8.2

1. Nov 30, 2013
    Paul Greengrass is a director who always focuses his attention on depicting on screen events as realistically as possible and Captain Phillips is no exception. Its riveting and thrilling and the last 40 minutes are directed to near perfection with a scene with Tom Hanks that is the best scene in a movie so far this year.
  2. Nov 29, 2013
    For the first time in a while, I completely forgot I was in the cinema while watching this. An immersing plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat with a faultless performance from Hanks.
  3. Hum
    Nov 25, 2013
    I normally avoid Tom Hanks movies because they are so corny. Apparently someone kept the bosom buddy in check as the Hanksy melodrama was largely absent. I enjoyed this one!
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    Ripping yarn and not the first time a sailor has "remembered things a bit more heroically" than they actually happened. Barkhad Abdi nearly steals the show as well as the ship... with a great performance.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    At times, you actually wish the movie didn't so such a good job of placing in Phillips' shoes, it's that tense when it's at its best! There are so many moments where you feel such sympathy for him being placed in such an unimaginably dire situation, and because of it, Hanks and all supporting actors make Captain Phillips a movie that's at times slow, but immensely touching and memorable.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    Not only is this one of the best movies of 2013, this is one of the best movies Tom Hanks has starred in in a long time. The commercials lead you to believe that the ship takeover is the majority of the movie, but it gets much better after that.
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Many critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enoughMany critics described this film as the Argo this year (only without the same opportunities for prizes) in my my opinion he is the closest Zero Dark Third, being a real story treated extremely realistic (striking merits Career Paul G.) at first he tries to highlight all forms of the discrepancy of the two worlds, that of the captain and crew, who have their homes comfortaveis and enough food, and the pirates who sleep on the hard ground and wear clothes insignificant, the performances all of them are very good because they do not speak much but make many facial expressions and gestures, logically Tom H. steals but that only happens in the final 15 minutes, because the script helps, after the end we get the latent print that the great leaders never give evil in his works but his underlings certainly a film that will be fighting seriously by awards. Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips isCaptain Phillips is a great movie that was much beter than I expected. I am always skeptical about movies base on real events because you know how it ends. Plus the previews showed an awful lot of the movie;s story in it. But the movie was quite good and did an excellent job of creating suspense. My only problems with the movie were the weak character introductions. You realize Phillips is a father and that his family is in, what appears to be a minor crisis, but not much else is learned. Obviously the point of it was to show that Phillips had a family who depended on him, which increased our desires as viewers to see him live. But I feel with such a lack of developemt it was pointless to show. Other than that the movie is top notch.
    Once Phillips is aboard the ship the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. Hanks does an excellent job portraying Phillips and Greengrass's direction creates the tension and action neccessary for the film. Another plus, is the casting, which creates a very authentic feel to the movie. The actors playing the pirates do a terrific job. So, I definitely would recommend this movie, aside from the weak opening it is fantastic.
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    Captain Phillips keeps you on your toes from the second you step foot in the theater. Twists and many surprises will await you.
    Hanks performance is worthy of a Oscar with the pirates having great acting themselves. The acting in all the characters felt as if this was truly happening.
    This movie isn't much of an action movie but really captivated me on what a pirate invasion onboard would be like and just how scary it would be to be one of those crew members aboard.
    The reason why I didn't give it a perfect 10 is for the lackluster beginning and execution of the drama. Many parts were filler that were unnecessary. Also, many cliches filled this movement throughout.
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    The best thing about Paul Greengrass’ new action thriller Captain Phillips is that it is actually about Captain Phillips. No, this is not a joke.

Phillips is an adept ship captain for the huge shipping conglomerate Maersk. He assumes his role aboard a freighter docked in Oman bound for Kenya, and this route is straight through the Gulf of Aden, past Somali, the most pirate infested piece of ocean in the world. I assume most viewers entering the theatre already know that this film is about pirates attacking a ship. The film does fulfill this expectation in the first act, but from there everything that happens is as unpredictable as is possible to be unpredictable.

First of all, kudos to the trailer’s producers and marketers for selling this film as a conflict totally based upon on the hijacking of a ship. While this is the first major conflict of the film, it is not the only one. As the ship’s hijacking unfolds, and errors occur, whole tangential series of events and complications are created. Greengrass takes these tangents to a place we never could have expected, and all of a sudden we have an unexpected thrilling crisis of a film.

Overall it’s a simple story, but it’s so creative in its originality and unfolding that I was on the edge of my seat the whole film. Since it’s based on a true story I guess Greengrass shouldn’t get all the credit. A lot of the credit must go to one the two scriptwriters, Richard Phillips. He adapted this script from the book that was based on true events.

Second of all, there is a storyline involving the Somali’s and the world they come from. It was a great idea to include this. We are shown that Somali pirates are not just pure evil, but are in many ways forced into the acts of piracy they undertake. In a extremely revealing scene Phillips and Muse, the head pirate, reveal how higher levels of bureaucracy influences both their lives, they both have bosses they say.

In a moment of cinematic excellence, Greengrass actually makes the viewer feel sympathy for Muse despite the fact that he is a maniacal, automatic weapon toting killer who hijacks ships. Sir Greengrass, very well done.

There has been a concern over this film’s release though, and this raises the question that all art needs to consider: do the events of the film/artwork that declare themselves as true have an obligations to actually be true? Or can anyone declare anything and make into a work in itself?

This though comes from media attacks on the real Captain Phillips. According to The Guardian, apparently Captain Phillips himself was not the hero he is portrayed as in the film. He was a notoriously difficult captain to work for, and by sailing too close to Somalia some say he was the cause of the whole incident. Debate aside, very good film.
  11. Nov 10, 2013
    I tell you this is a great movie. Even if it all wasn't true it was still a heck of a movie. Tom Hanks deserves an oscar. Those black pirates also deserve one too. Great movie!
  12. Nov 9, 2013
    Captain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted withCaptain Phillips is based on a true story and in doing so it has created a story of its own. Simply spine chilling good, goose bump worthy and can captivate the most attention challenged person. Tom hanks tops an impressive career with a instant classic sure to be spoken about in the same breathe as godfather, braveheart and gladiator in years to come. The credits need to be greeted with applause for a movie done so flawless, so relatable, and so perfect. My only complaint is there won't be a second. Congrats Tom put this feather next to Forrest Gump in that hat of yours. Expand
  13. Nov 6, 2013
    This really is the best movie of the year. The acting from all the characters is on top and the Somali pirates are absolutely incredible. Even though most people know what happens to Captain Phillips due to it being a true story, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. This is a theater experience not because of visuals but because of how amazing this film really is.
  14. Nov 5, 2013
    Excellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failingExcellent entertainment. Perfect acting from captain Philips (Tom Hanks) and the four pirates (Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, and Mahout Ali), who appeared to be real pirates. Well crafted scenario, calculated talking, well taken shots, interpretive locations, indoor and outdoor, fast pace, tiring rhythm. Captain Philips, a family man, was taken hostage after a failing attempt to kidnap a Maersk cargo ship. Four pirates are looking for a kidnaping reward, the ship crew and their captain Philips were trained for such ordeal, they did manage to overcome the kidnappers who had one choice left, escape in the life boat with captain Philips taken captive. The US navy and navy seals put an end to this breathtaking movie, they free captain Philips, kill three pirates and capture their leader. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all ofCaptain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all of the what the movie has to offer in the trailers, you've got another thing coming. One of the best films of the year. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2013
    Captain Phillips was, arguably, one of the best movies I have ever seen. While a ten is extremely difficult to achieve in my book, this easily takes the second-highest score. The drama, action, thrill, and occasional well-placed humor were quite excellent, even if it took well over two hours to achieve that.
  17. Oct 31, 2013
    Emotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screenEmotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screen impression of him. In his roles, though, he is usually totally believable and rarely gives a bad performance. His Captain Phillips must rank as one of his best. For the most part it is understated and, unusually for a Hanks turn, he blends in to the ensemble rather than standing out as the obvious star.
    Director Paul Greengrass keeps the action up close for the most part creating an atmosphere of claustrophobic desperation. He is aided no end by some stunning hand held camera shots with positioning and angles that truly add to the tension. Even when scenes are in darkness or low light the events happening on screen are clearly depicted, unlike in similar situations in many films where you just don't know what's going on because the cinematography is so poor. The editing too is just dazzlingly brilliant and provides the movie with its rapid heart beat.

The screenplay raises issues on the age of the hijackers and the fac that these 'terrorists' are in fact fishermen who have had to resort to piracy due to the fact that the western world have over fished the seas. However, it counter balances this particular comment by having Tom Hanks' character state at one point 'You're not a fisherman!' when one of the hijackers violently holds a gun to his forehead. The screenplay may have wanted to appear balanced but I personally know which side I'm on. In the end it is the responsibility of individual governments to combat piracy. As they say prevention is better than cure. It is incredible to me that governments will do anything in any other situation to prevent acts of terrorism these days. However, in this known problematic area where the evil flourishes man made laws, I believe, don't allow ships to have the proper security and weaponry to defend themselves against such acts. This is not only costly in all ways, but demonstrates stupidity in an extreme form. Stupidity that should be curtailed now!
  18. Oct 29, 2013
    I have to admit that this movie was absolutely stunning! I had absolutely no expectations what so ever before watching this movie. I have seen the Danish movie "The Hijacking (Kapringen)", which is about the same (Story loosely based on true events).
    Captain Phillips was great! I know you should take the story with a pinch of salt and I did. The movie by it self was so exciting and the last 30 minutes of the game my Heart was literally beating nonstop, faster and faster! Great performance by Tom Hanks. This movie is a must see!
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass Tom Hanks brings another spectacular, emotional, well presented, and inspirational movie to the big screen. The movie introduced new characters but all of them did their individual roles with excellence. The content of the movie is very new to viewers and successfully introduces the life of pirates. When Captain Phillips leads this
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass

When Captain Phillips leads this massive cargo ship from Jordan to Kenya, it was all supposed be a normal route. But, after several hours in the sea, Captain Philips and his crew faced the unexpected reality of pirates. The fear portrayed by Captain Phillips and his crew and the emotional rollercoaster and dramatic environment makes the movie very interesting to watch and enjoyable at the same time.

As American, watching the Navy Seals plan and execute a successful mission to save a single American's life is a very inspiring moment and makes viewers proud. The last minutes of the rescue, the intense exchange between the pirates and the American rescue team and the situation inside the lifeboat was very dramatic and all characters performed their part with excellence.

The movie is a masterpiece in all aspects and is a movie worth watching and a movie that will be remembered.

Source:

Captain Philips Movie 2013
  20. Oct 26, 2013
    A terrific film that is well paced with many edge of your seat moments. Tom Hanks gives a fantastic performance that allows you to feel what a real life situation for a captain is like. A
  21. Oct 25, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through theCaptain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through the Gulf of Aden to Mumbasa. However, during their journey, Somali pirates board the ship and take him hostage. From their Greengrass excels in doing what he does best. Delivering a suspensful and incredibly tense experience that will have on the edge of your seats wondering what waits round every corner. Barkhad Abdi's portrayal as the pirate leader Abduwali Muse was wonderful. But as the film heralds towards it's conclusions it's all about Tom Hanks. His performance is undoubtedly an Oscar worthy and he excels and steers the film over the finish line. The film exceeded all expectations I had, but then again it shouldn't have. Paul Greengrass has an impeccable track-record and Tom Hanks never lets you down, he's Hollywood gold! One of the films of the year. Definitely a must see! Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2013
    A very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable film. Definitely one the best films that I have seen this year and a must see at the moment. Tom Hanks plays a great lead role and I was not disappointed after seeing this movie.
  23. Oct 18, 2013
    Finally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force toFinally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force to reckon with if he isn't already, and the great Jennifer Lawrence, probably the best actress out there, will be out in the "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" and a new movie with Bradley Cooper later.
    The key to Hanks' greatness is his believability. Regardless of his role, he can assimilate anything, making us really think he is what his role says he is. Nobody could possibly have pulled off "Forrest Gump" or "Saving Private Ryan" except him. Now, as a captain of a cargo vessel bound from Oman to Somalia, his ship is taken over by a bunch of unbelievably scraggly pirates, who all deserve praise for their authentic portrayals as well.
    I must ask is the lead pirate called "Mule" an authentic Somalian who Hollywood rescued for this role? If not, it's shocking how well they did making him especially gruesome and emaciated, almost making the viewer understand how starvation and the brutal regimes controlling that part of the world force people into desperate situations.
    Without giving up the plot, which is predictable because it was a well covered news story, we see the workings of a cargo ship, the Navy SEALS and the plight of Phillips with alarming accuracy and not a shred of doubt.
    It is my favorite movie of the year, and perhaps the most moving part is at the end of the film, with Phillips safely in sick bay, and suffering the hysteria of the ordeal as a Navy Corpswoman looks him over. No silly ass tough guy theatrics here his reaction is just what normal people would do, not make lame jokes like a Mark Wahlberg film. In that briefest of times, Hanks puts himself in the top running for an Oscar, and makes you almost cry. All hail Tom Hanks and the crew who put this masterpiece together.
  24. Oct 16, 2013
    I saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not inI saw Captain Phillips in a packed theater during Sneak Preview week. Let me start by saying the movie is outstanding. But many of you are reporting this based on a true story? It depends on your definition of the truth? The NY Post has reported, that 11 of his crew sued the ship company. They blamed Captain Phillips for putting them in harms way and described him as aloof, not in touch with reality, and not a good Captain. So Hollywood gave us their spin which sounds much better just to sell tickets. If you can accept that the truth lies somewhere in between, then this is a very good film; albeit, truthful or fiction. The accolades this film has been receiving are richly deserved. Tom Hanks gives yet another outstanding performance. Even when Tom has nothing to say his acting chops are so brilliant, that his facial expression, says it all. Just about everyone sat on their edge of their seat as the tension during the hostage crisis is so thick, you can literally cut it with a knife. It's the last 15 minutes of this flick when Tom shows his best acting as he releases all the emotions the real Captain Phillips must have felt. Without question, Mr. Hanks will be nominated for another Oscar. This is a must see movie for 2013. Enjoy Expand
  25. Oct 16, 2013
    The biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film andThe biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film and it appeals to you, then the film will deliver. The acting is terrific, the action sequences tight and exciting, and as usual, Greengrass uses a "documentary feel" to his directing that makes it feel as I said as the beginning honest. And that is a great compliment to everyone involved. Expand
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    The movie was extremely well done with fantastic acting, solid pacing, and very engaging story. Tom Hanks is amazing as usual. No complaints. It is long but does not drag and there are some cool military scenes near the end. Highly recommend.
  27. Oct 14, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an astounding biopic that is executed with delicate precision to show the true human side of every character involved in the film, evoking pathos, joy and numerous other thoughts and emotions as the tension is expertly built throughout the film. Without a doubt, this is one of Tom Hanks's best performances of his entire career.
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie was both entertaining and thought provoking. My family was talking about it well after the movie was over and that is almost always a sign it was very good. Even the most critical eye theoretically would call this movie good or very good. The few going negative on it either didn't actually see it or might be trolling.
  29. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie is a Paul Greengrass classic! It's an outstanding movie with fantastic acting, especially Tom Hanks. I haven't seen him this good in such a long time. The thrills are there and the adventure based on the true story is unbelievable. This is worth learning about. Overall, it's another Paul Greengrass hit. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  30. Oct 12, 2013
    “Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an“Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an intense, armchair gripping story of one man’s drive and ability to deal with his captors while at the same time seeking to protect his crew and his ship. Tom Hanks was never better and he proves here, as he has done so many times in the past,, that he is a versatile and extremely talented actor. This is action and drama at its best and rightfully deserves a 9.. 134 minutes of viewing time was never better spent. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.