7.8

1. Oct 18, 2010
    Carlos is as good as a movie gets. It is 5 1/2 hours of riveting pulse. Carlos sparks the internal fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    Okay, it had some good points: the scenery was pretty, the acting was competent, the photography was in focus.
    But, so unoriginal! Couldn't they come up with something fresh and new, instead of this predictable rehash of The Assignment? They even stole the main character's name from The Day of the Jackal? Get real!
  3. Jan 17, 2011
    Amazing miniseries! Personally I am venezuelan and the acting was outstanding. I am overwhelmed by the fact that it won a golden globe (being a french miniseries). 3 parts that are totally worth watching
  4. Oct 18, 2010
    You aren't likely to see another showcase that can un-romantically translate the story of a larger-than-life figure, in order to leave him all out there for YOU to judge his actions. Olivier Assayas has a trained eye to say the least. A real triumph in character, environment and story. Edgar Ramirez has arrived!
  5. Jan 11, 2011
    Long, predictable,and has been done again, and again. If the critics like it I'll see the lowest rated films they list first. If it's not political, they don't like it. Can't we get an honest review??
  6. Jul 21, 2011
    The movie is quite good from the start. and maintains attention for hour and half then after words all of sudden it becomes so boring its hard to realize that its the same movie. You continue watching in hope that something interesting will happen. but all in despair. its better to turn it off after one and half hour then to waste your time.
  7. Lyn
    Jun 5, 2011
    Riveting -- have to thank the Sundance channel for providing 5 1/2 hours of engrossing, escapist entertainment during a boring weekend! Lead actor Edgar Ramirez is so charismatic that I couldn't avoid a few qualms about the terrorist being portrayed as such a sexy, glam guy. But the production as a whole, especially the controlled tedium of the final segment, gradually reveals the flaws of his character and the desperation of his existence. What irony as he bloviates about being "soldier" against imperialistic enemies while swilling endless glasses of Johnny Walker Red. Terrific storytelling. Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2011
    I watched the shorter version and felt the need for more. Its such an epic story both in scale and ambition that I would watch the long version if I could find it. Its hard to explain that such an un-likeable charactor as Carlos is so not to find him and his story interesting. Politics and terrorism are not what Carlos is about but rather the need for power and respect. An interesting movie that doesn't glamorize or judge its content which is something alot of Hollywood movies could learn from. Collapse
  9. Dec 30, 2012
    I'm shocked by the high ratings. I saw the short version, so maybe that has something to do with it, but this movie was ALL TALK.

You have no idea who Carlos is, other than a glory seeker with an un-articulated affinity to a cause. There are lots of scenes with talking but there is nothing behind them. Carlos is as ineffable at the end as the beginning. The OPEC scene and the scene with
    the Venezuelan student's apartment are decent, but made even more stark by the nothingness that happens for the rest of the film. And you get the feeling things are going on off camera, but you get no feeling for why anyone would treat this guy with ANY respect much less risk providing him sanctuary.

Maybe the 5 hour thing is better, but I could never bring myself to sit through it. A waste of three hours.
  10. May 16, 2011
    love it an awesome star making performance by its lead. direction was brilliant and you can not believe you are watching a 5 hour film saga.cant wait to see the next films of this great actor/director.
  11. Sep 27, 2011
    There is no better film out right now. Just dynamite drama and action. Is it too long at 5 1/2 hours? Hell no! I wanted more. There is a 60 action sequence equaled only by Scorsese's Goodfellas - yeah, it's that good..
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    Excellent. Be sure to watch it in it's full 336 minute glory. I went in thinking this would be a propaganda piece one way or the other, but left feeling the creators did a reasonable job avoiding that. There is a bit of it, but it's slight. Well acted, well casted, well written. It makes Homeland look like the crappy show it is.
  13. Aug 23, 2012
    A pretty well done gritty, raw biopic. Well written, and well acted, hits all the high points of this ruthless terrorist. Where this film fell short for me was the lack of motivation that is portrayed in Carlos, and the brevity of most of the plot points. Whether this is from lack of information on the character or lack of time in the film is hard to know, but for me it kept the film from being the completely satisfying picture of this character that I was hoping for. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Dec 30, 2010
    Part of the accomplishment of Carlos is the sheer accumulation of detail the movie amasses, and the longer running time gives you a deeper sense of the terrorist lifestyle, and when and why Ilich gradually succumbed to ego and self-glorification without realizing it.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Dec 7, 2010
    I haven't seen the shorter version, but I would hate to lose one moment of the gripping 66-minute sequence-really the heart of the movie-in which Carlos plots and executes his spectacular 1975 raid on the meeting of OPEC ministers in Vienna.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Oct 28, 2010
    Carlos moves like a greyhound out of the gate, fleet and assured and focused on the business at hand. It's a subtle, ultimately staggering portrayal of a bloody-minded ideologue who convinced only himself.