8.4

1. Mar 23, 2011
    Just when you think you've had enough of Martin Scorcese's gangster movies, comes this captivating new thrill - Casino! Scorcese has Robert de Niro subtle, meticulous, and ruthless, Joe Pesci is every inch the tough-guy gangster who never backs down, but has a temper that is rather too immature and loose. Sam Rothstein (de Niro's character) is efficient and serves his bosses well - he's always sending the goodies back home! Sharon Stone's Ginger is a wreck, drug-induced, unstable, irrational, and apparently, very stupid. Now, how did she lure Rothstein's cool cat personality to fall for her? That's everyday life for you - the smart, cool ones do fall for those types - beautiful, with a personality and body to match, until the gold sheens off the statuette day by day. Pesci's fight scenes are brutal, but real. There is no pretence in these scenes - there is enough violence in the world to disguise such brutal depictions on celluloid. I enjoyed the desert scene, when Rothstein captures the essence in his narration as Pesci's character races through the desert - you didn't know what you could get from Pesci's character. Casino is just a magnificently handled subject, Scorcese has not gone over the top or over-done it, it's impeccably handled, the actors are just apt in their parts, and it is just fascinating to see how the gulf spreads between de Niro and Pesci's characters. Thumps up for Casino - if I may dare say it, it surpasses Goodfellas in its power and impact, and ultimately overpowers Scorcese's later movie, The Departed. Yes it does, I'm betting on it....with Sam Rothstein's back-from-the-dead character on the line! Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2011
    Martin Scorsese's "Casino" is good looking and slick in structure with plenty of good actors performing. However, I didn't watch the whole movie; I knew nothing was going to change during the whole movie.
  3. Jan 9, 2011
    Just looking at the trailer might seem enough to dismiss Casino as a companion piece to Goodfellas. Sure the argument has a basis. Pesci pretty much repeats his short-tempered mobster from Goodfellas. Both films have similar eclectic rock backgrounds (including heavy usage of Rolling Stones songs). Plus the f-bomb is dropped pretty frequently. Yet Casino still has some positive points to help it stand on its own. From the great writing to the beautiful cinematography, Casino isn't a slapped-together and hastily-made effort. It is a great film with a great story that starts off on a documentary-esque note but slowly reveals itself as the gritty crime drama Scorsese fans fervently crave. The cast is great too. Pesci (who really is the only one who can play short-tempered gangsters like Nicky Santoro) and Stone (surprisingly) shine in their roles. But it is De Niro that deserves the cake as Ace Rothstein as he gives an exceptional performance showing emotion while smoothly restricting it with inner power.
    Of course, there are some scenes in Casino that feel overdone with language and/or violence to the point where the scene looks comedic. Plus there are scenes that kind of allude to Goodfellas (especially the Pesci beatdown scene) since actors from the former film are reused in Casino. And that kind of ruins some of the original magic that Casino holds, as it isn't a wholly new film. Nonetheless, the Scorsese-De Niro-Pesci trio rock well, regardless of the flaws.
  4. Feb 10, 2011
    This is a great movie, not the best in the gangster genre, but still great. Unlike a lot of gangster movies though, this doesn't focus on the mafia nearly as much as it could. As you may have guessed from the title it's about a Casino. This movie is entertaining, intelligent and good doses of violence too.
  5. Aug 22, 2011
    A great movie that manages to be quite the original when it comes to gangsta types. It doesn`t come off as nearly repetitive as "The Godfellas", even though we`ve seen Presci and De Niro in many such films. This is in a huge part achieved by major role by Sharon Stone, who exceeds all expectations. There is nothing simple about her character. She never comes off as simply bad or good. Sometimes you understand her fears, sometimes you condemn her. Nevertheless, she made her own plot in this movie. From others we see the same excellent actor work, though I liked the Rothstein`s character a lot more than in other such productions. This is because he never stopped being human. At some point he even enjoys the gangster life completely, although he always chooses the more in between solutions. Joe Pesci did the rest by creating an excellent villain, though sometimes also a bit confused. The music, the camera work also excellent. Almost 3 hours of sheer virtuosity. Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2012
    Fifteen years after its release, Casino remains one of Martin Scorcese's tightest and most focused films to date. The narrative flows beautifully, driven by misplaced trust, greed, and betrayal. The dialogue is sharp and delivered flawlessly by an absolutely brilliant cast. Robert de Niro gives what I consider to be his finest performance since Taxi Driver, absolutely nailing the role and outshining his co-stars. Joe Pesci also does well, and as usual he and de Niro have great on-screen chemistry. Despite being three hours long, every scene feels natural and necessary, with no real filler. While I don't consider it to be better than Goodfellas, it is still an incredible film in its own right. Expand
  7. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  8. Aug 16, 2010
    LOL I really think DavidH nailed it. Usually this is where I'd lay into an overrated frat-boy standby, but I come to this page only to find that I've been preempted.
  9. Feb 7, 2011
    The progress of storyline is quite bad : too many disorganized switches of narrations and scenes; however, the movie is still good for Sharon Stone's performance.
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    Out of all the gangster films - The godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas, Carlito's Way - none of them managed to get across how frightening it can be to trust some people in the same way. The length is not unnecessary - all of it is used to develop the story and characters with excellent narration and acting. You see a film like Scarface and it's mostly just a montage - a brilliant one, but nevertheless too much jumping around. However, Casino manages to get the story across in a very believable way. The personal issues are so deeply explored, and the fact that Robert De Niro is a "good guy" really adds an extra perspective. In every other film, everyone ends up being a baddy and gets whacked or goes to jail. But in this one, it was interesting to see the story from two perspectives - De Niro's and Pesci's. The two actors suited their characters' roles perfectly, and the pacing was inline with how quickly one can imagine events developed. The rise, the top and the fall all got their relative share of the action according to how long they last. Best of all, the movie was not about doing crime for the sake of it - it was actually mostly about business and not killing people randomly with a few deals being used as a cover-up. The direction and general style of story and development etc. are almost identical to Goodfellas, so if you enjoyed that this is definitely worth watching as well. Expand
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    Scorsese's epic true story about how the mafia build Vegas, is as close to a perfect movie as I have ever seen! The story is just so good and you will be hard pressed to ever find a better pair of performances than the ones by Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. I love this film, I loved it the first time I saw it, and I loved it the hundredth time I saw it. Casino follows a pair of gangsters who earned their reputations in Las Vegas in two very different ways. De Niro is Ace Rothstein, the man with the plan. He always made money, but since he was Jewish, he was never fully trusted. Pesci is of course, Nicky Santoro, the tough guy who says seven thousand times, while doing things his own way. Everything about this movie is pure genius. It's on my top ten list and I suspect will always have its place. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    Like many of Martin Scorsese's films, Casino is non-formulaic. It shows us snip-its of what's going on, many snip-its. Some are better than others, but Casino's purpose isn't to tell a story, it's to study a group of people, and that it does with professional excellency.
  13. Mar 5, 2014
    Scorsese keeps coming back to the same theme and subject matter_ debauchery and its pitfalls. And he has found himself actors who are able to convey his message effectively. Casino deals with this subject in the business of gambling.

Sam Rothstein (Robert De Niro) is doing good running a casino for the Mafia in 1970s Las Vegas. Things get tricky as first Ginger (Sharon Stone) and then
    Nicky (Joe Pesci) come into his life. They're both unstable and careless, and have no vision for their futures like Sam has. Their antics get him into trouble time and again.

Like Scorsese's other movies, the plot takes a backstage to the characters and their personal quirky moments. He instead relies on multiple voice-overs to propel the plot forward. The plot does thicken with time, and not for good. It felt like he wasn't sure if he should concentrate on the characters or the plot development. Goodfellas found that balance ingeniously, so did his later movie The Wolf of Wall Street, both of which deal with the same themes.

The acting was sufficient, I suppose. De Niro does a decent enough job. Pesci's character is too similar to the one he played in Goodfellas. In essence, he is a character actor. Sharon Stone also did a good job.

I couldn't feel excited during a single scene in the entire movie. There was no sense of danger and urgency, despite the breakneck pacing. The film was just a scene after scene of greed, violence and narration. It got old after a while.

The production design, which brought the 1970s to life, did a wonderful job. The same camera angles were used as were in Goodfellas. The camera zooms in on people's faces the same way.

I found the movie a bit underwhelming. I felt like Scorsese wasn't done with the subject that he started out to tell in Goodfellas, and hence returned to it. He should have just made a single movie about it, or he should have made this one so different from the first that no one could have found any similarities.
  14. Jan 22, 2014
    Casino is a 3 hours entry to Martin Scorsese world, it's a journey in which you'll feel excited and happy the entire time, even with all the crimes, all the dirty events that's been going on.
    it's simply put a masterpiece with all it's element from the A-list cast to the screenplay to all the little things that the movie address, and as a movie critic i try to find a spot when the movie
    drops a little bit out of shape but i didn't find anything, that's why it's a masterpiece and it's even more entertaining than Goodfellas. Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2014
    Casino lays out it game plan, and then reels us into the gambling empire Scorcese has created. It is a bit scattered at first, but it gets its chips together and plays its cards right, for the most part. Eventually, the film goes off on tangents for certain storylines, and others get left dry. But in the end, the movie comes together and almost all loose ends are tied up. Casino will pass as one of Scorcese's longest pictures, but definitely not his best. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2014
    Martin Scorsese gangster movies never get old. Yes it does have Joe Pesci once again playing a crazy gangster but he delivers again. Robert De Niro is charismatic as Sam Rothstein and Sharon Stone gives one of her best performances
  17. Jun 26, 2014
    Casino is one of Scorsese's smartest movies. The action, meticulousness of the storyline and Scorsese's trademark directing and usual actors are apparent throughout the movie. The movie dismantles how a casino works in every detail while being very entertaining simultaneously. One of the best crime dramas made and every actor was at the top of their game in the movie. Casino is equalled by few crime movies and every moment of the movie is fascinating and dazzling as cinematic experiences go, an instant classic. Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2011
    Almost an exact duplicate of Goodfellas only this time Joe Pesce has some weird, contrived accent. I feel like Scorsese could rattle off this kind of footage all day, and I would watch, but I've already had my fill.
  19. Dec 8, 2013
    Although Casino is not a bad movie, it fails to thrill like Goodfellas does. Robert de Niro acting great, while Sharon Stone is indeed good but nothing outstanding and Joe Pesci playing his Goodfellas character all over again.
  20. Jul 2, 2014
    Nobody knows how to make a good gangster film like Martin Scorsese and he shows that ability here. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were phenomenal here as expected and, though I heard evidence to the contrary, I never thought the violence was too much. For the most part, it was relatively tame compared to other films I have seen. In addition, the story was very good and never failed to be completely engrossing. The characters were well crafted and their arcs very interesting to follow. There were a lot of them, sure, but it was never too overwhelming. In addition, the true story aspect of this made the story really work and I can see why Scorsese was drawn to this, as it feels like a very Scorsese film, as thematically it is similar to many of his other works. For the most part, it felt a bit like Goodfellas in a casino, but I did not really mind that. The only thing that really stuck out to me was the narration. I think the story could have been told without it and the narration, at times, could distract from the story. However, otherwise, this was a pretty easy one to watch, even with it being three hours long. Expand
  21. Sep 14, 2014
    Casino is a classic mafia themed movie with a well known cast, interesting story and cool action.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  22. Sep 14, 2014
    One of my favourite crime dramas, Casino is flawless it is a triumph for Scorsese and the crime genre.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
  23. Sep 14, 2014
    A terrific crime drama on the level of Goodfellas, the cast is great and the movie is very well made.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several flaws, mostly minor, keep Casino on a plateau slightly below that of the director's best (Mean Streets, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas).
  2. It's an ambitious film -- but also a scattered, unfocused one.
  3. Simultaneously quite watchable and passionless.