Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 15, 2005
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 433 Ratings
WATCH NOW
papeadojhonApr 5, 2015
Benefited with an excellent performance from Johnny Depp and enhanced with a touch Tim Burton, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an entertaining trip to the eccentric world of Willy Wonka, which definitely surpasses the original movie.
throastJan 9, 2015
A satisfying movie with stunning images and a wonderfully right amount of glee and satire. Also, (i read this in a lot of negative reviews) this movie wasn't supposed to be a remake at all, it was meant to be another interpretation of theA satisfying movie with stunning images and a wonderfully right amount of glee and satire. Also, (i read this in a lot of negative reviews) this movie wasn't supposed to be a remake at all, it was meant to be another interpretation of the book which Tim Burton totally succeeded in doing. Expand
hanneguacamoleJul 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As the lesser younger brother, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory does its job. It tells the story of the lovable Charlie Bucket but largely forgoes the Willy Wonka. What we're left with here is Johnny Depp as an unconvincing chocolatier. How are we supposed to take him seriously with his ridiculous attire and creepy mannerisms? He's giving away a chocolate factory; not running a child prostitution ring!

But forgive me, Roald Dahl. I'm not dissing your story. For what it's worth, I love the story. The chocolate and the candy and the factory was so amazing to me as a child. I loved the splendor and the fantasy that came along with it. I also loved watching this particular version as well, if even just for the opening credits. I think the movie works despite the semi-failure of one of the major characters. Each child is portrayed just as they should be with their respective flaws. They were as enthralling as they were revolting.

I also commend the cinematographer. How one manages to so accurately capture a child's imagination is beyond me, but I remember sitting in the theater in Kansas City watching this movie like it could have happened in my own head. Tim Burton creates a world with distorted humor in Willy Wonka's past and exuberant juvenility in the world he's created for the future – the factory. But of course, those still existing in that age won't notice. It's our dirty little secret.
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
A great movie , great design in the world in production of Willy Wonka 's factory , and a good plot, then failed the first film from how long ago , but it was very good .
CharlieBetterIsJan 6, 2016
Tim Burton, como sempre, fazendo ótimos filmes que marcam época! E a Fantástica Fábrica de Chocolates não é diferente. Esse filme marcou minha infância. Ele é muito bem produzido, com uma história simples, encantadora e até crítica em certosTim Burton, como sempre, fazendo ótimos filmes que marcam época! E a Fantástica Fábrica de Chocolates não é diferente. Esse filme marcou minha infância. Ele é muito bem produzido, com uma história simples, encantadora e até crítica em certos aspectos, fazendo-o um filme grandioso Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 1, 2016
For another Willy Wonka installment, it's weaker against the original 1971 movie. (I know, it's based on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory book). It's still enjoyable and nothing's wrong with that.
FuturedirectorAug 1, 2016
With an enthusiastic storytelling and a wonderfully talented cast are wath makes from Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a trully enjoyable, unforgettable and satisfying adventure that complies it's purpouse.
superbatSep 5, 2016
Even though the 1971 movie is better, Tim Burton's remake is still an achievement. This movie has better special effects, great acting (especially from Johnny Depp) and is delight from beginning to end. A great experience.
MasterRileyFeb 15, 2017
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a wondrous movie that while not as good as the original, is still a fun ride and enjoyable to watch. Charlie is great in the movie, but unfortunately some of the other kids are not as good. It has its upsCharlie and the Chocolate Factory is a wondrous movie that while not as good as the original, is still a fun ride and enjoyable to watch. Charlie is great in the movie, but unfortunately some of the other kids are not as good. It has its ups and downs, but I would recommend giving it watch if you haven't seen it yet. Expand
ILOVEMOVIES04Jan 13, 2017
The person who said this is an example of a movie that shouldn't be remade is right. I don't care what anyone says or how close this movie is to the book, it was TERRIBLE. The original was way better despite it not being close to the book.The person who said this is an example of a movie that shouldn't be remade is right. I don't care what anyone says or how close this movie is to the book, it was TERRIBLE. The original was way better despite it not being close to the book. The cast was memorable, the songs were memorable. And best of all Gene Wilder brought out the best in Wonka were as Depp made him into a creepy MJ wannabe. I read the book and even though this movie included Charlie's father and his occupation, and the ending with the cast off kids, it still fell short. Especially when they included Wonka's daddy dentist issues. Expand
markgunmaMay 2, 2017
Willy Wonka...he's the key to everything. He sparked the excitement and he laid down the rules to the lucky winners. The original had a sense of intrigue about what really would happen to those awful kids. There were lessons to be learned;Willy Wonka...he's the key to everything. He sparked the excitement and he laid down the rules to the lucky winners. The original had a sense of intrigue about what really would happen to those awful kids. There were lessons to be learned; there was redemption for Charlie; there was meaning to those oompaloompa songs. This version was all flash and absolutely no soul, no lessons, no redemptive values. I should have known that when the critics fawn with such great effort, it is likely to cover up their idols' horrendous misplays. I give it 'one' for the technology and 'zero' for everything else. Expand