Columbia Pictures | Release Date: January 26, 2007
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 70 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JenniferB.Feb 1, 2007
Kevin Smith has REALLY let himself go. He's gone past the "fat Elvis" stage and will soon be up there with Brando around the time he did Don Juan. I felt bad for him throughout the entire movie and couldn't concentrate on the plot.
ChadS.lMar 17, 2007
Gray (Jennifer Garner) never watched "When Harry Met Sally". If this fetchin' widow did, she would've recalled Harry's warning that there's no such thing as a platonic friend (if the woman is gorgeous), and would've Gray (Jennifer Garner) never watched "When Harry Met Sally". If this fetchin' widow did, she would've recalled Harry's warning that there's no such thing as a platonic friend (if the woman is gorgeous), and would've found a more practical way to grieve over her fiance. One friend gets lucky, one carries around a torch, and one is too depressed to notice that a hot babe just crawled into his hospital bed. "Catch and Release" is sort of like "The Big Chill", but these thirtysomethings live the life on a full-time basis. When Gray sleeps with one of her male friends, we're supposed to feel like it's morally acceptable, because what's good for the goose (cooked goose, in this case) is good for the gander. However, the argument can be made that Gray would've hooked up with this guy in spite of her fiance's indiscretion. She's attractive; he's attractive; it was inevitable. Juliette Lewis, in her best role since she was Mallory("Natural Born Killers"), pumps fresh blood into "Catch and Release" just before these old friends become insufferable. The film missteps when it hurries the relationship between Gray and Maureen (Lewis). Before they broke bread, en route to amicability, there should've been a catfight between the two women to help convince us that Gray's loss was worth basing a whole movie around. There's not enough heartbreak (over her fiance's passing), or angst (over her fiance's affair) on Gray's part to make the audience happy for her newfound happiness and life. Expand
gregt.Jul 8, 2007
"I don't know what others were expecting from this movie" was a common statement in the users comments... how about.. plot.. direction..screenwriting... ANYTHING AT ALL.. really pathetic...
ReidF.Jan 27, 2007
This movie never rises above mediocrity. In fact, that would be something to strive toward. If you like uninteresting characters doing stupid things, strung together by boring acoustic guitar solos, this movie is for you.
RickK.Jan 27, 2007
I will never forget this movie -- because of how BAD it was. I was just shaking my head walking out of the theatre saying, "How does stuff like this ever make it to film?"
MikeJan 28, 2007
[***SPOILER***] I did not connect with the characters. There was very little humor and the wrong guy got the girl. Unfortunately, in this case the nice guy finished last.
RyanJan 28, 2007
I'm not sure what people are expecting from this movie. A sweet movie, that I didn't have to think about. And Kevin Smith was frakking hilarious!
PnArdyPnArdyMay 13, 2007
I would give it a five. A rather nice, but sometimes too artificial drama romance with Jennifer Garner (Alias) - a love triangle with an unnaturally happy ending.
[Anonymous]Jan 28, 2007
Cute movie... good for a date.
KristyW.Jan 28, 2007
I really liked this move. The characters made choices that weren't always neat and typical "movie" choices, but the type of choices people really make. Kevin Smith was really funny and Jennifer Garner and Timothy Olyphant had great I really liked this move. The characters made choices that weren't always neat and typical "movie" choices, but the type of choices people really make. Kevin Smith was really funny and Jennifer Garner and Timothy Olyphant had great chemistry. I really don't know why others didn't enjoy this movie. Expand