Cast Away

6.5

1. CaseyA.
    Jun 15, 2001
    I think your all a bunch of jealous idiots! This movie is very moving and it proves one thing........REALITY!! If you are mad because Helen Hunt didn't up and leave her husband when hanks returned you really should stick to watching Fox network sitcoms! Gosh I am sick of hearing stupid reviews from ignorant people that want the same damn movie over and over!
  2. EvanT
    May 11, 2009
    what an awesome and riveting movie. Its been a long time since a flick help me in total captivity the entire time and gave me goose bumps. A genius movie. outstanding!
  3. MattW.
    Aug 4, 2001
    How many times have you been anxious to do or see something? Can you remember thinking 'it's taking forever for this thing to happen?' Now you look back and think of how great a time you had. This movie is like finding hope in the waiting period and it tells something about life. Whatever it is you are waiting for will come. You just need to be patient and wait till the How many times have you been anxious to do or see something? Can you remember thinking 'it's taking forever for this thing to happen?' Now you look back and think of how great a time you had. This movie is like finding hope in the waiting period and it tells something about life. Whatever it is you are waiting for will come. You just need to be patient and wait till the time is right and take advatage of it because "You never know what the tide may bring." Expand
  4. CraigC.
    Sep 18, 2001
    This Is One Of The Best Movies Ever,The Story Is Well Played Out, Its A Two Hour Movie However It Never Drags Out. Buy It!
  5. BitBurn
    Mar 9, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years! The storyline is remarkable. What struck me the most is that there was no background music at all when his plane went down and the time spent on his island. Then when he left, the music returned, as he was looking away! A very beautiful movie from start to finish. However, a warning for all you action-packed movies, this one is One of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years! The storyline is remarkable. What struck me the most is that there was no background music at all when his plane went down and the time spent on his island. Then when he left, the music returned, as he was looking away! A very beautiful movie from start to finish. However, a warning for all you action-packed movies, this one is not for you. Expand
  6. Nikki
    Jul 14, 2001
    It is surprisingly good...better than I thought it would be. A must-see.
  7. DarcyC
    Nov 24, 2007
    This movie is one of the greatest. So emotional to me, the 2 hours past in no time. I love this movie.
  8. Nov 14, 2010
    I love this movie, Tom Hanks was awesome! I think this movie ir very realistic, one of the best perfomance of Tom Hanks!! the storyline is just incredible, A must-see movie
  9. Mar 23, 2011
    Tom Hanks is mesmerising in Cast Away, but the overall high marks should go to director Robert Zemeckis, who, for me, is one of the insightful directors out there. The airplane crash scene, with the haunting noise of the swirling plane, the virtually realistic performance of the plane crew, especially Hanks' fright, is just an amazingly directed AND choreographed scene. Was it right forTom Hanks is mesmerising in Cast Away, but the overall high marks should go to director Robert Zemeckis, who, for me, is one of the insightful directors out there. The airplane crash scene, with the haunting noise of the swirling plane, the virtually realistic performance of the plane crew, especially Hanks' fright, is just an amazingly directed AND choreographed scene. Was it right for Helen Hunt's character to move on? Absolutely. Zemeckis has lent true validity to her character - she may have moved on, but she's still caring enough to keep every track of her boyfriend's voyage, from the time he got on the plane to the time he came back to the civilized world. I especially enjoyed the movie soundtrack theme during the "Wilson, I'm sorry" part - it was just apt. No overblowing orchestral music, just the right mix for a moving, serious film. We all have our fantasies - what if we were stranded alone on a remote island, without nothing to eat or drink? Hanks does it impeccably....it's totally understandable and reasonable for him to learn to break a coconut in half, sip water from a leaf, go exploring his new surrounding, or learn how to make fire. I was fascinated by how the story built up - and impressed by how Zemeckis keeps our eyes on the screen by simply focussing on Nolan, and not in how the world back home might have been reacting. The movie might be a fantasy-theme, but in no scene does it venture into the unknown, or the unrealistic - it is as normal as one would probably find themselves in, if one were alone in that environment. I recommend it very much - not in the least the penultimate scene when Nolan drives into his ex-girlfriend's house in a rainy evening. The characters do apt justice to their roles, how would you feel if the person whose dreams sustained you in that remote island for four years has now moved on, had a family of her own? Hanks and Hunt are just brilliant in their characters. Cast Away is a brilliant movie - watch it for positivity and optimism, not with scepticism or negativity - it is highly moving and uplifiting. I should know - it is one of my wife's favorite movies! Of course, there will always be questions asked about movie plots and directions, I can surely do without them! Expand
  10. Jan 10, 2013
    Track your parcel, because this is one FedEx package you're going to want on time.
    At almost two and a half hours in length, this is no walk in the park, or island for that matter, but Tom Hanks throws himself into this so much its hard to know what the clocking in time is.
    In the first ten minutes we start to see a convincing ad for FedEx to use concerning time on delivery, but that is besides the point.
    Hanks has one of those styles where we immediately feel sorry for whatever dire situation he finds himself in, his story in Cast Away is no different.
    But the film separates itself from anything you will have seen before. almost carried solely by Hanks, we have his character, FedEx systems analyst Chuck Noland, stranded on an unknown island due to a tragic plane crash, with nobody else there, he must fend for himself, and this is where we see Tom Hanks at his very best. Through is performance and Robert Zemeckis direction, we see a story of taking each day at a time if this sort of situation arose, not a 'right heres what Im going to do' type story, that is unrealistic, we see him licking water from a leaf for goodness sake, it brings everything to the table, being alone, emotional withdrawal and lengths we would go to just to stay alive, who ever thought of needing the dentist while on a deserted island.
    Hanks delivers a stellar performance, his weight loss as the film progresses is clearly visible, another indication of ability to to place himself in the mind of whoever he is portraying.
    This film was of course the birth of the infamous 'wilson ball' friendship which Hanks had with a simple blood stained Wilson ball, this was ahidden message within which was in are darkest and most despaired moments, its simplest things we can turn to, no matter who or what, to realise who we are and what we are capable of.
    What was surprising the most was how Hanks convinced us how alone he really was, talking to 'Wilson', fighting with coconuts and attempting to escape, it was all these realistic and yet simplistic gestures which created a thrilling journey and emotional performance from Hanks. It was definitely the quieter moments with no dialogue that really showed the capabilities of of Hanks, so much more than Forrest Gump on a desert island.
    FedEx need to maintain a reputation after this film, Hanks, on the other hand, has nothing to prove, see this to believe the brilliance.
  11. Jan 5, 2015
    Absolutely a great preformance by Tom Hanks with directing to match his talent. All I can say is Tom Hank's acting job in this film is pretty much the only thing that can make anyone feel for a inanimate object!
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    Robert Zemeckis' "Cast Away" is a movie that is not only a revolutionary piece of film, but it is as poignant and affecting as they come. One of the most interesting and, often, unsung aspects of "Cast Away" is that Zemeckis and his crew basically crafted this movie on the fly and during production. In fact, the whole concept of "Wilson The Volleyball" was not conceived until about halfwayRobert Zemeckis' "Cast Away" is a movie that is not only a revolutionary piece of film, but it is as poignant and affecting as they come. One of the most interesting and, often, unsung aspects of "Cast Away" is that Zemeckis and his crew basically crafted this movie on the fly and during production. In fact, the whole concept of "Wilson The Volleyball" was not conceived until about halfway through shooting. Another interesting aspect of the film is that a very large portion of it has no dialogue, yet it still remains highly entertaining experience. Much of the film's complexity comes from the incredibly moving performance as Chuck Noland, a FedEx engineer who is tragically separated from everything he loves. Which leads me to another point, and, possibly, my favorite aspects of "Cast Away" - the themes conveyed. The movie is deeply driven by the central idea that life can be cruel and unforgiving thing, but that shouldn't stop us from pursuing something better. This theme is accentuated to an enormous degree by the movies soundtrack by Alan Silvestri. Though the soundtrack is absent throughout most of the first half of this movie, the movie's main theme is slowly introduced towards the end of the film. It's a very solemn musical piece that effectively illustrates the pain the Chuck Noland experiences throughout the movie, but it also presents a sort of hopeful tone to the film. In the end, I feel that "Cast Away" presents a number of innovative and impressive techniques that, ultimately, make it a near-perfect film. Expand
  13. Apr 30, 2013
    You cant think that movie without Tom Hanks. He is amazing, one of my favorites.
    The story is wonderful, full of felings and very realistic. You feel like you are lost in the island with mr. wilson.
  14. Oct 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic movie with a great sense of immersion due to the lack of music which also makes a realistic feal. Cast away is a fantastic (but really sad movie. Literally, I balled when he lost Wilson) movie with a great performance from Tom Hanks. Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2015
    Tom Hanks gives an absolute stunning performance as a Fed-Ex worker who is stranded on a deserted island from a plane crash. Using only his wits and the contents of the packages that wash ashore he struggles to survive. One of my all times favorites!
  16. Sep 29, 2015
    An incredible, adventurous heartwarming survival story. It really gives us an idea of how we would feel, physically and mentally when our fast-paced, enjoyable and exciting life is tragically stripped away from us and slowed to a crawl as we are far away from home, lonely and tested extremely. A great example if how people change when they are castaways.
  17. Nov 29, 2015
    Just your typical, business manager, on a flight delivering FedEx packages, then a life altering event. Marooned on an island, with no survival skills, what do you do? How he survives, how he overcomes, to return to the life he knew is the subject of this movie. How many of us have thought about what we would do in this situation? A modern day Robinson Caruso story. I don't have manyJust your typical, business manager, on a flight delivering FedEx packages, then a life altering event. Marooned on an island, with no survival skills, what do you do? How he survives, how he overcomes, to return to the life he knew is the subject of this movie. How many of us have thought about what we would do in this situation? A modern day Robinson Caruso story. I don't have many DVDs but this one is in my collection. Expand
  18. May 15, 2016
    Remains one of the more vividly transporting films I've come into contact with.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-514-Cast-Away-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  19. ToddT.
    Sep 12, 2001
    Am I the only one that loved the final act! The movie greatly surpassed my expectations, and I greatly prefer it to "Forest Gump".
  20. KevinV.
    Jan 5, 2004
    One of my very favorite movies of the last 5 years, but not for everyone. Requires a viewer predisposed to examine his own values and the direction of his own life. A quiet meditation from a skilled filmmaker (Zemeckis) and actor (Hanks).
  21. Oct 6, 2012
    I found this a totally absorbing film; one of those that make the time pass much more quickly than you expect. You very quickly get involved in the story and you find that you actually care about this man stranded on this island. You really want him to survive and get back to the woman he loves; and you feel his pain when things don
  22. Feb 22, 2011
    Really Good only 8 because of the visual effects when he crashed on the island
  23. Feb 9, 2011
    What a great movie! It's brilliant. The idea, the acting, the dramatics. everything is fabulous. This movie shows in a very realistic way how a human being adjust and live in solitude. The deep feelings and emotions keeps you with high pulse till the end. After you've seen this movie you live different among your friends and just sometimes you scream 'Wilson!!!' when you are alone.....
  24. Jun 16, 2014
    Cast Away is a great old-school adventure movie with an amazing performance from Tom Hanks. Kudos for the film getting along with minimal dialogue and actually making us cry over a volleyball.
  25. Aug 27, 2014
    To carry 75% of an entire film all by himself is an impossible task. Leave it to Tom Hanks to make the impossible, possible. There is no doubt that you will be moved.
  26. Jun 30, 2015
    Exciting, funny, and powerful, Cast Away features a killer performance from Tom Hanks. An incredibly well known film, there is not much new to be said about Cast Away other than to say that I really enjoyed it. It was brilliantly acted by Hanks and damn, the film made us care about a volleyball. Sure, it is a bit by-the-numbers in the way things happen and the film itself breaks little newExciting, funny, and powerful, Cast Away features a killer performance from Tom Hanks. An incredibly well known film, there is not much new to be said about Cast Away other than to say that I really enjoyed it. It was brilliantly acted by Hanks and damn, the film made us care about a volleyball. Sure, it is a bit by-the-numbers in the way things happen and the film itself breaks little new ground, but that is just fine by me, as long as it is well done. In the case of Cast Away, that is certainly the case. It is very well directed by Robert Zemeckis and very well written. Other than Hanks, nothing about this film is excellent, but all of it is good all the same. The special effects here were also really well done and the crash sequence was brilliantly executed and packed with excitement. This one really puts you through every emotion possible, which ultimately, is what film is supposed to do. Overall, Cast Away is a very well made and brilliantly acted film that entertains in bunches. Expand
  27. Oct 18, 2012
    Cast Away don't have an amazing direction.Tom Hanks and that screenplay stole the film.The director,Robert Zemeckis didn't do an amazing direction.Do not trust the part of the trailer ''For the Academy Award winning director of Forrest Gump''.The cinematography did it by John Burgess also he didn't do it OK.If you see it but you don't like it see Forrest Gump to try.But,despite all thatCast Away don't have an amazing direction.Tom Hanks and that screenplay stole the film.The director,Robert Zemeckis didn't do an amazing direction.Do not trust the part of the trailer ''For the Academy Award winning director of Forrest Gump''.The cinematography did it by John Burgess also he didn't do it OK.If you see it but you don't like it see Forrest Gump to try.But,despite all that the rest is OK,including the sound mixing. Expand
  28. May 25, 2014
    Cast Away is an amazing film Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks hit it out of the park again no doubt about that. Its been years since i have watched this film and thats a shame really becuase it is brilliant i first watched it when i was about 9 or 10 and even back then i loved the film dispite it being a long slow biulding movie. The performance by Tom Hanks was absolutely phenomenal its myCast Away is an amazing film Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks hit it out of the park again no doubt about that. Its been years since i have watched this film and thats a shame really becuase it is brilliant i first watched it when i was about 9 or 10 and even back then i loved the film dispite it being a long slow biulding movie. The performance by Tom Hanks was absolutely phenomenal its my second favorite just below Forrest Gump a film him and Zemeckis both worked on together. Tom Hanks was on a hot streak in the 90's through the early 2000's with top notch films like Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can all of them amazing films oh yeah plus the voice acting in Toy Story 1 and 2.

Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks) works for FedEx as a systems analyst he travels worldwide resolving productivity issues at FedEx depots. Around Christmas time he is called in to resolve a problem in Malaysia leaving his girlfriend Kelly Frears (Helen Hunt) behind. While on his way to Malaysia his plane enters a horrible storm and later crashes into the Pacific Ocean. Chuck is the only survivor left on the plane and he ends up floating to a uninhabited island by an inflatable life-raft. He spends a little over four years on the island alone fighting the elements to stay alive and fighting himself to stay sane. The only thing keeping him company is a vollyball he calls Wilson that washed up on shore along with some other FedEx boxes he ends up opening them all but one saving it as a mental reminder to keep fighting for his survival. He builds himself a big enough raft to go over the waves that surround the island he floats for days before being saved. From here we see him re-adjust to life and get back in touch with his old girlfriend who has since moved on and has a family. The movie ends with him delivering the last box and choosing the next path in his life.

Overall i give it a 8.0 A great film for sure i do understand why people crap on the movie with all the product placements but seriously get over it all movies do it.
  29. Oct 28, 2013
    I felt all of emotions in this island that Tom felt. Only I want to say this review. Perfect emotions can come to your heart with this story. But Now I am so scared aircrafts:)
  30. Nov 29, 2014
    The grippingly realistic 'Cast Away' is anchored by a spellbinding performance by Tom Hanks and mature direction by Robert Zemeckis to overcome its flaws.
  31. Mar 13, 2015
    Cast Away is a very powerful film, but expressed through a subtle way. The music for this film is also very impressive and heart gripping! With excellent acting from Tom Hanks, you feel like you are almost abandoned on the island with Tom.
  32. PatC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    A modern American Robinson Crusoe, with his man Friday convincingly played by the contents of a parcel that absolutely positively washed ashore overnight. Doesn't have the zing of an epic, but otherwise is believable and absorbing. Life indeed is what happens while you are making other plans. Meanwhile, other people make plans while you continue to live. Good performance by Hanks. He A modern American Robinson Crusoe, with his man Friday convincingly played by the contents of a parcel that absolutely positively washed ashore overnight. Doesn't have the zing of an epic, but otherwise is believable and absorbing. Life indeed is what happens while you are making other plans. Meanwhile, other people make plans while you continue to live. Good performance by Hanks. He had a ball on the island. Best supporting actor should have gone to Wilson for maintaining an appropriate facial expression and remembering his lines. Expand
  33. YoonMinC.
    Oct 27, 2003
    A mainstream Hollywood production(big budget, big name director and actors)reaching for meaning and significance and barely making it to shore. Hanks plays a pushy workaholic American who flies around the global village for Fed Ex. He's blind to everything except his career and his love interest. Stranded alone on an island after the plane crash he's forced to readjust to a A mainstream Hollywood production(big budget, big name director and actors)reaching for meaning and significance and barely making it to shore. Hanks plays a pushy workaholic American who flies around the global village for Fed Ex. He's blind to everything except his career and his love interest. Stranded alone on an island after the plane crash he's forced to readjust to a radically different kind of existence of surviving on bare necessities, of cyclical time, and in utter loneliness. He's forced to become a primitive and a mystic, succeeding reasonably well as former but not so much as latter, mostly babbling to an imaginary friend in the form of a volleyball. The movie has a somewhat pompous Biblical thrust where modern man is forced into a vast timeless conundrum. As years pass Hanks comes to resemble a prophet meditating in the wilderness. Sadly, the movie focuses far too much on Hank's physical struggle for survival and not enough on his mental struggle to maintain sanity or to attain some kind of peace(for that, there's the truly great Woman in the Dunes). Still, the movie's recalls some of the best moments of Contact--also by Zemeckis--where, too, the protagonist attains a measure of wisdom and humility only after undergoing a profoundly transformative adventure. Hanks hams it up a little in the final scenes but is otherwise immensely likable. Helen Hunt though no great beauty emanates spiritual beauty. Expand
  34. Aug 17, 2011
    For me this one was a dissapointment. Don`t get me wrong. I fully agree with Hanks` Oscar nomination for this role. I guess he is the only thing holding this film from being a failure. The music is good, though it doesn`t go too well with what we`re watching. The effects and pictures are well made, though they do not contribute in any better way. I divide this film into chronological 3For me this one was a dissapointment. Don`t get me wrong. I fully agree with Hanks` Oscar nomination for this role. I guess he is the only thing holding this film from being a failure. The music is good, though it doesn`t go too well with what we`re watching. The effects and pictures are well made, though they do not contribute in any better way. I divide this film into chronological 3 pieces. The first one is good, mostly because there is realatively alot of happening and we see the planecrash. The second one I found to be boring. Here, as much as Hanks tried to keep me interested, it didn`t really work as there was not much content to it. We see how he tries to survive on the island, how he builds his home and what difficulties he faces. There is not enough psychology to the main character which would serve the movie well in this central time-piece. It seems that the director didn`t really have an idea how to portrait it. The third piece of the movie is going home, watching how time went by and how things changed. It is supposed to be sad inspite of a miracle that brought Chuck back. Also Helen Hunt didn`t get a chance to shine, as she plays it roughly average. A movie that is nice to see but doesn`t manage to execute too well. Expand
  35. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: Tom Hanks. He really makes this tale believeable and the whole situation feels so real thanks to him.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does appear to drag out a little in the middle as it is just a man on an island (but Hanks just manages to pull it back)
    VERDICT: A well acted film that lacks plot. But Hanks rectifies that with another amazing performance.
  36. Mar 27, 2016
    Director Robert Zemeckis and star Tom Hanks take tremendous risks -- both dramatic and commercial -- and for the most part succeed, in "Cast Away." In this bold and unique story about a single character stranded on an island, a top-notch Hanks holds the picture on his shoulders with a bravura perf.

“Cast Away” bears thematic resemblance to “Forrest Gump,” the earlier Zemeckis-Hanks teaming, in its focus on the personal journey of an Everyman. But the 1994 Oscar winner spanned decades and numerous locales, with its hero the only constant; however, the bulk of the new pic is confined to one setting and a much tighter time frame, depicting in detail the moral odyssey of one man.

Hanks, who serves as a producer, plays an ambitious FedEx system engineer whose life, run with the precision of a Swiss watch, is shattered when his plane crashes, leaving him alone on a remote island.

The narrative is divided into four asymmetrical parts. Set in 1995, the first segment establishes Chuck’s manic personal and professional lives. His fast-paced career takes him, often on a moment’s notice, to far-flung cities such as Moscow, away from his loving g.f., Kelly (a splendidly understated Helen Hunt). Returning home on a FedEx plane, Chuck can’t wait to spend Christmas Eve with Kelly. But a mechanical problem on the plane causes a terrifying crash, filmed with unprecedented, gritty realism. In the second segment, Chuck is forced to deal with the most basic biological needs. Film plays up well the irony of a career-driven man, used to solving problems, faced with the most urgent problem of all: sheer survival.

Cut to four years later. Tale now finds Chuck trim and muscular, sporting long blond hair and a bushy beard and stripped to a Tarzan-like outfit. Having mastered the four basic needs — food, water, shelter and fire — he begins to deal with his need for companionship.

While his memories of Kelly are essential to Chuck’s survival, he also establishes an unusual relationship with “Wilson,” a volleyball washed ashore inside a FedEx package from the doomed flight. Playing a crucial role, Wilson rescues Chuck from solitude as well as depression. This fellowship also allows Chuck to speak — after an hour’s worth of mostly silence.

Driven forward by the strength and struggles of its hero, “Cast Away” takes admirable risks while avoiding pitfalls. Story stays close to the ground, literally, maintaining a coherent p.o.v., with Chuck the center of attention; there are no cuts to society’s or Kelly’s reaction to Chuck’s disaster.

Fate gives Chuck a chance to fight his way back to civilization in a daring escape, only to face an unexpected emotional challenge that, in many ways, is more demanding than the physical ones he survived. Though there’s closure, the last segment deviates refreshingly from a conventional Hollywood ending.

Building a script, based on journals of shipwreck victims, William Broyles Jr. creates a skillful work in which events and emotions are brought to life with sparse dialogue and little music; the first melodic sound is heard 90 minutes into the story.

Pic is replete with ironies and subtle humor. As a FedEx exec, Chuck is dedicated to connecting people all over the world, but the yarn throws him into a situation in which he is disconnected from everything. Moreover, the island’s pristine beauty and serenity stand in contrast to Chuck’s civilized life. The irony is that for most people the Fiji islands rep tropical paradise, whereas for Chuck they become a prison.

And Zemeckis gives the film heart, depicting Chuck’s efforts to get water, make a knife out of stone, and (in one of the film’s most humorous scenes) crack a coconut.

The film revolves around a key question: Once you have learned to survive physically, how do you survive emotionally and spiritually? While Chuck opens the FedEx packages that have washed ashore, he decides not to open one that’s adorned with angel wings, which becomes a symbol of hope — one he holds onto even after his return.

More problematic is the suggestion that if Chuck hadn’t lost everything, he would never have come to understand what’s truly important. It’s here that the film gets excessively academic and metaphysical. Ultimately, “Cast Away” is about realizing the true meaning of belonging, of finding home, casting away the clutter that complicates life in an effort to rediscover what matters.

This issue comes into focus in the last reel. The helmer shows again his mastery of mise-en-scene: Chuck’s return to civilization is so brilliantly staged that it almost makes up for the unexciting spots at the center.

It’s hard to imagine this film without the captivating perf of Hanks, who reaches another height in an already impressive career. Filmed in sequential order, “Cast Away” may be the only pic shot in two parts over 16 months, with a one-year hiatus to allow for Hanks’ physical transformation.
  37. GlynnG.
    Sep 1, 2001
    Why Helen Hunt? Her irritatingly bad performance took away from what was a great Tom Hanks performance.
  38. Sep 2, 2012
    I like survival movies and this one met my needs. Tom hanks really got into the role by losing and gaining weight. It has a good emotion but the movie is slightly overrated. .
  39. Sep 2, 2012
    Tom Hanks really put a lot into this movie. My favorite character though is, Wilson. A classic story that was brought to the big screen with humor and sadness.This movie is kind of scary in a way too.
  40. OzzieM.
    Jul 22, 2001
    Great backgrounds and effects. But the ending and the story really stunk. Not enough exploration was done on the on the real star of the movie...the island!
  41. NedD.
    Sep 14, 2001
    Great plane crash. I hope I haven't spoiled the only reason to see this movie. Unless watching Tom Hanks learn to eat a coconut is your idea of great entertainment.
  42. Aug 25, 2011
    Tom Hanks is an actor who almost never fails. And, to be honest, he does not fail in this. It is the movie around him that fails; a largely vapid drama, devoid of tension or insight into a horrifying situation, and simply interested in showing off Hanks' acting. We've seen Philadelphia, we don't need proof.
  43. PaulW.
    May 4, 2006
    very superficial. This guy spends 4 years alone in an island and the only things he learn is to fish. I find this unrealistic. In a situation like this anybody would need to find a reason to live, to go deep inside oneself. That is totally missing.
  44. DamianP.
    Jun 17, 2001
    Someone said to me "not many actors could have pulled off that role". Well, Hanks didn't. I want my money back, my back side was in agony after sitting through all that drivel.
  45. ScottC.
    Jun 19, 2001
    What a waste. Bad ending. Bad theme. Cast a whats the point!

1. The island phase of Hanks' performance is simply amazing.
    While "Robinson Crusoe" was a paean to the practical middle-class virtues that allowed its industrious hero (and the nation he represents) to re-create civilization out of nothingness, Cast Away is a far less triumphalist peek into the nothingness at the heart of civilization.
  3. This is no film for the squeamish.