Pantelion Films | Release Date: March 16, 2012
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 40 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
TVJerryMar 26, 2012
Will Farrell heads the mostly-Hispanic cast as the black-sheep son of a Mexican rancher, who gets involved with drug dealers and romance. This mild comedy spoofs cheesy '70s films and telenovelas, some of which is genuinely amusing. On theWill Farrell heads the mostly-Hispanic cast as the black-sheep son of a Mexican rancher, who gets involved with drug dealers and romance. This mild comedy spoofs cheesy '70s films and telenovelas, some of which is genuinely amusing. On the other hand, it helps to have an appreciation of the genres being parodied to appreciate all of the gags. Farrell plays sweet and dumb really well, but the jokes are often quietly witty, instead of laugh-out-loud funny. It's a cute curiosity that's entirely in Spanish with subtitles. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for an absurd cameo. Expand
TheQuietGamerFeb 6, 2015
A parody of cheaply made spanish, grindhouse westerns and cheesy soap operas. Most of the humor comes from how well it is mimicking the bad elements of it's inspiration. The poorly made shots, low budget special effects, and overly dramaticA parody of cheaply made spanish, grindhouse westerns and cheesy soap operas. Most of the humor comes from how well it is mimicking the bad elements of it's inspiration. The poorly made shots, low budget special effects, and overly dramatic elements of the story are portrayed with mostly a straight face. The humor here is very meta.

Lots of comedy films have succeeded with meta humor, but most often it is because they have their own out there gags to go along with the more subtle ones brought on by the theme. Outside of a few moments near the end these types of jokes are largely absent. It means that if you aren't in on the joke then you just aren't in on the joke.

However even if you are in on the joke it doesn't mean that you'll find it all that funny. It can be an often witty film, but not a particularly laugh worthy one. With everyone trying to keep the real jokes to a bare minimum this can come of as more homage than parody. Rather than making fun of these types of crappy movies, it can end up being one.

As a unique curiosity it succeeds. As a comedy not so much. It's an interesting take on meta-comedy and a lesson on the dangers of taking it too far. If you have a particular knowledge of the the films and television being made fun of here then this may be one worth checking out. Others in the mood for more straight forward humor may want to look elsewhere.
MantisAug 19, 2012
When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was thrilled and wanted to see it. After the first 15-20 minutes I already was quite disappointed. I think it had potential to be much more. They dumbed it down way too much for my taste, but IWhen I saw the trailer for the first time, I was thrilled and wanted to see it. After the first 15-20 minutes I already was quite disappointed. I think it had potential to be much more. They dumbed it down way too much for my taste, but I guess you could give it a go if you really have nothing better to watch. Most unfortunate! Expand
Bruce722Nov 29, 2012
This movie isn't for everyone but I actually enjoyed it. The low budget is pathetic but still hilarious how much they purposefully make fun of it. They mock traditional Spanish westerns and the like throughout the film. Will Ferrell isThis movie isn't for everyone but I actually enjoyed it. The low budget is pathetic but still hilarious how much they purposefully make fun of it. They mock traditional Spanish westerns and the like throughout the film. Will Ferrell is genius. Genesis Rodriguez is breathtaking. Overall, it's just a really funny and silly movie that doesn't take itself seriously. I can't give it a higher rating because it's not that kind of movie. That being said, it's still a movie that certain people will really enjoy, myself being one of them. Collapse
JTKelleyAug 10, 2012
A film that pokes fun at the "B level" spaghetti westerns of yesteryear. While I laughed, this can really only be enjoyed by film buffs or individuals who've had a few too many, so mass appeal is quite limiting.
StaticSpineAug 22, 2013
Overall a pretty dull movie, but still it has some charm. It makes fun of spaghetti westerns and national stereotypes, there are some funny jokes (not many though), Will Ferrell is good as always.