8.1

1. Oct 11, 2013
    Captain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings forCaptain Philips keeps you on the edge of your seat! You think it's intense when the pirates board the ship, but it takes you to a whole new level later on. I could not look away for a second. Tom Hanks delivers a breathtaking performance worthy of an Oscar nomination and possibly an Oscar. One of the best films I've seen this year. Captain Philips will make you rethink your ratings for other movies! Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    Captain Phillips is brilliantly acted and incredibly tense. It features one of Tom Hanks' finest performances and Paul Greengrass at his best behind the camera.
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    The movie was extremely well done with fantastic acting, solid pacing, and very engaging story. Tom Hanks is amazing as usual. No complaints. It is long but does not drag and there are some cool military scenes near the end. Highly recommend.
  4. Oct 26, 2013
    A terrific film that is well paced with many edge of your seat moments. Tom Hanks gives a fantastic performance that allows you to feel what a real life situation for a captain is like. A
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    Finally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force toFinally, a truly great movie with perhaps "The Prisoner" the only other drama worth seeing in a year of stunning failures. "Captain Phillips" is brilliant, and based on a true story I remember from 2009. Of course, Tom Hanks is the catalyst here, and once again shows the movie world why he is the greatest living actor today, although Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be a major force to reckon with if he isn't already, and the great Jennifer Lawrence, probably the best actress out there, will be out in the "Hunger Games" sequel "Catching Fire" and a new movie with Bradley Cooper later.
    The key to Hanks' greatness is his believability. Regardless of his role, he can assimilate anything, making us really think he is what his role says he is. Nobody could possibly have pulled off "Forrest Gump" or "Saving Private Ryan" except him. Now, as a captain of a cargo vessel bound from Oman to Somalia, his ship is taken over by a bunch of unbelievably scraggly pirates, who all deserve praise for their authentic portrayals as well.
    I must ask is the lead pirate called "Mule" an authentic Somalian who Hollywood rescued for this role? If not, it's shocking how well they did making him especially gruesome and emaciated, almost making the viewer understand how starvation and the brutal regimes controlling that part of the world force people into desperate situations.
    Without giving up the plot, which is predictable because it was a well covered news story, we see the workings of a cargo ship, the Navy SEALS and the plight of Phillips with alarming accuracy and not a shred of doubt.
    It is my favorite movie of the year, and perhaps the most moving part is at the end of the film, with Phillips safely in sick bay, and suffering the hysteria of the ordeal as a Navy Corpswoman looks him over. No silly ass tough guy theatrics here his reaction is just what normal people would do, not make lame jokes like a Mark Wahlberg film. In that briefest of times, Hanks puts himself in the top running for an Oscar, and makes you almost cry. All hail Tom Hanks and the crew who put this masterpiece together.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all ofCaptain Phillips is a riveting, gripping, edge-of-your-seat thriller that doesn't let up on any level of suspense or emotion. Tom Hanks delivers one of his best performances in recent years, maybe ever, and definitely deserves an Oscar nod for it. The Somali pirates don't have a long filmography, but still delivered realistic and accurate performances. If you think what you've seen all of the what the movie has to offer in the trailers, you've got another thing coming. One of the best films of the year. Expand
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    One of the best of the year with great performance by Tom Hanks, particularly the last few minutes of the film, and by the Somolian actor who played "muse." The technical details of a large cargo ship, the work of the Navy, including the Seals, and the rescue operations were well and realistically done. A few critics complained about the opening 5 minutes when Hanks leaves his VermontOne of the best of the year with great performance by Tom Hanks, particularly the last few minutes of the film, and by the Somolian actor who played "muse." The technical details of a large cargo ship, the work of the Navy, including the Seals, and the rescue operations were well and realistically done. A few critics complained about the opening 5 minutes when Hanks leaves his Vermont home and with wife goes to board his ship. This small bit added nicely to the film, rather than detracted. Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not for nothing are Americans accused of being "isolationists", men and women who willfully choose to live out of context with a world they deem insignificant and beside the point. Even in this post-9/11 era, stubbornly, Americans still believe they can live in a bubble, despite the pop heard around the world. Captain Phillips, however, serves as a sort of reorientation to the lessons we learned, albeit briefly, and then forgot, in regard to our blow-by-blow synchronous apposition with other nations as always having been a persistent reality, independent of public cognizance or lack thereof. Days after Islamic fundamentalists irrevocably transformed the Manhattan landscape, we asked ourselves aloud, "Why do they hate us?" The short answer: colonialism. And our collective forgetting. A film such as The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou makes no apologies, or even, mention, about our bloody past. In the 2003 Wes Anderson film, the pirates who attack the Belafonte are Filipino, marauders with a century-old grievance, but because the narrative is ideologically naive, the specificity of their ethnicity is treated as a post-colonial joke. The fact that the American occupation set the Philippine Islands on a path towards catastrophic poverty, in which over 200,000 natives died(mostly from cholera) is not important. Nobody mourns the murdered southeastern pirate that Zissou guns down. The captain's revenge against the jaguar shark takes precedence over the more justifiable revenge. Interestingly enough, genre differences aside, the Danish import, A Hijacking, like the Anderson film, also sees the pirates purely as villains. We either laugh at them, or hate them, but we never understand these Third World ruffians.That's not fair. That's not telling the whole story. Captain Phillips, on the other hand, to its credit, shows both sides. At the outset, the filmmaker juxtaposes Muse's struggle for survival in arid Somalia with the captain's whiny middle-class Boston angst. The pirates, for some, become less villains than anti-heroes. According to Muse, the hijacking is just business, differentiating his organization's agenda from Al-Qaeda, when he first threatens Phillips at gunpoint. Muslim or no Muslim, it makes no difference. He doesn't understand that many Americans, even a decent man such as Richard Phillips, see dark-skinned foreigners as one monolithic race, especially to the navy that kills them all. Muse is simply the "other", not Somalian. Because thirteen years after the World Trade Center came crumbling down, reduced to rubble by Taliban anti-pilots, many people still live in a vacuum, still possess a blind faith towards our government, who propagandizes the very nature of its tyrannical foreign policy with doublespeak sugarcoating, using catchwords such as "liberation" and "freedom". Very subtly, the filmmaker evokes the history of Africa's colonization, in which Captain Phillips, presides over a map of the "dark continent"; his hands draped over the shipping route, connoting a sense of entitlement, as the co-captain plots their course from Salalah to the Somali Basin. Unilateral to the main narrative, through its subtext, the film concedes that Muse's people, as well as the whole world, have a case to express their anger with militant force against the United States. Ironically, like the Filipino restaurant workers gathered around the kitchen television, learning about the international currency that Zissou stores away on-board his ship, the Somalian pirates too are only thinking about the money, not the historical circumstances that landed them in the third world ghetto. But in the lifeboat, Muse's cohort, Bilal, despite his limited grasp of the English language, senses the captain's arrogance, as America's colonial past rolls off Phillips' tongue, when he tells Muse how Somalian waters are "international waters", which is analogous to saying that Liberia, albeit populated with Liberians, once belonged to the United States, who colonized the West African country in the 19th century. Phillips is silent, indifferent to the pirate's remonstrative explanation that "the big ships" leave nothing left for them to fish. Whereas the filmmaker understands that the pirate attack on a cargo vessel like the Maersk serves as a last resort to stave off poverty, the captain, as well as the audience, disregards the underlying causes of the conflict at hand."You're not a fisherman," hisses Phillips, when Muse points a gun at his temple. He, alas, forgets that his country plays a hand in hurting the local economy. Once again, the U.S. plays the innocent victim. As if 9/11 never happened, the captain, with appalling ignorance, ask Muse, "There's got to be something other than being a fisherman and kidnapping people?" Maybe, in the final scene, the captain recognizes that the collateral blood on him isn't merely literal. After all, there are no heroes in Captain Phillips. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Captain Phillips takes you into the emotional breakdown, playing well with the stress of a wonderful script, Tom Hanks deserves Oscar nomination for this role, you should also consider sound, editing, photography, script, editing, direction, and without doubt award for best film.
  10. Mar 18, 2014
    It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding.It starts off incredibly slow, but when things pick up shortly later the movie does not let up. It is constantly one of the most intense movies I have ever seen. I was always on the edge of my seat and constantly unsure of how things would turn out next. Tom Hanks is amazing here, but honestly it's Tom Hanks so that's what you would expect of him. The rest of the cast is also astounding. Just the way the main villain is interpreted made me feel sort of sorry for him. The movie feels real and human, which is made extra important because this is based off of a true story. This is an absolutely amazing movie and one that I HIGHLY recommend you watch ASAP. I give it a score of 9/10-Amazing. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie was both entertaining and thought provoking. My family was talking about it well after the movie was over and that is almost always a sign it was very good. Even the most critical eye theoretically would call this movie good or very good. The few going negative on it either didn't actually see it or might be trolling.
  12. Oct 25, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through theCaptain Phillips is an absolute must see film! A stellar performance by the acting god that is Tom Hanks under the direction of the ever dependable Paul Greengrass makes for a highly watchable film. One of the best films you will see for sure. It doesn't disappoint! Based on a true story, Captain Phillips (Hanks) takes command of the MV Alabama under orders to sail it's cargo through the Gulf of Aden to Mumbasa. However, during their journey, Somali pirates board the ship and take him hostage. From their Greengrass excels in doing what he does best. Delivering a suspensful and incredibly tense experience that will have on the edge of your seats wondering what waits round every corner. Barkhad Abdi's portrayal as the pirate leader Abduwali Muse was wonderful. But as the film heralds towards it's conclusions it's all about Tom Hanks. His performance is undoubtedly an Oscar worthy and he excels and steers the film over the finish line. The film exceeded all expectations I had, but then again it shouldn't have. Paul Greengrass has an impeccable track-record and Tom Hanks never lets you down, he's Hollywood gold! One of the films of the year. Definitely a must see! Expand
  13. Oct 16, 2013
    The biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film andThe biggest praise I have for "Captain Phillips" is that it tells a very dramatic true life story in a very honest fashion. It doesn't feel exaggerated the action and drama plays out in a very straightforward manner. Tom Hanks gives a tremendous performance, with enough hints of the Captain's ego to fight off claims he is being canonized in the film. If you see an ad for this film and it appeals to you, then the film will deliver. The acting is terrific, the action sequences tight and exciting, and as usual, Greengrass uses a "documentary feel" to his directing that makes it feel as I said as the beginning honest. And that is a great compliment to everyone involved. Expand
  14. Jul 20, 2014
    Outstanding acting! This movie is just must watch for everyone! Based on a true story, it delivers so much pain and pressure that it was hard to believe that this was just a movie! 10/10 For this masterpiece!
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    This movie is a Paul Greengrass classic! It's an outstanding movie with fantastic acting, especially Tom Hanks. I haven't seen him this good in such a long time. The thrills are there and the adventure based on the true story is unbelievable. This is worth learning about. Overall, it's another Paul Greengrass hit. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  16. Oct 29, 2013
    I have to admit that this movie was absolutely stunning! I had absolutely no expectations what so ever before watching this movie. I have seen the Danish movie "The Hijacking (Kapringen)", which is about the same (Story loosely based on true events).
    Captain Phillips was great! I know you should take the story with a pinch of salt and I did. The movie by it self was so exciting and the last 30 minutes of the game my Heart was literally beating nonstop, faster and faster! Great performance by Tom Hanks. This movie is a must see!
  17. Oct 21, 2013
    A very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable film. Definitely one the best films that I have seen this year and a must see at the moment. Tom Hanks plays a great lead role and I was not disappointed after seeing this movie.
  18. Dec 5, 2013
    The plot is very amazing. Climax keeps getting higher and higher! Very intense at very point of the movie. Tom Hank did a fantastic job in playing the role, to be honest it could get him an Oscar for this!
  19. Nov 29, 2013
    For the first time in a while, I completely forgot I was in the cinema while watching this. An immersing plot that keeps you on the edge of your seat with a faultless performance from Hanks.
  20. Dec 22, 2013
    Tom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as inTom Hanks single-handedly pulled off a realistic and touching real-life story. Such rescue operations is simply flirting with death. One missed shot from the snipers and your hostage's dead. I hope there'll be more security forces in the waters and in the air protecting our merchant ships from pirates. This will prevent exhausting, resource-wasting and life-threatening situations as in Captain Phillips. I cried watching the shock portrayed by Tom Hanks at the end of the movie. Collapse
  21. Oct 27, 2013
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass Tom Hanks brings another spectacular, emotional, well presented, and inspirational movie to the big screen. The movie introduced new characters but all of them did their individual roles with excellence. The content of the movie is very new to viewers and successfully introduces the life of pirates. When Captain Phillips leads this
    Captain Phillips 2013

Director: Paul Greengrass

When Captain Phillips leads this massive cargo ship from Jordan to Kenya, it was all supposed be a normal route. But, after several hours in the sea, Captain Philips and his crew faced the unexpected reality of pirates. The fear portrayed by Captain Phillips and his crew and the emotional rollercoaster and dramatic environment makes the movie very interesting to watch and enjoyable at the same time.

As American, watching the Navy Seals plan and execute a successful mission to save a single American's life is a very inspiring moment and makes viewers proud. The last minutes of the rescue, the intense exchange between the pirates and the American rescue team and the situation inside the lifeboat was very dramatic and all characters performed their part with excellence.

The movie is a masterpiece in all aspects and is a movie worth watching and a movie that will be remembered.

Source:

Captain Philips Movie 2013
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    Captain Phillips is an astounding biopic that is executed with delicate precision to show the true human side of every character involved in the film, evoking pathos, joy and numerous other thoughts and emotions as the tension is expertly built throughout the film. Without a doubt, this is one of Tom Hanks's best performances of his entire career.
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    Captain Phillips is one of the best films I've seen this year with a all round great performance by Tom Hanks it kept me on the edge of my seat the same way Paul Greengrass did with United 93 suspenseful the moment the pirates get on the ship and take over I was thinking this is good enough but then it gets even better as the movie plays out. Tom Hanks will get an oscar nomination for hisCaptain Phillips is one of the best films I've seen this year with a all round great performance by Tom Hanks it kept me on the edge of my seat the same way Paul Greengrass did with United 93 suspenseful the moment the pirates get on the ship and take over I was thinking this is good enough but then it gets even better as the movie plays out. Tom Hanks will get an oscar nomination for his performance in this movie or even an Oscar which I think he should overall great movie. Acting A, Music A, Writing A, Movie 10 out of 10 Expand
  24. Oct 12, 2013
    Finally a good movie and maybe the best of 2013. Tom Hanks deserves an Oscar. The rest of the cast was excellent also. It's a must see movie if you love suspence.
  25. Oct 12, 2013
    “Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an“Captain Phillips” is the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and his cargo ship Maersk Alabama which, in 2009, became the first American cargo ship to be hijacked by pirates in over 200 years. The film stars Tom Hanks in the title role with Barkhad Abdi and Barkhard Addirahman playing 2 of the 4 Somalian pirates. Written by Billy Ray and based on the book by the Captain,, this is an intense, armchair gripping story of one man’s drive and ability to deal with his captors while at the same time seeking to protect his crew and his ship. Tom Hanks was never better and he proves here, as he has done so many times in the past,, that he is a versatile and extremely talented actor. This is action and drama at its best and rightfully deserves a 9.. 134 minutes of viewing time was never better spent. Expand
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    Emotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screenEmotions run high in this piracy adventure which is gripping from beginning to end. It is also a much better film than the trailer marketing it suggests. I have always been rather irritated by the Tom Hanks' movie star persona, all saccharine and beaming smiles, and his choice of films are invariably of a very conventional or commercial nature (or both!) adding weight to one's off screen impression of him. In his roles, though, he is usually totally believable and rarely gives a bad performance. His Captain Phillips must rank as one of his best. For the most part it is understated and, unusually for a Hanks turn, he blends in to the ensemble rather than standing out as the obvious star.
    Director Paul Greengrass keeps the action up close for the most part creating an atmosphere of claustrophobic desperation. He is aided no end by some stunning hand held camera shots with positioning and angles that truly add to the tension. Even when scenes are in darkness or low light the events happening on screen are clearly depicted, unlike in similar situations in many films where you just don't know what's going on because the cinematography is so poor. The editing too is just dazzlingly brilliant and provides the movie with its rapid heart beat.

The screenplay raises issues on the age of the hijackers and the fac that these 'terrorists' are in fact fishermen who have had to resort to piracy due to the fact that the western world have over fished the seas. However, it counter balances this particular comment by having Tom Hanks' character state at one point 'You're not a fisherman!' when one of the hijackers violently holds a gun to his forehead. The screenplay may have wanted to appear balanced but I personally know which side I'm on. In the end it is the responsibility of individual governments to combat piracy. As they say prevention is better than cure. It is incredible to me that governments will do anything in any other situation to prevent acts of terrorism these days. However, in this known problematic area where the evil flourishes man made laws, I believe, don't allow ships to have the proper security and weaponry to defend themselves against such acts. This is not only costly in all ways, but demonstrates stupidity in an extreme form. Stupidity that should be curtailed now!
  27. Oct 11, 2013
    People will be talking about Tom Hanks' masterpiece for a long time!!! Absolutely stunning and well acted. A thriller that will never be forgotten!!! Awesome!!!
  28. Oct 11, 2013
    The most intense, atmospheric movie of 2013 so far (year I've seen Gravity and Prisoners). This is an outstanding adaptation of real story with top notch acting and great directing. "Captain Phillips" shoul be nominated for Best Picture at Oscar's, Tom Hanks should be nominated for Best Lead Actor
  29. Oct 11, 2013
    It's a funny and great movie. the best is that i was happy when i looked at it! Like when i was siting and looking at it in the cinema. i eated popcorn!
  30. Oct 11, 2013
    According to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in aAccording to Richard Phillips' "A Captain Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, And Dangerous Days At Sea," he tells his true story about a brave commander was kidnapped by pirates. Director, Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, and United 93) adapts Mr. Phillips' latest feature "Captain Phillips" about a naval officer who has been hijacked by four Somali pirates in a MV Maersk Alabama in 2009. Tom Hanks delivers a great performance who plays a strong captain and he acts very well to become a lost tragic person who was caught up by those nasty pirates. Mr. Greengrass had done very well to make a realistic event with great suspense, very chilling, and tense of seriousness. This movie is unbelievable with terrific story, wonderful performances, and fascinate moments. I definitely enjoy watching "Captain Phillips" a strong commander who held hostage by Somali pirates and it's a marvelous film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Oct 21, 2013
    Squeezing every drop of tension from wet-ink recent history, Phillips only falters when making its protagonists mouthpieces in a broader geopolitical debate. Otherwise, it’s full steam ahead to the Oscars.
  2. Reviewed by: Kenneth Turan
    Oct 11, 2013
    The piercingly realistic Captain Phillips will exceed your expectations.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Oct 11, 2013
    Greengrass is an expert hijacker, too. He hijacks our good sense.