5.9

1. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie might gave been very low budget and might have not shown the action promised, but honestly all the low-budget quality made this film the FUNNIEST movie I have ever seen.
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    Overall a pretty dull movie, but still it has some charm. It makes fun of spaghetti westerns and national stereotypes, there are some funny jokes (not many though), Will Ferrell is good as always.
  3. Jan 31, 2013
    I loved this movie. Lots of throwbacks at how movies were made and the puppets used are plain ridiculous. The whole movie is kind of serious but couldn't stop laughing. Favorite comedy of 2012.
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    Pretty funny. Will Ferrell is okay but the movie was really funny because of Diego Luna and sexy because of Genesis Rodriguez! The plot was not the best it could have been but hey it's a comedy.
  5. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie isn't for everyone but I actually enjoyed it. The low budget is pathetic but still hilarious how much they purposefully make fun of it. They mock traditional Spanish westerns and the like throughout the film. Will Ferrell is genius. Genesis Rodriguez is breathtaking. Overall, it's just a really funny and silly movie that doesn't take itself seriously. I can't give it a higher rating because it's not that kind of movie. That being said, it's still a movie that certain people will really enjoy, myself being one of them. Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2012
    This film shouldn't be taken too serious I very much enjoyed the scenes and all the funny errors that we're in there. it's nice to see a movie again that doesn't take things too serious. I think Will ferrel did a very good job here. I wish there were more films like this out there instead of the typical blockbuster movies we have nowadays.
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was thrilled and wanted to see it. After the first 15-20 minutes I already was quite disappointed. I think it had potential to be much more. They dumbed it down way too much for my taste, but I guess you could give it a go if you really have nothing better to watch. Most unfortunate!
  8. Aug 17, 2012
    This is the best way i can put this. If you've seen "Black Dynamite" and liked it, you'll probably love this. here's the caveat. "Black Dynamite" is a movie about blaxploitation films that were churned out to cash in on the success of "Shaft." Few of them really tried to be good. This is a love letter to the tellanovella, in the form of an early 80's western. I have a feeling that some of the people making tellanovellas actually believe that they're doing something with quality and weight. This movie takes itself seriously, which makes it more absurd, but in a quieter way. It really helps to have had spanish in high school, because you will read the subtitles much faster, since your brain already has some idea what's being said whether you know it or not. This allows you to notice more of the subtleties. There are so many consistency errors. I'm not talking about the plentiful "now he has a cig, now he doesn't, now he does" moments. I'm talking about extras being filled out with mannequins, or a wedding massacre victim casually smoking away because he doesn't know he's on camera. At the same time, there isn't one single technology or fashion anachronism ever. Comedy is like horror. What one person finds effective, another thinks is terrible. I thought this movie was hilarious, but I understand that few will agree. Hope this lets you know if you're one of the few that does. Expand
  9. Aug 14, 2012
    I can't believe how fussy the critics and viewers are about a film that is made to be a silly spoof in the first place. Lighten UP! and you will find a lot to enjoy here. The actors stay deep in character at all times, the story and scenes move along without stalling, and there are a lot if visual pleasures here. The purposely bad sets and effects not only spoof old Mexican films and telenovelas, but are refreshingly artistic in an era when even crappy American movies and TV shows have way too much budget dedicated to 'professional' production values that end up just looking boring by comparison. The art direction is really quite good. The title sequence alone is a beautiful tribute to 70's art. And if you understand Spanish and Mexican efforts at understanding English, the crazy subtitles are hilarious! My only complaints are a slightly long ending that sort of goes all over the place, and the film is a bit too violent in several places (for a comedy). Collapse
  10. Aug 10, 2012
    A film that pokes fun at the "B level" spaghetti westerns of yesteryear. While I laughed, this can really only be enjoyed by film buffs or individuals who've had a few too many, so mass appeal is quite limiting.
  11. Apr 15, 2012
    This film has a lot of Tim and Eric style humor, as does a lot of Will Ferrell projects these days. I did laugh a good deal while watching this film, however the pacing was kind of off. Like a super ridiculous scene followed by a "heartfelt" one. It just felt kind of inconsistent. I think that's part of the problem of relying too much on surrealist humor, it can get old fast and too much of it makes the story incoherent, so it was applied in small doses. All that aside, Will Ferrell does an excellent in an all Spanish-speaking role. Fans of Will Ferrell's more recent works will probably enjoy this. Expand
  12. Mar 26, 2012
    Will Farrell heads the mostly-Hispanic cast as the black-sheep son of a Mexican rancher, who gets involved with drug dealers and romance. This mild comedy spoofs cheesy '70s films and telenovelas, some of which is genuinely amusing. On the other hand, it helps to have an appreciation of the genres being parodied to appreciate all of the gags. Farrell plays sweet and dumb really well, but the jokes are often quietly witty, instead of laugh-out-loud funny. It's a cute curiosity that's entirely in Spanish with subtitles. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for an absurd cameo. Expand
  13. Mar 24, 2012
    In a word, "perfecto". It is what it is. Pulls no punches, and, you know, in the world of Tarantino does homage or spoof or exact copy replicas of the films he saw as a kid, this does one better. Funny, Violent, and muy corazon!
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    It is a hard to swallow movie, but; if you do have an open mind, I believe, like me, you will love this pelicula (movie in Spanish) I appreciate the risk taken by Will Ferrel and this production. They were brave and as honest as they could get. Casa de mi Padre is a comedy, but also a Satire; keep this in mind and enjoy...
  15. Mar 17, 2012
    Casa de mi Padre is a loving parody of Mexican "B" movies, and all the movie-making goofs that that entails. There's fake-looking, obvious sets. Horse riding scenes are done with mock-ups, not real animals. Blown takes are kept in. And it's all done on purpose. In one scene, an extra smokes a cigarette--unaware that the camera is rolling and his character should be lying in a sprawl dead. Casa de mi Padre bends over backwards trying to be a bad film, and does it tremendously well. Troll 2 was bad, consciously bad, enjoyably bad--but still bad. But Casa de me Padre stumbles, tumbles, and bumbles so well, it's actually good. It's mistakes are worse, deliberate, avoidable, and far more consistent. It made me laugh so much, tears were streaming down my eyes--it's that funny. If you've never seen a subtitled movie, I can't think of a better place to start. Full review on my blog. Expand
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    As one can expect, the offensively condensed and rudimentary Spanish-lingo, ethnic digs, spaghetti-Western gags, and inflated run-time all run stale...very quickly. Being a slightly more original "MacGruber," yet equally moronic, not to mention subtitled, "Casa de mi Padre" is a full-length (84 minute) feature, diced into 5-minute 'SNL' skits, that when split accordingly, will make for great Youtube popularity. Ultimately, Ferrell's inundated, comedic dexterity, even his hailingly hilarious, puerile ignoramus self can bail out this feebly built spoof. This is the kind of flick where the foreground action becomes so untolerable, so uninterestingly involving, that the incidental details become the focus. So much, watching the various cigarettes being rolled up activated more cerebral cognition. As for Ferrell taking the time to "learn" Spanish for the film, at least he can now communicate with the native Mexican youth; that's about it. Expand
  17. Mar 16, 2012
    Again? We need watching a film of the patetic Will Ferrell? I hate all his films, and Casa de mi Padre is the worst, what is te reason? the comedy is terrible in this movie, the performance of Ferrell is horrible, with same faces, and the worst is the form to represent the mexican people, this film os the worst of the year.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jun 2, 2012
    Grindhouse with giggles, this potboiler parody offers just enough to avoid being a curio – not least Ferrell at his straight-faced best. Arriba!
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The film feels ultimately hollow, perhaps because mocking soap operas is the comic's equivalent of shooting fish tacos in a barrel. In fact, the concept for Casa de mi Padre seems born out of one too many tequila-infused evenings in the Funny or Die writers' room.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Mar 18, 2012
    It's deeply committed to its own weird conceit, diminishing returns and all.