8.0

1. Jun 1, 2011
    Easily one of the best, is not the best, Bond films since the days of Connery. The dark and gritty tones are a welcome change of pace, and the story still manages to infuse humor in the right places, and in my opinion also in the right quantity. Easy 10.
  2. Nov 2, 2012
    Simply the best Bond of all times. Also if Daniel Craig isn't the best actor I could imagine for this role, this is subordinate because of the great supporting actors. Eva Green is fetchingly good and Mads Mikkelsen as the antagonist is also very well played. The whole film consists of so much rememberable action scenes, every single one is just awesome! The long break between this and the last Bond was essential, with the new techniques there are better visual and audio effects, that improve the whole movie quite much. 'Casino Royale' is a legendary story, the ending is absolutely great and I also enjoyed the poker game. It's a little step away from being a perfect action movie, but is surely one of the best I've seen in years and everything just works in this film. Simply awesome! Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Casino Royale is by far the best of the newest Bonds, with an exciting premise, masterful execution, and an overall Bond feel to it that is mesmerizingly good.
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    Casino Royale rejuvenates the Bond franchise with a beautifully crafted film complete with wit, emotion, plot and of course, enthralling action sequences.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    Perhaps the best Bond film ever, and one of the best action films I've ever seen. It's grittier and more violent than the previous films, but it is purely entertaining.
  6. May 22, 2014
    OK Better than Sky fall. You can see this movie. this is one of my first movies with torture. First bond movie with a longest poker game in the movie.
  7. Aug 18, 2010
    Craig's finest effort and a marvel to behold. Casino Royale hits all the notes correctly and by end most will agree it's the best Bond film since Goldeneye.
  8. Sep 15, 2010
    i really enjoyed this bond film i wasn't sure about Daniel Craig as bond at first but he actually performed very well in this film. the plot of the film was also well written better then a lot of other bond films
  9. Oct 7, 2012
    There is quite a lot of action before things focus on the Casino; all of this is well done and features much of the stunt work in the film. I have to say it does appear to get a little lost once the main focus of the film is established. Once we do get there the scenes in and around the Casino are quite compelling and it is here that we actually get a feeling for how Daniel Craig portrays Bond. He has vulnerabilities that make him appear more human and this in turn gives the audience a chance to understand his motivations. I must admit I really enjoyed Craig Expand
  10. Oct 4, 2010
    Wow! I loved the Sean Connery movies and since then they seem to have deteriorated. This film is definite proof that the Bond series is not lost. A different type of Bond, played by Daniel Craig, was what the franchise needed and the storyline was intriguing throughout the film. Even the one-liners and old Bond jokes which made the original films to entertaining and memorable are present in this film, much to my delight. You can't miss this film if you're a James Bond fan, and even if you're not, you'll still love it anyway. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2010
    This is the best Bond movie. Bond is thoroughly human: He's hit, he recoils. He cuts, he bleeds. The series had gone to absurd levels of incredulity through the Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan years. This movie brought the films back to a human scale, and it's all the more powerful. Daniel Craig dominates the movie as Bond.
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    Daniel Craig is a great addition to the many actors that played Bond before him and he was wonderful in this film. It can get a little dull but overall the action sequences and the film as a whole was well worth watching and one of the best in the Bond series.
  13. Oct 26, 2012
    Casino Royale is one of the best 007 movies. Daniel Craig makes for an excellent Bond, lending both raw emotion and ice-cold psychopathic detachment all in one go. That's quite a feat! The blistering action, stunning locations and gorgeous woman don't hurt the experience either.
  14. Nov 16, 2012
    After reviewing Skyfall, I thought that I ought to give Casino Royale the 10 it so royally deserves in my opinion. Dench and Craig are my all-time favorite actors and are cast perfectly, the story is deep with a gut-wrenching twist. This is hands down the best Bond movie I've ever seen. And now I am going to go see it again ;)
  15. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The twenty-first James Bond film, second directed by Martin Campbell (GoldenEye), and the first to star Daniel Craig as 007.
    After the way-over-the-top CGI heavy â
  16. Oct 24, 2011
    Director Martin Campbell revitalizes the Bond series with this action-packed prequel. After the cinematic disaster that was "Die Another Day", long-time fans of the famous double-O agent are rewarded for their faithfulness. Daniel Craig validates his selection as the next actor to portray Bond by delivering a fantastic performance and subsequently propels himself to the top of the "Best Bond" list. Craig's Bond is younger, stronger, and colder than ever. But the women are just as beautiful, the villains just as cruel, and the cities just as grand. Although the plot features a high-stakes poker game, this movie is no gamble. See it, buy it, watch. Over and over. Expand
  17. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Casino Royale was an excellent film in almost every aspect. Daniel Craig makes a new Bond, darker and gritter than his predecessors, and undeniably the best since the original. The plot is suspenseful and detailed, though near the end it loses some steam. Still, the ending makes Royale the beginning of (hopefully) something great, and not just a standalone thriller.
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    Before seeing this movie, I hadn't seen any other Bond films before, but I knew of the conventions all too well. This new spin on Bond gives us a flawed character that can fail who the audience can root for, which is a refreshing change. The plot is engaging even when there's no action. I didn't know poker scenes could be so suspenseful, and I can't tell one poker tile from the other! The dialogue is sharp and witty, and there are several quotable and memorable lines in this movie. Daniel Craig may not be the smoothest Bond, but he's perfect for this new take on the character. Eva Green makes an excellent Bond girl, and she has great chemistry with Craig. The only problem with the film is the underwritten villain. He's funding terrorism, but what are the terrorist's goals? He lacked a greater objective. Casino Royale had me completely sold to James Bond and left me wanting more. Expand
  19. Sep 28, 2011
    This film is fantastic! Especially the chase at the beginning. Loved every second of it. They've got the right balance between action and developing the story. It's not boring to watch, but isn't guns going off all the way. Nicely done.
  20. Feb 18, 2013
    I bet the big wigs at MGM are laughing and making crude gestures to all the doubters who petitioned to have Daniel Craig removed as the new Bond, and they should be, because there was no mistake, and what has been crafted one of the most flawless films in the past decade. This is not the Bond everybody knows, gone are the gadgets of Brosnan or the suave of Connery,not only does Casino Royale basically cancel out the rest, as Bond has yet to receive his '00' status, but it creates a whole new type of character that we have not yet seen. The opening black and white scene paints a very different agent to what we are accustomed to..fist fighting with a man in a toilet, beating each other senseless and slamming each other into sinks until Bond eventually drowns his victim, this is a new, dark and gritty direction that is brilliant in every way.
    Judi Dench returns as a more centered and grounded M, who tasks Bond with infiltrating the terrorist operation of Le Chiffre (Mals Mikkelsen) who employs a bomb maker that Bond chases in a breathtaking parkour scene through a construction site.
    After Bond foils Le Chiffre's terrorist attempt in a Miami airport, he is entered into a poker game involving Le Chiffre to attempt to bankrupt him to the end of MI6 using him to bring down a terrorist organisation.
    With Eva Green taking the female lead as Vesper Lynd, this is a Bond film that is very much human, with touches of realism that paint a very different picture, he bleeds, he is reckless, and doesn't seem to give a damn about anything, and the writing team have taken on this leap to show Bonds complete disregard for what we are use to like the utter destruction of a brand new Aston Martin, ("Shaken or Stirred?" "Do I look like I give a damn?")
    Daniel Craig portrays a man who has the skill set and aura of Jason Bourne, but with a vulnerable state of insecurity and isolation.There is enough action to rival the biggest of blockbusters, with carefully choreographed scenes and brilliant set pieces including an airport chase along the runway, it can't be stressed enough that Craig is portraying a very serious and realistic 'operative', and not a 'secret agent'.
    Not only is this the best Bond movie in its long history, but also one of the best films to appear this decade.
  21. Dec 14, 2011
    Welcome back James! This is a movie I NEVER expected to see as a lifelong fan of 007. That is, a movie that is just as good as the classic Connery era films. And coming after the atrocious and embarrassing Die Another Day it came as even more of a pleasant surprise. Daniel Craig is an exceptional James Bond, part swaggering Connery, part intense Dalton. The action is exciting and thrilling, without any of the naff CGI used in the previous couple of films, and the story is one of very vintage Bond intrigue. The best Bond film in 30 years. Expand
  22. Jan 3, 2012
    The Best Bond film ever,yes... the pacing is a little off in the second act and while the film is mostly superbly written, the romantic dialogue comes off as underwritten and tonally separate from the rest of the writing. Still, the first action set piece is one of the best ever and the action sequences are smartly edited with a clear cohesiveness that is hard to find in modern actin films (See the sequel for an example) Expand
  23. Jan 23, 2013
    The best Bond movie in the franchise, in my opinion. Casino Royale is filled with great action, great characters, and a great story line. It also features on of the best Bond girls, as she is actually given a character instead of just being there for her looks.
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    Craig nails Bond. He has the intensity of Connery, but a small vulnerability can be sensed as well, a vulnerability that wasn't sensed when Connery was on screen. Craig may be the best Bond yet.
  25. Dec 27, 2012
    Craig's introduction the the Bond role is filled with action, suspense, and a dark new take on James Bond himself. Easily the closest movie adaptation of Bond to Ian Fleming's novels, it shows that Bond can be edgy and dark, even gritty and outright cringe-worthy at times. To put it into perspective, Daniel Craig is the ANTI Roger Moore. He's dark, serious, emotionless, and brutal. Just like Ian Fleming's original adaptation. So if you prefer a lighter bond, he may not be for you. But if you love Fleming's Bond, you'll probably adore Craig. Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2012
    Maybe it's a little bit slow, but it's complex and "no-cliché" plot, with a spectacular acting from Daniel Craig makes Casino Royale the best James Bond film ever made.
  27. Nov 22, 2012
    A completely new take on the Bond franchise, Casino Royale reminds more of Bourne and Taken than the agent presented in the previous titles in the series. I really feel that this is a more convincing Bond and was a good thing to do as the ones before it have become way too cheesy and ridiculous (this is the first Bond I really enjoyed since Goldeneye). It is surprisingly violent, which I do not fully appreciate, but the story is interesting and the action breath-taking. The question remains whether this is still James Bond or if the producers would have been better of naming it differently as it is a clear break with the established concept in fundamental ways. If you do not take the "Bond" aspect too seriously and grant the film the chance to do something new, this is a truly excellent film. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    "Casino Royale" is the story of, MI6 agent, James Bond's (Daniel Craig) first mission. Fresh off of receiving the coveted "007" status, Bond begins the long and elaborate task of bankrupting the world's top terrorist financier, Le Chiffre (Mikkelson). Now, I am, proudly, a James Bond fan myself and when I had heard that they were going to reboot the franchise ala "Batman Begins"; I was elated. Because honestly the last few Bond films have been something off a showcase of silliness. After watching "Casino Royale" I can safely say that this film effectively restores the Bond film series, as well as the James Bond name, to everything that author Ian Fleming had originally intended. This film features one of the most dynamic portrayals of the character I've ever seen on film. Sure, everything from the previous films is there (the charm, wit, etc.), but Actor Daniel Craig brings some aspects to the character I've never seen before. He does a really profound job at accentuating just how much of a cold bastard 007 really is. Though he also does a good job at depicting the more loving side of Bond -like I said. . .dynamic. With all these different shades of Bond in tow, Craig creates, quite possibly, my favorite representation of the character. Eva Green does a fine job in her role as the beguiling treasury agent, Vesper Lynd. Green and Craig construct a deep kind of chemistry that I have yet to see any other Bond and "Bond-girl" develop on film. Also, cheers to Mads Mikkelson for playing one of the creepiest Bond-villains I've ever seen. In terms of technicalities, The camerawork is very clean, and editing is logical and accurate. The soundtrack utilizes the classic Bond Theme, but it also employs some extra nuances that I found to be quite suitable for the overall tone of the film. The screenplay is very well written, giving Bond some of the funniest lines I've ever heard his character say. The action is there too, as this movie features some of the coolest and most intimidating set pieces I've seen on film. I mean like some real "Uncharted-esque" stuff happens in this movie- pretty awesome. Anyways, I sincerely enjoyed "Casino Royale", for it re-establishes the James Bond franchise in a place that I feel is very fresh and provocative. Expand
  29. Mar 22, 2013
    Certainly the best Bond movie I've seen. Craig's portrayal of 007 is refreshing. The action and suspense was plenty, and so was engaging dialogue. The sequence at the casino was riveting. The acting all around was quite good. I had a great time all the way. Bond came across as very human, and I found myself caring about his fate for the first time. He was upfront, brutal and effective as a true agent would be, not a pretentious snob like he was displayed to be by Brosnan. The balance between action, dialogue, plot and romance was well maintained. Expand
  30. Dec 5, 2012
    Probably my favorite Bond movie ever. Amazing action sequences, great storyline, and even a good plot twist help make this film incredibly enjoyable.
  31. Jun 2, 2013
    One of the most surprising and satisfying films I've ever seen. Not only is this a great Bond movie, it may very well be the best Bond movie. Brilliant.
  32. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the best bond film i've seen so far. Well acting by Mad Mikkelsen and Daniël Craig.Everything is good on this movie. This is an awesome Bond movie
  33. May 19, 2013
    Casino Royale is the best bond film since Goldfinger and Daniel Craig is the best bond since Sean Connery. The last four bond films starring Pierce Brosnan were all just 90 minute parades of badly choreographed car chases, way too many seemingly irrelevant gadgets and stuff blowing up. It was time for a change and Casino Royale effectively cleaned the slate.
  34. Dec 23, 2012
    Best Bond movie ever, those who don't agree obviously don't know a good movie. To all of those guys who hate this movie ( luckily there aren't many, u mad brooooooo?)
  35. May 3, 2013
    A new bond is always good in the new refreshed 007 movies. 21st century James Bond is entertaining and has a leveled amount of violence. Excellent plot and you MUST see this. Really, anyone who gave it 5 or under did not actually see the movie or needed glasses, or they might have been watching clique Casino Spoof.
  36. May 17, 2013
    There is really nothing wrong with this movie. I just like it for a nine. The only thing I didn't like about this movie is the ending, which led into the awful Quantum of Solace. But that's mainly a complaint about that movie.
  37. Jul 16, 2013
    A great restart to the classic character that is played out brilliantly by Daniel Craig. The film is another great classic Bond film (that is only missing a few elements, but those are overshadowed by other classic Bond elements), the acting in this film is great, the script is well written and witty that breaths freshness into the series, the action is jaw dropping, the music brings us back to John Barry's style with a modern twist. This film is high in style and is a very great and classical Bond film adaption! Expand
  38. Sep 13, 2014
    A first rate action thriller with amazing special effects and excellent acting by Daniel Craig.
    ======================================================
  39. Sep 13, 2014
    Daniel Craig is perfect as bond, green is good and the action scenes pack an intense wallop.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. What a relief to escape the series' increasing bondage to high-tech gimmicks in favor of intrigue and suspense featuring richly nuanced characters and women who think the body's sexiest organ is the brain.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Craig comes closer to the author's original conception of this exceptionally long-lived male fantasy figure than anyone since early Sean Connery.
  3. This Bond is haunted, not yet housebroken, still figuring out the persona. In Casino Royale, the reset button has been pressed in the manner of "Batman Begins."