last few scenes.
  71. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: No comment here.
    Review: Generally good story and acting all around. Unfortunately, the last act was rather long. Although I think it was trying to be true to the timing of the actual event, I think this part let the film down by losing its momentum.
  72. Mar 17, 2015
    Tom Hanks stars in Paul Greengrass' thriller based on a true story called 'Captain Phillips' which tells the story of a man named Captain Richard Phillips whose ship is under attack from Somalian pirates.

This is a well-made, fast paced and intense thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, and Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances in his career since his last Oscar nominated work in 'Cast Away' (2000) or 'Road to Perdition' (2002).

The real star of the show though is Barkhad Abdi, who plays the lead pirate named Muse, and he did receive the "Best Supporting Actor" nomination at the Oscars. He teases Richard an awful lot and comes across as demanding, if not, sadistic, most of the times. He takes over the ship and treats Captain Phillips as his slave and plans to kidnap him.

The way this film moves is fascinating and it is one of the best biopic thrillers I've ever experienced at the cinema, it's actually my number 1 movie of 2013. Many people would vote 'Gravity' or '12 Years A Slave' and while they are great films in their own right, I choose 'Captain Phillips', I did not know what to expect before watching a movie based on a story I haven't heard of, but I did not expect to feel this tense.
  73. Nov 6, 2013
    El director Paul Greengrass da vida a este acontecimiento histórico, pero con un detalle totalmente realista; con el que nos sentimos atrapados sin salida al igual que los personajes que rodean la tripulación del barco (y hasta a los piratas). Captain Phillips, es una película digna de disfrutar y vivir la experiencia lado a lado con este impresionante estilo frenético que solamenteEl director Paul Greengrass da vida a este acontecimiento histórico, pero con un detalle totalmente realista; con el que nos sentimos atrapados sin salida al igual que los personajes que rodean la tripulación del barco (y hasta a los piratas). Captain Phillips, es una película digna de disfrutar y vivir la experiencia lado a lado con este impresionante estilo frenético que solamente Greengrass es capaz de aportar; actuaciones penetrantes, mucho realismo y el no poder despegarte de la pantalla se encuentra en ésta película. Expand
  74. Oct 12, 2013
    Captain Phillips is brilliant, captivating and "direct hit." The film was a little bit slow in the beginning but picks up and leaves you holding tight on your seat. There are moments where you just want to turn away and holding your hands to your mouth. Tom Hanks shows time and time again why he is one of the best in the business. He played the character with so much depth it makes youCaptain Phillips is brilliant, captivating and "direct hit." The film was a little bit slow in the beginning but picks up and leaves you holding tight on your seat. There are moments where you just want to turn away and holding your hands to your mouth. Tom Hanks shows time and time again why he is one of the best in the business. He played the character with so much depth it makes you think what would you do in his situation. The last few minutes of the movie is sure to earn him his award nominations for Best Actor. Expand
  75. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have Camera, Will Shake

Dear Mr. Greengrass, your signature style using a nervous camera and jarring edits from start to finish has become all too tired and cliché. Although you seem to have cornered the market on shooting in choppy environments (hijacked planes and ships), your MO is wonky and outdated. It once provided us with the illusion of edgy unpredictability but no longer substitutes for good story-telling and suspenseful drama. It was fun for a while but substance outlives style. Next time out, unpack the tripod, see if you can't restrain those spasms.

The docudrama appearance of the film is at odds with it's Hollywood makeover and spoiled by casting a movie star in the title role. We can actually believe those were real Somali pirates stalking the ship, barefoot in a motorboat with a machine gun, so what's Tom Hanks doing out there?

Which captain is more likely to be nominated for an Oscar and which one is more deserving, Tom Hanks, the extremely likable hard-luck chap, or Barkhad Abdi, the very convincing "skinny" Somalian in his first acting role? "Relax, everything's going to be okay, Mr. Phillips."

The story was initially framed from two opposing points of view. But for all the time we spend with the Captain and the pirates, we know very little about them. He's married. They are desperate. End of profile. This is why the endings of such undeveloped stories are abrupt and unsatisfying. The scrappy character development is ultimately why the movie needs illustrious old Tom Hanks and the indelible memory of his previous fictional characters. And, without question, a shaky camera.

Much of the dialogue was reduced to short outbursts of threats and fits of rage. The movie could have been released on Twitter. It rang rather empty when Hanks roared out they were not fishermen, since neither he or the audience knew much about them. Given his strategic thinking, you'd figure Phillips would have tried to sympathize with the attackers, get to know them, if only to weaken their resolve and possibly get them to turn against each other. Besides, isn't this what displaced main characters are meant to do? Be our eyes and ears in a narrative of conflict and discovery?

The Somalian Pirates fail to impress us as anything but deadly pests. Their crude onrush leaves me wondering why the most self-important nation on earth, so insanely obsessed and possessive about firearms, doesn't at least provide the old Cap with a pocket pistol for self-defence? Seriously, the only weapons provided for these gigantic container ships, so vital to a global economy, are water hoses?

Some of the more interesting facts and details seemed to either be swept aside or glossed over. The pirates, for all their maniacal posturing, did not kill anyone. Attacking them was like swatting a mosquito with a wrecking ball. The absurdity is evident but never appeared foolish as the filmmakers brazenly flaunted conventional American propaganda. Disproportionately heroic American might and justice was never questioned.(The cost of hiring a warship perhaps?)

The desperation of the pirates mission was touched upon: return with the ship and/or the captain or face certain death. But the resolve of the American naval SEAL to rescue a single individual using its highly skilled and lopsided military was never in doubt. Thus, staking its claim on the foolhardy impression that every individual American life is sacred (if your white, well-to-do and married) but never once hinted that it was likely for the optics alone. This is typically implied by showing TV news coverage of the hostage crisis back home, often from the protagonist's family room.

We were introduced to his wife in the first scene but never see her again. Actually, I don't mind this omission. The movie succeeds rather well keeping us in the moment with a tense, rigid, alert objective in lieu of a broader and richer perspective. I got the feeling something important was happening--but little else.
  76. Oct 18, 2013
    Finally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force toFinally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force to reckon with if he isn't already, and the great Jennifer Lawrence, probably the best actress out there, will be out in the "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" and a new movie with Bradley Cooper later.
    The key to Hanks' greatness is his believability. Regardless of his role, he can assimilate anything, making us really think he is what his role says he is. Nobody could possibly have pulled off "Forrest Gump" or "Saving Private Ryan" except him. Now, as a captain of a cargo vessel bound from Oman to Somalia, his ship is taken over by a bunch of unbelievably scraggly pirates, who all deserve praise for their authentic portrayals as well.
    I must ask is the lead pirate called "Mule" an authentic Somalian who Hollywood rescued for this role? If not, it's shocking how well they did making him especially gruesome and emaciated, almost making the viewer understand how starvation and the brutal regimes controlling that part of the world force people into desperate situations.
    Without giving up the plot, which is predictable because it was a well covered news story, we see the workings of a cargo ship, the Navy SEALS and the plight of Phillips with alarming accuracy and not a shred of doubt.
    It is my favorite movie of the year, and perhaps the most moving part is at the end of the film, with Phillips safely in sick bay, and suffering the hysteria of the ordeal as a Navy Corpswoman looks him over. No silly ass tough guy theatrics here his reaction is just what normal people would do, not make lame jokes like a Mark Wahlberg film. In that briefest of times, Hanks puts himself in the top running for an Oscar, and makes you almost cry. All hail Tom Hanks and the crew who put this masterpiece together.
  77. Mar 23, 2014
    Good acting in general, Hanks shows one more time his great skills in acting. Unnecessary long movie, Phillips begins like the hero of the day, then it becomes a military movie. At last, it finishes being one of the (not few) Pro-USA movies: "USA is goodness, any other country is evil". How many boats, soldiers, helicopters did they need to rescue a single person?... yeah right...
  78. Jun 26, 2014
    Well then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones likeWell then, this is another movie I was late with, similar to 12 Years a Slave. I rated 12 Years a Slave a 10 out of 10, and I was more than happy that I finally got to see that masterpiece. Was my opinion with Captain Phillips (CP) the same? No, but it was close. CP is based on a true story in which a cargo ship is captured by 4 pirates. These pirates aren't charming or likable ones like in Pirates of the Caribbean. This whole story happened about 5 years ago, too. These pirates are insanely cruel and they are also wonderfully acted by these brand new actors. Speaking of acting, everyone does an amazing job, and so does Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips himself. The movie is intense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you think that the scene when the pirates board the ship is intense, you're in for a ride later on. Telling you that my favorite scene came from only a few sentences of dialogue should let you know that the writing and actual dialogue is beyond great, and it is. However, there are some scenes that if taken out, there would be no difference. Overall, it is beautifully shot. I say "overall" because later on when the setting's time changes to night the lighting just doesn't satisfy. Other movies can be wonderfully shot at night, but CP just didn't do this. CP is like a truly masterful painting. However, in that painting, it's like the artist accidentally just some spots of differently colored paint on it, yet everything else was perfect. That's how I found CP to be in my opinion. Expand
  79. Oct 19, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to CP since the trailer, love adventure stories and this was a good one. I'm not a fan of jittery camera films, however, and this one was 90 percent on the jitter even when it didn't need to be. So I have a little headache now.
    The tactical dilemma that's at the core of the story is fascinating and I'm sure has led to a lot of second-guessing as to how the rescue should have been handled.
    The pirates were really scary dudes, despite not having eye-patches or parrots or peglegs.
    Clearly men wrote and directed this movie as they totally ditched the wife after the opening scene. It would have added another dramatic element to have her following the news and getting updates from the military. No doubt their sons also would have come home to support her. This would have been a good balance to Phillips thinking about his family. A massive military rescue at sea is great, but the old ball and chain clinging to the Kleenex would have been a nice, effective emotional touch.
  80. Oct 5, 2014
    Stupid made up movie that has no basis in fact. The real Capt Philips was an **** and it was his fault the ship was boarded by pirates in the first place.
  81. Dec 31, 2013
    Not what I expected, but I am still very much satisfied. I had expected a fast paced thriller with action, but the movie is surprisingly dialogue heavy and thoughtful. Trust me, this is a good thing. The characters always have something interesting to say that makes you think. The performances are also fantastic.

Captain Phillips gets an 8.6/10
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    Excellent and uncomfortably enjoyable. An initial sketch (not gratuitous as Salon.com claimed) gives a brief insight into who Phillips is, that he has regular domestic anxieties: in short, that he is not a hero, or even a hero in the making. Similarly, the introduction to the Somalis helps us see that they are not villains, but victims of the shocking inequalities in the world.

Hanks,

Hanks, cast as Everyman once again, comes under increasing pressure as the ordeal unfolds, yet whilst you want him to be freed, you have more sympathy for the pirates than you might have anticipated. When the might of the US war machine swings into action, the ruthlessness of the resolution is neither admirable nor triumphant. Relief is tinged with regret, that we live in a world where the weak cannot survive against such odds.
  83. Oct 12, 2013
    I've wanted to see this movie since i first saw the trailer and I thought it was going to be the best of the year. While I can't honestly say i was disappointed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. The main problem comes from the fact that it's just too long and drawn out and Tom Hanks spends the entire movie talking like Mayor Quimby. Still, the acting is solid and there areI've wanted to see this movie since i first saw the trailer and I thought it was going to be the best of the year. While I can't honestly say i was disappointed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more. The main problem comes from the fact that it's just too long and drawn out and Tom Hanks spends the entire movie talking like Mayor Quimby. Still, the acting is solid and there are enough thrills to keep you engaged until the end. Expand
  84. Feb 3, 2014
    本片的那种贯穿始终的惊险刺激恐怖只有亲自看过才能真正体验,Tom Hanks影帝级表演,几位海盗的演出也很出色。
  85. Oct 19, 2013
    I didn't like this film, not because there was anything wrong with it. It was well made. The acting and script are good. However, I ultimately found myself rooting for the bad guys. The story itself is too much a "might makes right" story. ...the smug Navy putting the Captain's life in jeopardy justified only by the positive end result. The story itself is completely embellished.I didn't like this film, not because there was anything wrong with it. It was well made. The acting and script are good. However, I ultimately found myself rooting for the bad guys. The story itself is too much a "might makes right" story. ...the smug Navy putting the Captain's life in jeopardy justified only by the positive end result. The story itself is completely embellished. Read the real life accounts from former crew about who the "real" Captain Richard Phillips is. Altogether this reeked of Hollywood BS. The producers made a film that is designed only to make Americans feel good about themselves, and that this one delivers in that regard is entirely depressing to me. Expand
  86. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the greatest amazing acting films of the year is Captain Phillips. With amazing acting by Tom Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi this film is gut wrenching and an amazing film to watch.
  87. Oct 16, 2013
    The biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film andThe biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film and it appeals to you, then the film will deliver. The acting is terrific, the action sequences tight and exciting, and as usual, Greengrass uses a "documentary feel" to his directing that makes it feel as I said as the beginning honest. And that is a great compliment to everyone involved. Expand
  88. Nov 30, 2013
    someone great said this movie is full of pro US propaganda and crap and if they havent yet they should as this is exactly what it feels like when watching this film. Its main characters from scene to scene dash from coward to stone cold hero personalities, every US person in the film is positive and all Somalis are portrait like village people who just climbed down from banana trees.
  89. Nov 9, 2013
    A pretty thrilling and gripping story, but Tom Hanks isn't unleashed until the very end! His character appears, to me, at least, to be somewhat one dimensional emotionally for a good majority of the film. Still a fun movie, though.
  90. Oct 11, 2013
    Captain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings forCaptain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings for other movies! Expand
  91. Nov 22, 2013
    At times, you actually wish the movie didn't so such a good job of placing in Phillips' shoes, it's that tense when it's at its best! There are so many moments where you feel such sympathy for him being placed in such an unimaginably dire situation, and because of it, Hanks and all supporting actors make Captain Phillips a movie that's at times slow, but immensely touching and memorable.
  92. Apr 19, 2014
    Captain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending toCaptain phillips was one of my favorite movies of 2013..this is type of movie that's breathtaking to watch especially since it was based on a true story of a U.S cargo ship that got hijacked from Somali pirates .tom hanks gives a great oscar role as captain Phillips . The actors who play the Somali pirates do a terrific job on there role ..the pacing is good ..and a great crazy ending to this story .overall great movie. ...91/100 Expand
  93. Sep 20, 2014
    Based on the true story from 2009 of a cargo ship captain being hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia, Captain Phillips is film full of suspense. Tom Hanks plays Captain Phillips as he prepares the best a person can prepare for the inevitability of pirates attempting to take his ship ransom.

Quickly the movie sets the foundation for Captain Phillips background, a captain who is doing a dangerous job, despite his wife’s wishes, because there would be a line of men willing. Simultaneously the foundation is set for the pirates, boat loads of Somali men volunteering to hijack a ship, because this is a somber reality of life with no true alternative for livelihood. The crew, Navy, and audience wait as Richard Phillips is put in the perilous position of negotiator and hostage. The pirates are never as brutal as they have to be and the American crew members are never as heroic as they need to be.

Hanks does a more than adequate job as a sympathizer to the pirates, trying to get everyone out of the situation intact and alive. This selfless and heroic character is probably not accurate to the real Captain Phillips persona, but necessary as a counter view to the pirates’ story. I found myself identifying with the pirates, hoping they would have some sense, despite knowing the end to the story. This is thanks in part to the main Somali pirate, Muse, played by Barkhad Abdi. I am thankful he has received as many accolades as he has, though not a trained actor, he turns out a multi-layered character under tragic circumstances.

This movie easily could have been a one-sided telling of the brutalities of the pirates, instead you get a multidimensional story that is more about the current effects of globalization than the thrilling encounter.

More reviews of recent releases can be found at our website.
  94. Oct 31, 2013
    Captain Phillips was, arguably, one of the best movies I have ever seen. While a ten is extremely difficult to achieve in my book, this easily takes the second-highest score. The drama, action, thrill, and occasional well-placed humor were quite excellent, even if it took well over two hours to achieve that.
  95. Dec 22, 2013
    Tom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as inTom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as in Captain Phillips. I cried watching the shock portrayed by Tom Hanks at the end of the movie. Expand
  96. Apr 5, 2014
    The only issue I really had with 'Captain Phillips' was the cinematography in the first half of the film and the chintzy way they "foreshadowed" events to viewer. Especially when based on real events, that is simply inexcusable. I never really got that feeling of tension or anxiety watching the film until the very end. Tom Hank's performance in the last 15 minutes of that film really hitThe only issue I really had with 'Captain Phillips' was the cinematography in the first half of the film and the chintzy way they "foreshadowed" events to viewer. Especially when based on real events, that is simply inexcusable. I never really got that feeling of tension or anxiety watching the film until the very end. Tom Hank's performance in the last 15 minutes of that film really hit home and was some of the best acting I have seen in a long time. Expand
  97. Nov 13, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips isCaptain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips is a father and that his family is in, what appears to be a minor crisis, but not much else is learned. Obviously the point of it was to show that Phillips had a family who depended on him, which increased our desires as viewers to see him live. But I feel with such a lack of developemt it was pointless to show. Other than that the movie is top notch.
    Once Phillips is aboard the ship the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. Hanks does an excellent job portraying Phillips and Greengrass's direction creates the tension and action neccessary for the film. Another plus, is the casting, which creates a very authentic feel to the movie. The actors playing the pirates do a terrific job. So, I definitely would recommend this movie, aside from the weak opening it is fantastic.
  98. Jan 24, 2014
    ''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013,''An Absolute knockout!'' Explosively suspenseful, Brilliant,Powerful as you've heard. Tom Hanks is astounding. The Best performance of an actor on 2013. The highest order of acting definitely raises the bar of what true life action thriller could do. So let Captain Phillips give it to you! Captain Phillips should be on the stage on the Oscar night. Not just One of the Best Films of 2013, One of the Best Films of the decade. Expand
  99. Oct 18, 2013
    Paul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible. He also knows how to deftly build momentum and a sense of impending urgency and doom, which makes his films always riveting and thrilling. "Captain Phillips" is no exception the film accompanies the process of the hijacking of the ship, and the ultimate kidnapping ofPaul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible. He also knows how to deftly build momentum and a sense of impending urgency and doom, which makes his films always riveting and thrilling. "Captain Phillips" is no exception the film accompanies the process of the hijacking of the ship, and the ultimate kidnapping of the Captain almost in real time. The audience accompanies those individuals and is asked to embark on that little lifeboat and partake of the feeling of claustrophobia and fear that is created. The menace is presented in a very realistic way, as is the final part of the film, where the director stages the rescue attempts by the group of experts that are deployed. Tom Hanks is solid as the stoic and resourceful Captain, and the overall supporting group of actors depicting his kidnappers are equally strong in their performances. An overall entertaining film worth watching. Expand
  100. Oct 28, 2013
    Superbly directed by Greengrass and led by Hanks and Abdi's powerful performances, 'Captain Phillips' is a tense and exhilarating film experience, that may lose its way in its second act, but is compensated for in it outstanding first and second.

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.