Millennium Entertainment | Release Date: November 15, 2013
6.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 35 Ratings
WATCH NOW
FilmQueenOct 22, 2015
Shia Labeouf, Evan Rachel Wood and Mads Mikkelsen are good, but the story is boring. The idea of Charlie Countryman imagining dead people talking to him and giving him directions is the most stupid basis for a story.
JalumbiApr 27, 2015
Though having its dull mistakes, director Fredrik Bond takes ''Charlie Countryman'' to a point where the viewer forgets all of its errors and fall in love of Charlie's Bucarest.
horizonbtsFeb 22, 2015
This was kind of a dark movie, with underlying tones, still with that said the story and characters take you on an adventure of love, drugs, and mystique. Shia Labeouf pulls it off and Evan Rachel Wood is casted well as his love interest inThis was kind of a dark movie, with underlying tones, still with that said the story and characters take you on an adventure of love, drugs, and mystique. Shia Labeouf pulls it off and Evan Rachel Wood is casted well as his love interest in Romania. At first you might wonder where the plot is headed, but develops in a nice story, and the pace quickens as Charlies love interest has a dark side in her life. Much suspense, intrigue, and action ensues as the story comes near the end. It is a well done movie that might not be for all, but worth a shot if your looking for something fresh! Expand
grahamswaggJul 7, 2014
Did you like Drive? Did you like Spring Breakers? This movie is very similar. Great music, simplistic writing, and great cinematography. Taste is relative. If you like movies similar to the two I mentioned then you will probably like thisDid you like Drive? Did you like Spring Breakers? This movie is very similar. Great music, simplistic writing, and great cinematography. Taste is relative. If you like movies similar to the two I mentioned then you will probably like this one. It is less serious than Drive and more serious than Spring Breakers. The cast is great, the music is great, and the movie is great for the type of movie that it is. It's a love story through and through. A young man travels to Romania on a whim and holds on to the love he finds no matter the cost. Loss, love, and sacrifice are all strong elements of this movie. I thoroughly recommend it. Expand
Raupao123Jan 29, 2014
Let me start saying, if you like Danny Boyle's movies, you definitely need to watch Charlie Countryman. This is one of those movies that you need to avoid the critic reviews.
Charlie Countryman was amazing. It was visually and emotionally
Charlie Countryman was amazing. It was visually and emotionally stunning, allowing us to draw parallels between the main character and us, in very different ways. It shows things we feel, and it portrays them in a movie beautifully.
This is a movie about love, adventure, dreams, and what we want in life. It was filmed with extreme care and detail, and all the actors did a tremendous job. It's artistic direction reminded me very often of Danny Boyle's movies. Especially The Beach and Trance. The soundtrack as well, which is excellent. I don't really want to synopsis the plot of the film, since this movie is best watched without knowing what you're in for. Just think of it as a trip or a journey. It's open for interpretation and it's best that way.
I had to write this since i saw almost nobody watched this film, and the ''critics'' (i would call them cretins on this particular case) for some reason seem to hate it. Try this movie out, i'm sure most of you will love it.
LeZeeJan 25, 2014
Not good as I expected, but okay. Even the performances were not much recognizable, but the characters were very catchy for the uniqueness. In this movie, everything was about the strange and weird way of story telling. The mix betweenNot good as I expected, but okay. Even the performances were not much recognizable, but the characters were very catchy for the uniqueness. In this movie, everything was about the strange and weird way of story telling. The mix between fantasy and realistic was well done. Something was lacking in the movie, it got a stylish presentation, but not the proper scenes in many portions. But still enjoyable like having two minds about it.

It tells the story of a young man Charlie Country. After his mother who was in coma dies, he leaves the country to spend few days in Romania. Then he meets a girls Gabi and falls in love without knowing her background. Like the movie 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World' he has to face his strong opponent to win her. As he knows the risk how smart he would act to gain his desired girl is the movie of the rest.

I did not find any similarity in the interaction between the characters Charlie and Gabi, what we call it a chemistry, right!. One of the major problems the movie had along in my opinion. Other than that I liked Gabi as individually, she was very attractive in the role and costume. Mikkelsen was as usual very good. His role was a major one, but did not have sufficient screen space. And Shia were okay, sometime, in some parts I thought he overdone the role Charlie. Overall, I find it a good movie, but not the best.
Trev29Dec 9, 2013
Not as bad as it looked, but it is still a weird cliché ugly looking film. The ending was somewhat entertaining, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be laughing or not, but I was.
csw12Dec 1, 2013
The movie is nearly a failure. The movie seemed like a wasted opportunity to make something interesting but instead falls into a boring bloodshed of characters I couldn't care less about. As for the story, there is none.
jzmeNov 21, 2013
I personally like this movie but I probably am bias because I adore Shia Lebeouf. He is brilliant by the way & surely, one of the best actors in this generation. I like the dream like essence of this movie, but the plot didn't give enoughI personally like this movie but I probably am bias because I adore Shia Lebeouf. He is brilliant by the way & surely, one of the best actors in this generation. I like the dream like essence of this movie, but the plot didn't give enough details to how things happened. Everything kind of happened too quickly and was more of a touch and go. But way to go Shia, I see a bright future ahead of him, and Oscars are on the way. Expand
godmoliNov 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BOLD, POWERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL
A absolutely stunning performance giving from all actors especially Shia it truly shows the raw acting talent he has
As i being directed by a guy who made car commercials, Charlie Countryman knows when to show of its
unique style and music
The story was short and bitterly sweet with a dark romance hidden inside
With out a doubt this is one of the best movies to come out this year and a great turning point for Shia
Jamie391Nov 16, 2013
Charlie Countryman is just a fantastic movie.
Charlie Countryman is just a fantastic movie.
The cast are great with Shia Labeouf, Evan Rachel Wood and Mads Mikkelsenm playing spectacular roles as the main characters. They fill the roles with so much passion and emotion, this is what really helps to connect to a movie of this sort.
I must also say that the music fitted in perfectly well with the screenplay and it also brought in such an amazing feeling and connectivity as I watched.
There just a real depth and richness about this movie that so many movies fail to capture these days.
All things into account, Charlie Countryman 10/10
ThegodfathersonNov 16, 2013
With a moody score and lighting that blooms off the screen, Charlie Countryman is rarely gripping, but its enigmatic nature and overt charm should be enough to keep minds from wandering.
AKINWHALENov 15, 2013
I honestly don't see where all the negativity is coming from. It is one of the best movies i have ever watched, great music, great photography and great actors.
Its a easy 10/10