Cars

7.2

1. Dec 5, 2014
    In this movie, the protagonist from the city is emotionally unbalanced and has lessons to learn. The supporting characters from a small town are wise and help teach him those lessons. If you feel that cities are good and small towns are bad, then you won't like this movie.
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    Pixar's "Cars" is a visual masterpiece with a good morale planted within the movie. However, if I am correct that this company was the creator of "Toy Story" and "WALL-E", I expect more.
  3. JeffW
    Jun 10, 2006
    In my local paper, they used a review that put Cars at 2.5 stars. From my perspective, it was 4 out of 5. Not on par with Toy Story II or The Incredibles, but the attention to detail and the absolute love and care that is obvious in every rendered frame of this film shows through constantly. The story teaches lessons that are missing in too many films directed at children, like In my local paper, they used a review that put Cars at 2.5 stars. From my perspective, it was 4 out of 5. Not on par with Toy Story II or The Incredibles, but the attention to detail and the absolute love and care that is obvious in every rendered frame of this film shows through constantly. The story teaches lessons that are missing in too many films directed at children, like cultivating relationships instead of attention and glory, and remembering that life is more about the cruise than the destination. One last thing... Unlike the review mentioned above, I found the humor plentiful and lush, not barren and dry. Expand
  4. PatrickW.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Run, don't walk. Okay, speed out and go see Cars. This is almost unbelievably Pixar's best film - it's amazing that they actually could top themselves again. There are only a couple of plot points where you think, "okay, they did that because it's a kid's film." Beyond the phenomenal graphics and the amazing storytelling ability, the movie excels in two unexpected Run, don't walk. Okay, speed out and go see Cars. This is almost unbelievably Pixar's best film - it's amazing that they actually could top themselves again. There are only a couple of plot points where you think, "okay, they did that because it's a kid's film." Beyond the phenomenal graphics and the amazing storytelling ability, the movie excels in two unexpected ways: * the cameos are hilarious... more than any other Pixar movie, and very appropriate to the subject matter. You'll get them if you're a fan of NASCAR, NBC (sports) or NPR. * they had the most amazing opportunity to sell out... you're doing a NASCAR-styled film... so you could have literally tens of thousands of product placement opportunities on in to the merchandising opportunities... but they don't. Not a single brand in the film is real. And, if you're a fan of Pixar films (or of a certain Cheers star,) be sure you stay into the credits. Self-referential was never so funny. Expand
  5. AtticusJ.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Yikes. Something went horribly wrong here. The CG scenery is pretty, but that can't compensate for the rest: forced voice acting, eye-roll-inducing moralizing, lame jokes, a predictable story arc (gosh, do you suppose the hot-shot protagonist will make friends with the small town residents and learn some obvious Life Lessons?) and characters that all have personalities lifted Yikes. Something went horribly wrong here. The CG scenery is pretty, but that can't compensate for the rest: forced voice acting, eye-roll-inducing moralizing, lame jokes, a predictable story arc (gosh, do you suppose the hot-shot protagonist will make friends with the small town residents and learn some obvious Life Lessons?) and characters that all have personalities lifted straight from templates in the Big Book of Cartoon Stereotypes. Pixar's The Incredibles, by contrast, proved truly engaging to watch - all that attention to the characters' eccentricities and subliminal tics - and that screenplay was smarter than the spy-thriller/superhero genres it parodied. Where has that smartness gone? If you saw the trailer for Cars and had a negative gut reaction, trust your reaction and steer clear, despite what you know of Pixar. In aiming for the mainstream here, Pixar has sacrificed a large part of what makes its movies magical and unique, and the strange thing is that nobody much seems to have noticed the problem. As for me, I winced a lot and tried as best I could to just enjoy the visuals. Expand
  6. May 25, 2011
    Cars tries desperately to be funny, but most of the jokes tend to fall flat. Also, I'm not quite sure how talking cars would be able to build the ragtag Radiator Springs anyway.
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    I thought that "Cars", even at 117 minutes, is slightly overlong. The film is quite dull in places where nothing exciting is happening. The film also lacks a script with some emotion, however, the animation is fabulous. Prepare yourself for some exciting car-racing scenes!
  8. AlisonC.
    Jun 8, 2006
    Not quite up to the perfect 10 of the Incredibles, and Toy Story II, but definitly the first great movie of the summer and 10 X better than any of the other animated movies of the last few years. A huge reminder why Pixar is in a class of itself.
  9. LeeS.
    Sep 5, 2006
    Pixar finally delivers a mediocre product. The story was slow and 100% predictable. If cars and racing aren't your thing, there's not much for you in this movie. My daughters were bored. The visuals were great.
  10. RobH.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Lame, predictable plot and flat characters, but awesome animation and action. As pretty as Incredibles and Finding Nemo, but not nearly as emotionally engaging. You just don't care about the main character.
  11. JonS.
    Jun 29, 2006
    American Drivel at it's worst ... I think it's one of the only movies where not only myself but my children wanted to leave the cinema. Boring to say the least and might only appeal to the americans. As others have pointed out, if this is indicitave of what pixar are going to be churning out post-disney buyout then im thinking there is no hope for them.
  12. MikeD.
    Sep 10, 2006
    Wow, what a disappointing bore! There was nothing clever, interesting, new or funny about this movie. (For adults - I'm sure kids will love it, however.)
  13. Aug 25, 2010
    Pixar are known for intelligence and among the best in there field so it's mystifying why they made this. It's not awful but it doesn't even come close to the standard which they've set and normally achieve. Fart jokes don't belong in a Pixar film and that alone should deter you from this quite depressing film, also the charachters are far below standard as is the story. Pixar havePixar are known for intelligence and among the best in there field so it's mystifying why they made this. It's not awful but it doesn't even come close to the standard which they've set and normally achieve. Fart jokes don't belong in a Pixar film and that alone should deter you from this quite depressing film, also the charachters are far below standard as is the story. Pixar have completely redeemed themselves and have created some of the best films ever made but while I've forgiven them, I will never forget this slip up Expand
  14. Jul 25, 2011
    I know why it's considered Pixar's weakest flick. The animation is beautiful as always and like the design of the vehicles, the big drawback is that the plot is unoriginal as it takes plot threads from Doc Hollywood and Days of Thunder. Another thing is that the characters are underdeveloped not even the voices of Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, George Carlin and the stereotypical redneck LarryI know why it's considered Pixar's weakest flick. The animation is beautiful as always and like the design of the vehicles, the big drawback is that the plot is unoriginal as it takes plot threads from Doc Hollywood and Days of Thunder. Another thing is that the characters are underdeveloped not even the voices of Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, George Carlin and the stereotypical redneck Larry the Cable Guy can save this from being a snooze fest. What really killed it from winning an Oscar for Best Animated Feature was the soundtrack (which includes Rascal Flatt's butchering rendition of Tom Cochrane's Life Is A Highway) and the merchandise including video games, toys books and those Mater shorts including the one where he battles against Japanese drifters which was shown before Bolt. It's almost as though Pixar thought made so many good films and need a weak one to even it out.
    Those who loved Pixar from the beginning may have to skip it or give it a rental. It may entertain kids, but anybody over 12 might feel alienated.
  15. Nov 7, 2011
    The animation is flashy but the story is as dull as any other animated movie. There was nothing that was special about this movie, the characters were forgettable, the scenes uninspired and the inner message falls flat. Cars is not bad but I rank it the lowest of all Pixar animations. Pass on this one.
  16. Aug 7, 2011
    WOAH WOAH WOAH . How can the movie cars recieve a lower review then Ratatouille ? That movie was not only a waste of time but had no base no moral , My kids were asking to go home or to the mall it was a COMPLETE waste of time. Who cares about a Rat that can cook pullling a mans hair ? The commercial Was a 10/10 but the movie was a full blown 1 . Cars is a great movie , i see nothing wrongWOAH WOAH WOAH . How can the movie cars recieve a lower review then Ratatouille ? That movie was not only a waste of time but had no base no moral , My kids were asking to go home or to the mall it was a COMPLETE waste of time. Who cares about a Rat that can cook pullling a mans hair ? The commercial Was a 10/10 but the movie was a full blown 1 . Cars is a great movie , i see nothing wrong in it. And im the one whos a picky movie chooser. Walle put me to sleep yet people raved about it. In my opinion critics are still upset about the cars talking , build a bridge get over it .If full grown adults have a problem with lions ants monsters cars or anything talking in pixar movies , Quit watchin em . This movie is one of the best pixar movies to date. If you wanna complain about a movie that sucks , watch cars 2. But cars 1 by no means is a incomplete movie etc. Its very well put together etc. My opinion and I Really dont care what anyone has to say bout it. It is a 100 / 100 for me and many others. Good day haters. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2012
    Cars is an okay movie, but the sequel is a mess. I'm not a fan of the merchandise they have so far and quite possibly the most overrated movie in Pixar's 17-year run. Although it can't match the success of the Toy Story series, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or Monsters, Inc., but it has a lot of great racing action and a slew of characters like Lightning McQueen and Mater. Well, probablyCars is an okay movie, but the sequel is a mess. I'm not a fan of the merchandise they have so far and quite possibly the most overrated movie in Pixar's 17-year run. Although it can't match the success of the Toy Story series, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or Monsters, Inc., but it has a lot of great racing action and a slew of characters like Lightning McQueen and Mater. Well, probably I'll rent the movie, but I hope Pixar could make a better Cars movie or else I'll stay home watching Toy Story 3. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2011
    The premise is just dead on arrival. Really? Cars? That isn't an idea for a Pixar movie that's an idea for a second rate PC game to teach kids about the importance of sharing. In fact, everything about Cars feels second-rate. The story is surprisingly unimaginative and cliched, which I wouldn't mind so much if Pixar had done it well. But they didn't. Cars doesn't have the same touch thatThe premise is just dead on arrival. Really? Cars? That isn't an idea for a Pixar movie that's an idea for a second rate PC game to teach kids about the importance of sharing. In fact, everything about Cars feels second-rate. The story is surprisingly unimaginative and cliched, which I wouldn't mind so much if Pixar had done it well. But they didn't. Cars doesn't have the same touch that other Pixar movies did. It isn't as original as Toy Story. It isn't as well animated as The Incredibles. It isn't as touching as Finding Nemo. It isn't as inventive as Monsters, Inc. Cars feels like a lazy effort to ride on the coattails of The Incredibles and other Pixar movies. The drama is recycled, and surprisingly shallow, the animation is average by standards, and the comedy... don't even get me started. Expand
  19. Jan 2, 2012
    Look Pixar's Cars is hard to love because you know they are cars, but the film is packed with so much heart it fills you up inside. I give this movie a strong 68%.
  20. Mar 26, 2014
    Even when I was at the age range to like this movie, I thought it was tedious, painful to watch, and very unsatisfying. Anything that you want to happen doesn't. It's like the opposite of a feel-good movie.
  21. JoelW.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Another great Pixar feature. Better than A Bugs Life, inferior to Finding Nemo.
  22. Ashes
    Jun 9, 2006
    Leave it to Disney to release a kiddie propoganda movie as Global Warming is really heating up. Yeah, way to go. Humanize our unnecessary demise and celebrate backwards thinking. All of that aside, the movie is actually quite good. I just have trouble with the timing.
  23. JohnH.
    Jul 3, 2006
    The Jon S. before me suggested the movie was typical "American Drivel". He has got it completely wrong. American "culture" IS riding down-hill, in music, TV broadcasts, and in movies. But the sort of crap I would call American drivel is the stream of cheap, dumb comedies released every week. Theaters are flooded in sequels to Scary Movies, Garfield Movies, Adam Sandler Movies, and The Jon S. before me suggested the movie was typical "American Drivel". He has got it completely wrong. American "culture" IS riding down-hill, in music, TV broadcasts, and in movies. But the sort of crap I would call American drivel is the stream of cheap, dumb comedies released every week. Theaters are flooded in sequels to Scary Movies, Garfield Movies, Adam Sandler Movies, and computer animated trash like Doogal and Over the Hedge. This movie was better written than all of the above, truly funny and clever. The typical Disney happy endings and abundant morals get somewhat tiresome for a 15 year old like myself, but my Mom enjoyed Cars even more than I did! It may not quite measure up to the Incredibles (which I consider one of my favorite 10 movies), but Pixar has done worse before (A Bug's Life). It defies the trend of recent comedies sucking, and could never be called "American Drivel". Expand
  24. HexenM.
    Aug 7, 2007
    This movie reminds me of why route 66 is in need of so much repair.This movie also is great children of all ages.Cars makes you think of good Cars. I also like the story. Like a 1948 Tucker the movie runs together nicely and is custom all the way. I really enjoyed cars even for a Teen.
  25. Ld.
    Sep 29, 2007
    Good but compared to the others not great.
  26. BM
    Nov 7, 2006
    I intentionally missed the cinema release of 'Cars' because I was concerned about the length. Now I regret not seeing it in it's big screen glory. However, watching this movie in comfort, and at my own pace, is a magical pleasure. This really is another Pixar marvel. And like the other Pixars, this will stand up to many, many repeat viewings. My 11 year old daughter and her I intentionally missed the cinema release of 'Cars' because I was concerned about the length. Now I regret not seeing it in it's big screen glory. However, watching this movie in comfort, and at my own pace, is a magical pleasure. This really is another Pixar marvel. And like the other Pixars, this will stand up to many, many repeat viewings. My 11 year old daughter and her two year old brother were transfixed, and quite frankly, so was I. Expand
  27. KeithB.
    Jun 11, 2006
    While not the best movie I've seen, its definitely up on the list of those of my favorites. As a car guy, I loved the attention to detail, and all the hidden things that the average person probably wouldn't notice. Also, pay attention during the credits, and following them for some more fun.
  28. AndyC.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Cars continues the Pixar tradition of humoring us in the details, e.g. the "incescts" that are really miniature vw bugs with tiny wings. There is alot to love in this movie - the voice acting is tremendous and they definately matched the cars well with the actors. The story itself is heartwarming and tugs at your heartstrings in certain parts (like when no one shows up to their "Welcome Cars continues the Pixar tradition of humoring us in the details, e.g. the "incescts" that are really miniature vw bugs with tiny wings. There is alot to love in this movie - the voice acting is tremendous and they definately matched the cars well with the actors. The story itself is heartwarming and tugs at your heartstrings in certain parts (like when no one shows up to their "Welcome to Radiator Springs I-40" party) Honestly, I don't see what else could have been done to make this movie better. Sure, its not a Finding Nemo or Toy Story II, but it is still - BY FAR - the best computer animated movie which has come out this year. Go see it, you will not be dissapointed. Expand
  29. Tonydannie
    Jun 11, 2006
    Simply put. Pixar at it's best. Seeing a pixar film once again directer by John Lasseter is a joy. And what better way to say good bye to an old Pixar friend(Joe Ranft) then this? He will be greatly missed. It has that Bug's Life feel to it. Everything you love about Pixar is here. The voices go well with the charecters. And the music is just beautyfull. It is nice to Hear Randy Simply put. Pixar at it's best. Seeing a pixar film once again directer by John Lasseter is a joy. And what better way to say good bye to an old Pixar friend(Joe Ranft) then this? He will be greatly missed. It has that Bug's Life feel to it. Everything you love about Pixar is here. The voices go well with the charecters. And the music is just beautyfull. It is nice to Hear Randy Newman's score once again grace a Pixar film. It is an Instant classic. Go see it. Expand
  30. EricY.
    Jun 11, 2006
    I took my girlfriend to see this movie at the Route 66 Drive-in in Carthage, Missouri. It was the first time that she had ever been to a drive-in movie and it was interesting that the movie was set on Route 66 while we were watching it on Route 66. We both thought that the movie was funny. I enjoy the computer animation and we both like it better than Finding Nemo.
  31. RogerT.
    Jun 10, 2006
    I was quite entertained. THere is a lot in thhis movie that bears a second viewing, especailly around the edges.
  32. MichelleC.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Loved it! This is undeniably the best animated movie since "The Incredibles." Pixar's animators do not fail you in a movie which could only be considered eye candy. NASCAR fans will love the authentic feel of race scenes. Stay through the credits, as some of the best scenes are found there.
  33. DerekB.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Certainly not the best Pixar film, but certainly enough to keep the company as kings of animation. Even when Pixar isn't quite on the ball they are a million times better than Shrek.
  34. PaulF.
    Jun 9, 2006
    If you are looking for flaws you will have a hard time finding them in this movie. Not only was it hilarious, but also moving with a good moral underlining. This is the hardest thing to do with animated movies but Cars accomplished this feat no problem. The characters were distinctively alive. In comparison to Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and The Incredibles, it was just as good if not better If you are looking for flaws you will have a hard time finding them in this movie. Not only was it hilarious, but also moving with a good moral underlining. This is the hardest thing to do with animated movies but Cars accomplished this feat no problem. The characters were distinctively alive. In comparison to Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and The Incredibles, it was just as good if not better because you really feel for the Characters. Expand
  35. WayzieW.
    Jun 9, 2006
    It's difficult to empathize with a cocky plastic red race car. The storyline is very predictible and while the twists and turns are scenic, the movie feels a bit like taking grandma for a drive -- you have to be sure to stay on the main roads so as not to jostle her. It ends up being a familiar trip and halfway through you'll wish you were on a roadtrip with a cooler and more It's difficult to empathize with a cocky plastic red race car. The storyline is very predictible and while the twists and turns are scenic, the movie feels a bit like taking grandma for a drive -- you have to be sure to stay on the main roads so as not to jostle her. It ends up being a familiar trip and halfway through you'll wish you were on a roadtrip with a cooler and more off-beat group of people. Expand
  36. AdrianoC.
    Jul 3, 2006
    It may be the worst Pixar film, but it's still dazzling - the landscapes are mesmerizing - and it has a wonderful climax at the final race. The result is a movie at least pretty entertaining. And that's fine by me.
  37. KurtC.
    Jul 3, 2006
    If you like Pixar, you will not be disappointed. Cars has a great, thoughtful storyline, a ton of humor, amazing visuals, and superb voice-overs. If not for some of the overly cheezy music selections, this movie would be a 10. Cars comes highly recommended.
  38. Nicholasd
    Aug 5, 2006
    Cars is a great movie it had gerat animation great comedy and is it is a nascar type movie and if your a nascar fan your iike it.
  39. MattS.
    Apr 7, 2007
    I was very sad after this movie ended, not because of the movie's plot, but rather the fact that this movie represents the first movie Pixar has made that has been truly average. Up to this point, PIxar's movies have been comedic adventures, keeping the film rolling from place to place and never trapping us in one local. Cars is entirely different - the first fifteen minutes I was very sad after this movie ended, not because of the movie's plot, but rather the fact that this movie represents the first movie Pixar has made that has been truly average. Up to this point, PIxar's movies have been comedic adventures, keeping the film rolling from place to place and never trapping us in one local. Cars is entirely different - the first fifteen minutes promise a cross-country romp, but instead we soon find our favorite red racecar trapped in a small desert town. He tries to escape, again and again, and who can blame him? As is usually the case with small towns, it is incredibly boring - but as if also often the case with small towns, it is a great place to moralize. As a result, Cars quickly runs out of gas, and becomes a good-looking but so-so entry into a field of computer animated films that is already becoming oversaturated. Expand
  40. JackB.
    Aug 23, 2007
    A good movie with great animation, but a little boring in some parts.
  41. NicholasD
    Jul 15, 2009
    Great.
  42. SammathS.
    Nov 21, 2006
    I think this a very funny,very brilliant movie.
  43. billyb.
    Dec 6, 2006
    I feel that pixar is just trying to make movie after movie that has no originality from the last boring, petty joke film that they have made. And this film is a good example of that. come one pixar!
  44. ZackS
    Oct 27, 2006
    I thought this movie was good... But not the best. I would not recommend anyone to buy this for a gift. Even though I am an adult I do not want my kids to really watch this movie. Also, that
  45. KyleM.
    Jun 11, 2006
    A good movie; see it with the kids or if you're a motorhead: you'll appreciate some of the throwaway jokes. Heh heh... let's just hope it gets some of the kiddies into musclecars.
  46. RonS.
    Jun 10, 2006
    Good graphics as expected from Pixar but no plot and quite boring story line.
  47. GrantS.
    Jun 10, 2006
    Pixar's first real lemon. Undeniably astounding visuals, but a very tired and ultimately unentertaining ride. Please let this not be a harbinger of things to come under new ownership.
  48. AlexB.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Anyone who doesn't see the immense charm and humor in Cars is just trying to find a way to criticize Pixar. I readily admit that the plot is one you've seen a million times before, but that doesn't mean that Lasseter and company haven't told the same story amazingly well, with fresh nuances. I, for one, had a smile on my face throughout the entire film, and put it on Anyone who doesn't see the immense charm and humor in Cars is just trying to find a way to criticize Pixar. I readily admit that the plot is one you've seen a million times before, but that doesn't mean that Lasseter and company haven't told the same story amazingly well, with fresh nuances. I, for one, had a smile on my face throughout the entire film, and put it on equal footing with every Pixar film ever made. Expand
  49. KristiM.
    Jun 10, 2006
    Don't overthink this one. CARS is a good way to see a movie with the kids and still be entertained. It was nice to hear people laugh at something less crass than jokes about bodily functions.
  50. DavidG.
    Jun 13, 2006
    A compelling story combined with the most georgeous CG renders in any Pixar movie to date (or any movie to date?) make Cars the perfect movie for the whole family. There is an ideal blend of humor, drama and passion throughout the movie. Certainly a lot of heart, as the arogant Lightning McQueen learns and evolves as a character. His transformation is well received It's not as A compelling story combined with the most georgeous CG renders in any Pixar movie to date (or any movie to date?) make Cars the perfect movie for the whole family. There is an ideal blend of humor, drama and passion throughout the movie. Certainly a lot of heart, as the arogant Lightning McQueen learns and evolves as a character. His transformation is well received It's not as young-feeling as Toy Story, mind you. There are some themes here that are paced slower and clearly geared (no pun intended) towards an older audience. No matter, the kids love it, too and typically warm up to the tow truck Mater and Italian sportscar fanatic Luigi. Don't miss the special scenes at the end of the movie during the credits. They're absolutely hillarious! Expand
  51. EricD.
    Jun 14, 2006
    Fabulous movie. I loved it. My wife loved it. My son loved it. How often do you get so much cross gender and cross age appeal? Pixar delivers again.
  52. PaulA.
    Jun 14, 2006
    Best movie of the year. Clever dialogue, excellent graphics. If you are looking for entertainment, look no further.
  53. Tosh
    Jun 15, 2006
    Ireally don't understand what's the big deal with this movie. yes, the graphics are really impressive, but other than that I don't see anything that stands out from the rest of the animated movies. The story line is absoultely predictable which is the biggest 'minus' for the movie. Over The Hedge was much more fun... at least for me.
  54. DavidM.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Pixar has indeed done it again. "Cars" has more wit, charm, and most important of all, HEART, than all of the movies released this summer combined. To all those who say that the movie's central premise is formulaic and tired: I say it is something that is badly needed to be said, over and over, especially in our frentic society of fast food and celebrity/sports worship. It's Pixar has indeed done it again. "Cars" has more wit, charm, and most important of all, HEART, than all of the movies released this summer combined. To all those who say that the movie's central premise is formulaic and tired: I say it is something that is badly needed to be said, over and over, especially in our frentic society of fast food and celebrity/sports worship. It's quite ironic given that the only things that are "tired" and "formulaic" in Hollywood today are just about every other movie released recently that has been shamelessly sequeled or repackaged, soley to make a buck. Expand
  55. SteveS
    Jun 17, 2006
    This was a great movie during summer. I am 16 years old, and me and a group of friends went to see it, because franmkly, Nacho libre looked like garbage. There are a lot of good jokes (like the ones in Shrek, where teh 5 year olds don't get it, but everyone does), and the graphics are beautiful. THIS IS A KIDS MOVIE. Of course its predictable. It was still awesome though. Very nice. This was a great movie during summer. I am 16 years old, and me and a group of friends went to see it, because franmkly, Nacho libre looked like garbage. There are a lot of good jokes (like the ones in Shrek, where teh 5 year olds don't get it, but everyone does), and the graphics are beautiful. THIS IS A KIDS MOVIE. Of course its predictable. It was still awesome though. Very nice. Not as good as Toy Story, but this is definitely the second best Pixar movie out there. Better than Nemo and Monsters Inc. Expand
  56. EricK.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Ah, Pixar, you have done it again. Though the story is indeed predictable, who cares? Pixar makes the whole trip fun. The characters are incredably lovable, and the jokes are witty and executed perfectly.
  57. CaptainS.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Saw it this weekend w/family. Everyone liked the movie, but either put it near "Bug's Life" status or below it. Yikes! Not good reviews IMHO. My 3 year old loved it of course, but the older kids and aduls were a little disappointed. Larry The Cable Guy pretty much salvages this one. My question? Where were all the other actors? Granted Newman does try and make it work, but nothing Saw it this weekend w/family. Everyone liked the movie, but either put it near "Bug's Life" status or below it. Yikes! Not good reviews IMHO. My 3 year old loved it of course, but the older kids and aduls were a little disappointed. Larry The Cable Guy pretty much salvages this one. My question? Where were all the other actors? Granted Newman does try and make it work, but nothing funny at all for Marin, Hunt, or Carlin? For the love of Peter...CARLIN?! Just disappointed. Expand
  58. DanaM.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Well worth the 9.50. I spent to spent to see the movie. After all, isn't that what it's all about? Animation was spectacular. Go see it and leave your cynical side home.
  59. Andrew
    Jun 20, 2006
    On the bright side of boring. Hardly stunning, but thankfully the tickets did not cost us anything.
  60. KimC.
    Jun 23, 2006
    A little long for kids, but visually stunning and a fun movie overall.
  61. Mase
    Jun 25, 2006
    Sorely missing one thing all pixar movies have had up untill this point. A sense of andventure, a sense of fantasy in a human world. Really this is just a plain old fish out of water story with surprisingly underdeveloped stereotyped supporting characters which is normally a strength for pixar pictures. The suporting characters. But oh well it wasn't that bad really, just not up to Sorely missing one thing all pixar movies have had up untill this point. A sense of andventure, a sense of fantasy in a human world. Really this is just a plain old fish out of water story with surprisingly underdeveloped stereotyped supporting characters which is normally a strength for pixar pictures. The suporting characters. But oh well it wasn't that bad really, just not up to the very high expectations. Expand
  62. KenG.
    Jun 26, 2006
    Harmless but hardly ihspired. It was very wholesome (almost painfully so) and at times a certain warmth threatens to break through, but filmmalkers felt no inclination to develop this. Movie is also sappy, and completely unorginal. Still, preteens will likly be more enchanted then adults. The kids might no even notice how much this movie rips-off Michael J. Fox's "Doc Hollywood". Harmless but hardly ihspired. It was very wholesome (almost painfully so) and at times a certain warmth threatens to break through, but filmmalkers felt no inclination to develop this. Movie is also sappy, and completely unorginal. Still, preteens will likly be more enchanted then adults. The kids might no even notice how much this movie rips-off Michael J. Fox's "Doc Hollywood". (Since "Cars" wants very much to send the right messages to kids, how's this for a message to the kiddies "thou shall not steal") Expand
  63. MikeS.
    Jun 28, 2006
    Good graphics, cute in some parts, but too long.
  64. MichaelW.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Visually stunning, exciting, and beautiful. I thought the story was nice, if not familiar. I read somewhere, "Another jewel in Pixar's crown" and I'd have to agree.
  65. StelP.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Great storyline and animation, with character voices that fit quite well, and an above average soundtrack with good tunes from Sheryl Crow (an original song), John Mayer and Chuck Berry doing their own versions of Route 66, and Rascal Flatts with a fine cover of Tom Cochrane's Life Is A Highway. There were some country tunes tossed in there (hey, there's a lot of NASCAR feel to Great storyline and animation, with character voices that fit quite well, and an above average soundtrack with good tunes from Sheryl Crow (an original song), John Mayer and Chuck Berry doing their own versions of Route 66, and Rascal Flatts with a fine cover of Tom Cochrane's Life Is A Highway. There were some country tunes tossed in there (hey, there's a lot of NASCAR feel to the flick...what'd you expect!?). Somehow , I lived through those. Overall, it's not quite The Incredibles, Toy Story, or Finding Nemo, but it's really close. Pixar knows how to do family flicks right. And make sure you stay through ALL the credits!! Expand
  66. SangheeC.
    Jul 12, 2006
    I loved this movie. Despite the fact that Owen Wilson was in it, the movie was sweet and comedic...and entertaining. The voices were amazing, and so were the graphics. Entertaining for all ages, and a great movie. Amazingly, it wasn't all about cars rushing around a track, that was very little of the movie. It was well done, and fun to watch.
  67. LeonaK.
    Jul 21, 2006
    this is the best movie i have ever seen.
  68. RyanP.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The only movie this season I have seen twice.
  69. YonZ
    Good movie,well done.
  70. BertE.
    Jul 7, 2006
    A terrific combination of extraordinary pixar animation and amercana nostalgia packaged in a movie for kids that adults can fully enjoy, with a first rate soundtrack.
  71. AkivaH.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Clever, creative, and hilariously funny - a great flick for all ages.
  72. JeffM.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I'm not interested in cars or racing in the least, however the visual splendor of the opening race is really something to behold. It's almost disapointing then that most of the movie plays out away from the track. But then the meandering plot (slowly) sneaks up on you with a touching commentary on dying towns. 20 minutes could have easily been trimmed, but my 5 year old daughter I'm not interested in cars or racing in the least, however the visual splendor of the opening race is really something to behold. It's almost disapointing then that most of the movie plays out away from the track. But then the meandering plot (slowly) sneaks up on you with a touching commentary on dying towns. 20 minutes could have easily been trimmed, but my 5 year old daughter stayed with it until the end. It's no "Incredibles" or "Toy Story", but it does keep the Pixar winning streak alive. Expand
  73. DrewF.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Really had no inclination to go see this movie, which makes me all the more surprised by just how much i enjoyed it. If you are a Pixar fan, or a fan of automotive racing in general (mainly NASCAR, but there is a little bit in there for F1 and open-wheel racing fans, too), you'll more then likely find some entertainment here. Up there among Pixar's best. It's no Really had no inclination to go see this movie, which makes me all the more surprised by just how much i enjoyed it. If you are a Pixar fan, or a fan of automotive racing in general (mainly NASCAR, but there is a little bit in there for F1 and open-wheel racing fans, too), you'll more then likely find some entertainment here. Up there among Pixar's best. It's no "Incredibles", but i doubt that there ever WILL be anything that can top that. Expand
  74. Darkever
    Aug 19, 2006
    The idea behind the movie is good, Pixar is Pixar, but this time the result is not INCREDIBLE. The plot is nothing special and the character types are very common: the bully car that finds out what is really important in life, the crazy truck, the sexy Porche Carrera; still, they are VERY well made and the human behavior in a car body is pretty fun to watch. The weak point of the movie The idea behind the movie is good, Pixar is Pixar, but this time the result is not INCREDIBLE. The plot is nothing special and the character types are very common: the bully car that finds out what is really important in life, the crazy truck, the sexy Porche Carrera; still, they are VERY well made and the human behavior in a car body is pretty fun to watch. The weak point of the movie are the race parts: Pixar failed to catch the emotions of a race, and McQueen is so superior to the other cars that there is absolutely no real competition. Fun to watch, but Pixar did better. Expand
  75. ShaneS.
    Sep 18, 2006
    The best animated movie of the year!
  76. AdamS
    Nov 11, 2006
    Great animation and a good story.
  77. JPP.
    Nov 6, 2006
    What do Richard Petty, Owen Wilson, & Paul Newman have in common? They're all in Walt Disney and Pixar's latest film 'Cars'. The story revolves around a rookie race car learning that life isn't about where you're going, but how you get there. Now I'll admit, last fall when I first heard about this movie I completely wrote it off as being utterly What do Richard Petty, Owen Wilson, & Paul Newman have in common? They're all in Walt Disney and Pixar's latest film 'Cars'. The story revolves around a rookie race car learning that life isn't about where you're going, but how you get there. Now I'll admit, last fall when I first heard about this movie I completely wrote it off as being utterly preposterous. Why? Simply because the idea of talking cars didn't seem entertaining in the least. It actually wasn't until the day before it's release I said, wow, I think Disney's got something here. (Which only proved to be true after seeing it the next day.) John Lassester, the man who took us into the world of toys in 'Toy Story' and on a search for a young clown fish in 'Finding Nemo' has done it once again. First off, there's Lightning McQueen's (Owen Wilson) funny and irresistibly lovable new best friend, Mater. (Larry the Cable Guy) He adds to 'Cars' what Scrat the squirrel does in the 'Ice Age' films. Now don't get me wrong, many of the other characters featured in the film are plenty likeable, but Mater is the glue that brings it all together. Also in 'Cars' the animation is superb. It doesn't have the same style or look the other Pixar films have. I don't really know how to describe it, but its certainly something. But, as almost all movies, 'Cars' does have a drawback. Its missing something. That special something only Disney and Pixar can add that made 'Toy Story' what it is, a great movie. I'm not sure why, but its just not there. I imagine in the end 'Cars' will just fall short of having the longevity and memorability films like 'Finding Nemo', 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Toy Story' will. Despite this, 'Cars' is still a winner and manages to be excellent. Not a classic, but excellent. I highly recommend seeing it at least once to give it a test drive. Expand
  78. KirkL.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Pixar has yet to let me down. They're just isn't anyone eles out there that can touch them. Although I think Monster House is going to give them a run for their money.
  79. KenC.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Good combination of action and humor, with a surprising and refreshing touch of nostalgia for the yesteryear of Middle America.
  80. MikeM.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Really a classic - very entertaining, as an adult was entertained by many of the jokes, as was my 13 year old son.
  81. MarkB.
    Jun 13, 2006
    Slick, shiny and snazzy though it might be, the newest product to slide off the Pixar assembly line just doesn't have as much under the hood as previous models--and certainly not as much as the manufacturer thinks it does. [***SPOILERS***] In fact, my use of the terms "product", "assembly line" and "manufacturer" to describe a Pixar movie serves as a diagnosis of what the problem is: Slick, shiny and snazzy though it might be, the newest product to slide off the Pixar assembly line just doesn't have as much under the hood as previous models--and certainly not as much as the manufacturer thinks it does. [***SPOILERS***] In fact, my use of the terms "product", "assembly line" and "manufacturer" to describe a Pixar movie serves as a diagnosis of what the problem is: what was once the pinnacle of true originality and perfection every time out has started ever so slightly to become formulaic. Technically, visually and vocally the all-car Cars is absolutely beyond question (and is STILL one of the two or three truly worthwhile mainstream summer movies currently out there), but the script, dealing with the Life Lessons learned by arrogant would-be champion race car Lightning McQueen as he's forced to stay in a small, one-horsepower town en route to The Big Race (and with seven writers credited!) is beginning to show signs of wear, beginning with the Big Theme, which compared to previous Pixar epics is pretty second-hand and shopworn. The studio's last effort, The Incredibles, dealt so perceptively with the challenge of exceptionally gifted individuals being forced to water down their special talents in order to blend in with the masses that it was frequently used as an example on op-ed pages, while Finding Nemo spoke powerfully to every parent in the audience about the difficulty of balancing allowing children a necessary amount of independence and self-reliance with the parents' natural fears of the possible worst-case results of doing so. In contrast, Theme #1 of Cars (success and fame don't mean much if you don't come by them ethically and/or have someone you love to share them with)--while definitely a worthy message for audiences of all ages--has been just as well or better communicated in literally thousands of previous movies ranging from A Star Is Born to The Bad News Bears to The Apartment. And Theme #2 (we all need families or a network of friends we can call a family) is identical to that of Cars' current competition, the animals-versus-suburbia comedy Over the Hedge. The script is admittedly clever and very fast-moving, perhaps too much so: I get the very distinct impression that the gagmen and co-director John Lasseter couldn't bring themselves to edit out a single joke. And that may very well point up what my major problem with Cars is: too much of it, from the standard-issue wistful Randy Newman ballad that pops up mid-picture to all the end-credits in-jokes about a certain vocal regular, comes off as a bit self-referential, self-satisfied, maybe even a trifle smug...not that far removed from Lightning McQueen himself. Again, Cars looks and sounds spectacular (and if they release an IMAX version of it, I'll be in line); my reservations about it are relatively minor compared to how much I really did enjoy it, and second-tier Pixar is still very much worth your time. It's just that when your favorite five-star restaurant serves you a four-star meal, your inevitable response will be disappointment, however mild. As always, the voice casting is spectacularly on the mark, with Owen Wilson believably cocky and self-centered but not so obnoxious as to ever seem unredeemable as Lightning, Paul Newman wonderfully craggy as Doc Hudson, a long-time Radiator Springs pillar with a few secrets of his own, and Bonnie Hunt lending her signature down-to-earth warmth as McQueen's potential spiritual teacher and love interest. And I never thought it would be possible to find myself uttering about any movie or in any context that Larry The Cable Guy is the most charming and totally lovable thing about it. But then, never count out the seemingly impossible: up until this weekend I also never thought I'd hear myself conceding first-time victory to DreamWorks over Pixar in the yearly Battle of the CGI Titans--but the funnier and less self-absorbed Over the Hedge wins...by a whisker. Expand
  82. MikeJ.
    Jun 15, 2006
    I thought this movie was excellent in both graphical presentation and story telling. I watched in a theatre filled with adults and kids and found myself laughing at the jokes for the kids as well as the ones aimed at the adults. Well done Disney/Pixar! Another fine piece of quality entertainment.
  83. EricyN.
    Jun 15, 2006
    It was a little bad, it was gross and alittle good I think it's going to the best movie in the whole wide universe and I thihnk I'll love it.
  84. mapa
    Jun 18, 2006
    This is not a tipical funny movie made by pixar. I was expecting more fun, but the movie is great, and it has its own way to call our attention about Rute 66. I recommended everyone to watch the movie, but do not expect to laugh for 116 min. There are funy parts, but it is another kind of movie. Also, my five years old baby wanted to go home while the movie was playing because she This is not a tipical funny movie made by pixar. I was expecting more fun, but the movie is great, and it has its own way to call our attention about Rute 66. I recommended everyone to watch the movie, but do not expect to laugh for 116 min. There are funy parts, but it is another kind of movie. Also, my five years old baby wanted to go home while the movie was playing because she didn't like the movie. We watched The incredibles in the theater (about 4 times) and she liked very much. Expand
  85. BillB.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Visual and audio effects are spectacular down to the last detail. Pay attention to the race scenes where bits of worn tire are thrown down the track as the cars pass - details like these are to be commended. Would get a 10 except that things seem to be a bit slow in the middle of the movie and there could have been more character building with the other characters living in the little Visual and audio effects are spectacular down to the last detail. Pay attention to the race scenes where bits of worn tire are thrown down the track as the cars pass - details like these are to be commended. Would get a 10 except that things seem to be a bit slow in the middle of the movie and there could have been more character building with the other characters living in the little town of Radiator Springs, but well worth the price of admission and definately worth renting/owning on DVD once it is released. Expand
  86. AnAnimator
    Jun 22, 2006
    Very disappointing for a Pixar film. The lighting and environments were the best they've done yet, and the animation was terrific as always, despite the absurdly limiting character design. But the story--usually Pixar's strong point--just didn't hold my interest. Hopefully this is just a glitch, and the next one will be better!
  87. ChadS.
    Jun 24, 2006
    Since "Cars" offers no reason as to why metal can talk, you can invent your own. Here's mine. The Pixar team imagined a sequel to the J.G. Ballard novel "Crash"(the Cronenberg adaptation about car wrecks and sex), in which the porn addicts find a way to impregnate an automobile. There's no hint of religion in "Cars", but there's a clue to be had in the pop culture Since "Cars" offers no reason as to why metal can talk, you can invent your own. Here's mine. The Pixar team imagined a sequel to the J.G. Ballard novel "Crash"(the Cronenberg adaptation about car wrecks and sex), in which the porn addicts find a way to impregnate an automobile. There's no hint of religion in "Cars", but there's a clue to be had in the pop culture reference(unusual for Pixar) that Filmore(George Carlin) offers. If this person(he makes metal) is God, "Cars" might be more subversive than you think because this puts the film in Aleister Crowley territory. As for the film text that is obvious, "Cars" is state-of-the-art in terms of getting the viewer involved with the story while displaying its computer wizardry. Radiator Springs is indeed, magical. Unfortunately, Ramone(Cheech Marin) is the new Jar-Jar Binks. Expand
  88. WalkenM.
    Jul 25, 2006
    For the first time in my life, I have to agree completely with the SF Chronicle's Mick LaSalle. A huge dissappointment following a string of gems from Pixar, but to be expected given the tremendously flawed concept. The film asks us to identify with the personalities of mechanical monstrosities; mistakes of nature with heart, but no real way of reaching out to eachother. How do cars For the first time in my life, I have to agree completely with the SF Chronicle's Mick LaSalle. A huge dissappointment following a string of gems from Pixar, but to be expected given the tremendously flawed concept. The film asks us to identify with the personalities of mechanical monstrosities; mistakes of nature with heart, but no real way of reaching out to eachother. How do cars have sex? That may seem like a ridiculous question, but the filmmakers spend so much time establishing the details of this world (and even a romance), that it's a question that begs to be asked. And I'm left cold by the lack of response. Unless the film is some sort of metaphor for how Americans have become increasingly socially isolated, I have to see it as a massive failure. Not to mention that it's socially irresponsible to release a movie glamorizing American car culture with this country and planet rapidly deteriorating due to our reliance on oil. And that's not a leftist rant, that's plain fact. Expand
  89. MarilynB
    Sep 24, 2006
    I go to movies like this to review them. The previews make it look so horrible and kiddie-like that adults and teens and t-weens didn't want to see it. Frankly, the previews showed the best parts. The movie was unfunny, un-witty
  90. Mike
    Dec 19, 2006
    I was very negative when I went to see this movie. I didnt like the whole idea, of cars talking... 5 mins into the movie. I was amazed with the animations, just amazing!! and then the movie started getting better and better. The story really built up and I was sucked into this world! What a great movie!
  91. Sep 3, 2010
    While the worst Pixar film, it' still a good film. Instead of being limited and boring( it could easily have been) it's a entertaining tale, but unlike somewhat finer works (Toy Story, Monsters Inc.) it fails to grasp attention all the way through the film and is a LOT cheesier than the other Pixar offerings, it's worth seeing, even if it's dwarfed in comparison to other Pixar films.
  92. Feb 8, 2011
    What's with all the hate. How is this supposed to be Pixar's worst movie? I think it was excellent and on par with many other Pixar movies. And let me just say that I think Larry the Cable Guy is awesome.
  93. Jul 5, 2011
    Disney/Pixar's Cars revolves around Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey, not the finish line, when he finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs. On route across the country to the big Piston Cup Championship in California to compete against two seasoned pros, McQueen gets to knowDisney/Pixar's Cars revolves around Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey, not the finish line, when he finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs. On route across the country to the big Piston Cup Championship in California to compete against two seasoned pros, McQueen gets to know the town's offbeat characters--including Sally, a snazzy 2002 Porsche, Doc Hudson, a 1951 Hudson Hornet with a mysterious past, and Mater, a rusty but trusty tow truck, who help him realize that friendship is more important than trophies, fame and sponsorship. Now for my opinion. The only problem that I had with this movie was the minute length. It took a little bit of long time for a kids movie and I just don't know why. Everything else turned out great in this movie. It has a fantastic voice cast, great animation, and a good moral lesson for kids young and old. 8/10 Expand
  94. Jun 6, 2016
    I've always felt that this movie was underappreciated relative to Pixar's other efforts; it is a quality film. The protagonist is a bit of a jerk, but the movie works with that, and Doc Hudson is a great character who gives the film its heart. Mater is not the best thing in the world, but the other characters come together to create a rather fun environment for a film. It wasn't their bestI've always felt that this movie was underappreciated relative to Pixar's other efforts; it is a quality film. The protagonist is a bit of a jerk, but the movie works with that, and Doc Hudson is a great character who gives the film its heart. Mater is not the best thing in the world, but the other characters come together to create a rather fun environment for a film. It wasn't their best piece, but it was a solid effort which was enjoyable to watch, and there are a number of great moments throughout the film and strong echoes that reinforce the themes of the piece. Expand
  95. Jan 9, 2011
    This movie was great from start to end.
  96. Jan 9, 2011
    The movie shows that life is not about fame and fortune, but about true happiness and friendship; not only living on the fast lane, but to slow down every once in a while. Furthermore, this is a beautiful film about the love for cars and the countryside.
  97. May 25, 2012
    Maybe not as good as the "Toy Story" series or not as good as "Ratatouille", but this is a very good film. The graphics are very good. The plot is just "so-so". The characters are great especially Lightning McQueen, who has great personality. Despite these positive features in the movie, the movie didn't meet with my expectations, especially the fact that this is a Pixar film...............
  98. Jul 5, 2011
    Cars is another great Pixar film. I don't know why critics are giving it such bad reviews. sure, it is't on par with the Toy Story series or Finding Nemo, but it is still a great movie.
  99. Jul 10, 2011
    Could be the best Pixar film?

Well in my eyes it is, im a child at heart and i love this film. I am looking forward to number 2 despite the mixed reviews it has had.
  100. Aug 12, 2011
    An underrated, character driven Pixar effort that has all the right aspects to stand up to the rest of their movies. It has a great retro and hometown theme with two very impressive race sequences, beautiful visuals and automobile characters as relatable and real as any live-action ones

1. By relying too much on snappy dialogue and by adhering to the philosophy that "steel should feel like steel and glass should feel like glass," the filmmakers have bridled their imaginations and created a movie about toys that are too blubbery and not rubbery enough.
  2. The Pixar people have an extreme talent for conjuring imagery that is both soaring in its majesty but also resonant -- it's a stylization but acute enough to carry emotional meaning.
  3. Wall Street Journal
    Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    It doesn't make Cars a bad picture -- the visual inventions are worth the price of admission -- but it constitutes conduct unbecoming to a maker of magic.