6.5

1. Sep 3, 2010
    I simply can't wrap my mind around how this movie has such high critical scores. Personally, I think Tim Burton is a visionary genius, but he can only work with stories that his type of directing specializes in: outcasts. In this movie, Wonka isn't an outcast, he's just weird and even creepy at times. All this balanced out by not-so-great songs and a cast that simply can't beat the original. Not the worst film, but overrated at the very least. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    This movie sucked. It completely changed from the original movie which I love, and the books. I have no idea why this movie was even made. WHY!? WHY DID THEY MAKE IT?!!
  3. Mar 26, 2011
    Tim Burton takes the original mediocre movie and makes it worse, the acting sucks and the characters and acting is crap there is no reason to see this movie at all.
  4. Aug 29, 2014
    I held higher hopes for Tim Burton on the reigns for this remake. Johnny Depp also gives a disappointingly creepy turn as Willy Wonka. Yes, there are some tasteful visuals but not much more.
  5. Jun 29, 2013
    As a big fan of the original I may be unfairly critical, but when you remake a classic you should be held to a high standard which this film fails to deliver.

1. Here's a film about kids and for kids that has not lost touch with what it is like to actually be a kid.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Entertaining and fabulously imaginative in many ways, this second bigscreen rendition of the late author's modest morality tale on the wages of unbridled excess sports excesses of its own.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    This is rather a thin tale, not much thickened by Burton's direction or Depp's playing. There's a distance, a detachment to this film. It lacks passion.