Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 4, 2001
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 89 Ratings
WATCH NOW
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
A short, sweet, romp that would've worked a lot better as a half-hour show on Nickelodeon.
MovieLonely94Oct 26, 2010
this movie is totally incredible.
GamecubeLoverJul 21, 2016
The people who say this movie is "incredible" IS LYING TO THEIR SELF. This movie is like that terrible show Dog With A Blog but a bit worse. THIS MOVIE SUCKS!
LayneAug 4, 2003
Why do you see movies like this? Because it's fun to verbaly bash them, that's why! So, I'll get to the bashing: the acting, other than the brilliant animal acting (ha,ha), is a waste of screen, the CGI is so embarrasingly Why do you see movies like this? Because it's fun to verbaly bash them, that's why! So, I'll get to the bashing: the acting, other than the brilliant animal acting (ha,ha), is a waste of screen, the CGI is so embarrasingly fake it's a wonder why they didn't just remember the glory of blending traditionaly drawn characters with actors, like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam. But when you're done bashing, there are always moments in those films in which you love to look back on. There are few to look back on here, but enough for a 4. Expand
NedD.Oct 28, 2001
Stunningly bad. Granted, it is a children's movie, but I didn't expect the intelligence level to aim so low as to boggle the mind. No one over the age of 8 could possibly find anything remotely entertaining about this mess. The Stunningly bad. Granted, it is a children's movie, but I didn't expect the intelligence level to aim so low as to boggle the mind. No one over the age of 8 could possibly find anything remotely entertaining about this mess. The special effects are mildly diverting, but the incoherent story, asinine attempts at humor and mind-numbing stupidity sink what should have been a delight. It's just very, very sad. Expand
MariaW.Jul 16, 2001
The plot was a little far-fetched, and depending on the age of the child who sees this, they may have a hard time understanding it. The movie held my interest for a little while and then halfway through the movie I couldn't wait for it The plot was a little far-fetched, and depending on the age of the child who sees this, they may have a hard time understanding it. The movie held my interest for a little while and then halfway through the movie I couldn't wait for it to end. When they put this movie in stores, I don't think it will be a big seller. Also, the effects weren't that good. I think they tried to hard and they used too many special effects techniques for the talking and the fighting scenes. Expand
ColeL.Nov 17, 2001
A good child's movie with clever plot and bizzare story line. This movie has good spunk, but it has such bad acting, that the film wasted my time. Do see this bad excuse for a movie.
EdwardH.Nov 5, 2001
I liked it. I want to buy it!
MichaelC.Oct 5, 2001
A movie I happily say will be enjoyed by all family members, even teenagers will find it hard to bust a gut laughing at cats screaming ?Our day has come!? I couldn?t resist chuckling very loud at the cinema. The jokes were all extremely A movie I happily say will be enjoyed by all family members, even teenagers will find it hard to bust a gut laughing at cats screaming ?Our day has come!? I couldn?t resist chuckling very loud at the cinema. The jokes were all extremely original like the rest of the movie and all of them succeeded excellently. While the movie does work resoundingly well as a comedy, the drama area is not the one for Cats & Dogs. There are many cheesy father-and-son moments and boy-and-his-dog and they aren?t played out or written properly, losing points for the flick. However, I still loved the comedy and action, it was hilarious and I really got into the spirit of this movie. And I just loved that dog kennel! Press your hand (or paw) on the back and computers and gadgets whiz out at you. That red button dog train service just takes the cake. The voices for the movie were all good, particularly Sean Hayes? take on the evil Mr. Tinkles. The live-action acting was alright, with Elizabeth Perkins putting on the best show, but the voice-overs were just fabulous, over-ruling the live-action acting like the dogs over-rule cats at the start. But how does it all finish? Who wins the war? Who will you root for? Go and see this original and ultimately cool movie and find it, it?s well worth it. Expand
StephanieB.Jul 10, 2001
Not the best movie in the world, but a hilarious movie all the same. Great plays on the personalities of the animals portrayed, and the levels to which the humor is taken makes it all the more hilarious!
DonD.Jul 23, 2001
This movie lives up to one of its names - a dog! Nary a laugh from any kids in the audience. The trailer misrepresented the true production. Another lame movie for our kids!
RobertB.Jul 8, 2001
A bit disappointing, as it wasn't as funny as I expected. Sure, it has some great moments, but it didn't rock my face off or anything.
MichelleP.Nov 10, 2002
I'm only giving this movie a 2 because it had only 2 things I like about it: the dogs (which are my favorite animal that I'm obsessed with), and hearing the sweet voice of Tobey Maguire (who voiced the oh-so-adorable beagle, Lou). I'm only giving this movie a 2 because it had only 2 things I like about it: the dogs (which are my favorite animal that I'm obsessed with), and hearing the sweet voice of Tobey Maguire (who voiced the oh-so-adorable beagle, Lou). But though I love dogs much more than cats, I thought the movie left out an awful message about cats. It's been a tradition for cats to be villains. Think about it: Sylvester who constantly pursues the obnoxious Tweety (who's SUPPOSED to be "sweet"), Tom who pursues the obnoxious Jerry, the cat from "Cinderella", the cat to who the villain Dr.Claw holds, and (our favorite) Dr.Evil's pet cat. Felines aren't as loyal to their owners as canines are, but is that really a sin? And this film's plot was unbearable as well, it didn't even have a single good sub-plot to make up for its mess. Expand
PatC.Jan 13, 2004
It did everything but strive for excellence. And I'm not sure what the target audience was. Maybe there's 3 days just after one's 8th birthday where this one really hits home.
KennyZ.Oct 19, 2001
I liked this movie when I saw it. When I was there, everyone was laghing. Kids and adults. I thought the plot was good but could have ben better. The best part was the cat Mr. Tinkles.
TrystanS.Nov 7, 2002
Cats & Dogs was one of these movies that was like, hillarious!I laughed alot, and yet didn't completely lose my head. This was a cool comedy and I did have a lot of laughs, it was great!
KittyC.Jul 24, 2004
Surprisingly original with a large amount of wit to go with the great gags for children.
spielbrick90Aug 10, 2011
This film for me isn't very good, I liked it when the bad cat was driving around a limousine but just don't think it is very entertaining, like dogs and cats though.
ZilcellJun 11, 2012
It brightly mixes the fun and humor. The animals have very distinct personalities and there is enough screen time for the villain characters as well.
PeppersReviewsApr 27, 2012
It was cute.
Final score: C+
WriteFilmLive21Mar 16, 2013
You need look no further than the back of the DVD case to realize "Cats & Dogs" is going to be a cheesy CGI romp-fest from the get-go. And trust me it, it is a VERY cheesy, VERY CGI romp-fest, right down to the "Mission Impossible"-styledYou need look no further than the back of the DVD case to realize "Cats & Dogs" is going to be a cheesy CGI romp-fest from the get-go. And trust me it, it is a VERY cheesy, VERY CGI romp-fest, right down to the "Mission Impossible"-styled music and gadgetry, ninja cats, and a feline thirsting for world domination by way of a plan centering around a scientist's upcoming formula for a dog allergy cure. The story? Eh. The effects? It might take some work to get past them at points. The only reason I still kinda like this movie is because, for however many times it falls flat, there is some memorable comedy to be found mostly from the main cat villain. "Stand still I need to crush you." "I want you to stay here. Because I hate you." This is another of those rather over-the-top, silly villains, but here there are a handful of moments that I think make the movie well worth watching every now and again. Hell, at a few points it even comes close to being emotionally heartfelt. It's another guilty pleasure for me. Expand
EpicLadySpongeJan 14, 2016
When you mix Mission: Impossible with pets, you get this except you only get cats and dogs in the movie. This was a very cool idea, but really too cheesy at the same time.
StannyCartvskiSep 16, 2016
This movie sucks hard. A terrible movie because cats are made bad. Dogs should be the bad ones here! I'm terrified of pitfalls and bichons suck. Plus, there were just terrible graphics.