7.0

1. Aug 10, 2013
    Two hours of my life I will never get back. Should have followed our instincts at about the 25 minute mark and bailed at that point. Live and learn I guess.
  2. Nov 7, 2012
    When a comedy has as little plot as Cedar Rapids, it should at least be funny. John C. Really is a great actor and can be downright hilarious; however, his character, who is meant to be the wild card, only made me frown.
  3. Sep 30, 2012
    Didn't think it was that funny. Was a rather generic comedy that you would expect from an indie movie. It was ok and worth taking a risk on if you are a fan of Helms but other then that, It's worth passing on.
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    A funny film which is well worth a view, Cedar Rapids surprised me as, if I am being totally honest, I was not expecting much from the picture. It was paced well and funny in a lot of parts, one of the hidden gems in a genre which is entirely dominated by one man, Judd Apatow.
  5. Jun 30, 2012
    Great Funny movie. Really enjoyed it. Overall it's a great, fun movie to watch. A. . .
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    Starts out like crap but slowly becomes slightly better as the movie goes, I can see why this went straight to DVD in Australia, I found it hard to watch but I stuck through it anyway, Helms is a decent lead but it's John C. Reiliy that steals the entire film. Support cast is pretty good as well with the likes of Anne Hesche, Stephen Root, Sigourney Weaver and the black guy from The Wire. this movie is best to be watched once and then re-visited when your bored of your DVD Collection. Expand
  7. Feb 17, 2012
    Quirky, dry, at times vulgar, but this story of a coming-of-age insurance salesman (yes...I wrote that) played by the seemingly typecast Ed Helms as a naive, middle-aged man learning about love and business while trying to maintain his integrity and heart-of-gold. About as unreal as it gets, the story is adorable and sweet with well-written characters played by a talented ensemble including John C. Reilly, Isiah Whitlock and Anne Heche. This threesome embraces young-at-heart Tim Lippe while also learning a bit about themselves and the lives they've allowed themselves to get sucked into as tacky insurance salespeople. The result is a warped moral and an unlikely happy ending. Expand
  8. Dec 20, 2011
    It was ok but i just didnt like it that much. Very few funny parts and it wasnt all that interesting either. The acting was solid though ,as expected, and I am sure people would enjoy it but dont keep your expectations high.
  9. Dec 18, 2011
    Mr Helms should get an award for making me believe that there could be someone as naive and shut off from the "real" world as his character. But he does. Many times he was just on the brink of me saying"No way; no one is that out of touch". Mr Reilly, Mr Whitlock and Ms Heche are excellent turning in top notch characterizations. I was nodding in agreement as there characters developed. The story is the usual let's expose the two-faced leader of the pack and our hero does the right thing and comes out on top. And that's okay, just nothing new here. The acting is what makes it worth seeing. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2011
    Such a terrible slow start, what starts out as a corny mess of crap FINALLY becomes good about 40-45 minutes after you've been trying to convince yourself to keep watching anyway. Seriously half of this movie could have been cut and it would have been better.
  11. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    The cast is great in this film, John C. Reilly is particular is dynamite. I'm usually not a fan of his more comedic stuff like Talladega Nights and (the horrible) Step Brothers. When you have a great cast, you can make an average, predictable story very entertaining.
  12. Sep 11, 2011
    The TV ads painted an unflattering picture, but I decided to give this one a shot. This was a fun little comedy with a talented cast playing their usual roles. Loved the cameo from Rob Corddry.
  13. Aug 23, 2011
    Cedar Rapids hits and misses but most of the time it is a hit. What brings this movie down from a 9 to a 7 is the obvious plot change at the 3/4 mark of the movie. It was hard to follow, but John C. Reilly was the glue with his obnoxiousness and comedy. Ed Helms played his role perfectly and surprisingly never got the show stolen from him by Reilly. Solid Film and worth a watch, and a few laughs. 7/10 Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2011
    What's brown and sticky? A stick. Great movie. Ed Helms is his amazing self and John C takes on more of a lovable role. Very pleasant and definitely worth a watch.
  15. Jul 6, 2011
    Bringing more smiles than disorderly cachinnation, "Cedar Rapids" is a film whose low-key, ordinariness makes for a comedy that is innately delightful; braced by solid performances that welcome you at the door, show you around, and 'Got You' when you need them. Selling insurance never sounded so good!
  16. Jul 5, 2011
    great movie. i enjoyed it. it was very funny. John C Reilly and Ed Helms are funny as hell. its a good solid movie. this surprised me. it was hilarious. some scenes will have you crying.
  17. Jul 3, 2011
    In my opinion this is an overall good movie. The story is great, and very funny through out the whole movie. I also think the acting is great, especially Ed Helms, and John C. Reilly. If you are a fan of comedy, you should definitely see this movie.
  18. Lyn
    Jun 25, 2011
    I'm not sure the world needed one more "clueless naive guy gets stoned for the first time and goes bonkers!" scene in a movie. However, the overall spirit of this film is winsome and appealing. The supporting actors, especially Reilly and Heche, do a great job of making some basically sleazy behaviors seem not just amusing, but endearing, because people's hearts are in the right place.
  19. May 28, 2011
    With John C.Reilly at full bore wacky hilarious you know you can't help but love this movie. I was so pleasantly surprised at how funny it is. One of the best comedies of the year that toys with Hangover territory and had me cracking up. It's a little slow getting in gear, but once John C.Reilly bursts on the scene all hell breaks loose in the extremely repressed world of star Ed Helms.
  20. Mar 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Judging by the insurance salesman's reaction to his roommate, racial diversity must not be one of Brown Valley's strong suits. Intruder is the salesman's first instinct. Via cell phone, he tells his lover Macy(Sigourney Weaver), "There's an Afro-American man standing in my room." A black insurance salesman, imagine that. Tim Lippe(Ed Helms) is certainly not in Wisconsin anymore. Sent as a replacement for a dead colleague to the annual Two Diamonds Convention in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in short order, the country mouse boards his first airplane, unknowingly gets propositioned by a hooker, and meets Ronald Wilkes(Isiah Whitlock Jr.), the aforementioned Afro-American who inspires fear and trepidation in the provincial conventioneer. Slow to make eye contact, Ronald's friendly comportment soon dispels the negative media images of African-Americans that may have collected in Tim's mind over his lifetime which would make the country bumpkin feel ill at ease without any provocation. Taking no offense to Tim's perceivable discomfort with the rooming arrangements, Ronald establishes common ground with the ignorant, but innocent naif, by reminding him that they're members of the same profession, showing him his billboard advertisement on the computer in a voice that would make Bryant Gumbel proud. Sounding more like Wayne Brady than Flava Flav, Tim settles down, realizing for the first time that not all black men are gangstas. Later in the film, similar to Brady's famous turn as a murderous pimp on Comedy Central's "Chappelle Show", Ronald puts on a little minstrel act when he emulates Omar from HBO's "The Wire" in order to rescue his white friend from further injury in a party brawl. Employing a "blacker" voice, Ronald says menacingly, "I always keep one in the chamber," just like how Brady broke away from his white-friendly speaking delivery with gusto, delving into ghetto-speak with a vengeance, popping off such memorable bon mots as, "Riverside, mothaf*ckers!" and, "Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b*tch?" During their getaway, Tim's previously misguided preconceptions about black people turns up when he comments that Ronald was talking like a "gangsta person". By watching Ronald play a character, Tim(and the moviegoer) gains some valuable insight to the social pressure that black people face from their brethren to be more "ethnic", or risk ostracization if they're deemed "too white" and educated for comfort. This masquerade of "keeping it real" works because those Anglo-American partygoers are confronted by(and believe in) the media's image of the black person, and not Ronald himself, who is as suburban as the next guy. It's a real possibility that he hangs around exclusively with a white crowd. Also in the fleeing car, along for the ride with this merry band of bacchanal agents(including a very funny John C. Reilly) is Joan Ostowski-Fox(Anne Heche), a married woman with two children, whom Tim has a brief fling with. Joan's ability to compartmentalize the ribald times she has in Iowa from her boring domesticated life back home recalls Alex(Vera Farmiga), the frequent flier with baggage who seduces the light traveler Ryan Bingham(George Clooney) in Jason Reitman's "Up in the Air". Ironically, Tim, despite being hopelessly naive and unworldly, practically a virgin when it comes to flying, is able to walk away from his one-night stand with the seasoned adulteress, whereas Ryan, the cynical and jaded world traveler, who logs more miles than can be counted, meets his match and is never the same again. Expand
  21. Feb 21, 2011
    Usually today's movies are either crude for the male audience or sweetly romantic for the female. Somehow this sleeper of a hit manages to provide solid gross jokes while making you something for the lead characters. Ed Helms (Hangover) plays the perfect naive small-town guy thrust into the "big" world of a convention in Cedar Rapids. John C. Reilly is the obnoxious agent with a touching story driving the smokescreen, Anne Heche is the party agent escaping a dull, dead marriage, and Isiah Whitlock Jr. (The Wire) surprises us will a small, quiet yet critical performance. The innocence and coming of age without seeming stupid or dumb really makes this movie shine. The the twist at the end provides you with a reason to come back and see it again. Expand
  22. CBZ
    Feb 20, 2011
    Its an Ok movie to go on a sunday. Don't expect it to blow your mind, the plot is not very elaborate, but at the same time you dont feel like the movie is going nowhere. It has fun parts and quiet parts making an overall decent movie. I didnt feel like i wasted my time or money watching it.
  23. Feb 14, 2011
    I don't watch The Office, but I like Ed Helms - especially in The Hangover. However, John C.Reilly dominates this movie, and he's hilarious. Absolutely makes the film. Anne Heche is also terrific - her career has been on a great path. Love to see her in the more supporting roles. She handles them with nuance.
  24. Feb 13, 2011
    It takes fifteen minutes to get going, but when it does, you're gonna laugh your butt off. I loved this movie and will probably go see it again before it leaves theatres. Great script, great actors, and flat out hilarious. Go see this movie today!

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Apr 25, 2011
    One of those sunny-natured indie comedies that comes out of nowhere to put a smile on your face.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 11, 2011
    It's a decent comedy, mind you, one with its fair share of chuckles. But it's really more amusing than it is fall-out-of-your-seat funny.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Mar 9, 2011
    This movie embraces its inner yokel.