6.5

1. Nov 12, 2010
    Loved it. The story played out well and the acting was great. Overall it was a very enjoyable movie and I see no major issues with it except for maybe a few cliches.
  2. Jan 6, 2011
    So so. The script doesn't develop the characters beyond archetypes and it's all a bit flat by the end. Just to point out to bradleybossard, without seeming pedantic hopefully, the action of the film doesn't take place in the 'highlands of northern England', but, of course, the highlands of northern Scotland.
  3. Jan 18, 2014
    I think this movie has been unfairly underrated by critics. With a compelling and thrilling storytelling, in addition to Michael Fassbender's solid performance and director Neil Marshall's success in making use of visual effects, Centurion precisely depicts the realistic horror and brutality that faced Roman legionnaires in their conquest of Britannia. I love history, i love the Romans, and, most importantly, I'm a great fan of Michael Fassbender, so I recommend this film with no hesitation at all. Expand

Marshall, who helmed the underrated horror film, "The Descent," has a flair for the visual. Some of the mountainscapes, captured by use of a helicopter, are nothing short of spectacular.
  2. Marshall shows off the breathtaking landscape, but with interiors, he populates the ale houses and encampments with cliches - like dueling female warriors, one a mute and the other a white-haired vixen.
    Even if the movie had more shadings, though, Marshall's political point would undo his he-man action-flick format. If you're looking for a rallying cry to make the emotions sizzle, "Quagmire!" isn't it.