8.2

1. Mar 25, 2014
    For a person who loves watching true story movies, this has to be one of my favorites and with the fantastic actor Tom Hanks, its definitely been made better.

This movie was definitely interesting and it hit me hard at the end and yes i admit that i did cry.
  2. Mar 18, 2014
    It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding. Just the way the main villain is interpreted made me feel sort of sorry for him. The movie feels real and human, which is made extra important because this is based off of a true story. This is an absolutely amazing movie and one that I HIGHLY recommend you watch ASAP. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing. Expand
  3. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good and entertaining movie from start to end. I like movies based on true events and this did not disappoint. Tom Hanks again displays his great ability in portraying Captain Phillips. Highly recommend this suspenseful thriller.
  4. Mar 7, 2014
    as if we all tom hanks was in saving mr banks which it sucked . tom hanks plays capatain philips an idiot captain who gets kidnaped by a piracy . but tom hanks was amazing in this role .
  5. Feb 27, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a nailbiter, and the action begins fairly quickly. Tom Hanks is good throughout, although his accent was unrealistic at times. The movie feels real and people react like you would expect them to. There are a couple of scenes that bothered me that didn't ring true, but overall a solid film.
  6. Feb 3, 2014
    本片的那种贯穿始终的惊险刺激恐怖只有亲自看过才能真正体验,Tom Hanks影帝级表演,几位海盗的演出也很出色。
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    The movie is inspired by the American cargo ship called Maersk Alabama's hijacking that took place in 2009 on the eastern coast of Africa. For many who think it is similar to Danish movie 'A Hijacking' it is not. Both the movies are about Somalian pirates, but a totally different stories which were based on individual true events. One was very much realistic about ransom negotiation and the other one was a clean entertainer on the opposite.

Maersk Alabama is the first American ship to be hijacked in over 200 years. Tom Hanks as captain Richard Phillip was brilliant. He continues to give his performances on the variety of roles in his movies compared to any other actors. That is why he's one of the rare actors in all fine movies of his.

As a formality the movie begins with the story where the captain Phillips' journey commence from his residence in America. After he flee to Oman to take his ship back to his country, he encounters the threat from a small group of pirates. Once the ship was held by the Somalians pirates the series of incidents occurs before the captain is taken as a hostage in a lifeboat. Then after there's no drama, everything was remarkably shown in those crucial parts with a slightly drag in ending. But the tensions were very well captured and wonderfully exhibited to us.

With an excellent direction from the director of the Bourne movie series, this movie came in his another top-notch. The movie had plenty of thrilling scenes takes you to the edge of your seat. One of those segments where I got stunned was when the ship was being held by pirates and when navy approaches to the lifeboat. In those parts I just said, wow!. Now my eyes on OSCAR, how many it will gain and lose is I must wait and watch.

8.5/10
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    Going in knowing the outcome with a movie like this makes it hard for the story itself to build tension and suspense. Captain Phillips knows this and instead relies on a magnificent Oscar worthy performance by Hanks. He is both realistically credible and emotionally captivating throughout the film, especially in the final act. Barkhab Abdi also leads a good performance along with the supporting cast of Somalia pirates in displaying them as people with no where else to turn, forced into a mission doomed for failure. The film subtly hints at this but never lets it overshadow the emotional journey of Phillips. The direction and sound are all top notch but what really separates this movie from the pack is the outstanding performance by Hanks. Expand
  9. Jan 14, 2014
    Esta pelicula me gusto, tuvo drama."Captain Phillips" esta basada en hechos reales, lo que la hace mas interesante verla, tiene una linda historia y buenas actuaciones como la de Tom Hanks.
  10. Jan 14, 2014
    Is just perfect ,Is interesting ,Is a wonderfull movie, good and professional actors.
    I so diferent butAs i said , Is just perfecte
    The best movie i see
    I love tris movie .
  11. Jan 14, 2014
    One of the greatest amazing acting films of the year is Captain Phillips. With amazing acting by Tom Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi this film is gut wrenching and an amazing film to watch.
  12. Jan 13, 2014
    Captain Phillips is a flawless and intense drama that ratchets up the tension with every passing minute. Tom Hanks delivers a career-best performance as the wily and quick-thinking everyman who does his best before cracking under the pressure. The Somali pirates are also treated fairly and their motivation is convincing. 5/5, a must-see movie.
  13. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely movie of the year 2013! Much better than Gravity. Based on the true story, cliffhanging and made just perfect. I haven't expected so outstanding and excellent movie before I have seen it. Must see!
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    Not what I expected, but I am still very much satisfied. I had expected a fast paced thriller with action, but the movie is surprisingly dialogue heavy and thoughtful. Trust me, this is a good thing. The characters always have something interesting to say that makes you think. The performances are also fantastic.

Captain Phillips gets an 8.6/10
  15. Dec 22, 2013
    Tom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as in Captain Phillips. I cried watching the shock portrayed by Tom Hanks at the end of the movie. Expand
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    2 words: Tom Hanks. No one could have played this part any better. This true story shows how captain Phillips risks everything to protect his ship and his crew. The ending is one of the bests I've ever seen. If this isn't nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars then I will be upset
  17. Dec 5, 2013
    The Best in the movie is that we have a true story, an amazing rescue of that captain, an astonishing acting performance by Tom Hanks which make the movie better, good choice of the somalis, a lot of suspense and one of 2013 top 10.
  18. Dec 5, 2013
    The plot is very amazing. Climax keeps getting higher and higher! Very intense at very point of the movie. Tom Hank did a fantastic job in playing the role, to be honest it could get him an Oscar for this!
  19. Dec 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips takes you into the emotional breakdown, playing well with the stress of a wonderful script, Tom Hanks deserves Oscar nomination for this role, you should also consider sound, editing, photography, script, editing, direction, and without doubt award for best film.
  20. Nov 30, 2013
    Paul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible and Captain Phillips is no exception. Its riveting and thrilling and the last 40 minutes are directed to near perfection with a scene with Tom Hanks that is the best scene in a movie so far this year.
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    For the first time in a while, I completely forgot I was in the cinema while watching this. An immersing plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat with a faultless performance from Hanks.
  22. Nov 28, 2013
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  23. Hum
    Nov 25, 2013
    I normally avoid Tom Hanks movies because they are so corny. Apparently someone kept the bosom buddy in check as the Hanksy melodrama was largely absent. I enjoyed this one!
  24. Nov 25, 2013
    Ripping yarn and not the first time a sailor has "remembered things a bit more heroically" than they actually happened. Barkhad Abdi nearly steals the show as well as the ship... with a great performance.
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    At times, you actually wish the movie didn't so such a good job of placing in Phillips' shoes, it's that tense when it's at its best! There are so many moments where you feel such sympathy for him being placed in such an unimaginably dire situation, and because of it, Hanks and all supporting actors make Captain Phillips a movie that's at times slow, but immensely touching and memorable.
  26. Nov 17, 2013
    Not only is this one of the best movies of 2013, this is one of the best movies Tom Hanks has starred in in a long time. The commercials lead you to believe that the ship takeover is the majority of the movie, but it gets much better after that.
  27. Nov 16, 2013
    Many critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enough food, and the pirates who sleep on the hard ground and wear clothes insignificant, the performances all of them are very good because they do not speak much but make many facial expressions and gestures, logically Tom H. steals but that only happens in the final 15 minutes, because the script helps, after the end we get the latent print that the great leaders never give evil in his works but his underlings certainly a film that will be fighting seriously by awards. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips is a father and that his family is in, what appears to be a minor crisis, but not much else is learned. Obviously the point of it was to show that Phillips had a family who depended on him, which increased our desires as viewers to see him live. But I feel with such a lack of developemt it was pointless to show. Other than that the movie is top notch.
    Once Phillips is aboard the ship the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. Hanks does an excellent job portraying Phillips and Greengrass's direction creates the tension and action neccessary for the film. Another plus, is the casting, which creates a very authentic feel to the movie. The actors playing the pirates do a terrific job. So, I definitely would recommend this movie, aside from the weak opening it is fantastic.
  29. Nov 10, 2013
    Captain Phillips keeps you on your toes from the second you step foot in the theater. Twists and many surprises will await you.
    Hanks performance is worthy of a Oscar with the pirates having great acting themselves. The acting in all the characters felt as if this was truly happening.
    This movie isn't much of an action movie but really captivated me on what a pirate invasion onboard
    would be like and just how scary it would be to be one of those crew members aboard.
    The reason why I didn't give it a perfect 10 is for the lackluster beginning and execution of the drama. Many parts were filler that were unnecessary. Also, many cliches filled this movement throughout.
  30. Nov 10, 2013
    The best thing about Paul Greengrass’ new action thriller Captain Phillips is that it is actually about Captain Phillips. No, this is not a joke.

Phillips is an adept ship captain for the huge shipping conglomerate Maersk. He assumes his role aboard a freighter docked in Oman bound for Kenya, and this route is straight through the Gulf of Aden, past Somali, the most pirate infested
    piece of ocean in the world. I assume most viewers entering the theatre already know that this film is about pirates attacking a ship. The film does fulfill this expectation in the first act, but from there everything that happens is as unpredictable as is possible to be unpredictable.

First of all, kudos to the trailer’s producers and marketers for selling this film as a conflict totally based upon on the hijacking of a ship. While this is the first major conflict of the film, it is not the only one. As the ship’s hijacking unfolds, and errors occur, whole tangential series of events and complications are created. Greengrass takes these tangents to a place we never could have expected, and all of a sudden we have an unexpected thrilling crisis of a film.

Overall it’s a simple story, but it’s so creative in its originality and unfolding that I was on the edge of my seat the whole film. Since it’s based on a true story I guess Greengrass shouldn’t get all the credit. A lot of the credit must go to one the two scriptwriters, Richard Phillips. He adapted this script from the book that was based on true events.

Second of all, there is a storyline involving the Somali’s and the world they come from. It was a great idea to include this. We are shown that Somali pirates are not just pure evil, but are in many ways forced into the acts of piracy they undertake. In a extremely revealing scene Phillips and Muse, the head pirate, reveal how higher levels of bureaucracy influences both their lives, they both have bosses they say.

In a moment of cinematic excellence, Greengrass actually makes the viewer feel sympathy for Muse despite the fact that he is a maniacal, automatic weapon toting killer who hijacks ships. Sir Greengrass, very well done.

There has been a concern over this film’s release though, and this raises the question that all art needs to consider: do the events of the film/artwork that declare themselves as true have an obligations to actually be true? Or can anyone declare anything and make into a work in itself?

This though comes from media attacks on the real Captain Phillips. According to The Guardian, apparently Captain Phillips himself was not the hero he is portrayed as in the film. He was a notoriously difficult captain to work for, and by sailing too close to Somalia some say he was the cause of the whole incident. Debate aside, very good film.

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.