Casino Royale

8.5

1. May 7, 2016
    Isn't it sad that I never reviewed all of the James Bond films? I did review some of it, but that's just plain it. Casino Royale just proves that the modern James Bond films can be as excellent as the classic James Bond films.
  2. Feb 28, 2016
    Casino Royale was the first James Bond film I have ever seen and it really makes me excited to continue exploring this film franchise. The first film starring Daniel Craig as Bond, he knocks the role out of the park with a cool, calculated performance in which he oozes control and being, well, cool. The direction from Martin Campbell is assured and he sets the pace perfectly and really isCasino Royale was the first James Bond film I have ever seen and it really makes me excited to continue exploring this film franchise. The first film starring Daniel Craig as Bond, he knocks the role out of the park with a cool, calculated performance in which he oozes control and being, well, cool. The direction from Martin Campbell is assured and he sets the pace perfectly and really is in control of this film. The action sequences are thrilling and thoroughly exciting, as well as being well choreographed and adventurous. Additionally, the film is really well shot and soaks up the beauty of its exotic locations. The acting, as with Craig, is good and believable across the board. For my first Bond movie, I do not think I could have done much better than Casino Royale, as it left me not only entertained, but itching for more Bond. Expand
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Casino Royale is by far the best of the newest Bonds, with an exciting premise, masterful execution, and an overall Bond feel to it that is mesmerizingly good.
  4. Aug 31, 2014
    Daniel Craig is a refreshing and exhilarating take on James Bond. Casino Royale proves that James Bond will continue to be a part of our lives for years to come.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    "Casino Royale" is the story of, MI6 agent, James Bond's (Daniel Craig) first mission. Fresh off of receiving the coveted "007" status, Bond begins the long and elaborate task of bankrupting the world's top terrorist financier, Le Chiffre (Mikkelson). Now, I am, proudly, a James Bond fan myself and when I had heard that they were going to reboot the franchise ala "Batman Begins"; I was"Casino Royale" is the story of, MI6 agent, James Bond's (Daniel Craig) first mission. Fresh off of receiving the coveted "007" status, Bond begins the long and elaborate task of bankrupting the world's top terrorist financier, Le Chiffre (Mikkelson). Now, I am, proudly, a James Bond fan myself and when I had heard that they were going to reboot the franchise ala "Batman Begins"; I was elated. Because honestly the last few Bond films have been something off a showcase of silliness. After watching "Casino Royale" I can safely say that this film effectively restores the Bond film series, as well as the James Bond name, to everything that author Ian Fleming had originally intended. This film features one of the most dynamic portrayals of the character I've ever seen on film. Sure, everything from the previous films is there (the charm, wit, etc.), but Actor Daniel Craig brings some aspects to the character I've never seen before. He does a really profound job at accentuating just how much of a cold bastard 007 really is. Though he also does a good job at depicting the more loving side of Bond -like I said. . .dynamic. With all these different shades of Bond in tow, Craig creates, quite possibly, my favorite representation of the character. Eva Green does a fine job in her role as the beguiling treasury agent, Vesper Lynd. Green and Craig construct a deep kind of chemistry that I have yet to see any other Bond and "Bond-girl" develop on film. Also, cheers to Mads Mikkelson for playing one of the creepiest Bond-villains I've ever seen. In terms of technicalities, The camerawork is very clean, and editing is logical and accurate. The soundtrack utilizes the classic Bond Theme, but it also employs some extra nuances that I found to be quite suitable for the overall tone of the film. The screenplay is very well written, giving Bond some of the funniest lines I've ever heard his character say. The action is there too, as this movie features some of the coolest and most intimidating set pieces I've seen on film. I mean like some real "Uncharted-esque" stuff happens in this movie- pretty awesome. Anyways, I sincerely enjoyed "Casino Royale", for it re-establishes the James Bond franchise in a place that I feel is very fresh and provocative. Expand
  6. Sep 24, 2011
    The movie is a revolution to the Bond franchise. Mark Campbell presents to the audience that James Bond is not a hero who kills the bad guys and gets laid with girls using his gadgets and slick words. Using Daniel Craig, he presents a Bond that actually gets hurt and looses the ones he love. Through this change of portrayal, Bond has become a stronger character and a worthy franchise toThe movie is a revolution to the Bond franchise. Mark Campbell presents to the audience that James Bond is not a hero who kills the bad guys and gets laid with girls using his gadgets and slick words. Using Daniel Craig, he presents a Bond that actually gets hurt and looses the ones he love. Through this change of portrayal, Bond has become a stronger character and a worthy franchise to watch. Kudos Campbell (and you too Craig)!!! Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2013
    Great action, Good story, and good acting by the cast. Daniel Craig is a great Bond and may even be the best Bond yet. Loved watching this movie and would highly recommend it.
  8. Feb 23, 2013
    I've never been a fan of James Bond. Probably, because I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as 007 and he sucked. I decide to give the series another shot, not because of Bond, but rather Daniel Craig. I have been a fan of Craig's for some time, having seen several of the films from overseas. I knew then that he would be a huge action star and now he's 007. As for my first Bond movie, it wasI've never been a fan of James Bond. Probably, because I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as 007 and he sucked. I decide to give the series another shot, not because of Bond, but rather Daniel Craig. I have been a fan of Craig's for some time, having seen several of the films from overseas. I knew then that he would be a huge action star and now he's 007. As for my first Bond movie, it was pretty good. Craig was fantastic and avoided much of the cliché Bond moments that most of us have come to loath. The film was entertaining, but also pretty predictable and much longer than it needed to be. I was also very unimpressed by the bad guys. I thought Bond villains were supposed to be classic, but these guys were rather forgettable. I'm not in love with the Bond character, but this film did open my eyes a little bit and I probably will check out Quantum of Solace in the near future. Expand
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    Craig nails Bond. He has the intensity of Connery, but a small vulnerability can be sensed as well, a vulnerability that wasn't sensed when Connery was on screen. Craig may be the best Bond yet.
  10. Oct 26, 2012
    Casino Royale is one of the best 007 movies. Daniel Craig makes for an excellent Bond, lending both raw emotion and ice-cold psychopathic detachment all in one go. That's quite a feat! The blistering action, stunning locations and gorgeous woman don't hurt the experience either.
  11. Jan 14, 2016
    Once I could dare to see the first James Bond film with Daniel Craig, and at first he did very well in terms of heroic and romantic tone player . Daniel Craig all the chips and juice make it, now I can only wait and Spectre Quantum of Solace , the first James Bond was excellent, the action, and thriling scenes and especially opening credits you are incredible.
  12. Aug 28, 2014
    I am not a big fan of Bond movies, but this one actually captured my interest and approval. Mr. Bond is, for once, very human. He bleeds, stumbles, and pants for air. He fails and falls.

The action and wickedness of the movie keeps you on your toes to the very end of the movie. And (at least in my humble opinion) for once the Bond girl(s) are pretty human, too. Not those overly pretty, overly cocky kind of women who are just there to look good, and to fall into 007's clutches without even a snap of fingers from the said man (okay, so maybe they were a little easy... and one of them so disposable they could have completely gone without her...).
  13. Nov 12, 2013
    Not entirely faithful to the amazing, classic novel of Ian Fleming, 007 is saved by the blunt Daniel Craig, who adds an even tougher image to Bond then Connery had made. Gritty action while maintaining sophisticated dialogue and beautiful women, that's the type of Bond movie I like.
  14. Jun 2, 2013
    One of the most surprising and satisfying films I've ever seen. Not only is this a great Bond movie, it may very well be the best Bond movie. Brilliant.
  15. Feb 18, 2013
    I bet the big wigs at MGM are laughing and making crude gestures to all the doubters who petitioned to have Daniel Craig removed as the new Bond, and they should be, because there was no mistake, and what has been crafted one of the most flawless films in the past decade. This is not the Bond everybody knows, gone are the gadgets of Brosnan or the suave of Connery,not only does CasinoI bet the big wigs at MGM are laughing and making crude gestures to all the doubters who petitioned to have Daniel Craig removed as the new Bond, and they should be, because there was no mistake, and what has been crafted one of the most flawless films in the past decade. This is not the Bond everybody knows, gone are the gadgets of Brosnan or the suave of Connery,not only does Casino Royale basically cancel out the rest, as Bond has yet to receive his '00' status, but it creates a whole new type of character that we have not yet seen. The opening black and white scene paints a very different agent to what we are accustomed to..fist fighting with a man in a toilet, beating each other senseless and slamming each other into sinks until Bond eventually drowns his victim, this is a new, dark and gritty direction that is brilliant in every way.
    Judi Dench returns as a more centered and grounded M, who tasks Bond with infiltrating the terrorist operation of Le Chiffre (Mals Mikkelsen) who employs a bomb maker that Bond chases in a breathtaking parkour scene through a construction site.
    After Bond foils Le Chiffre's terrorist attempt in a Miami airport, he is entered into a poker game involving Le Chiffre to attempt to bankrupt him to the end of MI6 using him to bring down a terrorist organisation.
    With Eva Green taking the female lead as Vesper Lynd, this is a Bond film that is very much human, with touches of realism that paint a very different picture, he bleeds, he is reckless, and doesn't seem to give a damn about anything, and the writing team have taken on this leap to show Bonds complete disregard for what we are use to like the utter destruction of a brand new Aston Martin, ("Shaken or Stirred?" "Do I look like I give a damn?")
    Daniel Craig portrays a man who has the skill set and aura of Jason Bourne, but with a vulnerable state of insecurity and isolation.There is enough action to rival the biggest of blockbusters, with carefully choreographed scenes and brilliant set pieces including an airport chase along the runway, it can't be stressed enough that Craig is portraying a very serious and realistic 'operative', and not a 'secret agent'.
    Not only is this the best Bond movie in its long history, but also one of the best films to appear this decade.
  16. Aug 6, 2015
    Pretty great restart to one of the most iconic characters, "Casino Royale" ranks among one of the strongest James Bond's outings, mostly because of entertaining action and talented performances.
  17. Apr 16, 2016
    I'm not a huge James Bond fan, but I like a good spy thriller, and Daniel Craig's Bond movies have been some of the best in the past few years. I went back to his first Bond outing, Casino Royale, which is arguably Craig's best. In Casino Royale, James Bond has been armed with a license to kill and goes out on his first mission as 007 where he must defeat a weapons dealer in a high stakesI'm not a huge James Bond fan, but I like a good spy thriller, and Daniel Craig's Bond movies have been some of the best in the past few years. I went back to his first Bond outing, Casino Royale, which is arguably Craig's best. In Casino Royale, James Bond has been armed with a license to kill and goes out on his first mission as 007 where he must defeat a weapons dealer in a high stakes game of poker. This movie serves as a reboot of the Bond franchise and shows a new story arc for Craig's Bond, so we see a more vulnerable and less experienced James Bond. There are still some ridiculously fantastic action sequences to behold, but it's obvious that he's not nearly as sharp as he will come to be. The action scenes aren't even the best part of the movie though. The second act takes place almost entirely around a poker table, changing from a spy movie to a more contained thriller. It's suspenseful and incredibly well acted. Casino Royale gives one of the more memorable Bond movies that I've ever seen and set up Craig for a great run in the role. Expand
  18. Dec 13, 2013
    Casino Royale rejuvenates the Bond franchise with a beautifully crafted film complete with wit, emotion, plot and of course, enthralling action sequences.
  19. Nov 2, 2012
    Simply the best Bond of all times. Also if Daniel Craig isn't the best actor I could imagine for this role, this is subordinate because of the great supporting actors. Eva Green is fetchingly good and Mads Mikkelsen as the antagonist is also very well played. The whole film consists of so much rememberable action scenes, every single one is just awesome! The long break between this and theSimply the best Bond of all times. Also if Daniel Craig isn't the best actor I could imagine for this role, this is subordinate because of the great supporting actors. Eva Green is fetchingly good and Mads Mikkelsen as the antagonist is also very well played. The whole film consists of so much rememberable action scenes, every single one is just awesome! The long break between this and the last Bond was essential, with the new techniques there are better visual and audio effects, that improve the whole movie quite much. 'Casino Royale' is a legendary story, the ending is absolutely great and I also enjoyed the poker game. It's a little step away from being a perfect action movie, but is surely one of the best I've seen in years and everything just works in this film. Simply awesome! Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2016
    Easily one of the best, is not the best, Bond films since the days of Connery. The dark and gritty tones are a welcome change of pace, and the story still manages to infuse humour in the right places, and in my opinion also in the right quantity. Easy 10.
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    Over the years Bond movies had become a little cheesy and so director Martin Campbell reinvents the spy in a grittier and more realistic portrayal taking audiences right back to the start.

The opening chase sequence must rank amongst the best movie openings in cinema history and will instantly grab the attention of most viewers. Fortunately the rest of the movie is almost as entertaining striking a good balance between developing Bond's character and including the car chases and explosions one would expect. Importantly Daniel Craig is also very good in his first Bond outing making Casino Royale a thrilling two hours of cinema.
  22. Nov 9, 2014
  23. Dec 31, 2011
    I enjoyed it and it's pretty much a given that every Bond film staring the new Bond is gonna be good. The huge problems the film had is that it took quite a bit to get into and to get interesting. Also it did a poor job going from action to drama. Besides that, It was still a good action film and Daniel Craig is one of the best Bonds yet.
  24. Apr 7, 2016
    Daniel Craig as "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007," and Craig comes closer to the author's original conception of this exceptionally long-lived male fantasy figure than anyone since early Sean Connery. "Casino Royale" sees Bond recharged with fresh toughness and arrogance, along with balancing hints of sadism and humanity, just as the fabled series is reinvigorated by going back to basics.Daniel Craig as "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007," and Craig comes closer to the author's original conception of this exceptionally long-lived male fantasy figure than anyone since early Sean Connery. "Casino Royale" sees Bond recharged with fresh toughness and arrogance, along with balancing hints of sadism and humanity, just as the fabled series is reinvigorated by going back to basics.

Bond made his debut in “Casino Royale” when it was published in 1953, and while the novel was adapted the following year for American television (Barry Nelson played Bond) and in 1967 became a lame all-star spy send-up featuring Peter Sellers, David Niven and Woody Allen, it remained unavailable to the Eon producers until now.

As refashioned for this 21st series installment, the novel’s focus on a high-stakes cards showdown doesn’t kick in for an hour. But Craig’s taking over as the sixth actor to officially portray the secret agent on the bigscreen (not including that first “Casino”) provides a plausible opportunity to examine the character’s promotion to double-0 status, which is neatly done in a brutal black-and-white prologue in which he notches his first two kills.

After the pic bleeds into color, Bond pursues a would-be suicide bomber in a madly acrobatic chase through an African construction site, at the end of which he happens to be filmed killing an apparently, if not in fact, unarmed man in images instantly disseminated on the Internet, to the enormous embarrassment of MI6. Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Bond.

Doubling the displeasure of his boss M (Judi Dench happily back for her fifth turn) by surreptitiously entering her flat, Bond ignores her reprimand by high-tailing it to the Bahamas, itself a nice throwback to the film series’ origins in “Dr. No.” Following a cell phone trail of potential terrorist bombers, Bond tracks one, then another in Miami, where an evening that begins at a “Bodyworks” exhibition ends with a high-speed tarmac battle in which the fate of the world’s biggest new jetliner hangs in the balance.

Even by this early juncture, the pic has emphatically announced its own personality. It’s comparatively low-tech, with the intense fights mostly conducted up close and personally, the killings accomplished by hand or gun, and without an invisible car in evidence; Bond is more of a lone wolf, Craig’s upper-body hunkiness and mildly squashed facial features giving him the air of a boxer; 007’s got a frequently remarked upon ego, which can cause him to recklessly overreach and botch things, and the limited witticisms function naturally within the characters’ interchanges.

As matters advance to the Continent, elements even more unusual in the Bond world of late, comprehensible plotting and palpable male-female frissons, move to the fore. Bond’s enemy is not a Mr. Evil type plotting world domination, but a financier of international terrorism, Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen), who needs to make financial amends by winning a big-pot poker game at the casino in fictional Montenegro. Bond plans to break Le Chiffre for good at the gambling table, and to this end he is fronted $10 million delivered by a most alluring messenger, Vesper Lynd (Eva Green), assigned to keep tabs on the coin.

Their initial meeting on board a Euro fast train fairly crackles with a sexual undercurrent as they perceptively size one another up. But Vesper intends to maintain a professional distance from her temporary colleague, whose contest of wills and luck with Le Chiffre in the hushed confines of a private gaming room is repeatedly interrupted during breaks by spasms of violence and attempts on Bond’s life.

Yarn does tend to go on a bit once it sails past the two-hour mark, but final stretch contains two indelible interludes crucial to defining this new incarnation of Bond. Constrained nude to a bottomed-out chair, Bond is tortured by Le Chiffre who repeatedly launches a hard-tipped rope upon his nemesis’ most sensitive area, and Craig once and for all claims the character as his own by virtue of the supreme defiance with which he taunts Le Chiffre even in vulnerable extremis. Later, the startling, tragic turn in Bond’s relationship with Vesper provides a measure of understanding for his rake-like tendencies down the line.

Script by series vets Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, along with Paul Haggis, hangs together reasonably well and is rewarded for its unaccustomed preoccupation with character by the attentiveness to same by director Martin Campbell, back after having helmed the first Brosnan entry, “GoldenEye,” 11 years ago.

“Casino Royale” is the first Bond in a while that’s not over-produced, and while the score by David Arnold, in his fourth Bond outing, is very good, the title song, “You Know My Name,” sung by Chris Cornell over disappointingly designed opening credits, is a dud.
  25. Nov 26, 2011
    Daniel Craig is a great addition to the many actors that played Bond before him and he was wonderful in this film. It can get a little dull but overall the action sequences and the film as a whole was well worth watching and one of the best in the Bond series.
  26. Oct 29, 2015
    I remember when this movie was first released and that Daniel Craig was going to play Bond, there was controversy and backlash due to the fact that Craig did not meet everybody's needs as he looked nothing like the Bond we all imagined.

I had very low expectations with this movie, thinking that it was just going to be a routine Bond film with dumb action, endless gadgets and gimmicks, just like the Pierce Brosnan Bonds were becoming shortly after his debut in 'Goldeneye' (1995).

It seems my disappointment was non-existent, 'Casino Royale' is easily the best Bond movie since 'Goldeneye' (1995), which was also directed by Martin Campbell. This is a much grittier movie with a more vulnerable and human Bond. A character who was once two-dimensional, a character who had nothing but a fancy car, gadgets and women now has personality. This is thanks to Craig's performance mixed with a smart screenplay written by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and Paul Haggis.

Mads Mikkelsen plays LeChiffre, the main villain in the movie who also has a slice of vulnerability unlike most Bond villains. He is sadistic, but he is also hurt. You have Eva Green as Vesper, James' associate throughout the movie, as a Bond girl, she is one of the best. There is also some vulnerability there as well. All of these characters are human, they are not stereotypes, they are not weighed down by cliches, this movie and the characters are all fresh.

'Casino Royale' is also the first Bond novel written by Ian Fleming and the movie is seen as a reboot for the character and franchise. It makes sense to go back to the drawing board and use the first ever book to re-invent the franchise. The only thing missing in this movie are the characters Q and Moneypenny, but it seems that you can make a Bond movie without them, as long as you add some more depth and dimension to the characters you are focusing on.

'Casino Royale' is great, one of the best Bonds ever. Darker, more personal and more tense than previous outings. The only movie after this that lived up to expectations is 'Skyfall' (2012) which I already reviewed. 'Casino Royale' deserves its 10/10 score.
  27. Mar 22, 2013
    Certainly the best Bond movie I've seen. Craig's portrayal of 007 is refreshing. The action and suspense was plenty, and so was engaging dialogue. The sequence at the casino was riveting. The acting all around was quite good. I had a great time all the way. Bond came across as very human, and I found myself caring about his fate for the first time. He was upfront, brutal and effective as aCertainly the best Bond movie I've seen. Craig's portrayal of 007 is refreshing. The action and suspense was plenty, and so was engaging dialogue. The sequence at the casino was riveting. The acting all around was quite good. I had a great time all the way. Bond came across as very human, and I found myself caring about his fate for the first time. He was upfront, brutal and effective as a true agent would be, not a pretentious snob like he was displayed to be by Brosnan. The balance between action, dialogue, plot and romance was well maintained. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2012
    There is quite a lot of action before things focus on the Casino; all of this is well done and features much of the stunt work in the film. I have to say it does appear to get a little lost once the main focus of the film is established. Once we do get there the scenes in and around the Casino are quite compelling and it is here that we actually get a feeling for how Daniel Craig portraysThere is quite a lot of action before things focus on the Casino; all of this is well done and features much of the stunt work in the film. I have to say it does appear to get a little lost once the main focus of the film is established. Once we do get there the scenes in and around the Casino are quite compelling and it is here that we actually get a feeling for how Daniel Craig portrays Bond. He has vulnerabilities that make him appear more human and this in turn gives the audience a chance to understand his motivations. I must admit I really enjoyed Craig Expand
  29. Jan 16, 2015
    É um Bom filme mas é um pouco superestimado,não é as mil maravilhas mas tem a capacidade de prender o telespectador,tem boas cenas de ação se bem que metade do filme é Bond num cassino. Com certeza não é as mil maravilhas. Um filme bom mas muito superestimado.
  30. Dec 18, 2015
    Gritty, realistic and a superb mixture of action and suspense, this is perhaps one of the best Bond films. True, the best parts are the start and the casino portion of the film onward, but Daniel Craig's engaging performance as the blonde Bond is truly breathtaking. Excellently cast villain as well.
  31. Jul 20, 2016
    Casino Royale is one bad ass Bond film. It is Daniel Craig's introduction as Bond, and what an introduction it is. With great villains, an epic opening chase scene, great action, great performances, and beautiful locales Casino Royale is a fun ride.
  32. Mar 18, 2013
    I am not a big fan of 007, but this "new" Bond, with it rather realistic portrayal was a nice addition to the series in my opinion. Casino Royale is a well made action movie, an though I do not like the genre, this movie was made has quality. Overall an enjoyable action movie.
  33. Jan 23, 2013
    The best Bond movie in the franchise, in my opinion. Casino Royale is filled with great action, great characters, and a great story line. It also features on of the best Bond girls, as she is actually given a character instead of just being there for her looks.
  34. May 3, 2013
    A new bond is always good in the new refreshed 007 movies. 21st century James Bond is entertaining and has a leveled amount of violence. Excellent plot and you MUST see this. Really, anyone who gave it 5 or under did not actually see the movie or needed glasses, or they might have been watching clique Casino Spoof.
  35. Jul 16, 2013
    A great restart to the classic character that is played out brilliantly by Daniel Craig. The film is another great classic Bond film (that is only missing a few elements, but those are overshadowed by other classic Bond elements), the acting in this film is great, the script is well written and witty that breaths freshness into the series, the action is jaw dropping, the music brings usA great restart to the classic character that is played out brilliantly by Daniel Craig. The film is another great classic Bond film (that is only missing a few elements, but those are overshadowed by other classic Bond elements), the acting in this film is great, the script is well written and witty that breaths freshness into the series, the action is jaw dropping, the music brings us back to John Barry's style with a modern twist. This film is high in style and is a very great and classical Bond film adaption! Expand
  36. Sep 28, 2011
    This film is fantastic! Especially the chase at the beginning. Loved every second of it. They've got the right balance between action and developing the story. It's not boring to watch, but isn't guns going off all the way. Nicely done.
  37. Sep 18, 2015
    Non-stop action with amazing stunts mixed with some great & often funny performances by the cast. This being my first Bond film, I loved it. Great way to introduce Daniel Craig to the series.
  38. Jun 13, 2011
    I was actually really surprised. Daniel Craig was an amazing Bond and Eva Green to me was one of the best Bond girls. The plot was actually really good and believable. The acting was great. The only problems I have with the movie is that its a prequil but the technoligy was far better then the other films and M looks older. But once you get past those details this movie was great.
  39. Mar 23, 2012
    This film, 'Casino Royale' is like a breath of cool, fresh air in the sense that it absolutely refreshes the entire James Bond franchise. Daniel Craig has exceeded all expectations and has successfully molded his own version of the famous 007 spy. The movie itself is dark, gritty and realistic; gone are the days of the cheeky, suave Bonds we've previously seen in the past. However ifThis film, 'Casino Royale' is like a breath of cool, fresh air in the sense that it absolutely refreshes the entire James Bond franchise. Daniel Craig has exceeded all expectations and has successfully molded his own version of the famous 007 spy. The movie itself is dark, gritty and realistic; gone are the days of the cheeky, suave Bonds we've previously seen in the past. However if you're not a fan of poker this flick will prove to be both tedious and boring at times and the lack of a decent villain is somewhat disappointing to say the least. Expand
  40. Jan 25, 2015
    The Pierce Brosnan era was over, the actor still good as Bond, but weighed down by poor scripts, he never really got the kudos he deserved. EON felt it was time to reboot and they did so perfectly with "Casino Royale", Fleming's first book. The mood is dark and gritty, physical, returning to the darker tone of the Dalton era, and setting Bond up for the modern age. The cast, especiallyThe Pierce Brosnan era was over, the actor still good as Bond, but weighed down by poor scripts, he never really got the kudos he deserved. EON felt it was time to reboot and they did so perfectly with "Casino Royale", Fleming's first book. The mood is dark and gritty, physical, returning to the darker tone of the Dalton era, and setting Bond up for the modern age. The cast, especially Daniel Craig as Bond, are first rate and the results make this one of the best Bond films ever. Excellent. Expand
  41. CRL
    Aug 4, 2011
    Casino Royale was an excellent film in almost every aspect. Daniel Craig makes a new Bond, darker and gritter than his predecessors, and undeniably the best since the original. The plot is suspenseful and detailed, though near the end it loses some steam. Still, the ending makes Royale the beginning of (hopefully) something great, and not just a standalone thriller.
  42. Jan 5, 2016
    There's one whopper of a reason why Casino Royale is the hippest, highest-octane Bond film in ages, and his name is Daniel Craig. This rugged, jug-eared Brit, whose irregular features improbably radiate a megawatt star charisma, gets the last laugh on the Internet buzz killers who've been ragging on him at craignotbond.com for being blond and blue-eyed and too short (five-eleven) for BondThere's one whopper of a reason why Casino Royale is the hippest, highest-octane Bond film in ages, and his name is Daniel Craig. This rugged, jug-eared Brit, whose irregular features improbably radiate a megawatt star charisma, gets the last laugh on the Internet buzz killers who've been ragging on him at craignotbond.com for being blond and blue-eyed and too short (five-eleven) for Bond duty. Not only is Craig, 38, the best Bond since Sean Connery, he's the first of the Bonds (great Scot Connery, one-shot George Lazenby, charmer Roger Moore, stuff-shirt Timothy Dalton and smoothie Pierce Brosnan) to lose the condescension and take the role seriously.

Craig reinvigorates a **** franchise that's been laying on bigger stunts and sillier gadgets to disguise the fact that it's run out of ideas. And he does it with an actor's skill, an athlete's grace and a dangerous glint that puts you on notice that Bond, James Bond, is back in business.

Sad to say, Casino Royale is also weighed down by action-business-as-usual. Craig's a live wire, closer to the blunt instrument Ian Fleming imagined when he created the character in 1953, but he can't mess too much with the winning formula begun with 1962's Dr. No. Bond producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli, who died in 1996, left the golden goose in the care of his daughter Barbara Broccoli and his stepson Michael Wilson, who fully grasp that the four stunt-loaded Bond flicks with Brosnan are the most lucrative in the twenty-film series and that they can't spend $150 million to produce a 007 art film.

Still, the producers deserve credit for busting Bond at least partly out of the box. The film opens promisingly with a scene - strikingly shot in black-and-white - that sets up Bond as an MI6 agent who may be too much of a hothead to earn double-0 status and a license to kill. Then come the familiar credits, and the typical song ("You Know My Name," by Chris Cornell), followed by a full-bore, full-color foot chase across rooftops in Africa. Though efficiently directed by GoldenEye's Martin Campbell, the chase stalls the movie and, worse, delays getting us up close and personal with Craig. Seeing him run and sweat isn't half as much fun as seeing him act.

After that, everything gets better. Casino Royale, heavier on character than action, was the first book in Fleming's Bond series, making it the ideal place to start the wheel spinning anew. That's right, Casino Royale acts like the other Bond movies never existed. We're back at square one, only the time is now, the fantasy is limited and the story is anchored in reality. Q, with his gadgets and invisible cars, is nowhere to be seen. The tone is set when Bond orders a martini. "Shaken or stirred?" asks the bartender. Craig delivers the answer straight-up and bone-dry: "Do I look like I give a damn?">And we're off, with even the stock elements getting a fresh twist. Take the villain: He's Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen), a banker who launders money for terrorists. It's a bit of a Dr. Evil parody that Le Chiffre cries tears of blood, but Mikkelsen, a star in his native Denmark, gives off a genuine eww vibe, especially when he tortures Bond with a testicle squeeze and pauses to leer at his naked body. Hero and villain go at it most excitingly over a poker table at Montenegro's Casino Royale, where a test of character, not strength, will determine the eventual winner.

What about the Bond girls? The gorgeous Caterina Murino sizzles as Solange, a babe he takes back to his hotel room for a roll on the floor that causes serious rug burns. But it's Eva Green as Vesper Lynd, a British treasury operative sent to stake Bond at the poker tables, who lifts her role to class-act status. Oscar winner Paul Haggis (Crash) contributes sly dialogue to a script that goes far beyond kiss-kiss/bang-bang. A scene in which Bond and Vesper attempt to guess each other's past histories trumps its comic zing with romantic gravity.

It also helps that Craig is mixing it up with a first-rate cast, including Jeffrey Wright as CIA agent Felix Leiter, Giancarlo Giannini as MI6 contact Mathis, and most especially Judi Dench, back in the game as M, Bond's boss. Dame Judi put her power on hold in the lightweight Brosnan films, but with Craig she comes out blazing, knowing she's found an actor who can give as good as he gets.

As the plot globe-trots from Prague, London, Miami and the Bahamas to an overblown climax in the canals of Venice, Casino Royale uncovers something unique in the 007 dossier: an unformed secret-agent man, lacking polish, vulnerable to violence and helplessly lost in love. Craig gives us James Bond in the fascinating act of inventing himself. This you do not want to miss.
  43. Oct 16, 2011
    the movie was entertaining, but the action is mostly what keeps it up. i don't really like daniel craig as James Bond. movie was good, but didn't really have the feeling of a James Bond movie.
  44. Mar 10, 2013
    Like the direction that the filmmakers took with casino royale. Its darker than the previous bonds, its more brutal and it has a suprisingly good story in it
  45. Dec 11, 2012
    Before seeing this movie, I hadn't seen any other Bond films before, but I knew of the conventions all too well. This new spin on Bond gives us a flawed character that can fail who the audience can root for, which is a refreshing change. The plot is engaging even when there's no action. I didn't know poker scenes could be so suspenseful, and I can't tell one poker tile from the other! TheBefore seeing this movie, I hadn't seen any other Bond films before, but I knew of the conventions all too well. This new spin on Bond gives us a flawed character that can fail who the audience can root for, which is a refreshing change. The plot is engaging even when there's no action. I didn't know poker scenes could be so suspenseful, and I can't tell one poker tile from the other! The dialogue is sharp and witty, and there are several quotable and memorable lines in this movie. Daniel Craig may not be the smoothest Bond, but he's perfect for this new take on the character. Eva Green makes an excellent Bond girl, and she has great chemistry with Craig. The only problem with the film is the underwritten villain. He's funding terrorism, but what are the terrorist's goals? He lacked a greater objective. Casino Royale had me completely sold to James Bond and left me wanting more. Expand
  46. Jan 18, 2013
    This is the best bond film i've seen so far. Well acting by Mad Mikkelsen and Daniël Craig.Everything is good on this movie. This is an awesome Bond movie
  47. Oct 31, 2012
    En un primer momento el James Bond Daniel Craig me parece frío, violento, más parecido a un Charles Bronson que a un 007, pero según avanza la película lo descubrimos que sin ser seductor puede enamorar y enamorarse. Un cambio radical de estilo. Ya en la presentación no aparecen las típicas chicas bond bailando al son de una pegadiza música,En un primer momento el James Bond Daniel Craig me parece frío, violento, más parecido a un Charles Bronson que a un 007, pero según avanza la película lo descubrimos que sin ser seductor puede enamorar y enamorarse. Un cambio radical de estilo. Ya en la presentación no aparecen las típicas chicas bond bailando al son de una pegadiza música, y es el propio Daniel Craig quién nos muestra su cuerpo saliendo del agua. Incluso para los que no nos gusta el póker es una película muy recomendable. Expand
  48. Nov 20, 2012
    Loved the stunts, loved the theme song, but did not love the overall scenario of the movie itself. A long boring card game in the middle of the movie and the action scenes are mostly dealt with chasing one enemy at a time. I expect more excitement and the gadgets this time but there's nothing more than just some pointless scenes.
  49. Oct 4, 2010
    Wow! I loved the Sean Connery movies and since then they seem to have deteriorated. This film is definite proof that the Bond series is not lost. A different type of Bond, played by Daniel Craig, was what the franchise needed and the storyline was intriguing throughout the film. Even the one-liners and old Bond jokes which made the original films to entertaining and memorable are presentWow! I loved the Sean Connery movies and since then they seem to have deteriorated. This film is definite proof that the Bond series is not lost. A different type of Bond, played by Daniel Craig, was what the franchise needed and the storyline was intriguing throughout the film. Even the one-liners and old Bond jokes which made the original films to entertaining and memorable are present in this film, much to my delight. You can't miss this film if you're a James Bond fan, and even if you're not, you'll still love it anyway. Expand
  50. May 22, 2014
    OK Better than Sky fall. You can see this movie. this is one of my first movies with torture. First bond movie with a longest poker game in the movie.
  51. Oct 13, 2015
    Connery is the ultimate Bond, Moore is the funny Bond, Dalton is the cool Bond, Brosnan is the suave Bond and Craig is... the ugly Bond?

I have no idea why they came up with the ludicrous idea to pick Craig as the new Bond and why they decided to make Bond movies so dark and boring. The scene in the casino should be a return to the old Bond, remember the first scene in the first Bond

The scene in the casino should be a return to the old Bond, remember the first scene in the first Bond movie was featuring Sean Connery in a casino. But in this movie they succeed in making the scene so slow and boring it hurts. It even makes the villain's eye bleed, can you blame him? Watching this movie made me wanna poke my eyes with a pencil too.
  52. Sep 15, 2010
    i really enjoyed this bond film i wasn't sure about Daniel Craig as bond at first but he actually performed very well in this film. the plot of the film was also well written better then a lot of other bond films
  53. Nov 17, 2012
    Admittedly, Bond had gotten silly by this entry, with invisible cars and diamond-faced baddies. And since the gritty reboot is all the rage, Martin Campbell gives us what can only be dubbed as "The Bond Identity", stripping away not only all the gadgets, but all of the style, the humor and the atmosphere of a Bond film. Sure, it's a fine action film (despite its ending dragging on for farAdmittedly, Bond had gotten silly by this entry, with invisible cars and diamond-faced baddies. And since the gritty reboot is all the rage, Martin Campbell gives us what can only be dubbed as "The Bond Identity", stripping away not only all the gadgets, but all of the style, the humor and the atmosphere of a Bond film. Sure, it's a fine action film (despite its ending dragging on for far too long), and relaunching the franchise after the abysmal Die Another Day was certainly necessary. But much like an immunization, just because something is necessary doesn't mean its fun. Expand
  54. Dec 9, 2012
    Easily the best Bond film since the Connery days. "Casino Royale" marks a modern and exciting rebirth of a film icon, laying the foundations for what could be an excellent series.
  55. Jul 23, 2012
    Casino Royale is the first James Bond movie I have ever seen. That said, lets get on with the review from a new James Bond viewer. James Bond has been around for quite some time now, so after an absence, how is the twenty-first film? Great. Even though the movie takes a while to actually get in gear, the story is good and the acting is great. Say what people will about Daniel Craig, ICasino Royale is the first James Bond movie I have ever seen. That said, lets get on with the review from a new James Bond viewer. James Bond has been around for quite some time now, so after an absence, how is the twenty-first film? Great. Even though the movie takes a while to actually get in gear, the story is good and the acting is great. Say what people will about Daniel Craig, I thought he did an excellent job as Agent 007, but maybe that's because I haven't seen any of the other films. The action sequences are superb in this scene but the film does get quite boring towards the middle. Nonetheless, this film is good overall and definitely deserves a watch! Expand
  56. Nov 29, 2015
    Casino Royale is a thrilling action-Bond movie that gave a new fresh air of life to the franchise. Casino Royale made for Bond what no other Bond Film had made in a very long time, it gives a suspenseful, intriguing, breathless action pic that succeeds not only as a Bond Movie, but as a Movie itself. And let's not forget about Craig, his interpretation as the new serious, caustic Bond isCasino Royale is a thrilling action-Bond movie that gave a new fresh air of life to the franchise. Casino Royale made for Bond what no other Bond Film had made in a very long time, it gives a suspenseful, intriguing, breathless action pic that succeeds not only as a Bond Movie, but as a Movie itself. And let's not forget about Craig, his interpretation as the new serious, caustic Bond is pure gold, not a doubt, best Bond in years (If not the best Bond). Expand
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    An outstanding piece of cinema and probably the best Bond movie. Daniel Craig gives us a more realistic, darker edge, vulnerable Bond and proves himself worthy of the role and will obviously be considered one of the best along with Sean Connery. The film delivers everything you want in a movie, a true spy story with twists and suspense, great action in between and plenty of characterAn outstanding piece of cinema and probably the best Bond movie. Daniel Craig gives us a more realistic, darker edge, vulnerable Bond and proves himself worthy of the role and will obviously be considered one of the best along with Sean Connery. The film delivers everything you want in a movie, a true spy story with twists and suspense, great action in between and plenty of character development including a group of sinister villains. It delivers what we want in a Bond film as well. It does just about everything right. I have no complaints. Expand
  58. Nov 16, 2012
    After reviewing Skyfall, I thought that I ought to give Casino Royale the 10 it so royally deserves in my opinion. Dench and Craig are my all-time favorite actors and are cast perfectly, the story is deep with a gut-wrenching twist. This is hands down the best Bond movie I've ever seen. And now I am going to go see it again ;)
  59. Feb 22, 2016
    Easily my favorite Bond film as Daniel Craig gives his best performance yet,and gives us our most intense and character driven James Bond film to date. I don't want to go into to much detail all i can say is it's a must watch to anyone interested in James Bond or wanting to watch a awesome action film.
  60. May 17, 2013
    There is really nothing wrong with this movie. I just like it for a nine. The only thing I didn't like about this movie is the ending, which led into the awful Quantum of Solace. But that's mainly a complaint about that movie.
  61. Jan 3, 2012
    The Best Bond film ever,yes... the pacing is a little off in the second act and while the film is mostly superbly written, the romantic dialogue comes off as underwritten and tonally separate from the rest of the writing. Still, the first action set piece is one of the best ever and the action sequences are smartly edited with a clear cohesiveness that is hard to find in modern actin filmsThe Best Bond film ever,yes... the pacing is a little off in the second act and while the film is mostly superbly written, the romantic dialogue comes off as underwritten and tonally separate from the rest of the writing. Still, the first action set piece is one of the best ever and the action sequences are smartly edited with a clear cohesiveness that is hard to find in modern actin films (See the sequel for an example) Expand
  62. Nov 7, 2015
    Well, in 2015 this web-site told me that this movie is 'new or notable' so I decided to write a review. It's not OK but there're so many movies about 007 (LOTS) that I'd rather call it cliche than something new. But I believe it's not that bad, I'd say it's kinda good but only for once, watching again won't satisfy you that much.
  63. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The twenty-first James Bond film, second directed by Martin Campbell (GoldenEye), and the first to star Daniel Craig as 007.
    After the way-over-the-top CGI heavy â
  64. Dec 13, 2014
    It is dark ,cold ,classy& edgy all the things you need from 007 agent .
    "Even James Bond, in other words, wants to be 007.
    This movie is a serious business to depict the real bond from the novel.

David Arnold what a genius score. Also it has some of the classiest cinematography I have ever came across in my life

The Best bond and bond movie ever for me,
  65. Nov 2, 2015
    Without a doubt the most compelling, action packed, emotional and convincing bond movie out of the entire franchise. Finally a bond girl that judges and challenges bond on an emotional level he can't control. Mads Mikkelsen truely sets a precedent as the perfect bond villain (he actually has a reason). The perfect example of a three act movie with amazing character development and aWithout a doubt the most compelling, action packed, emotional and convincing bond movie out of the entire franchise. Finally a bond girl that judges and challenges bond on an emotional level he can't control. Mads Mikkelsen truely sets a precedent as the perfect bond villain (he actually has a reason). The perfect example of a three act movie with amazing character development and a stunning ending. Expand
  66. Oct 24, 2011
    Director Martin Campbell revitalizes the Bond series with this action-packed prequel. After the cinematic disaster that was "Die Another Day", long-time fans of the famous double-O agent are rewarded for their faithfulness. Daniel Craig validates his selection as the next actor to portray Bond by delivering a fantastic performance and subsequently propels himself to the top of the "BestDirector Martin Campbell revitalizes the Bond series with this action-packed prequel. After the cinematic disaster that was "Die Another Day", long-time fans of the famous double-O agent are rewarded for their faithfulness. Daniel Craig validates his selection as the next actor to portray Bond by delivering a fantastic performance and subsequently propels himself to the top of the "Best Bond" list. Craig's Bond is younger, stronger, and colder than ever. But the women are just as beautiful, the villains just as cruel, and the cities just as grand. Although the plot features a high-stakes poker game, this movie is no gamble. See it, buy it, watch. Over and over. Expand
  67. Jul 31, 2012
    It has all the guns, girls, and gadgets you would expect but never feels too cliche. Daniel Craig is a perfect Bond. He has the suave that you'd expect from the character, but adds a edginess that feels like should have always been there. What he takes away though is some of the fun.
  68. Apr 1, 2016
    Renewing a License to Kill and a Huge Movie Franchise

Renewing a License to Kill and a Huge Movie Franchise

The latest James Bond vehicle — call him Bond, Bond 6.0 — finds the British spy leaner, meaner and a whole lot darker. Now played by an attractive bit of blond rough named Daniel Craig, Pierce Brosnan having been permanently kicked to the kerb, Her Majesty’s favorite bad boy arrives on screens with the usual complement of cool toys, smooth rides, bosomy women and high expectations. He shoots, he scores, in bed and out, taking down the bad and the beautiful as he strides purposefully into the 21st century.

It’s about time. The likable Mr. Brosnan was always more persuasive playing Bond as a metaphoric rather than an actual lady-killer, with the sort of polished affect and blow-dried good looks that these days tend to work better either on television or against the grain. Two of his best performances have been almost aggressively anti-Bond turns, first in John Boorman’s adaptation of the John le Carré novel “The Tailor of Panama,” in which he played a dissolute spy, and, more recently, in “The Matador,” a comedy in which he played a hit man with a sizable gut and alarmingly tight bikini underwear. Mr. Brosnan did not demolish the memory of his Bond years with that pot, but he came admirably close.

very generation gets the Bond it deserves if not necessarily desires, and with his creased face and uneasy smile, Mr. Craig fits these grim times well. As if to underscore the idea that this new Bond marks a decisive break with the contemporary iterations, “Casino Royale” opens with a black-and-white sequence that finds the spy making his first government-sanctioned kills. The inky blood soon gives way to full-blown color, but not until Bond has killed one man with his hands after a violent struggle and fatally shot a second. “Made you feel it, did he?” someone asks Bond of his first victim. Bond doesn’t answer. From the way the director, Martin Campbell, stages the action though, it’s clear that he wants to make sure we do feel it.

“Casino Royale” introduced Bond to the world in 1953. A year later it was made into a television drama with the American actor Barry Nelson as Jimmy Bond; the following decade, it was a ham-fisted spoof with David Niven as the spy and a very funny Peter Sellers as a card shark. For reasons that are too boring to repeat, when Ian Fleming sold the film rights to Bond, “Casino Royale” was not part of the deal. As a consequence the producers who held most of the rights decided to take their cue from news reports about misfired missiles, placing their bets on “Dr. No” and its missile-mad villain. The first big-screen Bond, it hit in October 1962, the same month that Fleming’s fan John F. Kennedy took the Cuban missile crisis public.

The Vatican later condemned “Dr. No” as a dangerous mixture of violence, vulgarity, sadism and sex.

Ka-ching! The film was a success, as was its relatively unknown star, Sean Connery, who balanced those descriptive notes beautifully, particularly in the first film and its even better follow-up, “From Russia With Love.”

In time Mr. Connery’s conception of the character softened, as did the series itself, and both Roger Moore and Mr. Brosnan portrayed the spy as something of a gentleman playboy. That probably helps explain why some Bond fanatics have objected so violently to Mr. Craig, who fits Fleming’s description of the character as appearing “ironical, brutal and cold” better than any actor since Mr. Connery. Mr. Craig’s Bond looks as if he has renewed his license to kill.

Like a lot of action films, the Bond franchise has always used comedy to blunt the violence and bring in big audiences. And, much like the franchise’s increasingly bloated action sequences, which always seem to involve thousands of uniformed extras scurrying around sets the size of Rhode Island, the humor eventually leached the series of its excitement, its sense of risk. Mr. Brosnan certainly looked the part when he suited up for “GoldenEye” in 1995, but by then John Woo and Quentin Tarantino had so thoroughly rearranged the DNA of the modern action film as to knock 007 back to zero. By the time the last Bond landed in 2002, Matt Damon was rearranging the genre’s elementary particles anew in “The Bourne Identity.”

“Casino Royale” doesn’t play as dirty as the Bourne films, but the whole thing moves far lower to the ground than any of the newer Bond flicks. If Mr. Campbell and his team haven’t reinvented the Bond film with this 21st edition, they have shaken (and stirred) it a little, chipping away some of the ritualized gentility that turned it into a waxworks.

Mr. Mikkelsen, who makes weeping blood into a fine spectator sport, Ms. Green brings conviction to the film, as do Jeffrey Wright and Isaach de Bankolé. Judi Dench is back as M, of course, with her stiff lip and cunning. But even she can’t steal the show from Mr. Craig.
  69. Dec 29, 2012
    I did not like this movie at all. The action scenes are waaaaaaaaaaaay too long, so long that you'll forget how and why they're even happening. Bond jumps all over the place, so much so that he reminds me more of Super Mario than anything else. The plot is difficult to appreciate, there's just nothing the viewer is able to relate to in this movie. The only bright spot is Judy Dench,I did not like this movie at all. The action scenes are waaaaaaaaaaaay too long, so long that you'll forget how and why they're even happening. Bond jumps all over the place, so much so that he reminds me more of Super Mario than anything else. The plot is difficult to appreciate, there's just nothing the viewer is able to relate to in this movie. The only bright spot is Judy Dench, who is wonderful in any role she plays. Maybe this movie is worth watching just for her scenes. Daniel Craig is good, too, but the movie doesn't take advantage of his strong screen presence. Hopefully Skyfall will be better? Expand
  70. Nov 12, 2012
    Everything, from the opening sequence to the finale is pure Bond, but unlike the past 30+ years, wrapped in a dose of reality with an emotional touch added to it. Final result - Best Bond movie period.
  71. Jan 3, 2015
    Why is this so highly praised is one of universe mysteries to me.
    Its one of the most boring dull stupid films I have ever watched in my entire life.
    I have never had to force myself to sit through a film with multiple pauses to breath and rest my brain from boredom. Only worse movie experience for me was "Give them hell Malone" its that bad. The black guy chasing scene...omfg...its so
    Why is this so highly praised is one of universe mysteries to me.
    The black guy chasing scene...omfg...its so long and so pointless and so stupid.
    Its not a Bond film, Craig is an ok actor but he's all the opposite of Bond. He looks like a construction worker, more like a bad guy from Bond films than main character. I got some feedback that he's attractive to women in that lumberjack sort of way so that's the appeal...ok, to each their own but Bond is not a lumberjack.
    Even as a "not Bond action film" its shallow uninteresting and stupid. Everything rolls around tracing cell phones, the main bad guy is totally forgettable, the plot is pointless...getting money for terrorism ( not something explicit but terrorism as an occupation maybe ? lol ) by playing high stakes poker..i mean wtf? who come up with that **** lol
    Only redeeming quality is Eva Green, beautiful woman ( not that great of on actress but still) but even she is poorly used.
  72. Aug 14, 2012
    Casino Royale is a welcome return to the super spy James Bond. After a four year long hiatus it was great to see him in action again. More a reboot/prequel to that all came before it, this movie goes to explain how Bond became who is today. The gritty, darker tone of the movie is refreshing for the series, if not a bit more Bourne than Bond. I must say I had my reservations of Daniel CraigCasino Royale is a welcome return to the super spy James Bond. After a four year long hiatus it was great to see him in action again. More a reboot/prequel to that all came before it, this movie goes to explain how Bond became who is today. The gritty, darker tone of the movie is refreshing for the series, if not a bit more Bourne than Bond. I must say I had my reservations of Daniel Craig being Mr. Bond, rest assured he makes a great performance, if a little more pouty than we're used too. The absence of gadgets is a minor grumble of mine, plot can be slightly confusing at times. The movie attempts to rouse emotion from the audience by the end of the movie however, with a twist so obviously coming, the emotion just wasn't there. Great, popcorn action fun. Expand
  73. Nov 17, 2012
    Maybe it's a little bit slow, but it's complex and "no-cliché" plot, with a spectacular acting from Daniel Craig makes Casino Royale the best James Bond film ever made.
  74. May 19, 2013
    Casino Royale is the best bond film since Goldfinger and Daniel Craig is the best bond since Sean Connery. The last four bond films starring Pierce Brosnan were all just 90 minute parades of badly choreographed car chases, way too many seemingly irrelevant gadgets and stuff blowing up. It was time for a change and Casino Royale effectively cleaned the slate.
  75. Apr 20, 2014
    Perhaps the best Bond film ever, and one of the best action films I've ever seen. It's grittier and more violent than the previous films, but it is purely entertaining.
  76. May 28, 2012
    This movie was as laughable as they come. They un-naturally included all the present trends at the time i.e. par-core and texas hold em (in which they in detail had to explain through script what was going on to heighten the atmosphere of the anti-climatic card game for those watching who didn't know even the basics of texas hold em.) And the scene where it's supposed to portray Bond as aThis movie was as laughable as they come. They un-naturally included all the present trends at the time i.e. par-core and texas hold em (in which they in detail had to explain through script what was going on to heighten the atmosphere of the anti-climatic card game for those watching who didn't know even the basics of texas hold em.) And the scene where it's supposed to portray Bond as a sex symbol women love and men want to be is a slow mow of him emerging from the ocean looking like a **** old man will get an audible hardy bellow every time. For the older generation Connery will always be untouchable, for mine its Bronson. And that's it/ This movie truly is hilarious. Best Comedy of 2006. Expand
  77. Dec 14, 2011
    Welcome back James! This is a movie I NEVER expected to see as a lifelong fan of 007. That is, a movie that is just as good as the classic Connery era films. And coming after the atrocious and embarrassing Die Another Day it came as even more of a pleasant surprise. Daniel Craig is an exceptional James Bond, part swaggering Connery, part intense Dalton. The action is exciting andWelcome back James! This is a movie I NEVER expected to see as a lifelong fan of 007. That is, a movie that is just as good as the classic Connery era films. And coming after the atrocious and embarrassing Die Another Day it came as even more of a pleasant surprise. Daniel Craig is an exceptional James Bond, part swaggering Connery, part intense Dalton. The action is exciting and thrilling, without any of the naff CGI used in the previous couple of films, and the story is one of very vintage Bond intrigue. The best Bond film in 30 years. Expand
  78. Dec 5, 2012
    Probably my favorite Bond movie ever. Amazing action sequences, great storyline, and even a good plot twist help make this film incredibly enjoyable.
  79. Dec 27, 2012
    Craig's introduction the the Bond role is filled with action, suspense, and a dark new take on James Bond himself. Easily the closest movie adaptation of Bond to Ian Fleming's novels, it shows that Bond can be edgy and dark, even gritty and outright cringe-worthy at times. To put it into perspective, Daniel Craig is the ANTI Roger Moore. He's dark, serious, emotionless, and brutal. JustCraig's introduction the the Bond role is filled with action, suspense, and a dark new take on James Bond himself. Easily the closest movie adaptation of Bond to Ian Fleming's novels, it shows that Bond can be edgy and dark, even gritty and outright cringe-worthy at times. To put it into perspective, Daniel Craig is the ANTI Roger Moore. He's dark, serious, emotionless, and brutal. Just like Ian Fleming's original adaptation. So if you prefer a lighter bond, he may not be for you. But if you love Fleming's Bond, you'll probably adore Craig. Expand
  80. Apr 2, 2016
    By all rights, 2002's Die Another Day should have and could have been the final James Bond film. It was packaged like a cynical, weary best-of concert coughed up by an aging dinosaur, offering copious nods to the franchise's past without bothering to offer any new material of consequence. Yet here we are, not only prolonging the franchise but at its very beginning: the third attempt toBy all rights, 2002's Die Another Day should have and could have been the final James Bond film. It was packaged like a cynical, weary best-of concert coughed up by an aging dinosaur, offering copious nods to the franchise's past without bothering to offer any new material of consequence. Yet here we are, not only prolonging the franchise but at its very beginning: the third attempt to perfect Casino Royale, the very first book in Ian Fleming's series, which began in 1953.

Set in the present day, this kinetic, character-driven take is nonetheless intended to serve as the origin story of 007—an introduction to the "mal-adjusted young man," as one love interest refers to him, who grows up to inherit a license to kill from Her Royal Highness.

And of course, Royale is intended to kick-start a moribund big-screen series that's had more low points than high. Yet to say Casino Royale ranks among the best Bond offerings is not intended as backhanded praise.

Absolutely it goes on too long, clocking in at 144 minutes, and absolutely half of the damned thing makes no sense at all, but beneath all the gimmicks and gadgets—chief among them a collection of cell phones capable of doing things of which Catherine Zeta-Jones never dreamed—is an actor who brings to Bond all the things he's lacked since Sean Connery fought the Cold War in a toupee.

Those who sweated and fretted Daniel Craig's casting in the role clearly never saw Layer Cake, a sort of gangster-fried warm-up to Bond. Craig, excellent in both art house endeavors (The Mother, Enduring Love) and blockbuster think pieces (Munich), has both a nasty streak and a soft side never before seen in the series; Fleming would recognize him as most like his literary creation: damaged goods in a tailored tux.

This Bond, unlike his smug, self-conscious predecessors, is a deadpan executioner with a penchant for letting his guard down too quickly. "I have no armor left," he tells this installment's love interest, British-treasury purse keeper Vesper Lynd (Eva Green), with whom Bond actually falls in love rather than merely into bed. This Bond's a rookie who makes mistakes that nearly lead to his death on several occasions—and to a torture sequence so simple yet so devious (and deviant) it makes Goldfinger's crotch laser seem tame. And this Bond has little interest in living up to the legend: When a bartender asks him if he'd like his martini shaken or stirred, Bond shoots back, "Do I look like I care?" In that instant, it's as if the part had never been anyone else's.

Adhering faithfully to the novel, writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade (now on their third Bond movie) and Crash's Paul Haggis offer the quintessential Bond plot. There's the oily Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen) with the slight disfigurement, in this case a scarred left eye that weeps blood. There's the story line, involving the funding of baddies trying to take over the world (terrorists, in this case, as opposed to yesteryear's Russians). And there's M (Judi Dench), the scolding boss always one moment away from revoking Bond's license.

There's also the bullet-gray Aston Martin, the high-stakes card game (Texas hold-'em, to appeal to the dorm room audience), the champagne-and-caviar romp with a villain's wife, the travel mag settings (the Bahamas, Miami, Prague), and all the other accoutrements that decorate the doings. We are starting over, but not from scratch. Bond fans don't want reinvention; they'll settle for rejuvenation.

Director Martin Campbell, who resurrected the franchise with GoldenEye upon the hiring of Pierce Brosnan 11 years ago, accomplishes the same thing again— tenfold. No Bond film has ever offered a chase sequence on par with the opening one here, during which Bond and a bomb maker scurry on foot all over Madagascar. It blends the raw materials of such free-running films as Ong-bak and District B13, in which characters gallop and soar through cityscapes like everyday supermen, with the archaic conventions of the franchise and refines the whole lot into something crisp, thrilling, and brand-new. And that is great praise to heap upon a 53-year-old character who you were just sure should have retired a long, long time ago.
  81. Nov 22, 2012
    A completely new take on the Bond franchise, Casino Royale reminds more of Bourne and Taken than the agent presented in the previous titles in the series. I really feel that this is a more convincing Bond and was a good thing to do as the ones before it have become way too cheesy and ridiculous (this is the first Bond I really enjoyed since Goldeneye). It is surprisingly violent, which IA completely new take on the Bond franchise, Casino Royale reminds more of Bourne and Taken than the agent presented in the previous titles in the series. I really feel that this is a more convincing Bond and was a good thing to do as the ones before it have become way too cheesy and ridiculous (this is the first Bond I really enjoyed since Goldeneye). It is surprisingly violent, which I do not fully appreciate, but the story is interesting and the action breath-taking. The question remains whether this is still James Bond or if the producers would have been better of naming it differently as it is a clear break with the established concept in fundamental ways. If you do not take the "Bond" aspect too seriously and grant the film the chance to do something new, this is a truly excellent film. Expand
  82. Oct 9, 2010
    This is the best Bond movie. Bond is thoroughly human: He's hit, he recoils. He cuts, he bleeds. The series had gone to absurd levels of incredulity through the Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan years. This movie brought the films back to a human scale, and it's all the more powerful. Daniel Craig dominates the movie as Bond.
  83. Mar 3, 2011
    An absolute complete waste of time. This film is terrible anybody who has rated this film as good is more than likely drunk on drugs or just plan retarded. Its the worst film I have ever seen. The director want to be shot as soon as possible Daniel Craig is just a joke (His acting is that of a 15 year old yob) and the rest is just a fail. I feel that strongly about this film that I haveAn absolute complete waste of time. This film is terrible anybody who has rated this film as good is more than likely drunk on drugs or just plan retarded. Its the worst film I have ever seen. The director want to be shot as soon as possible Daniel Craig is just a joke (His acting is that of a 15 year old yob) and the rest is just a fail. I feel that strongly about this film that I have created an account just to slate it. Destroyed the bong legacy, and replace it with rubbish!!!! I am disgusted Expand
  84. Jun 1, 2011
    Easily one of the best, is not the best, Bond films since the days of Connery. The dark and gritty tones are a welcome change of pace, and the story still manages to infuse humor in the right places, and in my opinion also in the right quantity. Easy 10.
  85. Oct 25, 2012
    Daniel Craig plays his James Bond well, but that is just it, it isn't the original oo7 James Bond that the world knows and loves, I am pretty sure that this movie breaks away from the original Bond universe and creates its own timeline. The removal of moneypenny and Q did make me mad, but on its own the movie was amazing, somehow it made me on the edge of my seat while watching a pokerDaniel Craig plays his James Bond well, but that is just it, it isn't the original oo7 James Bond that the world knows and loves, I am pretty sure that this movie breaks away from the original Bond universe and creates its own timeline. The removal of moneypenny and Q did make me mad, but on its own the movie was amazing, somehow it made me on the edge of my seat while watching a poker game, at least SkyFall will bring back Q. Daniel Craig is a good actor, but at times it seemed like he just froze and put on a dumb face. not showing any emotion when some should have been shown. If this is your first oo7 movie and you loved it, watch Quantum of Solace next, not the previous Bond films because they are very different from the newer ones. Expand
  86. Oct 28, 2015
    Easily the best Bond film of all time, but will not be fully appreciated for at least another 20 years. Daniel Craig offers a gritty performance with plenty of emotion and direction, while Eva Green as Vesper Lynd is terrific and someone the audience cares about. Faultless.
  87. BenJ.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Hats off to Daniel Craig for brining the right amount of (much needed) grit to the role. However his achievements, coupled with some great set pieces, are runied by a ridiculous running time, and a terribly hammy final quarter. Drop the drawn out ending, shave 40 minutes off the films length and you'd have a great film. Sadly, this is only average.
  88. JeffM.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Casino Royale is the best Bond film ever and Daniel Craig, as Bond, was awsome. I only wish we can see more of him as Bond in remakes.
  89. R.Nichols
    Apr 8, 2007
    Best Bond movie by far. Comparisons to Bourne Supremacy are right. Finally a Bond that's not a wimp, but a killer. Craig is the right actor for the role. Great casting. Hope the next Bond movie keeps with this new approach to Bond.
  90. Dave
    Apr 5, 2009
    Stupid. Boring. Sadistic. Implausible. Charmless. Illogical. Cheesy. Lame. Impossible, etc etc Personally i think we should nuke the earth, maybe a better species than humans will evolve, and movies like this never get past the moronic script stage.
  91. MaryD.
    Jan 26, 2010
    I enjoyed the action in this movie to make him more of a human event instead of a computer role. Thanks Daniel for your energy throughout the movie.
  92. NancyH.
    Nov 20, 2006
    A different kind of Bond...more real. Great action sequences but I think the Eva Green lacks the umph to catch Bond. They should have used the married woman in the movie as the lead female. Movie moves along nicely until 2/3 of the way in when we take a pause to watch Bond fall in love...not so believable especially knowing what he was recovering from. Good vein on the re-styling of Bond movies.
  93. Severian
    Nov 20, 2006
    I defnitely much prefer the intense, engaging and more personal Daniel Craig to the previous pretty boy Bond. The storyline is fine. (but the self help defibrillator bit is ludicrously unbelievable though). A good and refreshing facelift for the franchise.
  94. DrewF.
    Nov 20, 2006
    Best Bond film since "The Living Daylights" (So that's nearly 20 years!) I admit to being less then enthused when i first heard that Daniel Craig was selected to be the new Bond. I revoke ANY negativity i previously expressed. This guy is easily the best Bond since Sean Connery. Film has some sparkling banter between Bond and M, and Bond and Vesper. Movie starts off with one of the Best Bond film since "The Living Daylights" (So that's nearly 20 years!) I admit to being less then enthused when i first heard that Daniel Craig was selected to be the new Bond. I revoke ANY negativity i previously expressed. This guy is easily the best Bond since Sean Connery. Film has some sparkling banter between Bond and M, and Bond and Vesper. Movie starts off with one of the most exciting action sequences that the series has ever seen. Great performance by Mads Mikkelsen as the most believable and sympathetic Bond villain to come along in awhile. Great entry in the series. Expand
  95. JamesN.
    Jan 1, 2007
    More realistic than the previous Bond movies which have been too much like cartoons. Daniel Craig does a great job as Bond and the story and intro are great.
  96. JCampbell
    Oct 17, 2007
    The positive reviews of this picture reflects how shallow and frankly stupid people in general are creatively. First, Craig is all wrong for Bond. Since a lot of people are nothing but criminals, no wonder he appeals to them. And he's a poor actor, mumbling his lines. Violent movie from start to finish. The original story by the way has little resemblance to this mess. Should be The positive reviews of this picture reflects how shallow and frankly stupid people in general are creatively. First, Craig is all wrong for Bond. Since a lot of people are nothing but criminals, no wonder he appeals to them. And he's a poor actor, mumbling his lines. Violent movie from start to finish. The original story by the way has little resemblance to this mess. Should be titled "JAMES BOMB" Casino Royale is a Royale FLOP! Bond is supposed to be a gentleman GQ type. Suave yet physical. Roger Moore was perfect. Good-bye Cubby, too bad your kid drove Bond into the ground in just one movie. If you want to change everything-MAKE ANOTHER FILM! Sasino Royale was not the box-office success it hoped for, and the above reasons are why. Next time, hire the right actor for Bond, and stck with the story that has worked! Oh, the torture scenes-just great to watch, huh! Violent, sleazy movie with Bond an anti-hero criminal. Hmmm, how hip. Expand
  97. VeraR.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Brilliant! Absolutely loved it! Loved Daniel Craig's Bond - and that after I had been such a firm Pierce Brosnan-Bond fan. The opening scene was great and the action in Uganda was so tense. The Madagascar action was also brilliant! The only thing I really found extremely irritating and tedious were the initial "bickering" scenes with the accountant - she came across immature, too Brilliant! Absolutely loved it! Loved Daniel Craig's Bond - and that after I had been such a firm Pierce Brosnan-Bond fan. The opening scene was great and the action in Uganda was so tense. The Madagascar action was also brilliant! The only thing I really found extremely irritating and tedious were the initial "bickering" scenes with the accountant - she came across immature, too young and the age gap between them was just too big. The blond girl was also very forgettable. Expand
  98. CharlesT.
    Apr 10, 2007
    The best James Bond movie ever made. It is a great fresh movie. It shows the series by doing something something i would not have ever thought of in my whole life and that is creating Daniel Craig into the best Bond ever and making it a great movie.
  99. RichardK.
    Apr 1, 2007
    Waiting for this movie to come out on DVD is my mistake. I wish I saw this one on the large theatre screen. The most impresive Bond Movie in decades. Daniel Craig brings 007 back to someone we respect & love. This change in style was exactly what the Bond franchise needed to save itself. I can't wait to see the next one, this time at the Theatre .
  100. ChrisF
    May 14, 2007
    As a massive Bond fan this recent remake of the original book of Fleming's series fits the overall storyline extremely well. All of those who ive low ratings for no plot or a stop-start sequence, you are contradicting yourselves in your reviews, the film needed the slower poker sections to add tension and depth to the characters and the story, but adds the fast-paced action sequences As a massive Bond fan this recent remake of the original book of Fleming's series fits the overall storyline extremely well. All of those who ive low ratings for no plot or a stop-start sequence, you are contradicting yourselves in your reviews, the film needed the slower poker sections to add tension and depth to the characters and the story, but adds the fast-paced action sequences to bring about the necessary climax to each event. And for all those whining about the lack of the "usual" bond plot items, ie, the moneypenny scene, the gadgets, the corny one-liners; again these are not part of the plot, nor is it the bond of the story that is being told in this film, and for those that claim you are bond fans, you should understand this and appreciate it for what it is, even if it doesn't cover your checklist. For those complaining about the violence, it's unnecessary, it's too dark, too gory, etc; since when have we NEVER seen bond bleed? See Dalton, or Pierce, however, what we do see is an invincible Craig coming back to the table after a huge fight and again a poisoning! And then we see the suave, but still too young and inexperienced to be charming, coming back to match wits against his evil and over-the-top adversary, with plenty of glib comments, "that last hand almost killed me". How anyone could be blind enough to give this film less than 5 is beyond me, especially so-called "bond fans". The only thing left to say about the movie to prove all these confused nay-sayers wrong, is that people voteed with their wallets, making this film one of the top 40 (at least) ranked global grossing films of all time, leaving us with little to doubt, BRING ON BOND #22! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Nov 5, 2015
    Bond 21 is refreshed yet faithful, any grumbles easily quashed by Craig's powerful presence. The suit fits. And he wears it well.
  2. Reviewed by: Keith Uhlich
    Nov 5, 2015
    Casino Royale is one of the good ones and not just for the way it wittily recontextualizes several series touchstones.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Nov 5, 2015
    Casino Royale is just swell when Bond is busting up bathrooms in Prague, busting up embassies in Madagascar and busting a move in Nassau. But when he gets to, well, Casino Royale (here, in the former Yugoslav Republic of Montenegro), the film goes utterly flat.