5.8

1. Feb 13, 2012
    The movie is bad. Dwayne Johnson is terrible as usual and the script is downright awful. Thank the lord that at least I watched it in IMAX 3D, which increased my rating to like a 4.
  2. Feb 20, 2012
    My 9 year old daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed this movie!! In fact, I told her I was going to buy it when it came out on dvd!! :) I think people giving this a very low rating are pretty harsh, and a bit stuffy!!
  3. Apr 30, 2012
    Due to uneven pacing, cheesy dialogue, lacking ambition like the stories have, and losing Brendan Fraiser's charm. Thanks to it being quite funny, visually stunning, and bringing plenty of visual and frightening thrills it is worth the money for a solid adventure flick. It just doesn't live up to its predecessor. I give this movie 52%.
  4. Aug 21, 2013
    I liked the 3D effects but not the overall visual effects. Although a fun movie with a great story, the overall movie itself is a tossup despite having the acting and the scripting significantly flawed.
  5. Feb 12, 2012
    Bad acting, bad spesial effects and bad script! The overexposed Vanessa Hudgens was horrible. The Rock was just there because of his muscles. I prefer the prequel. This movie is just plain bad.
  6. Aug 31, 2012
    Good wholesome family fun. It's funny and filled with some pretty cool moments, and is backed by great acting by the cast. The plot is surprisingly well thought out that ties in well and references with popular books like Gulliver's Travels and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It will make for an enjoyable movie to watch with the family.
  7. May 20, 2012
    A delightful movie for the children. A terrible movie to sit through for an adult. If a Movie ever was made via a paint by numbers route., Journey 2 is a text book example.

A great movie to bring your kids. Just make sure you have your ipad with you and a great set of headphones.
  8. Dec 12, 2012
    Let's face it, this is not the type of movie you pit against the classics or try to take too seriously - nor should you be expected to. With Dwayne Johnson as a lead you probably also know what you're getting into when you see it on the shelf, though I admit, I did find him enjoyable in a goofy sort of way. All that being said, Journey 2 is good for what it is. Provided you can manageLet's face it, this is not the type of movie you pit against the classics or try to take too seriously - nor should you be expected to. With Dwayne Johnson as a lead you probably also know what you're getting into when you see it on the shelf, though I admit, I did find him enjoyable in a goofy sort of way. All that being said, Journey 2 is good for what it is. Provided you can manage your expectations it's not a bad film. I found it entertaining and would probably watch it again with my young nephews since even the "scary" parts aren't that bad for younger audiences. Plus, all the book references they throw out in the movie could maybe even lead to them picking up one of the novels - and that's fine in my book....pun intended. Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2012
    Of course The Rock isn't going to shine much in this film, although, this is one of his better performances. This film is harmless fun and the effects are pretty good. It spends little time on story and slingshots the audience onto the Mysterious Island. They want us to spend most of our time there, and I can't say that I blame them. As always, Michael Caine is a delight and Hudgens givesOf course The Rock isn't going to shine much in this film, although, this is one of his better performances. This film is harmless fun and the effects are pretty good. It spends little time on story and slingshots the audience onto the Mysterious Island. They want us to spend most of our time there, and I can't say that I blame them. As always, Michael Caine is a delight and Hudgens gives the male audience something to look at. Beyond that, I can't say much more other than the aforementioned: it's harmless fun and the effects are pretty good. Kids will eat this up like ice cream! Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2012
    Aside from a wasted opportunity in the center of the film, Mysterious Island was a quick, frothy good time. Certainly not a memorable experience on all fronts but effective in its entertainment value, the film delivered some interesting sequences: namely the bee chase and the a sequence involving a gigantic electric eel. The problem I noted is that the film did not capitalize on theAside from a wasted opportunity in the center of the film, Mysterious Island was a quick, frothy good time. Certainly not a memorable experience on all fronts but effective in its entertainment value, the film delivered some interesting sequences: namely the bee chase and the a sequence involving a gigantic electric eel. The problem I noted is that the film did not capitalize on the concept of the big beasties as well as it should have. For example, a dangerous trek through the most horrifying part of the island is summed up in a montage that features no giant creatures or any survivalistic actions. Simply put, the segment plays out like a Sunday stroll. The acting was pretty good though nothing to write home about. It is the breathtaking views the island presents that seal the deal, serving as a perfectly exotic backdrop for some thrilling action sequences. Expand
  11. May 24, 2012
    Im not gonna say its not a fun movie . Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is definitely a fun and entertainment movie . But it failed to pass the original . The worst thing of the movie was its script . It was too week and childish . It felt like they didn't even care about the script . There was so many things on the movie and nothing was shown perfectly . and they showed The MysteriousIm not gonna say its not a fun movie . Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is definitely a fun and entertainment movie . But it failed to pass the original . The worst thing of the movie was its script . It was too week and childish . It felt like they didn't even care about the script . There was so many things on the movie and nothing was shown perfectly . and they showed The Mysterious Island with a bow on it.
    Brad Peyton;s direction wasn't bad , he show the island beautifully but Eric Brevig did a lot better in the first film .
    as for the cast , really missed Brendan , the movie could have been a lot better with him in it . Johnson did good in the lead role but as i said Brendan was so much better. As for Josh i think he is getting weaker . He was so good in the first film but in this one he was not at all . Vanessa was hot , beautiful and sexy but about half of the time i felt like she was re-acting too much . In the beginning if the Q4 when she saw her father was gone she literary smiled !!!!! and as for Michael & Luis Guzman , they were the worst and maybe their worst acting role was this .
    N ow lets talk about the location and special effects .... WOW , Amazing , Awesome...... the best and the most awesome thing that kept me going through the whole film . I love Hawaii and it was Hawaii with effect of Mysterious Island and it was super . all the effect shots were stunning. Loved it and 90 of my positivity goes to this part.
    Overall Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was a fun movie with a super bad script with amazing Special effects . Waiting for the trip o the Moon if they work on the story.
  12. May 5, 2012
    This is clever adventure movie, even if the story does get out of hand. Dwayne Johnson gives a decent performance here as well.
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    There is no limit to the worst, the horrible performances of Dwayne Johnson and Vanessa Hudgens are an example of incompetence. The film is a bad copy of Jurassic Park and one of the worst films of the year so far.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Luis Guzman is by far the most watchable part of this mostly boring, unwatchable garbage. His moments of levity make up for some serious overacting by The Rock, Josh Hutcherson and Vanessa Hudgens. Poor Michael Caine to be associated with this show. The tiny elephants were sort of cute.
  15. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie isn't fantastic or anything but it is quite entertaining. Sure, there are several cheesy 3D elements, the plot development is mediocre, and it's essentially a very childish version of a National Treasure or Da Vinci Code or Indiana Jones type of film. That being said, Luis Guzman's character is absolutely hilarious, Vanessa Hudgens is freaking super hot, and the childishThis movie isn't fantastic or anything but it is quite entertaining. Sure, there are several cheesy 3D elements, the plot development is mediocre, and it's essentially a very childish version of a National Treasure or Da Vinci Code or Indiana Jones type of film. That being said, Luis Guzman's character is absolutely hilarious, Vanessa Hudgens is freaking super hot, and the childish adventure has a certain element of charm to it that makes it enjoyable to watch. I also thought this was a little better than the previous film (Journey to the Center of the Earth) with Brendan Frasier. Obviously this isn't a cinematic masterpiece but it's a film that I think most people would like and it's a perfect film to watch with the family and with kids. Expand
  16. Feb 19, 2012
    I don't know what to say about the script and plot. It's just ridiculous and unlogic. Mix 3 books to 1 movie, interesting idea!? However, the scenes and special effects are really beautiful. How can I say no to those gorgeous colors? And the 3D is also satisfying, way better than the effect in The Smurfs. Generally speaking, it will be a perfect film for children.
  17. Feb 11, 2012
    I can't say that it film the best or very gut. I have seen more interestings film like Harry Potter or Transformers or Tron: Legency and I thought that it will be more interesting!
  18. Feb 11, 2012
    Journey 2 is just a pleasant movie. Yes, some moviegoers would say it looks incredibly dumb; being that The Rock is stooping down to kid humor again. But, really, in order to enjoy something like this, you have to embrace the silliness and joy that radiates when The Rock isnâ
  19. Feb 22, 2012
    OK movie. It really is pretty harmless for any kids, and there is nothing in the movie that should really make people hate. Dwanye Johnson as usual puts on a bland performance and Josh Hutcherson tries his best to save the movie, but I guess it mildly succeeds as a kids movie and nothing more.
  20. Mar 2, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie -All of it-. Yes there were some flaws like the over exposed Vanessa Hudgens but you must remember that this movie was not intended for an in-deep analysis.It was an entertainment movie, nothing more. The acting was good while not incredible, but the story line was well-written. I highly recommend this movie.
  21. Mar 12, 2012
    I saw it with my best friend and we both loved it! I think this was a really well done movie one of the better ones. This is my new favorite movie! The way that they make the next movie more obvious with Josh Hutcherson, Sean, says the title aloud. In Journey to the Center of the Earth he just reads the title and I your not paying much attention you might miss it I know because I watchedI saw it with my best friend and we both loved it! I think this was a really well done movie one of the better ones. This is my new favorite movie! The way that they make the next movie more obvious with Josh Hutcherson, Sean, says the title aloud. In Journey to the Center of the Earth he just reads the title and I your not paying much attention you might miss it I know because I watched it several times then after a I saw Mysterious Island I then noticed the title. I really enjoyed this movie! Expand
  22. Apr 1, 2012
    I went to see this by myself at the movies. I looked like such a knob but the one thing that I loved about this movie was the ELEPHANTS! hahaha amazing! and so cute! Rating is down for the idiocy of the main guy whose the Scorpion King.
  23. Jun 10, 2012
    The best PG movie in a long time. This was a great science fiction adventure, even better then the first movie, with an amazing plot and great action. You need to get this whenever you are near a redbox machine.
  24. Jul 23, 2012
    Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, the sequel to 2008's Journey to the Center of the Earth plays out as standard escapism, but of the lowest common denominator. The visuals aren't sub-par, but are not as seamless as other less ambitious hollywood releases like it and they don't particularly mesh well with the sets. The characters seem to be plainly drawn and even veteran Michael Caine asJourney 2: The Mysterious Island, the sequel to 2008's Journey to the Center of the Earth plays out as standard escapism, but of the lowest common denominator. The visuals aren't sub-par, but are not as seamless as other less ambitious hollywood releases like it and they don't particularly mesh well with the sets. The characters seem to be plainly drawn and even veteran Michael Caine as the grandfather doesn't redeem this movie's mediocrity. That is the worst thing to do when crafting a film, not making it terribly, but making it run of the mill stuff. Basically, the film's positive highlights are this: the afore-mentioned visuals, Vanessa Hudgens in a tank-top, and Dwayne Johnson, particularly in a scene involving a berry-flick-by-his-pecs, which seems to take place out of nowhere. Basically, they're walking through the jungle, Josh Hutcherson says something about girls, then Dwayne Johnson says: "Here Josh. I'll flick a berry off of my nipple and that will obviously help you with your girl problems". Then he flicks several berries off of his nipple. It made no sense but was the only ludicrously enjoyable moment. Basically, Journey 2 is just a movie going through the motions with little sense of adventure and thrill and a diluted feeling of fun. I would catch it on Starz or Cinemax whenever they require the rights, and only if you're bored. Expand
  25. Jul 3, 2012
    This movie is great fun for the kids in more ways that one. It's best not to take anything Dwayne Johnson does too seriously. He has limitations as an actor, but at least he has a good strong, positive personality and can carry a movie like this with aplomb. I recommend this to anyone who has one or more kids under the age of 11. My kids now want to see more Jules Verne films, and whoThis movie is great fun for the kids in more ways that one. It's best not to take anything Dwayne Johnson does too seriously. He has limitations as an actor, but at least he has a good strong, positive personality and can carry a movie like this with aplomb. I recommend this to anyone who has one or more kids under the age of 11. My kids now want to see more Jules Verne films, and who knows maybe even pick up one of his books as well. That can't be too bad, can it? Expand
  26. Dec 8, 2012
    It`s a good movie and a good adventure but its not as good as Journey 1. Its worth watching and better then the avr. movie but nothing Amazing like I was hoping for.
  27. Mar 11, 2014
    this movie has a wild forest and it is creative and fun . but it is not something i find fun to see like the fact theres a another journey movie . i love the adventure and the creatures but something i am not looking for
  28. Apr 1, 2014
    Ho hum. Mediocre writing, cheesy acting, so so CGI (except the bee fight, which was great). Ray Harryhausen would have done better. See the 60s classic Mysterious Island instead.

1. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Feb 16, 2012
    The second installment in a likable family franchise, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island makes a nice case to your kids that reading books is a good idea.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Feb 10, 2012
    For all the special effects – like its predecessor, this is in 3-D – the film coasts on Johnson being charming and Caine being Caine.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Feb 10, 2012
    It's a thoroughly family-friendly film, with a subtle message about the importance of father figures. Don't expect anything resembling believability, but enjoy the blend of strikingly colorful visuals and banter between odd couple Johnson and Caine, which combine for a mild escapist treat.