Columbia Pictures | Release Date: November 17, 2006
Universal acclaim based on 1266 Ratings
1,107
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeMay 7, 2016
Isn't it sad that I never reviewed all of the James Bond films? I did review some of it, but that's just plain it. Casino Royale just proves that the modern James Bond films can be as excellent as the classic James Bond films.
SpangleFeb 28, 2016
Casino Royale was the first James Bond film I have ever seen and it really makes me excited to continue exploring this film franchise. The first film starring Daniel Craig as Bond, he knocks the role out of the park with a cool, calculatedCasino Royale was the first James Bond film I have ever seen and it really makes me excited to continue exploring this film franchise. The first film starring Daniel Craig as Bond, he knocks the role out of the park with a cool, calculated performance in which he oozes control and being, well, cool. The direction from Martin Campbell is assured and he sets the pace perfectly and really is in control of this film. The action sequences are thrilling and thoroughly exciting, as well as being well choreographed and adventurous. Additionally, the film is really well shot and soaks up the beauty of its exotic locations. The acting, as with Craig, is good and believable across the board. For my first Bond movie, I do not think I could have done much better than Casino Royale, as it left me not only entertained, but itching for more Bond. Expand
MovieGuysSep 26, 2013
Casino Royale is by far the best of the newest Bonds, with an exciting premise, masterful execution, and an overall Bond feel to it that is mesmerizingly good.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
"Casino Royale" is the story of, MI6 agent, James Bond's (Daniel Craig) first mission. Fresh off of receiving the coveted "007" status, Bond begins the long and elaborate task of bankrupting the world's top terrorist financier, Le Chiffre"Casino Royale" is the story of, MI6 agent, James Bond's (Daniel Craig) first mission. Fresh off of receiving the coveted "007" status, Bond begins the long and elaborate task of bankrupting the world's top terrorist financier, Le Chiffre (Mikkelson). Now, I am, proudly, a James Bond fan myself and when I had heard that they were going to reboot the franchise ala "Batman Begins"; I was elated. Because honestly the last few Bond films have been something off a showcase of silliness. After watching "Casino Royale" I can safely say that this film effectively restores the Bond film series, as well as the James Bond name, to everything that author Ian Fleming had originally intended. This film features one of the most dynamic portrayals of the character I've ever seen on film. Sure, everything from the previous films is there (the charm, wit, etc.), but Actor Daniel Craig brings some aspects to the character I've never seen before. He does a really profound job at accentuating just how much of a cold bastard 007 really is. Though he also does a good job at depicting the more loving side of Bond -like I said. . .dynamic. With all these different shades of Bond in tow, Craig creates, quite possibly, my favorite representation of the character. Eva Green does a fine job in her role as the beguiling treasury agent, Vesper Lynd. Green and Craig construct a deep kind of chemistry that I have yet to see any other Bond and "Bond-girl" develop on film. Also, cheers to Mads Mikkelson for playing one of the creepiest Bond-villains I've ever seen. In terms of technicalities, The camerawork is very clean, and editing is logical and accurate. The soundtrack utilizes the classic Bond Theme, but it also employs some extra nuances that I found to be quite suitable for the overall tone of the film. The screenplay is very well written, giving Bond some of the funniest lines I've ever heard his character say. The action is there too, as this movie features some of the coolest and most intimidating set pieces I've seen on film. I mean like some real "Uncharted-esque" stuff happens in this movie- pretty awesome. Anyways, I sincerely enjoyed "Casino Royale", for it re-establishes the James Bond franchise in a place that I feel is very fresh and provocative. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 31, 2014
Daniel Craig is a refreshing and exhilarating take on James Bond. Casino Royale proves that James Bond will continue to be a part of our lives for years to come.
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
The movie is a revolution to the Bond franchise. Mark Campbell presents to the audience that James Bond is not a hero who kills the bad guys and gets laid with girls using his gadgets and slick words. Using Daniel Craig, he presents a BondThe movie is a revolution to the Bond franchise. Mark Campbell presents to the audience that James Bond is not a hero who kills the bad guys and gets laid with girls using his gadgets and slick words. Using Daniel Craig, he presents a Bond that actually gets hurt and looses the ones he love. Through this change of portrayal, Bond has become a stronger character and a worthy franchise to watch. Kudos Campbell (and you too Craig)!!! Expand
Tss5078Feb 23, 2013
I've never been a fan of James Bond. Probably, because I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as 007 and he sucked. I decide to give the series another shot, not because of Bond, but rather Daniel Craig. I have been a fan of Craig's for some time,I've never been a fan of James Bond. Probably, because I grew up with Pierce Brosnan as 007 and he sucked. I decide to give the series another shot, not because of Bond, but rather Daniel Craig. I have been a fan of Craig's for some time, having seen several of the films from overseas. I knew then that he would be a huge action star and now he's 007. As for my first Bond movie, it was pretty good. Craig was fantastic and avoided much of the cliché Bond moments that most of us have come to loath. The film was entertaining, but also pretty predictable and much longer than it needed to be. I was also very unimpressed by the bad guys. I thought Bond villains were supposed to be classic, but these guys were rather forgettable. I'm not in love with the Bond character, but this film did open my eyes a little bit and I probably will check out Quantum of Solace in the near future. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
Craig nails Bond. He has the intensity of Connery, but a small vulnerability can be sensed as well, a vulnerability that wasn't sensed when Connery was on screen. Craig may be the best Bond yet.
imthenoobJan 2, 2013
Great action, Good story, and good acting by the cast. Daniel Craig is a great Bond and may even be the best Bond yet. Loved watching this movie and would highly recommend it.
TokyochuchuOct 26, 2012
Casino Royale is one of the best 007 movies. Daniel Craig makes for an excellent Bond, lending both raw emotion and ice-cold psychopathic detachment all in one go. That's quite a feat! The blistering action, stunning locations and gorgeousCasino Royale is one of the best 007 movies. Daniel Craig makes for an excellent Bond, lending both raw emotion and ice-cold psychopathic detachment all in one go. That's quite a feat! The blistering action, stunning locations and gorgeous woman don't hurt the experience either. Expand
CineAutoctonoJan 14, 2016
Once I could dare to see the first James Bond film with Daniel Craig, and at first he did very well in terms of heroic and romantic tone player . Daniel Craig all the chips and juice make it, now I can only wait and Spectre Quantum of SolaceOnce I could dare to see the first James Bond film with Daniel Craig, and at first he did very well in terms of heroic and romantic tone player . Daniel Craig all the chips and juice make it, now I can only wait and Spectre Quantum of Solace , the first James Bond was excellent, the action, and thriling scenes and especially opening credits you are incredible. Expand
FranzHcriticNov 12, 2013
Not entirely faithful to the amazing, classic novel of Ian Fleming, 007 is saved by the blunt Daniel Craig, who adds an even tougher image to Bond then Connery had made. Gritty action while maintaining sophisticated dialogue and beautifulNot entirely faithful to the amazing, classic novel of Ian Fleming, 007 is saved by the blunt Daniel Craig, who adds an even tougher image to Bond then Connery had made. Gritty action while maintaining sophisticated dialogue and beautiful women, that's the type of Bond movie I like. Expand
oxanaAug 28, 2014
I am not a big fan of Bond movies, but this one actually captured my interest and approval. Mr. Bond is, for once, very human. He bleeds, stumbles, and pants for air. He fails and falls.

The action and wickedness of the movie keeps you on

The action and wickedness of the movie keeps you on your toes to the very end of the movie. And (at least in my humble opinion) for once the Bond girl(s) are pretty human, too. Not those overly pretty, overly cocky kind of women who are just there to look good, and to fall into 007's clutches without even a snap of fingers from the said man (okay, so maybe they were a little easy... and one of them so disposable they could have completely gone without her...).
worleyjamersJun 2, 2013
One of the most surprising and satisfying films I've ever seen. Not only is this a great Bond movie, it may very well be the best Bond movie. Brilliant.
eagleeyevikingDec 13, 2013
Casino Royale rejuvenates the Bond franchise with a beautifully crafted film complete with wit, emotion, plot and of course, enthralling action sequences.
StevenFFeb 18, 2013
I bet the big wigs at MGM are laughing and making crude gestures to all the doubters who petitioned to have Daniel Craig removed as the new Bond, and they should be, because there was no mistake, and what has been crafted one of the mostI bet the big wigs at MGM are laughing and making crude gestures to all the doubters who petitioned to have Daniel Craig removed as the new Bond, and they should be, because there was no mistake, and what has been crafted one of the most flawless films in the past decade. This is not the Bond everybody knows, gone are the gadgets of Brosnan or the suave of Connery,not only does Casino Royale basically cancel out the rest, as Bond has yet to receive his '00' status, but it creates a whole new type of character that we have not yet seen. The opening black and white scene paints a very different agent to what we are accustomed to..fist fighting with a man in a toilet, beating each other senseless and slamming each other into sinks until Bond eventually drowns his victim, this is a new, dark and gritty direction that is brilliant in every way.
Judi Dench returns as a more centered and grounded M, who tasks Bond with infiltrating the terrorist operation of Le Chiffre (Mals Mikkelsen) who employs a bomb maker that Bond chases in a breathtaking parkour scene through a construction site.
After Bond foils Le Chiffre's terrorist attempt in a Miami airport, he is entered into a poker game involving Le Chiffre to attempt to bankrupt him to the end of MI6 using him to bring down a terrorist organisation.
With Eva Green taking the female lead as Vesper Lynd, this is a Bond film that is very much human, with touches of realism that paint a very different picture, he bleeds, he is reckless, and doesn't seem to give a damn about anything, and the writing team have taken on this leap to show Bonds complete disregard for what we are use to like the utter destruction of a brand new Aston Martin, ("Shaken or Stirred?" "Do I look like I give a damn?")
Daniel Craig portrays a man who has the skill set and aura of Jason Bourne, but with a vulnerable state of insecurity and isolation.There is enough action to rival the biggest of blockbusters, with carefully choreographed scenes and brilliant set pieces including an airport chase along the runway, it can't be stressed enough that Craig is portraying a very serious and realistic 'operative', and not a 'secret agent'.
Not only is this the best Bond movie in its long history, but also one of the best films to appear this decade.
diogomendesAug 6, 2015
Pretty great restart to one of the most iconic characters, "Casino Royale" ranks among one of the strongest James Bond's outings, mostly because of entertaining action and talented performances.
horcrux2007Apr 16, 2016
I'm not a huge James Bond fan, but I like a good spy thriller, and Daniel Craig's Bond movies have been some of the best in the past few years. I went back to his first Bond outing, Casino Royale, which is arguably Craig's best. In CasinoI'm not a huge James Bond fan, but I like a good spy thriller, and Daniel Craig's Bond movies have been some of the best in the past few years. I went back to his first Bond outing, Casino Royale, which is arguably Craig's best. In Casino Royale, James Bond has been armed with a license to kill and goes out on his first mission as 007 where he must defeat a weapons dealer in a high stakes game of poker. This movie serves as a reboot of the Bond franchise and shows a new story arc for Craig's Bond, so we see a more vulnerable and less experienced James Bond. There are still some ridiculously fantastic action sequences to behold, but it's obvious that he's not nearly as sharp as he will come to be. The action scenes aren't even the best part of the movie though. The second act takes place almost entirely around a poker table, changing from a spy movie to a more contained thriller. It's suspenseful and incredibly well acted. Casino Royale gives one of the more memorable Bond movies that I've ever seen and set up Craig for a great run in the role. Expand
axelkochNov 2, 2012
Simply the best Bond of all times. Also if Daniel Craig isn't the best actor I could imagine for this role, this is subordinate because of the great supporting actors. Eva Green is fetchingly good and Mads Mikkelsen as the antagonist is alsoSimply the best Bond of all times. Also if Daniel Craig isn't the best actor I could imagine for this role, this is subordinate because of the great supporting actors. Eva Green is fetchingly good and Mads Mikkelsen as the antagonist is also very well played. The whole film consists of so much rememberable action scenes, every single one is just awesome! The long break between this and the last Bond was essential, with the new techniques there are better visual and audio effects, that improve the whole movie quite much. 'Casino Royale' is a legendary story, the ending is absolutely great and I also enjoyed the poker game. It's a little step away from being a perfect action movie, but is surely one of the best I've seen in years and everything just works in this film. Simply awesome! Expand
drlowdonAug 12, 2013
Over the years Bond movies had become a little cheesy and so director Martin Campbell reinvents the spy in a grittier and more realistic portrayal taking audiences right back to the start.

The opening chase sequence must rank amongst the

The opening chase sequence must rank amongst the best movie openings in cinema history and will instantly grab the attention of most viewers. Fortunately the rest of the movie is almost as entertaining striking a good balance between developing Bond's character and including the car chases and explosions one would expect. Importantly Daniel Craig is also very good in his first Bond outing making Casino Royale a thrilling two hours of cinema.
MrMovieBuffOct 29, 2015
I remember when this movie was first released and that Daniel Craig was going to play Bond, there was controversy and backlash due to the fact that Craig did not meet everybody's needs as he looked nothing like the Bond we all imagined.

I

I had very low expectations with this movie, thinking that it was just going to be a routine Bond film with dumb action, endless gadgets and gimmicks, just like the Pierce Brosnan Bonds were becoming shortly after his debut in 'Goldeneye' (1995).

It seems my disappointment was non-existent, 'Casino Royale' is easily the best Bond movie since 'Goldeneye' (1995), which was also directed by Martin Campbell. This is a much grittier movie with a more vulnerable and human Bond. A character who was once two-dimensional, a character who had nothing but a fancy car, gadgets and women now has personality. This is thanks to Craig's performance mixed with a smart screenplay written by Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and Paul Haggis.

Mads Mikkelsen plays LeChiffre, the main villain in the movie who also has a slice of vulnerability unlike most Bond villains. He is sadistic, but he is also hurt. You have Eva Green as Vesper, James' associate throughout the movie, as a Bond girl, she is one of the best. There is also some vulnerability there as well. All of these characters are human, they are not stereotypes, they are not weighed down by cliches, this movie and the characters are all fresh.

'Casino Royale' is also the first Bond novel written by Ian Fleming and the movie is seen as a reboot for the character and franchise. It makes sense to go back to the drawing board and use the first ever book to re-invent the franchise. The only thing missing in this movie are the characters Q and Moneypenny, but it seems that you can make a Bond movie without them, as long as you add some more depth and dimension to the characters you are focusing on.

'Casino Royale' is great, one of the best Bonds ever. Darker, more personal and more tense than previous outings. The only movie after this that lived up to expectations is 'Skyfall' (2012) which I already reviewed. 'Casino Royale' deserves its 10/10 score.
aadityamudharApr 18, 2016
Easily one of the best, is not the best, Bond films since the days of Connery. The dark and gritty tones are a welcome change of pace, and the story still manages to infuse humour in the right places, and in my opinion also in the rightEasily one of the best, is not the best, Bond films since the days of Connery. The dark and gritty tones are a welcome change of pace, and the story still manages to infuse humour in the right places, and in my opinion also in the right quantity. Easy 10. Expand
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
Casino Royale is one bad ass Bond film. It is Daniel Craig's introduction as Bond, and what an introduction it is. With great villains, an epic opening chase scene, great action, great performances, and beautiful locales Casino Royale is a fun ride.
spadenxDec 31, 2011
I enjoyed it and it's pretty much a given that every Bond film staring the new Bond is gonna be good. The huge problems the film had is that it took quite a bit to get into and to get interesting. Also it did a poor job going from action toI enjoyed it and it's pretty much a given that every Bond film staring the new Bond is gonna be good. The huge problems the film had is that it took quite a bit to get into and to get interesting. Also it did a poor job going from action to drama. Besides that, It was still a good action film and Daniel Craig is one of the best Bonds yet. Expand
MovieMasterEddyApr 7, 2016
Daniel Craig as "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007," and Craig comes closer to the author's original conception of this exceptionally long-lived male fantasy figure than anyone since early Sean Connery. "Casino Royale" sees Bond recharged withDaniel Craig as "Ian Fleming's James Bond 007," and Craig comes closer to the author's original conception of this exceptionally long-lived male fantasy figure than anyone since early Sean Connery. "Casino Royale" sees Bond recharged with fresh toughness and arrogance, along with balancing hints of sadism and humanity, just as the fabled series is reinvigorated by going back to basics.

Bond made his debut in “Casino Royale” when it was published in 1953, and while the novel was adapted the following year for American television (Barry Nelson played Bond) and in 1967 became a lame all-star spy send-up featuring Peter Sellers, David Niven and Woody Allen, it remained unavailable to the Eon producers until now.

As refashioned for this 21st series installment, the novel’s focus on a high-stakes cards showdown doesn’t kick in for an hour. But Craig’s taking over as the sixth actor to officially portray the secret agent on the bigscreen (not including that first “Casino”) provides a plausible opportunity to examine the character’s promotion to double-0 status, which is neatly done in a brutal black-and-white prologue in which he notches his first two kills.

After the pic bleeds into color, Bond pursues a would-be suicide bomber in a madly acrobatic chase through an African construction site, at the end of which he happens to be filmed killing an apparently, if not in fact, unarmed man in images instantly disseminated on the Internet, to the enormous embarrassment of MI6. Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Bond.

Doubling the displeasure of his boss M (Judi Dench happily back for her fifth turn) by surreptitiously entering her flat, Bond ignores her reprimand by high-tailing it to the Bahamas, itself a nice throwback to the film series’ origins in “Dr. No.” Following a cell phone trail of potential terrorist bombers, Bond tracks one, then another in Miami, where an evening that begins at a “Bodyworks” exhibition ends with a high-speed tarmac battle in which the fate of the world’s biggest new jetliner hangs in the balance.

Even by this early juncture, the pic has emphatically announced its own personality. It’s comparatively low-tech, with the intense fights mostly conducted up close and personally, the killings accomplished by hand or gun, and without an invisible car in evidence; Bond is more of a lone wolf, Craig’s upper-body hunkiness and mildly squashed facial features giving him the air of a boxer; 007’s got a frequently remarked upon ego, which can cause him to recklessly overreach and botch things, and the limited witticisms function naturally within the characters’ interchanges.

As matters advance to the Continent, elements even more unusual in the Bond world of late, comprehensible plotting and palpable male-female frissons, move to the fore. Bond’s enemy is not a Mr. Evil type plotting world domination, but a financier of international terrorism, Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen), who needs to make financial amends by winning a big-pot poker game at the casino in fictional Montenegro. Bond plans to break Le Chiffre for good at the gambling table, and to this end he is fronted $10 million delivered by a most alluring messenger, Vesper Lynd (Eva Green), assigned to keep tabs on the coin.

Their initial meeting on board a Euro fast train fairly crackles with a sexual undercurrent as they perceptively size one another up. But Vesper intends to maintain a professional distance from her temporary colleague, whose contest of wills and luck with Le Chiffre in the hushed confines of a private gaming room is repeatedly interrupted during breaks by spasms of violence and attempts on Bond’s life.

Yarn does tend to go on a bit once it sails past the two-hour mark, but final stretch contains two indelible interludes crucial to defining this new incarnation of Bond. Constrained nude to a bottomed-out chair, Bond is tortured by Le Chiffre who repeatedly launches a hard-tipped rope upon his nemesis’ most sensitive area, and Craig once and for all claims the character as his own by virtue of the supreme defiance with which he taunts Le Chiffre even in vulnerable extremis. Later, the startling, tragic turn in Bond’s relationship with Vesper provides a measure of understanding for his rake-like tendencies down the line.

Script by series vets Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, along with Paul Haggis, hangs together reasonably well and is rewarded for its unaccustomed preoccupation with character by the attentiveness to same by director Martin Campbell, back after having helmed the first Brosnan entry, “GoldenEye,” 11 years ago.

“Casino Royale” is the first Bond in a while that’s not over-produced, and while the score by David Arnold, in his fourth Bond outing, is very good, the title song, “You Know My Name,” sung by Chris Cornell over disappointingly designed opening credits, is a dud.
asylumspadezNov 26, 2011
Daniel Craig is a great addition to the many actors that played Bond before him and he was wonderful in this film. It can get a little dull but overall the action sequences and the film as a whole was well worth watching and one of the bestDaniel Craig is a great addition to the many actors that played Bond before him and he was wonderful in this film. It can get a little dull but overall the action sequences and the film as a whole was well worth watching and one of the best in the Bond series. Expand
SwatiMar 22, 2013
Certainly the best Bond movie I've seen. Craig's portrayal of 007 is refreshing. The action and suspense was plenty, and so was engaging dialogue. The sequence at the casino was riveting. The acting all around was quite good. I had a greatCertainly the best Bond movie I've seen. Craig's portrayal of 007 is refreshing. The action and suspense was plenty, and so was engaging dialogue. The sequence at the casino was riveting. The acting all around was quite good. I had a great time all the way. Bond came across as very human, and I found myself caring about his fate for the first time. He was upfront, brutal and effective as a true agent would be, not a pretentious snob like he was displayed to be by Brosnan. The balance between action, dialogue, plot and romance was well maintained. Expand
oDjentoDec 18, 2015
Gritty, realistic and a superb mixture of action and suspense, this is perhaps one of the best Bond films. True, the best parts are the start and the casino portion of the film onward, but Daniel Craig's engaging performance as the blondeGritty, realistic and a superb mixture of action and suspense, this is perhaps one of the best Bond films. True, the best parts are the start and the casino portion of the film onward, but Daniel Craig's engaging performance as the blonde Bond is truly breathtaking. Excellently cast villain as well. Expand
Andys_ReviewsOct 7, 2012
There is quite a lot of action before things focus on the Casino; all of this is well done and features much of the stunt work in the film. I have to say it does appear to get a little lost once the main focus of the film is established. OnceThere is quite a lot of action before things focus on the Casino; all of this is well done and features much of the stunt work in the film. I have to say it does appear to get a little lost once the main focus of the film is established. Once we do get there the scenes in and around the Casino are quite compelling and it is here that we actually get a feeling for how Daniel Craig portrays Bond. He has vulnerabilities that make him appear more human and this in turn gives the audience a chance to understand his motivations. I must admit I really enjoyed Craig Expand