Changing Lanes

8.8

1. Melissa
    May 10, 2002
    Although it holds your attention it could have been a lot better. The title also has nothing to do with the plot.
  2. MiltC.
    Apr 24, 2002
    Great story, could have been a great movie. Ben Affleck's flat, one note performance choked what could have been a great movie. This was unfortunate because everyone else made really their characters come alive.
  3. DonK.
    Apr 28, 2002
    Could have been sooo much better! No plot dev. No character dev. Does anyone know who sings the BOB MARLEY REMAKE of Turn Your Lights Down Low at the end? Email me if you do please: tdeyulia@rpginternational.com. Thanks.
  4. MarcK.
    Oct 28, 2002
    With all the great reviews this film received, I was really looking forward to it. I couldn't believe how bad it was. It was completely unrealistic and contrived...completely!
  5. TonyB.
    Oct 9, 2005
    It has a point to make and succeeds in making it. A number of contrivances, the worst being having a NYC public school open on Good Friday, could have been avoided.
  6. ChadS.
    Apr 18, 2002
    [**Potential Spoiler**] The acts of revenge Affleck and Jackson inflict on each other should be of equal proportion. We're not supposed to side with either man. But Jackson's character goes too far in one instance, and our sympathies are with Affleck. This is a mistake. The movie already had us involved with its good acting and story. They should've let the stuntmen sit this[**Potential Spoiler**] The acts of revenge Affleck and Jackson inflict on each other should be of equal proportion. We're not supposed to side with either man. But Jackson's character goes too far in one instance, and our sympathies are with Affleck. This is a mistake. The movie already had us involved with its good acting and story. They should've let the stuntmen sit this one out because you might have a hard time liking Jackson after this scene. If you don't, that means the corporate lawyer(Affleck) is the better human. Expand
  7. GauriS.
    Jun 17, 2002
    This movie could have been much better.
  8. WilliamH.
    Sep 16, 2002
    +5 points for the ... ending and the cool scene with a 3-wheeled mercedes, -5 points for the complete lack of common sense, logic, self-control and sensibility. would i spent my time better by going for a bike ride? absolutely.
  9. Sep 28, 2012
    Changing Lanes is a decent movie dealing with ethics and human nature. It does, however, have the odd nonsensical plot-hole to infuriate you with. That annoyance aside, Changing Lanes is solid stuff.
  10. Apr 3, 2014
    This one was nothing more than ok. Ben Affleck and Samuel L. Jackson are both good in their roles and really help to elevate this film. The story is ok, but my main complaint has to do with the fact that the character development was extremely uneven and muddled. For example, both characters have moments where they are good guys and try to be honest, but then the next scene they areThis one was nothing more than ok. Ben Affleck and Samuel L. Jackson are both good in their roles and really help to elevate this film. The story is ok, but my main complaint has to do with the fact that the character development was extremely uneven and muddled. For example, both characters have moments where they are good guys and try to be honest, but then the next scene they are absolutely despicable human beings at the drop off a hat in order to get revenge. If this is some comment on society, then this one takes itself a little too seriously. If this is simply what they came up with, then the writers need to be a bit more creative. The constant horrendous acts by both sides made it hard to root for either side, in spite of my trying to identify with them, only for them to totally ruin that over-and-over. On top of that, their acts of revenge were a little far fetched and over the top. I guess the point is that nothing is off-limits for these guys, but I just had a hard time believing that any of this could happen as the film tried to claim.

Overall, Changing Lanes is pretty much a run-of-the-mill thriller with solid acting and definite intensity than teases you constantly. Throughout, I wanted to love it and really invest myself in it, but I never could, because right as the film would start to open itself up to me, it would turn its back and get cold once more.

1. New York Daily News
    Reviewed by: Jack Mathews
    Gets too caught up in its escalating violence and strained-to-bursting moral subtexts. It's the blood of souls drenching the screen, and it's a hideous sight to behold.
    What these guys do for revenge during one hellish day in the Big Apple makes the panic room look like Barney's toy box. The film itself goes off the deep end way before the end credits.
    Rarely have I seen a film so willing to champion the fallibility of the human heart.